PDA

View Full Version : OK, Im coming around to trading Peters

X-Era
12-22-2008, 08:38 AM
I looked at this:

Trade Peters for a top 10 pick and a 3rd... hell even 4th.

Draft Aaron Curry AND Greg Hardy or Michael Johnson. If it were me, I would learn from the Giants and STILL add Peppers. They had Strahan and Osi at the same time. THAT is how you show your serious about trying to beat the Pats and win the division.

Then parlay the extra pick to move up to early 2nd and get Alex Mack or Chase Coffman

DAMN!!!! Thats a stellar draft! Add in Graham Harrell later in the draft

In FA, go after a Matt Birk, and/or Vernon Carey

Walker starts at LT, Chambers starts at RT.

At that point, sign a guy like Bertrand Berry

patmoran2006
12-22-2008, 08:43 AM
Not happeninggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

DraftBoy
12-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Nobody is going to give up a top 10, let alone first round pick in this draft for Peters when he wants a new deal. You got guys like Smith, Monroe, Smith, and Oher all as projected 1st Round future LTs in the NFL. Peters is very good but I don't see his value as that high on a trade market.

trapezeus
12-22-2008, 08:54 AM
how can you trust this front office with picks? The only players they've hit on the last 8 years have been total lucky picks like Peters and now hopefully johnson.

Marshawn is the only reliable 1st rounder we have over 8 years. If you have a stud, you keep a stud. Peters is young and good. No way you trade him.

X-Era
12-22-2008, 09:02 AM
Nobody is going to give up a top 10, let alone first round pick in this draft for Peters when he wants a new deal. You got guys like Smith, Monroe, Smith, and Oher all as projected 1st Round future LTs in the NFL. Peters is very good but I don't see his value as that high on a trade market.

The keep him, anything less makes us worse not better

X-Era
12-22-2008, 09:03 AM
how can you trust this front office with picks? The only players they've hit on the last 8 years have been total lucky picks like Peters and now hopefully johnson.

Marshawn is the only reliable 1st rounder we have over 8 years. If you have a stud, you keep a stud. Peters is young and good. No way you trade him.

McKelvin, Whitner, Poz, Lynch, and Evans all were very good picks.

Unfortunately McCargo and Losman were horrible picks

But if you get Curry and Hardy or Johnson... those are solid picks period.

jamze132
12-22-2008, 09:13 AM
If someone in the top 10 wants to overpay for Peters, then I would consider it, otherwise, I'll take a top 5 LT in the NFL and keep him for myself...

Dr. Lecter
12-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Trading Peters and not extending would be the dumbest thing this team has done in years and that covers a lot of ground.

DraftBoy
12-22-2008, 09:44 AM
The idea of Walker at LT and Chambers at RT for a full year scares the **** out of me.

CuseJetsFan83
12-22-2008, 09:44 AM
the fact how well they played yesterday without peters is a sign there is life without him BUT unless you get a very very generous offer..... i don't see ralph trading jason away

Pride
12-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Franchise him and if the right offer comes in, trade him.

baalworship
12-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Trading Peters is as smart as trading Vanek for the Sabres. Can't we be just glad that we have a top player?

Dr. Lecter
12-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Franchise him and if the right offer comes in, trade him.

Do NOT trade Peters. No way.

DraftBoy
12-22-2008, 10:44 AM
You trade Peters you set the franchise back 3 years easily. It would be the dumbest move the Bills have made in the last 24 years of me being a Bills fan.

TacklingDummy
12-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Trade Peters, we need help in other areas.

Chambers/Walker can get the job done.

justasportsfan
12-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Give the guy the money. I don't want to make the same mistake we made by letting Pat Williams go because we were too cheap to give him what he's worth.

HHURRICANE
12-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Trade Peters, we need help in other areas.

Chambers/Walker can get the job done.

Wow, I just cannot believe I have to read posts like this.

People ***** that we don't have the talent but when we do have the talent than they ***** because they want to get paid.

Peters sucks because he wants to get paid?

He's making half of what Dockery makes for a position that is supposed to be the highest paid on the line. Yeah, nothing to ***** about.

DynaPaul
12-22-2008, 04:52 PM
How about we just make him play out his contract before ponying up anymore cash?

JJamezz
12-22-2008, 05:23 PM
Wow.. I guess I'm not quite as far removed from the years of musical chairs at LT as some of you guys are.. I say pay the man & lock up the left side of your line for the foreseeable future.

Mahdi
12-22-2008, 05:30 PM
I looked at this:

Trade Peters for a top 10 pick and a 3rd... hell even 4th.

Draft Aaron Curry AND Greg Hardy or Michael Johnson. If it were me, I would learn from the Giants and STILL add Peppers. They had Strahan and Osi at the same time. THAT is how you show your serious about trying to beat the Pats and win the division.

Then parlay the extra pick to move up to early 2nd and get Alex Mack or Chase Coffman

DAMN!!!! Thats a stellar draft! Add in Graham Harrell later in the draft

In FA, go after a Matt Birk, and/or Vernon Carey

Walker starts at LT, Chambers starts at RT.

At that point, sign a guy like Bertrand Berry
Name 1 team in the last 15 years that has traded away a top 5 LT. No team is dumb enough to trade away a player that solves one of the biggest areas of concern on a football team, a Qbs blind side.

And on top of that we play in a division where we face Pace, Adalius Thomas and Porter 6 times a year. Plus next season we will also face the NFC south which means John Abraham, Gaines Adams and the Bucs D, Will Smith, and Julius Peppers. Thats 10 games where we face the top pass rushers in the NFL. Yeah, lets trade Peters and throw Chambers in there long term, we can also write off the playoffs for 2009 while were at it.

Kenny
12-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Jesus... another dumb thread.
Trade away Peters for a Top10 pick?

There is no guarantee that any of these guys in the draft will pan out. Look at Gholston from last year, then there's Derrick Harvey, -heck even the DTs that were drafted from NO and KC (the fact that I forgot their names should give a good indication on how 'good' they've played this year).
On the OL? has or is anyone as good as Peters? Other than Joe Thomas or maybe D'brick Ferguson, -there isnt anyone drafted on the OL over the past years I'd rather have than Peters. Heck, -what happens if we end up with a Robert Gallery?

I just dont get the reasoning on getting rid of the best and arguably the most important player on this team. For **** sakes, the guy hasnt even reached his prime yet. He's only in his mid-20's!!!
stupid, stupid, stupid idea. Just a damned ******ed idea.

X-Era
12-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Name 1 team in the last 15 years that has traded away a top 5 LT. No team is dumb enough to trade away a player that solves one of the biggest areas of concern on a football team, a Qbs blind side.

And on top of that we play in a division where we face Pace, Adalius Thomas and Porter 6 times a year. Plus next season we will also face the NFC south which means John Abraham, Gaines Adams and the Bucs D, Will Smith, and Julius Peppers. Thats 10 games where we face the top pass rushers in the NFL. Yeah, lets trade Peters and throw Chambers in there long term, we can also write off the playoffs for 2009 while were at it.

I dont disagree, what I wont agree to is trading Peters for essentially nothing and then not signing a pro-bowl level talent at another position.

We are supposed to be getting better not worse.

But if we trade Peters for several picks AND bring in a top talent like Peppers or Suggs, yeah I would do that.

But just trade Peters to the highest bidder? NO, Not in this lifetime IMO.

TacklingDummy
12-22-2008, 11:06 PM
I dont disagree, what I wont agree to is trading Peters for essentially nothing and then not signing a pro-bowl level talent at another position.

We are supposed to be getting better not worse.

But if we trade Peters for several picks AND bring in a top talent like Peppers or Suggs, yeah I would do that.

But just trade Peters to the highest bidder? NO, Not in this lifetime IMO.

Peters to the Bengals for Chad Johnson and their 2nd round pick.

billogic99
12-22-2008, 11:15 PM
I'm baffeled at how Peters made the pro bowl this year. I don't think anyone would be dumb enough to give up a 1st and 3rd for Peters.

PECKERWOOD
12-22-2008, 11:37 PM
No way you trade Peters unless a team is willing to give up close to their entire draft for him.

Kenny
12-22-2008, 11:41 PM
well, since this thread is about complete stupidity... how about Mario Williams for Jason Peters?

Dr. Lecter
12-23-2008, 05:49 AM
Peters to the Bengals for Chad Johnson and their 2nd round pick.

Chad Johnson and a 2nd????

Are you serious?????

WTH????

Jeff1220
12-23-2008, 06:20 AM
What's with the "Trade Jason Peters" threads? I know people are put off about his hold out and comments after unjustifiably making a 2nd pro bowl, but come on. We all know that OL is too important to go bargain basement - we've seen that tried here for years. Pay the guy and his attitude will change. I believe this team is a good center away from having a dominant OL unit.

DraftBoy
12-23-2008, 07:18 AM
Jesus... another dumb thread.
Trade away Peters for a Top10 pick?

There is no guarantee that any of these guys in the draft will pan out. Look at Gholston from last year, then there's Derrick Harvey, -heck even the DTs that were drafted from NO and KC (the fact that I forgot their names should give a good indication on how 'good' they've played this year).
On the OL? has or is anyone as good as Peters? Other than Joe Thomas or maybe D'brick Ferguson, -there isnt anyone drafted on the OL over the past years I'd rather have than Peters. Heck, -what happens if we end up with a Robert Gallery?

I just dont get the reasoning on getting rid of the best and arguably the most important player on this team. For **** sakes, the guy hasnt even reached his prime yet. He's only in his mid-20's!!!
stupid, stupid, stupid idea. Just a damned ******ed idea.

KC-Glenn Dorsey
NO-Sedrick Ellis

Both actually haven't played that poorly.

Dorsey-39 tackles, 1 sack, 1 FF
Ellis-28 tackles, 4 sacks

:db:

mysticsoto
12-23-2008, 07:35 AM
What's with the "Trade Jason Peters" threads? I know people are put off about his hold out and comments after unjustifiably making a 2nd pro bowl, but come on. We all know that OL is too important to go bargain basement - we've seen that tried here for years. Pay the guy and his attitude will change. I believe this team is a good center away from having a dominant OL unit.

I think the reason for these is that people are still projecting their anger at Peters for his holdout at the beginning of the season and for it costing him being in football shape until late in the season. And so they take out their anger at him by wishing a trade. But people forget that despite all that he did, he is still a premier tackle. And even though Chambers did phenomenal for a backup Sunday, it is unknown if he could hold that level of caliber multiple games, not to mention a whole season. Also, he's approaching 30. So while I am glad that Chambers has grown and learned a great deal under our Oline coach, I prefer to have him as a solid backup. Langston Walker is also 29 and may wear down quicker b'cse of his large size. Having capable backups is a good thing. We should be happy with our Tackles and seek to solidify the Center position now!

Hire Marv as a consultant and let him find us our Kent Hull!!!

ddaryl
12-23-2008, 07:39 AM
I'm baffeled at how Peters made the pro bowl this year. I don't think anyone would be dumb enough to give up a 1st and 3rd for Peters.

they were dumb enough to vote him into the probowl this year

FACT IS... excellent pro-bowl LT command big paydays and big time compensation... The Bills could easily get a 1st and 3rd

Kenny
12-23-2008, 08:08 AM
KC-Glenn Dorsey
NO-Sedrick Ellis

Both actually haven't played that poorly.

Dorsey-39 tackles, 1 sack, 1 FF
Ellis-28 tackles, 4 sacks

while I'll admit I havent paid much attention to ellis, -but I have watched Dorsey quite a bit... The guy just hasnt looked good.
He looks lazy and seems to get dominated on every pass play. I know we shouldnt judge a guy this early, -but he was a top5 pick. And while all of KC's defense stinks, -you'd think the best looking DT prospect to come out of college in years would/show a bit more.
My point is, -I'd be incredibly pissed off if we traded Peters for Dorsey. There's absolutely no one in last years draft I'd trade for Peters, except for maybe Ryan.

TacklingDummy
12-23-2008, 09:08 AM
Chad Johnson and a 2nd????

Are you serious?????

WTH????

Yep serious. What do you honestly think the Bills could get for him in a trade?

We would be set at WR and the Bengals 2nd round pick would give us another starter at LB.

Johnson, Chambers, Starting LB>>>>>>>>>Peters.

Dr. Lecter
12-23-2008, 09:09 AM
Yep serious.

We would be set at WR and the Bengals 2nd round pick would give us another starter at LB.

Why do you want Chad Johnson???

And if the Bills do that, LT becomes the # 1 priority for this team. Kirk Chambers is not the answer.

TacklingDummy
12-23-2008, 09:14 AM
Why do you want Chad Johnson???

And if the Bills do that, LT becomes the # 1 priority for this team. Kirk Chambers is not the answer.

Because Chad would improve our passing game. Chad would make Evans, Reed, Lynch, Jackson, and Trent that much better. Not to mention the 2nd round pick would fill a hole on defense or maybe even a TE.

Chambers and Walker have played fine in place of Peters this year. I don't know why people say they are not the answer.

Sometimes in life you have to give alittle to get alot more.

What do you think the Bills could get for Peters?

ddaryl
12-23-2008, 09:15 AM
Yep serious. What do you honestly think the Bills could get for him in a trade?

probowl LT's are worth a pair of 1st rd picks... a 2 time probowl LT in th eprime of his career is easily worth that.

I'd take the Bengals 1st rd pick and Chad minimum, and get the best DE in the draft and a 1st rd LB to boot.

Walker did fill in and we looked fine early last year. Chambers needs more polish but held his own a few times this year... but giving up a probowl LT is a huge gamble

TacklingDummy
12-23-2008, 09:20 AM
probowl LT's are worth a pair of 1st rd picks... a 2 time probowl LT in th eprime of his career is easily worth that. I doubt any team would give up 2 first round picks for Peters. Would you if you ran the Bills? The only person I am giving up 2 first round picks for has the name Manning on the back of his jersey.

I'd take the Bengals 1st rd pick and Chad minimum, and get the best DE in the draft and a 1st rd LB to boot. This would be even better than Chad and a 2nd rounder.

Walker did fill in and we looked fine early last year. Chambers needs more polish but held his own a few times this year... but giving up a probowl LT is a huge gamble
It's been 10 years. Im willing to gamble. :up:

BillyT92679
12-23-2008, 09:29 AM
You trade Peters you set the franchise back 3 years easily. It would be the dumbest move the Bills have made in the last 24 years of me being a Bills fan.

How could the Bills be set back any farther? They're 60-77 this decade.

ddaryl
12-23-2008, 09:30 AM
TD

you're under estimating the compensation a LT demands... I don't think we would actually get 2 1st rd picks, but there will be a 1st round pick involved, and Chad would only command a 2nd rd pick IMO

SO Cincy's 1st and Chad,

That would also make Parrish tradeable and anyone looking for a solid ST and fill in WR might be willing to pony up a 3rd for Parrish.

but if we can't get a 1st and a solid player for Peters we would be getting burned IMO... Liek I said 2 time probowl LT's in their prime are worth a lot

TacklingDummy
12-23-2008, 09:34 AM
you're under estimating the compensation a LT demands... I don't think we would actually get 2 1st rd picks, but there will be a 1st round pick involved, and Chad would only command a 2nd rd pick IMO

SO Cincy's 1st and Chad,
Sounds good to me. :up:

That would also make Parrish tradeable and anyone looking for a solid ST and fill in WR might be willing to pony up a 3rd for Parrish.
Also sounds good to me. :up: We should be the Bills new 2 headed GM. :up:

justasportsfan
12-23-2008, 09:36 AM
Because Chad would improve our passing game.
He can't when the qb is getting sacked because we traded our proven LT.
Besides, Chad isn't going to do anything in our Dink and Dunk schemes.

TacklingDummy
12-23-2008, 09:42 AM
He can't when the qb is getting sacked because we traded our proven LT. . Really? How many times has Trent been sacked with Peters on the bench?

Besides, Chad isn't going to do anything in our Dink and Dunk schemes.

Might as well trade Evans because he is doing nothing in our Dink and Dunk scheme.

justasportsfan
12-23-2008, 09:50 AM
Really? How many times has Trent been sacked with Peters on the bench?. Don't we have the weakest schedule in th4e NFL this year? Anyone know how Chambers has done vs. playoff teams? I doubt anyone here knows .

Chambers hasn't played enough for me to think he can handle playing week in and week out. He hasn't done anything to show that he can handle playoff calibre teams every week if we ever make playoffs.

How easily you guys forget about Pat Williams. Just because Ron Edwards at that time had 3 sacks in Pat WIllaims last season here, Donadope wanted to go cheap and he thought Edwards could handle it every week. Not.

Might as well trade Evans because he is doing nothing in our Dink and Dunk scheme. he's already signed. Why bring in another wr who won't do anything in this scheme?

billogic99
12-23-2008, 09:52 AM
they were dumb enough to vote him into the probowl this year

FACT IS... excellent pro-bowl LT command big paydays and big time compensation... The Bills could easily get a 1st and 3rd

Brett Favre made the probowl with his 3200 yards passing and 21 TD's and 20 INT's I think that pretty much tells you all you need to know about the pro bowl. As for Peters, he's yet to have a full season where he dominates from start to finish...for whatever reason.

To me If I'm gonna give up a first and third he better bring to the table what players like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady bring to the table and that's a player who makes your whole team better without a doubt. So far Peters hasn't proven he can be that type of player. I don't think anyone can argue Peters is talented, but 1st and 3rd talented? That's a huge question mark. And don't forget if a team wants Peters, they better be prepared to pay out the nose, it won't just be a 1st and 3rd it will also be a HUGE contract, that's an awful lot to give up for a player who aint exactly Orlando Pace.

ddaryl
12-23-2008, 10:07 AM
Brett Favre made the probowl with his 3200 yards passing and 21 TD's and 20 INT's I think that pretty much tells you all you need to know about the pro bowl. As for Peters, he's yet to have a full season where he dominates from start to finish...for whatever reason.

To me If I'm gonna give up a first and third he better bring to the table what players like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady bring to the table and that's a player who makes your whole team better without a doubt. So far Peters hasn't proven he can be that type of player. I don't think anyone can argue Peters is talented, but 1st and 3rd talented? That's a huge question mark. And don't forget if a team wants Peters, they better be prepared to pay out the nose, it won't just be a 1st and 3rd it will also be a HUGE contract, that's an awful lot to give up for a player who aint exactly Orlando Pace.

He was well on his way to being Orlando Pace worthy in 2007... took a step back in 2008, but I do believe there are quite a few teams drooling over the chance to land Peters to anchor their LT position.

Maybe I'm over shooting it some... but Peters will at the very least be worthy of a top 1/2 of the 1st rd pick.

Many teams don't want those high picks that costs almost as much as Peters will consume and pay them to develope when they may or may not develope. With peters you get a seaosned proven 2 time probowler

this is all hearsay, but he's worth more then I you think IMO

ddaryl
12-23-2008, 10:09 AM
Don't we have the weakest schedule in th4e NFL this year? Anyone know how Chambers has done vs. playoff teams? I doubt anyone here knows .

Chambers hasn't played enough for me to think he can handle playing week in and week out. He hasn't done anything to show that he can handle playoff calibre teams every week if we ever make playoffs.

I agree which is why I want to see Chambers play agianst the Pats who are playing a must win game this weekend

he's already signed. Why bring in another wr who won't do anything in this scheme?

I think Chad and Evans would help us get out of the funk scheme we are running and really open things up... Not saying its going to happen or we would even pursue it but Chad and Evans would give opposing teams nightmares, and Evans, Reed, Johnson and Hardy would be even more effective, not to mention RB's because opposoing D's would play back on their heals some, and TE's which will also beenfit from the added weapon

justasportsfan
12-23-2008, 10:15 AM
I think Chad and Evans would help us get out of the funk scheme we are running and really open things up... Not saying its going to happen or we would even pursue it but Chad and Evans would give opposing teams nightmares, and Evans, Reed, Johnson and Hardy would be even more effective, not to mention RB's because opposoing D's would play back on their heals some, and TE's which will also beenfit from the added weapon

Our qb does not like our OC. They don't see eye to eye supposedly. If the Qb is pointing fingers at the OC imagine what Ocho 5 will do .

ddaryl
12-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Our qb does not like our OC. They don't see eye to eye supposedly. If the Qb is pointing fingers at the OC imagine what Ocho 5 will do .

yeah.. I'm not the one asking for the trade, and I agree with you.. Chad is too mouthy for my tastes. Plus we do have other needs that can make this team much better just the same Like DE, C, and LB

TacklingDummy
12-23-2008, 11:32 AM

:clap: Someone see's it besides myself.

Don't forget with the 1st or 2nd round pick that the Bills would also recieve they can draft another starter at DE, TE, or LB.

Some people rather just complain about the problem instead of offering solutions. :up:

If the Bengals were game, the Bills would be crazy not to take the offer. Cincy would give Chad a new start, the Bills would be getting rid of their headache and be getting a playmaker that we so desperatly need.

JPFBillsFan
12-23-2008, 11:34 AM
Pass on 85

ddaryl
12-23-2008, 11:37 AM
If the Bengals were game, the Bills would be crazy not to take the offer. Cincy would give Chad a new start, the Bills would be getting rid of their headache and be getting a playmaker that we so desperatly need.

BUT !!!!

Chad is the same verbal headache with a larger mouth...

Mr. Pink
12-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Dummy's idea of trading Peters for Chad and a number isn't a bad idea really....

With that 2, we could take Alex Mack...maybe...he might be gone a little higher up than that pick. If not Mack then Max Unger will certainly be available.

So basically what we've done is trade a probowl LT for a guy who will definitely take doubles away from Lee also allow for guys like Johnson and Reed to thrive and have mismatches constantly.

Then we've drafted a franchise Center that we can move forward with for the next 5-7 years, we haven't had a decent Center let alone good since Hull. Which should open up the running game a ton.

Sure, we'll have to address the LT spot. Could we put Langston over there? Technically. But then we have to address the RT spot because Kirk Chambers is a BUM. But there are two guys we could sign via FA that might not be all that expensive to do this in Tauscher and Colombo.

PECKERWOOD
12-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Dummy's idea of trading Peters for Chad and a number isn't a bad idea really....

With that 2, we could take Alex Mack...maybe...he might be gone a little higher up than that pick. If not Mack then Max Unger will certainly be available.

So basically what we've done is trade a probowl LT for a guy who will definitely take doubles away from Lee also allow for guys like Johnson and Reed to thrive and have mismatches constantly.

Then we've drafted a franchise Center that we can move forward with for the next 5-7 years, we haven't had a decent Center let alone good since Hull. Which should open up the running game a ton.

Sure, we'll have to address the LT spot. Could we put Langston over there? Technically. But then we have to address the RT spot because Kirk Chambers is a BUM. But there are two guys we could sign via FA that might not be all that expensive to do this in Tauscher and Colombo.

You don't think Chad Johnson would want a new contract? BTW, no way Langston would last a full season at LT.

ddaryl
12-23-2008, 11:51 AM

only if Peters is a nightmare to deal with though.. we should make the effort to resolve his contract before the end of Feburary for obvious reasons, but I still insist on lots of incentives that he must hit to get him to elite pay levels...

I will be watching Chambers against NE, and so will everyone else. If he holds his own and does real well then at least we have someone coming along, but Walker at LT would be my 1st thought, but that would not be my preferred way of addresing LT without Peters...

Mr. Pink
12-23-2008, 11:53 AM
You don't think Chad Johnson would want a new contract? BTW, no way Langston would last a full season at LT.

The main problem would be gauging what Ocho Cinco wanted contract wise. IMO he's a better WR than Lee and I'm pretty sure in his own opinion he is too.

Now if he goes out saying he wants top 3 WR money, there's no way in hell this would ever work. We'd have way too much money tied up in the WR position.

Which then takes money away from other areas of need.

As far as Walker, I think we could do better than him at LT definitely but we also could do a hell of a lot worse too.

Remember in order to get talent via trade you have to trade talent.

justasportsfan
12-23-2008, 11:54 AM

Problem is, Turk will have them running 5-10 yards out and make our wrs other than Reed useless. I see no point in bringing in Chad if we don't have an OC thats knows how to use our players' strength and come up with a gameplan without having to copy other teams the week after.

If D's change their gameplan to prepare for Chad and Lee and Turk didn't practice for it, we're screwed anyways.

Mr. Pink
12-23-2008, 11:59 AM
only if Peters is a nightmare to deal with though.. we should make the effort to resolve his contract before the end of Feburary for obvious reasons, but I still insist on lots of incentives that he must hit to get him to elite pay levels...

I will be watching Chambers against NE, and so will everyone else. If he holds his own and does real well then at least we have someone coming along, but Walker at LT would be my 1st thought, but that would not be my preferred way of addresing LT without Peters...

Definitely still have to talk to him, ACTIVELY, to try and gauge what he thinks he's worth first. If his contract demands are ridiculous then you might have to move on.

If he is moved, I don't care what Chambers does against anyone, he simply isn't good enough to be a starter in this league. Never has, never will be. Much like Melvin Fowler. I've unfortunately had the privilege of watching Chambers entire career much like Fowler as they were both Browns rejects.

If we do move Peters, the first round choice could be Michael Oher to replace him.

If you want something different in Round 1, say Jermaine Gresham for example, you go out and get Marc Colombo or Mark Tauscher in FA.

A season or two of Walker Colombo/Tauscher wouldn't be bad. And if you do draft Oher, he could develop into a franchise LT in his own right.

PECKERWOOD
12-23-2008, 12:00 PM
The main problem would be gauging what Ocho Cinco wanted contract wise. IMO he's a better WR than Lee and I'm pretty sure in his own opinion he is too.

Now if he goes out saying he wants top 3 WR money, there's no way in hell this would ever work. We'd have way too much money tied up in the WR position.

Which then takes money away from other areas of need.

As far as Walker, I think we could do better than him at LT definitely but we also could do a hell of a lot worse too.

Remember in order to get talent via trade you have to trade talent.

While it's true that you have to trade talent to get talent, I would rather have Peters over Ocho Cinco any day of the week. Also, when it comes to the Bengals, I believe that Houshmanzadeh is a FA at the end of the year. I understand that he is 32, but why not sign him to a nice 3 year deal instead of trading our best player away for a team cancer? IMO, LT is a much more important position than WR. If you can't protect the QB, it doesn't matter who you have at WR. Just look at the Bengals for example.

Mr. Pink
12-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Problem is, Turk will have them running 5-10 yards out and make our wrs other than Reed useless. I see no point in bringing in Chad if we don't have an OC thats knows how to use our players' strength and come up with a gameplan without having to copy other teams the week after.

If D's change their gameplan to prepare for Chad and Lee and Turk didn't practice for it, we're screwed anyways.

Not necessarily.

Even if you running a "dink and dunk" type offense someone is going to be open every play. Coverage is going to be rolled to one side or the other to take away Ocho or Evans.

You'll give fits to DC's trying to figure out how to play coverages.

Mr. Pink
12-23-2008, 12:08 PM
While it's true that you have to trade talent to get talent, I would rather have Peters over Ocho Cinco any day of the week. Also, when it comes to the Bengals, I believe that Houshmanzadeh is a FA at the end of the year. I understand that he is 32, but why not sign him to a nice 3 year deal instead of trading our best player away for a team cancer? IMO, LT is a much more important position than WR. If you can't protect the QB, it doesn't matter who you have at WR. Just look at the Bengals for example.

The games where Trent has played with an out of shape, not game ready Peters he looked fine. He played fine last week as well without Peters. Sure he got killed earlier in the year, but it was off a safety blitz. That can happen even if you have the best OL in the history of the NFL anyways.

I'm not suggesting if you do trade Peters to do absolutely nothing and just let Chambers play. I'm sure I've gotten that across in my other posts so I won't rehash.

I'm just going off Dummy's idea. There are other teams/players this could work with. Cincy is tempting because Ocho Cinco is a top talent and they have high picks.

Substitute the Bengals with the Cards. Boldin and a 2nd for Peters. Is that better? Now with the Cards 2nd Unger and Mack are both gone, but we could take Unger with our own 2nd and get a player like Herman Johnson G, Jared Cook TE, Kam Chancellor S with the Cards second.

TacklingDummy
12-23-2008, 12:11 PM

The problem is, Chambers could give up a sack and he's a "turnstile", Peters gives up a sack and he's a pro-bowler.

TacklingDummy
12-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Substitute the Bengals with the Cards. Boldin and a 2nd for Peters. Is that better? Now with the Cards 2nd Unger and Mack are both gone, but we could take Unger with our own 2nd and get a player like Herman Johnson G, Jared Cook TE, Kam Chancellor S with the Cards second.

Boldin will want/command more money than Chad. That's one of the reason's I used Chad. Plus the Bengals second round pick will be 35th or 36th pick.

The Bills would have the 10th pick, 35th/36th pick, 42nd pick in next years draft, plus the WR position would be set. That to me would be awesome.

Mr. Pink
12-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Boldin will want/command more money than Chad. That's one of the reason's I used Chad. Plus the Bengals second round pick will be 35th or 36th pick.

The Bills would have the 10th pick, 35th/36th pick, 42nd pick in next years draft, plus the WR position would be set. That to me would be awesome.

That's basically what it comes down to, the money involved.

The picks aren't that big of a deal as we can get a quality pick with the 35th pick or the 50th - around where the Cards 2 will be.

Either way, Boldin or Ocho, we have the WR position set for at least 5 years.

PECKERWOOD
12-23-2008, 12:24 PM
Only way I trade Peters for Ocho Cinco is for their 1st round pick and a 2nd day pick as well.

justasportsfan
12-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Not necessarily.

Even if you running a "dink and dunk" type offense someone is going to be open every play. Coverage is going to be rolled to one side or the other to take away Ocho or Evans.

You'll give fits to DC's trying to figure out how to play coverages.
you would hope so. But whats proven is that teams already figured out Turk. He's too predictable. Rush 3 or 4 and for guys and drop the rest into coverage and we're screwed. Even I could gameplan against Turks philosophy.

You are not going to do anything with an all pro team without proper coaching. The deadskins and most recently the cowbpokes have proven that.

PECKERWOOD
12-23-2008, 12:37 PM
If you could get me Ocho Cinco + their 1st and 3rd round pick, I'd do it otherwise I'm holding onto arguably the best LT in the NFL. If they did pull the trigger on a deal like that, my draft would look like:

1a.) Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia ( I like him more than any other T this year, he is the reason why Brandon Albert played G at Virginia. )
1b.) Greg Hardy, DE, Ole Miss ( Best DE left on the board, good player and he is worth taking here. )
2.) Max Ünger, C, Oregon ( He can play center and tackle, but we draft him to play his natural position at C, seeing as how we have LT and RT filled. )
3a.) Chase Coffman, TE, Mizzou ( Finally we have a real TE in Buffalo. )
3b.) Marcus Freeman, OLB, OSU ( He takes over for Keith Ellison and we re-sign Ellison to be his backup and compete for the starting job. )

I don't care to do rounds 4-7 because it's impossible for me to predict that far.. There will most likely be a ton of small school prospects and players that I've never heard of goin off the boards at that point. I wouldn't mind adding another DE, WR and S with those picks though.

X-Era
12-23-2008, 09:10 PM

I like the idea of trading him for a kings ransom NOTHING LESS. But Im no longer a Chad Johnson fan, we have no reason to believe he wont do the same crap on this squad...

I would much prefer Hushmazilly and we dont need to trade for him. No, hes not as good, but he has made a real name for himself with his play and would absolutely command coverage.

X-Era
12-23-2008, 09:20 PM
The games where Trent has played with an out of shape, not game ready Peters he looked fine. He played fine last week as well without Peters. Sure he got killed earlier in the year, but it was off a safety blitz. That can happen even if you have the best OL in the history of the NFL anyways.

I'm not suggesting if you do trade Peters to do absolutely nothing and just let Chambers play. I'm sure I've gotten that across in my other posts so I won't rehash.

I'm just going off Dummy's idea. There are other teams/players this could work with. Cincy is tempting because Ocho Cinco is a top talent and they have high picks.

Id prefer Boldin and a 2nd to Chad and a 2nd honestly, Boldin is more rugged and doesnt have the head case problems, plus hes already a #2. The issue is that the Cards have a much lower 2nd. Id almost rather move a pick as well on that deal for Boldin and their 1st.

mysticsoto
12-24-2008, 07:52 AM
No one is going to trade a King's Ransom for Peters. There are alot of good OTs coming out in this draft. A good maybe 5 or 6. Anyone in desperate need of an OT will just grab one in the 1st rd.

X-Era
12-24-2008, 10:22 AM
No one is going to trade a King's Ransom for Peters. There are alot of good OTs coming out in this draft. A good maybe 5 or 6. Anyone in desperate need of an OT will just grab one in the 1st rd.

To me its an if-then statement:

IF no team will trade a kings ransom for Peters, THEN we keep Peters and pay him what he is worth.

I will never be happy with trading him just because we dont want to pay him.