PDA

View Full Version : Fred Jackson

patmoran2006
12-22-2008, 09:41 AM
I think his price tag for 2009 went up Sunday. Isnt he a UFA after this year?

RockStar36
12-22-2008, 09:41 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dr. Lecter
12-22-2008, 09:42 AM
RFA, not UFA

DraftBoy
12-22-2008, 09:45 AM
They need to offer him a multi-year deal and not just tender him. There is no need to fool around here and not give Jackson what he clearly deserves. Some other team may come in who doesnt need draft picks and swoop him up.

mysticsoto
12-22-2008, 09:50 AM
LOL. I remember getting ridiculed here last year for going to TC and reporting that Jackson looked pretty good and that we should not count him out...

Akhippo
12-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Our luck is that the pats will pick him up if we screw this up and he replaces Faulk but better. He and Lynch are a perfect combination. From the outside I dont see jealousy, just competition.

Its nice to have faith that if your 1st back goes down that the back up is just as good. Just look at the Giants. They have three that can sustain a running game.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-22-2008, 12:06 PM
if we dont get him locked up quick, we will get "poison pilled" by some one and will not be able to sign him

more cowbell
12-22-2008, 12:07 PM
hes an exclusive rights free agent. hes not going anywhere

McBFLO
12-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Whats the difference between RFA and Exclusive rights FA?

DraftBoy
12-22-2008, 02:09 PM
hes an exclusive rights free agent. hes not going anywhere

No he's an RFA, where are you reading he's an ERFA?

DraftBoy
12-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Whats the difference between RFA and Exclusive rights FA?

I dont think other teams are allowed to bid on ERFA's as long as they are tendered. If you tender an RFA, other teams can still bid on them. I could be wrong though.

ddaryl
12-22-2008, 02:11 PM
I'm not to worried. I think Freddie likes it here, him and Lynch are bros. He'll get a fair deal...

Nobody is going to offer him starters salary IMO... but he does deserve a hefty raise.

ddaryl
12-22-2008, 02:13 PM
I dont think other teams are allowed to bid on ERFA's as long as they are tendered. If you tender an RFA, other teams can still bid on them. I could be wrong though.

with an RFA the home team has the right to match any ofer.... or recieve a pre determined compensation from the team that signs away the RFA

DraftBoy
12-22-2008, 02:15 PM
with an RFA the home team has the right to match any ofer.... or recieve a pre determined compensation from the team that signs away the RFA

Yea I knew that, but thanks for the more detailed answer about RFA's. :up:

JJamezz
12-22-2008, 02:23 PM

As far as I understand it, a player needs to be on the 53 man roster for 3 years to qualify as an RFA, and Fred has only been on the active roster for 2 years - 2006 he was on the practice squad which would not count, making him an exclusive rights free agent (0-2 years on roster).

DraftBoy
12-22-2008, 02:41 PM
As far as I understand it, a player needs to be on the 53 man roster for 3 years to qualify as an RFA, and Fred has only been on the active roster for 2 years - 2006 he was on the practice squad which would not count, making him an exclusive rights free agent (0-2 years on roster).

If that's accurate that's great news! Most sites are listing him as an RFA though, which is where my confusion is.

yordad
12-22-2008, 02:42 PM
I suppose I should have made my title a little more obvious. Your opening post is almost the exact same as mine. LINK (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=167520)

JJamezz
12-22-2008, 02:48 PM
My explanation may not be 100% accurate (not sure if its just a matter of being on an active roster at all or if there's a certain number of games per season on the roster that's required... etc.), but he is definitely an ERFA and cannot be signed by another team - he either accepts ANY offer the Bills tender him, or has to sit out the season - which I assume would keep him an ERFA indefinitely since he'd never get that 3rd year on a roster.

methos4ever
12-22-2008, 03:09 PM
My explanation may not be 100% accurate (not sure if its just a matter of being on an active roster at all or if there's a certain number of games per season on the roster that's required... etc.), but he is definitely an ERFA and cannot be signed by another team - he either accepts ANY offer the Bills tender him, or has to sit out the season - which I assume would keep him an ERFA indefinitely since he'd never get that 3rd year on a roster.

This is also reinforced with Jason Peters - he signed his extension when he was an ERFA after having signed his tender.

The King
12-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Those with season ticks? Are you starting to see Action Jackson jerseys popping up at the Ralph?

bigbub2352
12-22-2008, 03:20 PM
They need to offer him a 4 yr deal worth about 3-4 mil a season, cut some of the dead weight to make room, he is to versatile and an excellent compliment to Lynch
This is one guy we cant lose
RFA offer him top qualifying offer
if it means not signing Greer thats why we took Leodis and Corner draft another late rd Corner for depth and re-sign Youboty

JJamezz
12-22-2008, 03:25 PM
You guys are missing the point here - he cannot play for another team, unless he's cut or traded..

Mr. Pink
12-22-2008, 03:28 PM
So, if the Bills were to only sign him to a 1 year deal this year...he is then an RFA next year?

I thought I heard that Jackson was an ERFA, which is part of the reason why I said in another thread the only way he's gone is if he's traded.

Same goes for next year...even if he's just tendered..I'd be shocked if a team is gonna part with a 1st or 1st and 3rd depending on his tender level, to get him.

JJamezz
12-22-2008, 03:32 PM
So, if the Bills were to only sign him to a 1 year deal this year...he is then an RFA next year?

Yes

Mski
12-22-2008, 03:33 PM
off topic a little, but do you think his play yesterday deserves OFF player of the week consideration? i didnt get to watch any of the other games, so i dont know how everyone else did in comparison

methos4ever
12-22-2008, 03:47 PM
There is an established (at end of the year I believe) number for the ERFA. They tender him at that and he can either sign that, or play in another league. This just happened last off-season with the Bucs' DE and their RB, who were ERFAs and I think the RB tried to hold out...

Mr. Pink
12-22-2008, 03:47 PM
off topic a little, but do you think his play yesterday deserves OFF player of the week consideration? i didnt get to watch any of the other games, so i dont know how everyone else did in comparison

No chance...3 backs on the Sunday Night game outshined everyone else.

DeAngelo Williams ran for over 120 and 4 TDs.
Brandon Jacobs 4 TDs
Derrick Ward like 215 yards on the ground on 15 carries.

DraftBoy
12-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Assuming JJ is right (and I have no reason to not believe him) then this is great news! Ive been operating under the assumption that Jackson was an RFA not an ERFA.

The Jokeman
12-22-2008, 06:06 PM
From Wikipedia: Exclusive-Rights Free Agents (ERFAs) are players who have completed between 0-2 accrued seasons of service whose contracts have expired. If tendered, they have no negotiating rights with other clubs and must sign their tender with their old club or sit out the season.

Last I checked Jackson is currently in his second year with the team unless he accrued a season when he was on our practice squad? Yet in all honesty I can't remember him being on the PS at all.

SpillerThrills
12-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Jackson has to be signed.... this duo we have now is the closest we've ever had to Thomas/Davis..... they complement eachother perfectly and both could start a game and carry the load if the other is out. IMO Jackson must be one of the first signings of the offseason.

jamze132
12-23-2008, 01:05 AM
Ok so if Jackson is ours, we can force his hand to sign a cheapass contract. I trully hope this organization does NOT do that to **** the kid over. The kid goes out there every week and busts his ass. I'm not saying we have to offer him a 4 yr/12 M contract or anything but give the guy a hefty raise right now. And next year when he is an RFA, either offer him a multi-year deal or tender him at the 1st/3rd level. He worth it.

And mark my words, if for some reason we **** up and get rid of him, he will be in NE killing us two times a year.