PDA

View Full Version : I really like our secondary but we might have to live with McKelvin.

HHURRICANE
12-22-2008, 11:12 AM
McKlevin is not the sharpest knife in the drawer and I think his entire career is going to be "love him and hate him". This is a guy who is going to try and get the big play but maybe at the expense of getting burned. I think the team needs some play makers on D and I think he's going to be one of them. I like the pick even though I'll be cursing his name for years to come.

Who was Reggie Corner filling in for because I think he just landed the spot for next year.

Whitner is never, ever, going to be great. He's a Josh Reed pick. The guy with a real pass rush and some LBs in front of him will be a solid player for years to come.

Bryan Scott is a hitter. We have been missing a guy like this for a while. I hope he stays on next year.

I will not miss Greer. I can't name a player in recent history that has garnered more praise for being completely overrated. The team that signs him is going to get a bust.

RockStar36
12-22-2008, 11:16 AM
I like McKelvin, almost specifically for his risk taking. I'd rather see someone get burnt a few times but also make big plays instead of someone just playing it safe and keeping the completion under 10 yards.

HHURRICANE
12-22-2008, 11:20 AM
I like McKelvin, almost specifically for his risk taking. I'd rather see someone get burnt a few times but also make big plays instead of someone just playing it safe and keeping the completion under 10 yards.

Yeah, hard to see that in writing but I agree. Plus his attitude, although, annoying, is breath of fresh air. We have some pussies on this roster.

Mr. Miyagi
12-22-2008, 11:29 AM
May I assume you were a big fan of Nate Clements?

jdbillsfan
12-22-2008, 11:34 AM
McKlevin is not the sharpest knife in the drawer and I think his entire career is going to be "love him and hate him". This is a guy who is going to try and get the big play but maybe at the expense of getting burned. I think the team needs some play makers on D and I think he's going to be one of them. I like the pick even though I'll be cursing his name for years to come.

Who was Reggie Corner filling in for because I think he just landed the spot for next year.

Whitner is never, ever, going to be great. He's a Josh Reed pick. The guy with a real pass rush and some LBs in front of him will be a solid player for years to come.

Bryan Scott is a hitter. We have been missing a guy like this for a while. I hope he stays on next year.

I will not miss Greer. I can't name a player in recent history that has garnered more praise for being completely overrated. The team that signs him is going to get a bust.

I am not sure how you can say Greer is going to be a bust, but Whitner will be a solid player.

Greer has already shown more than Whitner in his limited playing time. Two INT's for TDs, good coverage on the outside.

Whitner missed the tackle on the long Eddie Royal run and should have had the INT on the errant Cutler throw. Other than that, was no where to be found. Vs the Jets, they targeted him all game long. That wasn't all pass rush.

madness

If he's smart about it, those big plays will be worth it. If not, he'll just be another Nate Clements.

HHURRICANE
May I assume you were a big fan of Nate Clements?

You might want to look up how many picks Clements had. Not that many.

HHURRICANE
12-22-2008, 11:48 AM
I am not sure how you can say Greer is going to be a bust, but Whitner will be a solid player.

Greer has already shown more than Whitner in his limited playing time. Two INT's for TDs, good coverage on the outside.

Whitner missed the tackle on the long Eddie Royal run and should have had the INT on the errant Cutler throw. Other than that, was no where to be found. Vs the Jets, they targeted him all game long. That wasn't all pass rush.

The two picks Greer got this year anyone on this board could have made. I watched Greer get toasted as much or more than Whitner.

Whitner gets alot of crap because the team is constantly putting him in bad spots. How many different positions has he filled in for?

The SS postions is the most thankless job on the team.

Mr. Miyagi
12-22-2008, 11:54 AM
You might want to look up how many picks Clements had. Not that many.
Nonetheless, he's a gambler as RS described.

HHURRICANE
12-22-2008, 12:01 PM
Nonetheless, he's a gambler as RS described.

Let's hope McKlevin has a few more balls in his hands.

patmoran2006
12-22-2008, 12:05 PM
The two picks Greer got this year anyone on this board could have made. I watched Greer get toasted as much or more than Whitner.

Whitner gets alot of crap because the team is constantly putting him in bad spots. How many different positions has he filled in for?

The SS postions is the most thankless job on the team.
Could anyone have returned them both for TD's as well?

billsfanone
12-22-2008, 12:11 PM
I was critical of McKelvin early and I'll eat my crow. He's shown a lot for a rookie. He can only get better. Another upside to a CB who gambles is QBs have to be more honest knowing there is a threat out there.

yordad
12-22-2008, 12:28 PM
With Youboty down and Greer out, Corner was our nickle CB. He looked good too.

I like McKelvins attitude. He even got in Cutler's face when Cutler got in the refs ear.

HHURRICANE
12-22-2008, 03:14 PM
With Youboty down and Greer out, Corner was our nickle CB. He looked good too.

I like McKelvins attitude. He even got in Cutler's face when Cutler got in the refs ear.

If Corner is in for Greer that we don't need Greer. I've seen enough of Corner to make me believe he can play.

HHURRICANE
12-22-2008, 03:14 PM
Could anyone have returned them both for TD's as well?

I was at the Jets game and I think my mother could have run it in.

JJamezz
12-22-2008, 03:21 PM
I'm definitely impressed with how much his hands have improved - he had what, 3-4 picks in his college career? Minus Stroud's hold yesterday he'd have 3 in about half a season. Some of the college clips I watched around draft time, the kid looked like he was wearing boxing gloves - couldn't catch a cold..

Mski
12-22-2008, 03:27 PM
so does this mean we dont resign greer this offseason, with mckelvin and corner starting to play well? i think we can keep him rather cheap, and can be agood insurance, and depth in the secondary, we've seen how important depth is at the DB position 2 years running.. i would hate to lose him to FA and then get burnt by the injury bug again

Night Train
12-22-2008, 03:31 PM
I've seen 1 CB in 40 years play at a top level as a rookie. HOF'r Darryl Green of Washington in 1983.

McKelvin must learn like all the other mortals at CB, which happens to be the hardest position to excel at, outside of QB.

If Greer leaves, then Mckelvin & Reggie Corner play more. They weren't exactly glued to the bench lately. I happened to see both of them making positive plays yesterday as rookies.

HHURRICANE
12-22-2008, 03:35 PM
so does this mean we dont resign greer this offseason, with mckelvin and corner starting to play well? i think we can keep him rather cheap, and can be agood insurance, and depth in the secondary, we've seen how important depth is at the DB position 2 years running.. i would hate to lose him to FA and then get burnt by the injury bug again

It seems to me like we have a ton of players for our secondary and I think Greer will get overpaid out in the free market.

I think we have enough talent between Scott, McKelvin, Yobouty, Corner, McGee, Whitner.

Mski
12-22-2008, 03:38 PM
It seems to me like we have a ton of players for our secondary and I think Greer will get overpaid out in the free market.

I think we have enough talent between Scott, McKelvin, Yobouty, Corner, McGee, Whitner.

dont get me wrong i like yobouty alot, but he hasnt been able to stay healthy for an entire season, the broken leg doesnt make him injury prone, but a neck injury usually does

DMBcrew36
12-22-2008, 11:12 PM

Greersy is a bit of a risk taker, too. I want a guy who goes for the interception as often as possible.

RockStar36
12-23-2008, 08:03 AM
To answer the question about Clements, yes, I did like him in Buffalo.

Everyone remembers the Jacksonville game and they forget about several other games where he completely shut down the other teams #1 WR.

I'm sure I'll get blasted for that though. Short term memory is usually good around here. But for the record, I was completely against him getting that much money and was 100% happy that Buffalo let him go to SF.

RockStar36
12-23-2008, 08:03 AM
Greersy is a bit of a risk taker, too. I want a guy who goes for the interception as often as possible.

Which is why I'm not very high on McGee. It appears to me that McGee gets the majority of his interceptions when the ball is underthrown or he gets lucky. He rarely breaks on the ball and just picks it off.

Jan Reimers
12-23-2008, 08:14 AM
If McKelvin turns into a playmaker, I'll love him. We've had very few recently in our secondary, and that kind of player can turn games around.

ddaryl
12-23-2008, 08:18 AM
McKelvin has gotten better as the season has progressed... Hopefully he makes that significant jump in his 2nd year.

Jan Reimers
12-23-2008, 08:42 AM
Even if we lose Greer, I feel pretty good about McGee and McKelvin, plus Youboty and Corner.

RockStar36
12-23-2008, 08:58 AM
With McKelvin coming on, I don't see them shelling out a whole lot of money for Greer. I'm not sold on Youboty though. He won me over in the pre-season and the beginning of this season but his injury kinda told me that he can't make it a full season and isn't worth it anymore.

HughC
12-23-2008, 04:23 PM
Here's an opinion from Vic Carucci on nfl.com:

Bright spots in lost seasons

» Buffalo: Rookie cornerbacks Leodis McKelvin (http://www.nfl.com/players/leodismckelvin/profile?id=MCK224554) and Reggie Corner (http://www.nfl.com/players/reggiecorner/profile?id=COR535128). This could eventually prove to be a highly effective duo for many years to come. McKelvin made an immediate impact as a game-changing returner, but started slow in coverage. After taking over for injured Jabari Greer (http://www.nfl.com/players/jabarigreer/profile?id=GRE654582), McKelvin has steadily developed into a reliable player. Corner has shown tremendous instincts and play-making skills. He made a huge play in the Bills' Week 16 victory over Denver by breaking up a fourth-down pass to Brandon Stokley (http://www.nfl.com/players/brandonstokley/profile?id=STO309337) in the end zone to seal the outcome.

streetkings01
12-23-2008, 06:40 PM
McKlevin is not the sharpest knife in the drawer Why do you say that?

Tatonka
12-23-2008, 10:00 PM
lets not forget either that youboty will be back. he was the best corner on the roster for several weeks. his loss was huge to our defense.

jamze132
12-24-2008, 07:08 AM

All that from 1 season in the NFL?

I like Reggie!

Donte is a glorified Coy Wire.

Bryan Scott sucks and I could give two ****s if he's here next year. What the hell does that say for your defense when Bryan Scott is a starter? He makes the occasional big hit but all the missed tackles and horrible angles to the ball carrier turn me off.

I say if Greer is willing to stay,we keep him. You can never have enough CBs. Hopefully Youboty can actually play an entire season because I think as raw as he is, he's got some talent.

zone
12-24-2008, 07:18 AM
McKelvin is the risk taking corner that we have needed. 3 picks (even though 1 didn't count) 1 for a TD in the limited playing time he got in the second half of the season as a rookie.

With another year of experience he is going to be just as dangerous on D as he is on special teams!

TedMock
12-24-2008, 07:46 AM
McKlevin is not the sharpest knife in the drawer

Fair overall assessment, but I'm just curious as to why you feel this way about McKelvin. From what I've seen he appears to be a pretty crafty player although he has made some rookie mistakes. I don't know about off the field, but on I think he learns from film and is able to make plays based on certain reads he makes thanks to study. I do agree that he is also a risk taker and that may bite him at times, but overall the risk will get more and more calculated as he gains experience.

madness
12-24-2008, 08:09 AM
Fair overall assessment, but I'm just curious as to why you feel this way about McKelvin. From what I've seen he appears to be a pretty crafty player although he has made some rookie mistakes. I don't know about off the field, but on I think he learns from film and is able to make plays based on certain reads he makes thanks to study. I do agree that he is also a risk taker and that may bite him at times, but overall the risk will get more and more calculated as he gains experience.

People automatically ass-u-me that due to the way he talks.

TedMock
12-24-2008, 08:29 AM
People automatically ass-u-me that due to the way he talks.

I think that's a stupid reason, but I totally agree with you. I will admit, though, that his horrible miscue during the the 12 days of Christmas doesn't help his cause!