PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about Poz

OpIv37
12-22-2008, 11:46 AM
To be fair, I'll start by saying a few things in his defense:
1. Since he got injured so early last season, this is essentially his rookie year.
2. Because of this D, he's being forced to play in a position that is not natural for him.
3. He has improved in pass D and knowing his responsibilities over the course of the season.

That being said, he simply isn't the difference maker many of us had hoped for, and it's becoming clear why his stock plummeted on draft day. He takes bad angles in the run game (Cutler beat him to the corner on the touchdown run). And he can't shed blockers. I saw him get pancaked on running plays at least twice yesterday. He's just as bad on the blitz.

Several times over the last few weeks, the Bills have blitzed both Poz and Mitchell on the same play. Every time, Poz gets swallowed up and Mitchell gets through. Now, admittedly, this could be the scheme- it could be an overload blitz in which Poz's responsibility is to occupy the extra blocker so Mitchell can roam free. But if that is the case, it's interesting that they're using Poz to eat up the blocker and Mitchell to pursue the QB.

Hopefully the Bills can find an MLB this off season (or even start DiGiorgio) and move Poz to Ellison's spot, and hopefully another year of experience and conditioning will help Poz. But the early returns are very mediocre.

HHURRICANE
12-22-2008, 11:57 AM
Poz=Josh Reed=Whitner

Players that were drafted too high for what they bring.

He's our new white Angelo Crowell.

DraftBoy
12-22-2008, 11:59 AM
I think you move him outside you see his game improve.

billsburgh
12-22-2008, 12:00 PM
He has been rather disappointing so far after all the hype that surrounded him being drafted.

OpIv37
12-22-2008, 12:01 PM

I agree, and it seems that everyone agrees except the Bills' coaching staff. Obviously their hands are tied with the injuries to Crowell and DiGiorgio, but DiGi didn't get injured until Week 7. What the hell was going on before that?

patmoran2006
12-22-2008, 12:04 PM
I think you move him outside you see his game improve.elaborate, please.

Pinkerton Security
12-22-2008, 12:05 PM

But I dont see blitzing or speed as his skills. Hes just a solid LB who just isnt a big playmaker.

justasportsfan
12-22-2008, 12:05 PM
Dig was a better MLB than Poz.

THATHURMANATOR
12-22-2008, 12:08 PM
To be fair, I'll start by saying a few things in his defense:
1. Since he got injured so early last season, this is essentially his rookie year.
2. Because of this D, he's being forced to play in a position that is not natural for him.
3. He has improved in pass D and knowing his responsibilities over the course of the season.

That being said, he simply isn't the difference maker many of us had hoped for, and it's becoming clear why his stock plummeted on draft day. He takes bad angles in the run game (Cutler beat him to the corner on the touchdown run). And he can't shed blockers. I saw him get pancaked on running plays at least twice yesterday. He's just as bad on the blitz.

Several times over the last few weeks, the Bills have blitzed both Poz and Mitchell on the same play. Every time, Poz gets swallowed up and Mitchell gets through. Now, admittedly, this could be the scheme- it could be an overload blitz in which Poz's responsibility is to occupy the extra blocker so Mitchell can roam free. But if that is the case, it's interesting that they're using Poz to eat up the blocker and Mitchell to pursue the QB.

Hopefully the Bills can find an MLB this off season (or even start DiGiorgio) and move Poz to Ellison's spot, and hopefully another year of experience and conditioning will help Poz. But the early returns are very mediocre.
I would be all for Starting Digi at MLB and Poz outside. They should have done that at the beginning of the year.

mchurchfie
12-22-2008, 12:13 PM
We were all looking for Poz to be the second coming of Shane Conlan and it hasn't happened so far. I am pretty disappointed about him. I know he is still learning but you still would like to see some better football instincts coming from him and it just isn't happening. I thought he was stronger and faster than what he really appears to be too.

justasportsfan
12-22-2008, 12:14 PM
We were all looking for Poz to be the second coming of Shane Conlan and it hasn't happened so far. I am pretty disappointed about him. I know he is still learning but you still would like to see some better football instincts coming from him and it just isn't happening. I thought he was stronger and faster than what he really appears to be too.

I think Dicks calm ways took away Poz' meaness.

OpIv37
12-22-2008, 12:15 PM

the strength is what really disappointed me. We all saw that clip from his college days when he saved a TD by leaping up and destroying the RB above the pile at the goal line. But in the NFL, he's getting pushed all over the place.

OpIv37
12-22-2008, 12:16 PM
Dig was a better MLB than Poz.

Sadly, I now agree.

I guess I was wrong and Jauron wasn't just blowing smoke up our asses.

billsfanone
12-22-2008, 12:16 PM
He always seems to be a step or two behind.

mchurchfie
12-22-2008, 12:18 PM
If you watch the defense half of the time they are faking blitz and then backing out to get in their stupidass zone coverage. Hard to be aggressive when you are backpedaling all of the time. They have him in coverage an awful lot so that isn't helping.

billsfanone
12-22-2008, 12:20 PM
At least the last few weeks, commentators have been pointing out the lack of pressure the bills d has been getting.

OpIv37

complacency by osmosis- that's reason enough to fire Jauron right there.

justasportsfan
If you watch the defense half of the time they are faking blitz and then backing out to get in their stupidass zone coverage. Hard to be aggressive when you are backpedaling all of the time. They have him in coverage an awful lot so that isn't helping. They turned POz into a Puss.

justasportsfan
12-22-2008, 12:21 PM
complacency by osmosis- that's reason enough to fire Jauron right there.
but,but, he's nice.

I was so pissed when Dick wasn't getting in the refs face yesterday for stupid nons calls.

ddaryl
12-22-2008, 12:22 PM

Some of this can be attibuted to bad coaching. Some to lack of NFL experience. Taking bad angles is a coaching / experience thing IMO... You have to pound that into a young players head over and over again...

But I agree Poz has not lit anyone up and has been adequate.

same can be said about Hardy, who has barely used his body and natural size to get in better position to make plays... The coaches are responsible for beating these techniques into the players heads

billsfanone
12-22-2008, 12:24 PM
but,but, he's nice.

I was so pissed when Dick wasn't getting in the refs face yesterday for stupid nons calls.

You had the WR on the Broncos telling his team to hurry up to the line. Right there that should tell you you should throw the challenge flag.

I yelled at my TV, much to the surprise of my company, when they said that DJ had done good things in Buffalo. UMMMM what good?

yordad
12-22-2008, 12:25 PM
He's our new white Angelo Crowell.How do you figure? Crowell was a great 3rd round selection.

ddaryl
12-22-2008, 12:25 PM
Poz=Josh Reed=Whitner

POZ in the 2nd round was exactly where he was going to picked up... SO I don't think he was drafted to high.

justasportsfan
12-22-2008, 12:26 PM
You had the WR on the Broncos telling his team to hurry up to the line. Right there that should tell you you should throw the challenge flag.

I yelled at my TV, much to the surprise of my company, when they said that DJ had done good things in Buffalo. UMMMM what good?

So anti Marv who loved insulting the refs.

That blown call by the refs that stalled our drive in the red zone which was a difference between a TD and a fg pissed me off . Dick did nothing.

mchurchfie
12-22-2008, 12:36 PM
They turned POz into a Puss.
:ill::cry:

RockStar36
12-22-2008, 12:42 PM
I think he improves if he is a different scheme. This defense as a whole sucks compared to what it could be.

madness
12-22-2008, 12:56 PM
Poz has more solo tackles then any single Bills player's total tackles. As much as they have him in coverage and sending him on fake blitzes to take up a blocker, it's amazing how he always seems to find his way to the ball carrier when it is actually someone else's responsibility. I can't count the number of times he's bailed out Ellison. This reminds me of all the criticism Walker got before we signed him. If there is a weak link in the chain, the whole chain fails its purpose.

It's par for the course when a young LB in this league takes a bad angle because they underestimate someone's speed or gets gobbled up by an OL who shouldn't be getting into the second level in the first place. Heck, even Willis still looks like a rookie every now and then if you want to apply the same standards.

PECKERWOOD
12-22-2008, 03:00 PM
I still think he is a solid pick, he isn't a Patrick Willis or Brian Urlacher but he is a good LB.

Night Train
12-22-2008, 03:23 PM
In this poor D scheme, who knows how good any of our starting LB's are ?

You've got to be kidding me with Digi. Name one time he ever attacked the hole last year without getting trampled by the opposing RB. He completely bombed, filling in for an injured Poz.

Good special teamer, ala Coy Wire and that's it. Way too small.

jimbohastle51
12-22-2008, 03:24 PM
poz will be the MLB here for years to come. the coaching staff loves him and after next week he will have over 110 tackles on the season. he does his job well. he is not here to blitz the QB or pressure him. he is a brian urlacker type (jauron drafted him as well remember) he is a MLB that spy's the qb and sniffs the ball out. his job is to be where the ball goes, and he ALWAYS is. if he isnt there first you see him there when who ever makes the tackle makes it. this is his first season in the pros and i think he did an above average job for basically a rookie. he was a outside LB his whole career at penn state and only moved inside his senior year because he blew his knee out at the end of his junior season. technically because of missing basically his whole season last year, between his senior year and college and this season he has only played 2 seasons at MLB. and one of the 2 was in the NFL. i think he has done great for the lack of expirience he has. the guy is probably the smartest defensive player we have besides donte whitner and i truly believe he will be a a all pro next year now that he has been through this season and had a chance to get some expirience under his belt. you can all say what you want but he WILL be a stud in this league and he isnt going anywhere, not only the coaching staff but the front office and the owner LOVE this guy!

OpIv37
12-22-2008, 03:25 PM
In this poor D scheme, who knows how good any of our starting LB's are ?

You've got to be kidding me with Digi. Name one time he ever attacked the hole last year without getting trampled by the opposing RB. He completely bombed, filling in for an injured Poz.

Good special teamer, ala Coy Wire and that's it. Way too small.

but we're not talking Poz vs DiGi straight up. We're talking moving Poz to the outside and putting DiGi in the middle so Ellison can take a seat.

Poz-Digi-Mitchell is far from ideal, but I'll take it over Ellison-Poz-Mitchell any day.

justasportsfan
12-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Poz-Digi-Mitchell is far from ideal, but I'll take it over Ellison-Poz-Mitchell any day. If we had Crowell might be a decent lbing corps for the 3-4 D.

HHURRICANE
12-22-2008, 03:36 PM
To Justa's point, any chance we resign Crowell? He might end up pretty cheap.

OpIv37
12-22-2008, 03:43 PM
To Justa's point, any chance we resign Crowell? He might end up pretty cheap.

I think that bridge has been burned. He pissed the team off by waiting too long to have the surgery. The team pissed him off by putting him on IR when he could have come back after 6 weeks or so. Too much bad blood.

madness
12-22-2008, 04:05 PM
I think that bridge has been burned. He pissed the team off by waiting too long to have the surgery. The team pissed him off by putting him on IR when he could have come back after 6 weeks or so. Too much bad blood.

That was an early prognosis.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=2774359&postcount=35

PECKERWOOD
12-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Any comparisons to Brian Urlacher are totally premature, imo.

OpIv37
12-22-2008, 04:36 PM

still, the Bills put him on IR when that was the ONLY prognosis. They clearly did it with the intent of teaching him a lesson.

jimbohastle51
12-22-2008, 04:39 PM

not comparing him to urlacher i am just saying that he and urlacher have the same job in jaurons defense. jauron drafted urlacher to play MLB when he was a safety coming out of new mexico. he drafted poz because he saw similar traits.

raphael120
12-22-2008, 04:43 PM
Poz so far is looking like a decent downgrade from London Fletcher.

ServoBillieves
12-22-2008, 05:05 PM
1 year, leading tackler on the team, but hasn't been Ray Lewis on a defense that doesn't fully utilize his attributes and what he can bring to the team.

Let's get rid of him.

mush69
12-22-2008, 05:25 PM
1 year, leading tackler on the team, but hasn't been Ray Lewis on a defense that doesn't fully utilize his attributes and what he can bring to the team.

Let's get rid of him.

I Concur! :beers: :cheers: :drunks: Can I get a Hurumff!

jimbohastle51
12-22-2008, 05:44 PM
Poz so far is looking like a decent downgrade from London Fletcher.

is that really all that bad?? i mean fletcher is one of the elite MLB's in the NFL and Poz has played in the NFL really this season. and he has only played MLB for 2 seasons (1 in college and this year in the NFL)

shelby
12-22-2008, 06:14 PM
But....he's hot.

i'm just sayin'.

Owen DeBoard
12-22-2008, 06:58 PM
Poz=Josh Reed=Whitner

Ok Deion why do you have to make it a white and black issue.

Dujek
12-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Poz would be better utilised outside in the Bills' scheme. He would work as an ILB in a 3-4, but in the 4-3 he is neither big enough or mean enough to play MLB. The Bills should make acquiring a big mean MLB a priority in the offseason, whether through free agency or the draft, and move Poz outside, then we might see the best of him.