X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Schobel's Injury

Next to Edwards' concussion and injury, I'd say.

I know some may argue that he's not that great or in decline. That fact is top notch RDEs do not grow on trees. A Mario Williams or a Julius Peppers is simply not available unless you were really bad and got lucky in a draft year.

With the addition of Stroud and the improvement of Kyle Williams, our D-Line is more than adequate in run defense. What's been killing us is that we just don't have a speed/quick guy who can penetrate and force the issue.

Schobel is that guy. He's not as consistent a threat as he used to be. But just imagine in some of those 3rd down conversions of long drives he makes the QB to hurry a throw, it could mean a world of difference to us.

The Bills thought they had that in McCargo as well, but his suspect work ethics and being over-weight this year put that to rest - Damn I still would like to get that Indy's 4th round pick.

I can't imagine the difference it'll make if the pressure is there half the time, with the secondary we have ...

My biggest disappointment is Kelsay. He was on his way up when we signed him to that big contract. Unlike Schobel, Kelsay gave us nothing back.

The Bills have some interesting decisions to make. I think they have to expect Schobel to be back healthy and Denney will be his backup on that side. Chris Ellis will be back, too, but he's on IR. What to do with Kelsay? Signing a top shelf LDE is very difficult, but maybe they can get a guy with similar output but a lot cheaper than Kelsay. I don't know if they'll draft another DE having spent a 3 on Ellis.
  • ddaryl
    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
    • Jan 2005

Re: Schobel's Injury

they need to go into the offseason believing they have to replace Kelsay, and find an improvement over Schobel...

I could see us getting a top FA and drafting a DE in round #1

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

The D allowed only 16 points to Miami, only 10 to SF and kept us in the Cleveland game despite Trent's turnovers.

In case you're forgetting, the D wasn't exactly racking up the sacks or the stats before Schobel's injury. This is revisionist history. Having Schobel would not have led to any more wins.

I'm no big fan of this D either, but the D has kept us in every game except the Arizona debacle. Even the Patriots game was only 20-10.

The two biggest injuries this season were Edwards and Josh Reed.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• tat2dmike77
        Let the planet get warmer. We'll grow oranges in Alaska!
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
        The D allowed only 16 points to Miami, only 10 to SF and kept us in the Cleveland game despite Trent's turnovers.

In case you're forgetting, the D wasn't exactly racking up the sacks or the stats before Schobel's injury. This is revisionist history. Having Schobel would not have led to any more wins.

I'm no big fan of this D either, but the D has kept us in every game except the Arizona debacle. Even the Patriots game was only 20-10.

The two biggest injuries this season were Edwards and Josh Reed.
        Right but the DE position needs to be upgraded STAT!

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by tat2dmike77
          Right but the DE position needs to be upgraded STAT!
          no argument there. That and C are the two biggest off-season needs.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Philagape
            WIN NOW
            • Jul 2002

Schobel's value is drawing double-teams and letting other guys make plays. Stroud and Williams were making a difference early in the season but not so much since.
            "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
            2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• tat2dmike77
              Let the planet get warmer. We'll grow oranges in Alaska!
              • Dec 2005

Yup and these tards will get a safety and DB. And pick up a second string C and second string DE and tout them as the next Kent Hull and Bruce Smith.

Comment

• billsfanone
                Majored in Home Economics
                • Sep 2008

Shoebel must have been injured the last few years.

Comment

• Griz78
                  • Sep 2002

I agree, we need him back, he was sorely missed. I would still draft a DE in the
                  1st round however, at least someone they can bring in on 3rd down. This is where we miss the pass rush when teams convert these 3rd and longs.

It's a shame Denney can't rush better, he seems to bat a pass down every game and play well against the run.

Comment

• Owen DeBoard
                    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh
                    Next to Edwards' concussion and injury, I'd say.

I know some may argue that he's not that great or in decline. That fact is top notch RDEs do not grow on trees. A Mario Williams or a Julius Peppers is simply not available unless you were really bad and got lucky in a draft year.

With the addition of Stroud and the improvement of Kyle Williams, our D-Line is more than adequate in run defense. What's been killing us is that we just don't have a speed/quick guy who can penetrate and force the issue.

Schobel is that guy. He's not as consistent a threat as he used to be. But just imagine in some of those 3rd down conversions of long drives he makes the QB to hurry a throw, it could mean a world of difference to us.

The Bills thought they had that in McCargo as well, but his suspect work ethics and being over-weight this year put that to rest - Damn I still would like to get that Indy's 4th round pick.

I can't imagine the difference it'll make if the pressure is there half the time, with the secondary we have ...

My biggest disappointment is Kelsay. He was on his way up when we signed him to that big contract. Unlike Schobel, Kelsay gave us nothing back.

The Bills have some interesting decisions to make. I think they have to expect Schobel to be back healthy and Denney will be his backup on that side. Chris Ellis will be back, too, but he's on IR. What to do with Kelsay? Signing a top shelf LDE is very difficult, but maybe they can get a guy with similar output but a lot cheaper than Kelsay. I don't know if they'll draft another DE having spent a 3 on Ellis.
                    To be the man you got to beat the man!

Comment

• DMBcrew36
                      • Feb 2005

"High motor guy" Schobel is an overrated, overpaid white boy who is average at best. Teams and players probably already see that on tape. The only time he'll ever make a difference is against a crap team with a crap o-line.

I look forward to the day when he is off the team. We better draft a DE with one of our top 2 picks.

Comment

• mayotm
                        • Jul 2003

LB to replace Ellison ranks right up there with DE and C.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                          • May 2003

Schobel has become quite ineffective the last few years. I think his injury made little difference in our season. He is simply not a big time pass rusher.
                          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• yordad
                            • Dec 2007

Maybe Schobel could make the switch to the left side, and we could find a game changer for the right.
                            "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• colin
                              Drew's my hero!
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DMBcrew36
                              "High motor guy" Schobel is an overrated, overpaid white boy who is average at best. Teams and players probably already see that on tape. The only time he'll ever make a difference is against a crap team with a crap o-line.

I look forward to the day when he is off the team. We better draft a DE with one of our top 2 picks.
                              you've seen how many sacks he had in his career before he got hurt, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X