PDA

View Full Version : Offseason with no crazy trades and trying to be real as possible

Mitchell55
12-22-2008, 06:02 PM
Fire Jauron bring in Billick

1 trade

McCargo to colts for 5th. Last year they almost gave us a 4th, with injury concerns he drops to a 5th. Reasonable enough.

Release- Royal, Ko, McNtire, and Kelsay

Resign- Jackson, Wilson, Chamber, Niel, Preston, Digi

Dont resign- Hamdan, Jenkins, Fowler, Bryan, Ellison, Harrison, Greer

Free Agents

Eric Johnson TE- Not old at 28, bigger TE at 6-4, 252 pounds. Great hands and has had at least 2 TDs in each season but 1. Also in his 1st season as a starter he had 82 catches, 800+ yds, and 2 TDs.

Darian Barnes FB- I know we shouldnt bring back players that we released but c'mon, who didnt love this guy.

Bart Scott LB- With Suggs and Lewis gone, scott will be last in there priorities to keep. If we do get Billick he might swing here because Billick took him and made him into what he is.

Draft

1st- Michael Johnson DE- Huge! 6-7, 257 pounds and gets great pressure on the QB.
2nd- Johnathon Luigs C- Not a bad player and will complete our OL.
3rd- Brian Robiskie WR- Not to sure about hardy and Parrish in not a NFL reciever.
4th- Jarron Gilbert DT- Hopefully will end up next to Stroud and make our DL a force.
5th- David Viekune DE- Hopefully will add depth to our DL.
5th- Mike Reily QB- Great stats with 30+ tds and under 5 INTs
6th- Ryan Sanchek T- Depth
7th- Robert Francois LB- Depth

Depth Chart

QB- Trent, Reily
RB- Lynch, Jackson, Oman
FB- Barnes/meathead
WR- Evans, Reed, Johnson, Hardy, Roboski (parrish PR spec)
TE- Johnson, Fine, Shouman
LT- Peters, Bell
LG- Doc, Whittle
C- Luigs, Preston
RG- Butler, Chambers
RT- Walker, Sanchek
LE- Johnson, Ellis, Viekune
RE- Schobel, Denney, Viekune
DT- Stroud, Gilbert, Williams, Johnson
LB- Mitchell, Bowen
LB- Pos, Digi
LB- Scott, Francois
CB- McGee, McKelvin, Youboty, Corner
FS- Whitner, Wendling
SS- Scott, Wilson
K- Lindell
P- Moorman
LS- Niel

patmoran2006
12-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Darian Barnes FB- I know we shouldnt bring back players that we released but c'mon, who didnt love this guy.

Umm.. The Bills didnt love this guy. They CUT him during the season, remember?

The Jokeman
12-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Not bringing back guys like Bryan, Ellison is foolish. While they aren't starting material they're solid depth and would re-sign them.

In terms of your options in UFA, Johnson is available right now last I checked and we've made no attempt to sign him. If we do pursue an UFA in free agency one interesting name could be LJ Smith, I know he was franchised by the Eagles last year but due up again this year. If they decide to part ways with McNabb and/or Andy Reid he could become available and think he'd be worth bring in. That said I'm not as anti-Rob Royal as most on this board as think Royal's a great blocking TE but we're expecting too much from him as a receiver.

Also not bringing in a veteran QB to backup Trent is foolish. IF Jauron is retained I could see us bringing in a guy like Dan Orlovsky, who I know been a good starter in Detroit but is the type of veteran QB we could use Ie a guy who's had starting experience but not a real threat to replace Trent Edwards but could be used in a game or two if needed.

Also I can't see drafting a WR so early but wouldn't be against bringing in a veteran to compete for depth behind Evans, --------, Reed, Hardy, Parrish and possibly S Jackson.

I agree Barnes was better then McIntyre but wonder if he'd want to come back here after sent packing.

I also think we need to shore up some depth on the interior of the O-line with a few more vets and possibly bringing in a veteran for the D-line too.

THATHURMANATOR
12-22-2008, 06:53 PM
Barnes is on the Saints guys, and who gives a **** about him?

Mitchell55
12-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Barnes is on the Saints guys, and who gives a **** about him?

He was one of the most popular bills on this board when he was here.

Mitchell55
12-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Not bringing back guys like Bryan, Ellison is foolish. While they aren't starting material they're solid depth and would re-sign them. Ellison is just flat out horrible. Bryan is better but in my opinion, not worth keeping.

In terms of your options in UFA, Johnson is available right now last I checked and we've made no attempt to sign him. If we do pursue an UFA in free agency one interesting name could be LJ Smith, I know he was franchised by the Eagles last year but due up again this year. If they decide to part ways with McNabb and/or Andy Reid he could become available and think he'd be worth bring in. That said I'm not as anti-Rob Royal as most on this board as think Royal's a great blocking TE but we're expecting too much from him as a receiver. After Royals fumbles and drops over the years, I just want him gone. LJ smith is even worse than royal, he has more drops and fumbles and makes things a mess for the eagles.

Also not bringing in a veteran QB to backup Trent is foolish. IF Jauron is retained I could see us bringing in a guy like Dan Orlovsky, who I know been a good starter in Detroit but is the type of veteran QB we could use Ie a guy who's had starting experience but not a real threat to replace Trent Edwards but could be used in a game or two if needed. Everytime I put the only veteran that we could get, Boller, everyone bashes me. Our vets that would be backups are Boller, Batch, Ramsey, and Grossman.

Also I can't see drafting a WR so early but wouldn't be against bringing in a veteran to compete for depth behind Evans, --------, Reed, Hardy, Parrish and possibly S Jackson. Im not to sure on hardy. I think that we need another young player just incase hardy is not as good as we had hoped.

I agree Barnes was better then McIntyre but wonder if he'd want to come back here after sent packing.

I also think we need to shore up some depth on the interior of the O-line with a few more vets and possibly bringing in a veteran for the D-line too.

mysticsoto
12-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Fire Jauron bring in Billick

1 trade

McCargo to colts for 5th. Last year they almost gave us a 4th, with injury concerns he drops to a 5th. Reasonable enough.

I'm not sure you'll get anything for McCargo now, but we can pretend...and personally, I doubt they fire Jauron.

Release- Royal, Ko, McNtire, and Kelsay

Resign- Jackson, Wilson, Chamber, Niel, Preston, Digi

Dont resign- Hamdan, Jenkins, Fowler, Bryan, Ellison, Harrison, Greer

I'd keep Bryan, Ellison and Greer if possible.

Free Agents

Eric Johnson TE- Not old at 28, bigger TE at 6-4, 252 pounds. Great hands and has had at least 2 TDs in each season but 1. Also in his 1st season as a starter he had 82 catches, 800+ yds, and 2 TDs.

Ok. Johnson would be fine with me. He wouldn't be a HUGE upgrade, but he's okay...

I'd draft a FB in the 7th or just pick one up from the undrafted. FBs aren't highly coveted and I'm pretty sure we can find a decent young one that is eager to prove himself.

Bart Scott LB- With Suggs and Lewis gone, scott will be last in there priorities to keep. If we do get Billick he might swing here because Billick took him and made him into what he is.

Sure...as long as he's not as expensive or moreso than it would have took to keep Crowell. Otherwise, I prefer Crowell!

Draft

1st- Michael Johnson DE- Huge! 6-7, 257 pounds and gets great pressure on the QB.
2nd- Johnathon Luigs C- Not a bad player and will complete our OL.
3rd- Brian Robiskie WR- Not to sure about hardy and Parrish in not a NFL reciever.
4th- Jarron Gilbert DT- Hopefully will end up next to Stroud and make our DL a force.
5th- David Viekune DE- Hopefully will add depth to our DL.
5th- Mike Reily QB- Great stats with 30+ tds and under 5 INTs
6th- Ryan Sanchek T- Depth
7th- Robert Francois LB- Depth

I'd go a different route for the 3rd rd pick. I feel we have a greater need for a strong guard. If Orakpo is taken in the 1st, then I guess Johnson is fine. I do like Luigs. He might be available in the 3rd though. I think I'd change the 6th rd and take a speedy safety project rather than a Tackle. We are doing great at Tackle with Peters, Walker, Chambers, and Bell on the roster and Scott on the PS.

Overall, not bad though...

ddaryl
12-23-2008, 10:24 AM
yes this is better

but I agree some guys might not be starters here but they are excellent depth guys...

your FA acquisition is good, and logical, but I need to research college players to comment

justasportsfan
12-23-2008, 10:25 AM
Our vets that would be backups are Boller, Batch, Ramsey, and Grossman.
great a bunch of qb's who've lost confidence in themselves trying to mentor another qb who at some point lost confidence too. What are they gonna talk ?

You also resign Greer if there is no competition for his services. Based on Trents injury history, you don't have a back up plan at that position.

DraftBoy
12-23-2008, 10:43 AM
Alright for the last time now, NOBODY is going to trade for McCargo, his value is zilch. The guy is out of shape, failed a physical and was IR'd. That's a huge red flag. Look for Buffalo to cut him this offseason.

Mr. Miyagi
12-23-2008, 10:43 AM
Hell no on Billick. Jesus.

cocamide
12-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Our team fell apart after Barnes was cut.

DraftBoy
12-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Our team fell apart after Barnes was cut.

No it was when Baker went on IR.

OpIv37
12-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Trading McCargo to Indy is a pipe dream- they rejected him once. They won't get fooled again.

I think Ko is decent depth- I wouldn't be opposed to cutting him but we would need a replacement. Kelsay sucks, but again I'd only cut him if we find a replacement. Royal and McIntyre can go, no questions asked.

Draft looks good on positions alone, but I don't follow it enough to know if it's realistic.

PECKERWOOD
12-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Ugh....

jamze132
12-24-2008, 07:33 AM
McCargo to the team that rejected him once already? :rofl:

Come on guy!

trapezeus
12-24-2008, 10:54 AM
starting a rookie Center is as risky and miserable using the guys we got. i don't mind drafting a center, but i dont think it's realistic to think he'd start.

I never liked billick. He won a superbowl with an awesome defense and he's an offense guy. his offenses have sucked it with rookie QB's and all pros in the twilight of their careers.

RockStar36
12-24-2008, 11:24 AM

Are you kidding me? So THAT is a reason to sign him during the off-season?? He was cut during the season. That tells you all you need to know about the guy. Honestly, this is very foolish.

THATHURMANATOR
12-24-2008, 11:35 AM
No he wasnt

elltrain22
12-24-2008, 11:53 AM
No offense, b/c I'm sure you tried to keep this realistic, and did some good research, but if this was really our offseason, I'd be very disappointed. First off, Billick is not the guy I would want. I'm warming up to the idea of Spagnola or Swartz, those guys could make an immediate impact w/ this team. Billick is a respectable name, but I want someone else. Second, if our answer to fixing our TE position is signing another overrated white-boy tight end, I'll effin throw up. No thanks to Eric Johnson. If he can't do it in pass happy New Orleans, he sure as hell can't do it here. I'm not totally bashing Barnes like everyone else is, but he's a fullback, and I just can't get myself to get excited; ever; about us signing a FB. I like the Bart Scott signing, and I'd love to see that happen, but would rather see us go after Karlos Dansby, but Scott maybe more realistic. As far as the draft picks, I love the 1st pick, but after that it seems like a bunch of average guys who we'll end up losing patience in developing.

Again, great post, and hope you don't take this as a bash towards you

Dozerdog
12-24-2008, 11:59 AM
On top of the 7000 reasons listed- I'm not wasting a 2nd rounder on a center - very few are 1st day picks and even fewer justify their selection

User Manuel
12-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Goodbye:

Fowler, Ko Simpson, McCargo, McIntyre, Losman

Hello:

C Richie Incognito Rams
FB Leonard Weaver Sea
QB Ryan Fitzpatrick Cinn
DT Jovon Haye Bucs

Draft:

1st LB Rey Maualuga USC (Poz moves outside)
2nd SS Mike Hamlin Clemson
3rd LB Scott Mckillop Pitt
4th OG Cedric Dockery Texas
5th CB Tony Carter Florida State
6th WR Earnest Jackson Buffalo
7th CB Terrail Lambert ND

DraftBoy
12-24-2008, 12:58 PM
Draft:
1st LB Rey Maualuga USC (Poz moves outside)
2nd SS Mike Hamlin Clemson
3rd LB Scott Mckillop Pitt
4th OG Cedric Dockery Texas
5th CB Tony Carter Florida State
6th WR Earnest Jackson Buffalo
7th CB Terrail Lambert ND

1. Pass on Mauluga, go DE in Johnson, or Orakpo, if Curry is avail take him
2. SS Hamlin...not bad if you're moving Whitner to CB or FS, but not a huge need
3. Versatile LB with good technique. Not overly athleitc though, more of a 4-3 base LB.
4. Dockery-Good pick should motivate Derrick some.
5. Not a bad pick
6. Guy will be a UDFA and you want to take him with a 6th?
7. Hell no, just no...Ive seen him at ND too much already