PDA

View Full Version : Per Wilson, Modrak to have more say.

HHURRICANE
12-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Great, Modrak will be calling more of the shots. I guess his scouting since 2001 hasn't created enough damage for this team.

Wilson is high on Trent Edwards so that should be the end of his career.

patmoran2006
12-22-2008, 07:41 PM
WHAT?!??!?!? Where did you hear this from.

Modrak should be the FIRST ONE GONE!!! Before Jauron or anyone else.

This is the mofo responsible for taking Whitner with the 8th pick, trading up for John McCargo-- OMG I can go on and on.

Wilson says we lack talent, and gives more power to a guy whos as responsible for the guys on this roster as anybody?

No ****ing way.

Mitchy moo
12-22-2008, 08:16 PM
:deadhorse

Nighthawk
12-22-2008, 08:19 PM
WHAT?!??!?!? Where did you hear this from.

Modrak should be the FIRST ONE GONE!!! Before Jauron or anyone else.

This is the mofo responsible for taking Whitner with the 8th pick, trading up for John McCargo-- OMG I can go on and on.

Wilson says we lack talent, and gives more power to a guy whos as responsible for the guys on this roster as anybody?

No ****ing way.

I agree, but here it is...who knows with Ralphy, he may change his mind tomorrow.

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/sto...storyID=753209

Jeff1220
Per Wilson, Modrak to have more say.

Yeah, that should do it. :rolleyes:

elltrain22
Got a link, b/c I find that hard to believe. I agree w/ Pat he needs to be canned even more than the dick

DraftBoy
12-22-2008, 08:21 PM
You've got to be ****ing kidding me.

Nighthawk
12-22-2008, 08:22 PM
Got a link, b/c I find that hard to believe. I agree w/ Pat he needs to be canned even more than the dick

See my post above...the link is there.

gr8slayer
12-22-2008, 08:39 PM
Ralph Wilson for H.O.F!

theanswer74
12-22-2008, 08:39 PM
The same Tom Modrak that built the Eagles team that went to 4 straight NFC championships and a Super Bowl?

Anyone else have that resume?

If he will finally take a GM job, hurry up and give it to him before he changes his mind. Teams have been trying to grab Modrak every year but he turns them down because he liked scouting again.

Maybe he can get Jim Johnson out of Philly also.

gr8slayer
12-22-2008, 08:43 PM
The same Tom Modrak that built the Eagles team that went to 4 straight NFC championships and a Super Bowl?

Anyone else have that resume?

If he will finally take a GM job, hurry up and give it to him before he changes his mind. Teams have been trying to grab Modrak every year but he turns them down because he liked scouting again.

Maybe he can get Jim Johnson out of Philly also.
I'm really not impressed, it's about winning Super Bowls, not getting to them. When will you all figure that out?

theanswer74
12-22-2008, 08:46 PM
I'm really not impressed, it's about winning Super Bowls, not getting to them. When will you all figure that out?

Ok, so that leaves Piolli as the only other guy more qualified?

Modrak has just been a scout here, he hasn't had power to make decisions.

There isnt a better football guy out there unless you get Piolli, and Morak already knows what this team needs.

Nighthawk
12-22-2008, 08:51 PM
Ralph Wilson for H.O.F!

NEVER!!!!

gr8slayer
12-22-2008, 08:51 PM

There isnt a better football guy out there unless you get Piolli, and Morak already knows what this team needs.
And you've been impressed with his great job of scouting talent eh?

This is as stupid as the morons in Dallas who want Garrett to be the next HC even though he hasn't even proven that he can run an offense, much less an entire team.

This would qualify as a cheap ass move by Ralph.

theanswer74
12-22-2008, 08:56 PM
And you've been impressed with his great job of scouting talent eh?

This is as stupid as the morons in Dallas who want Garrett to be the next HC even though he hasn't even proven that he can run an offense, much less an entire team.

This would qualify as a cheap ass move by Ralph.

How do we know what players he wanted to draft or sign?

All I can do is look at him when he had the power, he did a great job. Picking McNabb over Ricky Williams was all him.

gr8slayer
12-22-2008, 09:06 PM
How do we know what players he wanted to draft or sign?

All I can do is look at him when he had the power, he did a great job. Picking McNabb over Ricky Williams was all him.
He's also the guy who took Corey Simon, Freddie Mitchell, Jerome McDougle, in the first round. I just think the Bills could do a lot better, but it's going to cost Ralph some major dollars to make it happen.

jimbohastle51
12-22-2008, 09:07 PM
i think jauron has ALOT to say about the players we draft, but he was good in chicago at drafting players at least (urlacher, mike brown, alex brown, olin kruetz, fred miller). i have a feeling though, if juaron is back next year he will have abit of what reigns he has stripped. it will be hard enough to sell to the media and fans the fact he is staying even if he is the better of the canidates they would look at because of the buyout they would have to pay him. i mean you cant say "ok, bills fans jauron is staying and nothing is going to change" they are going to have to at least take more control of drafting and take less of of him so all he has to do is coach. i know he has had alot of pull in his time here because he was levy's guy.

gr8slayer
12-22-2008, 09:08 PM
i think jauron has ALOT to say about the players we draft, but he was good in chicago at drafting players at least (urlacher, mike brown, alex brown, olin kruetz, fred miller). i have a feeling though, if juaron is back next year he will have abit of what reigns he has stripped. it will be hard enough to sell to the media and fans the fact he is staying even if he is the better of the canidates they would look at because of the buyout they would have to pay him. i mean you cant say "ok, bills fans jauron is staying and nothing is going to change" they are going to have to at least take more control of drafting and take less of of him so all he has to do is coach. i know he has had alot of pull in his time here because he was levy's guy.
Well, if he's running the show then he doesn't know how to draft for his own defense because there are only about three players currently on the team who fit the scheme after three drafts under Jauron.

Nighthawk
12-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Well, if he's running the show then he doesn't know how to draft for his own defense because there are only about three players currently on the team who fit the scheme after three drafts under Jauron.

I don't think you know this, but I hate Jauron and think he sucks at everything he does. He's just not good at anything involving coaching or talent evaluation.

gr8slayer
12-22-2008, 09:12 PM
I don't think you know this, but I hate Jauron and think he sucks at everything he does. He's just not good at anything involving coaching or talent evaluation.
I don't know if I would go that far, but there's no doubt that he has a lot of work to do if he's ever going to be a successful HC.

historypete
12-22-2008, 09:13 PM
It is all about consistency. We are going to be consistantly 7-9 under the current organizational structure. Modrak, Guy and Jauron what a wonderful crew.

I bet that even if Jauron is canned, Ralph will try to get the next coach to keep the staff because he won't have to pay them all.

theanswer74
12-22-2008, 09:15 PM
He's also the guy who took Corey Simon, Freddie Mitchell, Jerome McDougle, in the first round. I just think the Bills could do a lot better, but it's going to cost Ralph some major dollars to make it happen.

Doesnt matter when you hit on the QB.

All GM's make mistakes. He hit on the one that counted. All of Philly wanted Ricky Williams.

If Modrak can go out and hire his coach, like Jim Johnson who he has a great relationship with, then this would be a great move.

gr8slayer
12-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Doesnt matter when you hit on the QB.

All GM's make mistakes. He hit on the one that counted. All of Philly wanted Ricky Williams.

If Modrak can go out and hire his coach, like Jim Johnson who he has a great relationship with, then this would be a great move.
And Ricky Williams would have been a wonderful pick for the Eagles. There's absolutely no way that anyone could have foreseen that he would have the issues he eventually ended up having. Before he began having his issues Ricky Williams was well on his way to being one of the best backs of all time. McNabb will go down as one of the biggest losers of big games in history.

I understand where you're coming from, but bringing up one draft pick that would have been great either way still doesn't have me sold. There have been plenty of teams that have tried to get Jim Johnson to be their HC in the past and he has turned them down. I don't see him wanting to go to Buffalo unless he's released by the new HC (assuming they fire Reid).

Owen DeBoard
12-22-2008, 09:21 PM
And Ricky Williams would have been a wonderful pick for the Eagles. There's absolutely no way that anyone could have foreseen that he would have the issues he eventually ended up having. Before he began having his issues Ricky Williams was well on his way to being one of the best backs of all time. McNabb will go down as one of the biggest losers of big games in history.

I understand where you're coming from, but bringing up one draft pick that would have been great either way still doesn't have me sold. There have been plenty of teams that have tried to get Jim Johnson to be their HC in the past and he has turned them down. I don't see him wanting to go to Buffalo unless he's released by the new HC (assuming they fire Reid).
I would have to say that Brian Westbrook is better than Ricky Williams.

gr8slayer
12-22-2008, 09:22 PM
I'm glad you'd say that, I completely disagree. Before Williams was suspended he was on his way to being a Hall of Fame back. Westbrook will never be that due to his inability to stay healthy.

theanswer74
12-22-2008, 09:25 PM

OK, just for the heck of it, who do you want the Bills to bring in as GM other than Pioli?

Charley Casserly who picked David Carr #1?

Floyd Reese who drafted Pac Man Jones and Vince Young?

Who's out there? Modrak is qualified, he just needs the power to do what he wants. The Bills have been trying to give it to him, as well as other teams, he has denied it.

He brought Ried and Jim Johnson to Philly, if Modrak has his say, why wouldnt he want Jim Johnson here? Thats why i would be excited if Modrak get more power, Jim Johnson.

Nighthawk
12-22-2008, 09:27 PM
OK, just for the heck of it, who do you want the Bills to bring in as GM other than Pioli?

Who's out there? Modrak is qualified, he just needs the power to do what he wants. The Bills have been trying to give it to him, as well as other teams, he has denied it.

People make mistakes, however, those guys have also had their success stories. This organization needs an infusion of outside help...not more hiring from within!

gr8slayer
12-22-2008, 09:30 PM

In my opinion the ideal candidate would be a former coach who has no fire for coaching anymore, but still wants to be a part of an organization. People like Bill Cowher and Mike Holmgren both come to mind right away. Pioli would be a great candidate, as would A.J. Smith if he's let go by the Chargers as some rumors have suggested. I would also gladly welcome Reese.

There is no point in simply upgrading someone from a staff that has proven that they don't have the ability to put a winner on the field. It's time to cut ties with everyone minus April and start completely fresh.

theanswer74
12-22-2008, 09:35 PM
People make mistakes, however, those guys have also had their success stories. This organization needs an infusion of outside help...not more hiring from within!

Modrak isnt Schonert though. Modrak was a very wanted guy for GM positions but turned them down.

Its a little different.

I know people are tired of the same names, but Modrak is qualified.

It really all depends on his opinion of Jauron. If Modrak wants to go get his own guy, I trust this guy to go get a good coach.

He also was influential in bringing in Brad Childress in Philly, Childress is the HC for the Vikings now.

I dont know, i just wouldnt hate the idea as long as he gets to pick a new head coach.

theanswer74
12-22-2008, 09:39 PM
In my opinion the ideal candidate would be a former coach who has no fire for coaching anymore, but still wants to be a part of an organization. People like Bill Cowher and Mike Holmgren both come to mind right away. Pioli would be a great candidate, as would A.J. Smith if he's let go by the Chargers as some rumors have suggested. I would also gladly welcome Reese.

There is no point in simply upgrading someone from a staff that has proven that they don't have the ability to put a winner on the field. It's time to cut ties with everyone minus April and start completely fresh.

Modrak scouted players here, thats all. He didnt say we are draft John Mccargo and thats that.

Mike Holmgren would be a great choice, but he wants to be in SF I think.

I would take Reese as well.

Give me a guy with GM experience and a lot of years in the NFL. Modrak fits,if he wants it.

Schonert had no OC experience, so its a little different.

If I had to choose, Piolli, Reese, and then Modrak would be my choices, but only if Modrak cleans house and brings in his own people.

gr8slayer
12-22-2008, 09:40 PM
Modrak isnt Schonert though. Modrak was a very wanted guy for GM positions but turned them down.

Its a little different.

I know people are tired of the same names, but Modrak is qualified.

It really all depends on his opinion of Jauron. If Modrak wants to go get his own guy, I trust this guy to go get a good coach.

He also was influential in bringing in Brad Childress in Philly, Childress is the HC for the Vikings now.

I dont know, i just wouldnt hate the idea as long as he gets to pick a new head coach.
And Childress has done absolutely nothing with a very talented Vikings squad in one of the most pathetic divisions in football.

I think you might also be discrediting how much say Wilson himself has. I have no hard evidence to go by, but the Bills have been losers for the vast majority of their time in the NFL and only one thing has been constant over all of those years and decades.... Ralph Wilson. I have a feeling he has a lot to say whenever anyone in the F.O. is trying to make a decision.

For example, let's assume that Modrak is the new GM of the Buffalo Bills. He'd be stupid not to try and attract guys like Reid, Holmgren, Billick, Cowher, Spagnola, etc.... He might want one of those guys, but what if Ralph Wilson does not? What if he's unwilling to pay for that kind of a name? In my opinion it matters not who the GM is as long as Wilson is running things behind closed doors and is signing the checks.

gr8slayer
12-22-2008, 09:41 PM
Modrak scouted players here, thats all. He didnt say we are draft John Mccargo and thats that.

Mike Holmgren would be a great choice, but he wants to be in SF I think.

I would take Reese as well.

Give me a guy with GM experience and a lot of years in the NFL. Modrak fits,if he wants it.

Schonert had no OC experience, so its a little different.

If I had to choose, Piolli, Reese, and then Modrak would be my choices, but only if Modrak cleans house and brings in his own people.
See next post.... #31.

theanswer74
12-22-2008, 09:45 PM
And Childress has done absolutely nothing with a very talented Vikings squad in one of the most pathetic divisions in football.

I think you might also be discrediting how much say Wilson himself has. I'm have no hard facts to go by, but the Bills have been losers for the vast majority of their time in the NFL and only one thing has been constant over all of those years and decades.... Ralph Wilson. I have a feeling he has a lot to say whenever anyone in the F.O. is trying to make a decision.

For example, let's assume that Modrak is the new GM of the Buffalo Bills. He'd be stupid not to try and attract guys like Reid, Holmgren, Billick, Cowher, Spagnola, etc.... He might want one of those guys, but what if Ralph Wilson does not? What if he's unwilling to pay for that kind of a name? In my opinion it matters not who the GM is as long as Wilson is running things behind closed doors and is signing the checks.

Modrak knows how it works, which is why i think he turned down the job and other jobs.

He got into a power struggle in Philly with other front office guys, that why he left Philly and chose to be a scout again.

Modrak or Reese or any other real GM would only do it if Ralph backs away.

Tom Donahoe, AJ Smith, and the late John Butler have spread the word about how horrible it is to work for Ralph.

Ralph is going to have to back off if he wants to sign a decent front office guy.

gr8slayer
12-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Modrak knows how it works, which is why i think he turned down the job and other jobs.

He got into a power struggle in Philly with other front office guys, that why he left Philly and chose to be a scout again.

Modrak or Reese or any other real GM would only do it if Ralph backs away.

Tom Donahoe, AJ Smith, and the late John Butler have spread the word about how horrible it is to work for Ralph.

Ralph is going to have to back off if he wants to sign a decent front office guy.
Honestly, the only team I heard of that was serious about going after Modrak at any point after Philly was Washington. Other than that I really haven't heard his name when it comes to employment on other squads.

We do agree on one thing though, Wilson needs to lay off and let the football people make the football decisions.

theanswer74
12-22-2008, 09:53 PM
Honestly, the only team I heard of that was serious about going after Modrak at any point after Philly was Washington. Other than that I really haven't heard his name when it comes to employment on other squads.

We do agree on one thing though, Wilson needs to lay off and let the football people make the football decisions.

Either way, your right, it comes down to Wilson backing off and letting the football people do their job.

The 1st job has to be getting rid of Dick jauron. Any GM guy who wants to do that Im fine with.

There are very few people out there you could hire with a worse resume then Dick Jauron.

And Im actually reading up on Modrak, I guess his 1st choice for HC in Philly was Hasslett.

gr8slayer
12-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Either way, your right, it comes down to Wilson backing off and letting the football people do their job.

The 1st job has to be getting rid of Dick jauron. Any GM guy who wants to do that Im fine with.

There are very few people out there you could hire with a worse resume then Dick Jauron.
I don't know, I really think that it could get worse than Jauron. It all comes down to how much Wilson is willing to spend, if he wants to do what it takes to get the right guy then the Bills will be a good team next season and for years after that because the talent is there, it's just a lack of execution.

theanswer74
12-22-2008, 09:58 PM
I don't know, I really think that it could get worse than Jauron. It all comes down to how much Wilson is willing to spend, if he wants to do what it takes to get the right guy then the Bills will be a good team next season and for years after that because the talent is there, it's just a lack of execution.

Like who though?

I cant think of one coach with a worse resume.

He has 1 winning season in 9 years of being a head coach. Who even gets 9 years with 1 winning season.

He's never even had a top 10 defense as a DC.

PECKERWOOD
12-22-2008, 10:04 PM
Theanswer74 has made some kick ass points in this thread, imho.

bigbub2352
12-22-2008, 10:31 PM
the fact that this organization is letting rumors out now, should give u a good indication that this coaching staff and front office will be intact next year

Modrak is suppossed to be in charge of College Scouting aka the Draft and as pat and HH already stated have put together some sad drafts and harbored our future by giving away first day picks and missing largely on our first day picks, now u can argue all you want but the key to the NFL is winning games and championships

Not being mediocre and not making the post season for close to a decade we r the second worst team in the NFL the last 9 years hell even AZ finally turned it around somewhat...

Yet we want to keep these guys around cause they may have found a QB? and they beat losing teams, and a winning team in Denver that put up over 500 yards on us?

I hate to rebuild and i dont believe we would have to completely but we need to install passion and winning attitude, pride and playmakers u can add all of that besides play makers with the addition of a winning coach, a winning GM, someone who knows what it takes, not a group that is not willing to rock the boat in other words yesmen
if this news is true it adds to the very sad things going on at onebills drive
sad

jimbohastle51
12-22-2008, 11:39 PM

i never said he was doing a good job now, i said he did in Chicago. and i agree that we have a few players that dont fit our defensive scheme but we are getting them out, just slower than we should have. denney and kelsay should have been gone, and ellison had no buissness starting all season, as well as ko simpson. stroud and williams are both studs though and poz and mitchell play well together, so far mitchell has 4 sacks 2 int's and 2 ff and right around 80 tackles he is deffinatly doing what he was brought here to do and poz flies around the ball, and will be even better next year. but i do agree DREADNOUGHT that we need a OLB and a pass rushing DE like imediately! and honestly i know there going to keep whit at FS and scott is going to be the SS next year (they have done everything to hint to that, hell chris brown even did a little thing on scott) but i think if there was an upgrade available that would be nice remember dawkins and sharper are free agents this year :)

zone
12-23-2008, 07:35 AM
Can't win them if you are not there.

THATHURMANATOR
12-23-2008, 07:55 AM
Guys can we confirm that Modrak has been behind all of these draft picks? Is it not possible that he put in his two cents and they went in another direction on some of these picks?

mysticsoto
12-23-2008, 08:00 AM
So if Modrak wasn't having much say...who was? Guy? Wilson himself? It may be that our draft choices weren't Modrak's picks or preferred choices...

mysticsoto
12-23-2008, 08:01 AM
Guys can we confirm that Modrak has been behind all of these draft picks? Is it not possible that he put in his two cents and they went in another direction on some of these picks?

You beat me to it...

ddaryl
12-23-2008, 08:16 AM
People give modrak crap here... but our last few drafts (post Marv) haven't been too bad, and have netted us some damn good players.

Maybe it was Modrak who pushed for different players at different draft positions but was out voted of draft day ???

I guess if he is getting a expanded role were going to find out for sure...

Griz78
12-23-2008, 08:16 AM
If you read the article, Ralph is adding him to the "inner circle" which leads me to believe that he did not have the final say on draft picks. Like work, I can work, consult and suggest a plan for a business but if the President or decision maker does not agree, what can I do?

Also, John Warrow, I believe he talked to Ralph was on WGR this morning and stated that Modrak suggested Cutler to Ralph and Levy but they decided on Whitner because they had JP.

Also, in the same interview, Ralph is still mad about losing Pat Williams. The interview shoudl be in the WGR Audio Vault later.

Ickybaluky
12-23-2008, 08:23 AM

Modrak didn't have anything to do with the drafting of Westbrook, however. He was fired by the Eagles after the 2001 draft. Westbrook was drafted in 2002.

That said, the Eagles made the right move not picking Ricky Williams. McNabb was the pick to be made there, as he was the potential franchise guy. You can always find a RB, you don't have to take one in the top-5.

DraftBoy
12-23-2008, 08:49 AM
So if Modrak wasn't having much say...who was? Guy? Wilson himself? It may be that our draft choices weren't Modrak's picks or preferred choices...

You and Thurm raise an interesting point. If Modrak was not in the inner circle to begin with then this move isnt as bad on its face as it appears. We'll have to see what happens with this draft.

methos4ever
12-23-2008, 09:01 AM
Don't forget that Ralph was the one who piped up and asked "is that guy from fresno state still on the board", and when they replied yes said that was our pick wrt Wright.

I didn't know about the WGR int this morning - if that's the case, it makes a lot of sense that Modrak has been getting flack for assembling a war room board and having Donahoe, Levy and now Jauron ignore it for their hunches.

Here are the links to the audio/articles:

http://www.wgr550.com/Jauron-is--safe-/3545456

http://audio.wgr550.com/m/audio/21707187/the-ap-s-john-wawrow-on-the-howard-simon-show.htm

patmoran2006
12-23-2008, 09:05 AM

Aren't his fingerprints, both in the TD and Levy era, all over this team its owner's self-admitted "lack of talent"?

And we're going to give him MORE influence?

RockStar36
12-23-2008, 09:08 AM
Aren't his fingerprints, both in the TD and Levy era, all over this team its owner's self-admitted "lack of talent"?

And we're going to give him MORE influence?

I'll have to listen to the audio stuff but if he is being added to the "inner circle" then I wouldn't be too hard on him about the past drafts because that makes me think that he wasn't very involved before.

ddaryl
12-23-2008, 09:11 AM
I'll have to listen to the audio stuff but if he is being added to the "inner circle" then I wouldn't be too hard on him about the past drafts because that makes me think that he wasn't very involved before.

it may just go to prove how little we we really know about how screwed up this organization is.

If Modrak was assembling our draft boards, but had little involvement as a high ranking FO guy, then its safe for all of us to ask WTF?

the guy is the head of talent evaluation and you don't listen to him or out vote him on the day of the big dance...

then again it could all be media fed mis information from the Buffalo Bills spin room...

madness
12-23-2008, 09:59 AM
People give modrak crap here... but our last few drafts (post Marv) haven't been too bad, and have netted us some damn good players.

Maybe it was Modrak who pushed for different players at different draft positions but was out voted of draft day ???

I guess if he is getting a expanded role were going to find out for sure...

Perfect example... Modrak wanted to draft Jay Cutler and got shot down by Ralph because we already had Losman.

More and more teams are switching to an "inner circle" instead of depending on one guy to make or ruin a franchise. In fact, you hear more GM's taking a fall each year and have heard very little of these GM's by committee failing.

Ralph led us under the impression that this was what was exactly supposed to happen after Marv stepped down. For whatever reason, the guy with the most football knowledge was left out of the decision making. Believe me when I say this is the best thing to happen to the Bills FO. Modrak brings instant credibility to this FO and also has many connections throughout the league.

It's hilarious seeing the same people knocking Modrak who would die to bring in Cowher. Modrak still keeps in touch after all these years and would most likely be a huge factor if Cowher ever legitimately thought about coming to Buffalo.

PECKERWOOD
12-23-2008, 10:15 AM
I'm all for giving Modrak the final say in the draft, if that's what "more influence," even means.. You couldn't possibly be more vague than what you already are saying.