PDA

View Full Version : Who trent reminds me the most of

Mitchell55
12-22-2008, 08:59 PM
Jim Kelly. I know most people wont agree with this but both were known to dink and dunk. Most of Jimbos and Trents passes come to the possession reciever and to the RB. Both also knew how to throw the long ball with touch. Both were true leaders and motivators. Both took bad teams and made them good teams. Both werent afraid to throw the ball while getting nailed.

gr8slayer
12-22-2008, 09:07 PM
Chad Pennington with worse decision making skills.

Nighthawk
12-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Jim Kelly. I know most people wont agree with this but both were known to dink and dunk. Most of Jimbos and Trents passes come to the possession reciever and to the RB. Both also knew how to throw the long ball with touch. Both were true leaders and motivators. Both took bad teams and made them good teams. Both werent afraid to throw the ball while getting nailed.

Not being rude, but you aren't old enough to remember how Kelly played. He didn't dink and dunk...he had an incredible arm and utilized it. Edwards' arm is nowhere near as strong as Kelly's was. I like Edwards, but you can't compare the two.

gr8slayer
12-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Not being rude, but you aren't old enough to remember how Kelly played. He didn't dink and dunk...he had an incredible arm and utilized it. Edwards' arm is nowhere near as strond as Kelly's was. I like Edwards, but you can't compare the two.
Agreed.

Mitchell55
12-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Not being rude, but you aren't old enough to remember how Kelly played. He didn't dink and dunk...he had an incredible arm and utilized it. Edwards' arm is nowhere near as strond as Kelly's was. I like Edwards, but you can't compare the two.

I have old videos of when Jim Kelly used to play. I have about 4-5 vids of him. Also, jim kelly did dink and dunk. He only went deep when he had to. Most of his passes were quick 6-7 yard passes to the TE or RB. Why do you think Thomas and Metzalaars are considered some of the best pass catchers at there positions.

Nighthawk
12-22-2008, 09:15 PM
I have old videos of when Jim Kelly used to play. I have about 4-5 vids of him. Also, jim kelly did dink and dunk. He only went deep when he had to. Most of his passes were quick 6-7 yard passes to the TE or RB. Why do you think Thomas and Metzalaars are considered some of the best pass catchers at there positions.

Stop, please! I lived through those year and never missed a game! Of course he threw short balls, but he was NOT a dink and dunk thrower.

historypete
12-22-2008, 09:16 PM
Can we please stop comparing Edwards to any hall of fame QB. It is only his second season, although he's shown some real good and positive signs he's also shown an ability to struggle when playing 3-4 defenses and there is the injury concern to go along with that. I think he'll be a very good QB for us, but it is a bit of a stretch to start making comparisions like this.

HHURRICANE
12-22-2008, 09:45 PM
I think Edwards is a completely different QB. Who knows he might be better than Kelly at some point. Who knows?

BillsWin
12-22-2008, 09:47 PM
Stop, please! I lived through those year and never missed a game! Of course he threw short balls, but he was NOT a dink and dunk thrower.

Mitchell, I like you but I gotta agree with NH here.

Mitchell55
12-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Mitchell, I like you but I gotta agree with NH here.

I guess I saw different.

BillsWin
12-22-2008, 10:00 PM
I guess I saw different.

Its all good Mitch. his leadership skills remind me of Kelly. but not with the same fire and passion. just in the way his teammates support him and fall behind him...

Mitchell55
12-22-2008, 10:02 PM
Its all good Mitch. his leadership skills remind me of Kelly. but not with the same fire and passion. just in the way his teammates support him and fall behind him...

The thing that you cant argue with also is that Trent is not afraid to throw the ball while getting crushed unlike alot of other QBs. Roesthlisberger, Palmer, Losman, McNabb.....

Nighthawk
12-22-2008, 10:03 PM
The thing that you cant argue with also is that Trent is not afraid to throw the ball while getting crushed unlike alot of other QBs. Roesthlisberger, Palmer, Losman, McNabb.....

Now this, I agree with. He definitely stand in there and takes his lumps.

gr8slayer
12-22-2008, 10:04 PM
WTF are you talking about? Roethlisberger and McNabb are hardly afraid to throw the ball while taking a hit. You need to watch some more football kid.

Mitchell55
12-22-2008, 10:05 PM
Now this, I agree with. He definitely stand in there and takes his lumps.

Thats the thing he has the most in common with Kelly.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-22-2008, 10:08 PM
I have old videos of when Jim Kelly used to play. I have about 4-5 vids of him. Also, jim kelly did dink and dunk. He only went deep when he had to.

Nonsense. totally false

Mitchy moo
12-22-2008, 10:12 PM
He looks like Steve young with a horrible WR core and no TE's to throw to. SY didn't have this I am a island formation to fall back into and not have a safety valve. Yeah, just like on Techmo football, Rice was always open. (Unless you used Jr. Seau just right)

Mitchell55
12-22-2008, 10:16 PM
He looks like Steve young with a horrible WR core and no TE's to throw to. SY didn't have this I am a island formation to fall back into and not have a safety valve. Yeah, just like on Techmo football, Rice was always open. (Unless you used Jr. Seau just right)

Durring the run vs the Chiefs I thought he looked like Young and Elway combined LOL.

SpillerThrills
12-22-2008, 10:24 PM
WTF are you talking about? Roethlisberger and McNabb are hardly afraid to throw the ball while taking a hit. You need to watch some more football kid.

I think you might have misread what he wrote.... he said that Roethlisberger and McNabb will stand in the pocket, take a hit and get the ball off......

OpIv37
12-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Let's get a grip, people.

Right now, Trent Edwards looks more like Rob Johnson than Jim Kelly or Steve Young. Don't get me wrong- Edwards has shown some promise and he COULD turn out to be worthy of those comparisons. But as of right now, he hasn't done ****. A lot of Bills QB's show a lot of promise and turn out to be worthless.

And Mitchell, I really have to question you on this part:

Both took bad teams and made them good teams.

When Kelly was on the Bills, they had Thomas, Reed, House Ballard, Will Wolford, James Lofton, Bruce Smith, Biscuit, Talley- Thomas is already in the HOF and Smith will be in the Hall this August (although Kelly certainly helped).

When Trent was at Stanford, the team was terrible (though that certainly wasn't Trent's fault- he did a great job in a terrible situation).

So, I really don't know where any of that came from.

Mitchell55
12-22-2008, 10:37 PM
I think you might have misread what he wrote.... he said that Roethlisberger and McNabb will stand in the pocket, take a hit and get the ball off......

No I said that right. Scratch mcnabb though. Roethlisberger is defintley afraid to be hit. He runs around desperatley trying to not get hit.

Mitchell55
12-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Let's get a grip, people.

Right now, Trent Edwards looks more like Rob Johnson than Jim Kelly or Steve Young. Don't get me wrong- Edwards has shown some promise and he COULD turn out to be worthy of those comparisons. But as of right now, he hasn't done ****. A lot of Bills QB's show a lot of promise and turn out to be worthless.

And Mitchell, I really have to question you on this part:

When Kelly was on the Bills, they had Thomas, Reed, House Ballard, Will Wolford, James Lofton, Bruce Smith, Biscuit, Talley- Thomas is already in the HOF and Smith will be in the Hall this August (although Kelly certainly helped).

When Trent was at Stanford, the team was terrible (though that certainly wasn't Trent's fault- he did a great job in a terrible situation).

So, I really don't know where any of that came from.

Rob johnson? Hes not that bad. Rob johnson looks like a ***** compared to TE.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-22-2008, 10:40 PM
Rob johnson looks like a ***** compared to punky brewster

MikeInRoch
12-22-2008, 10:46 PM
A ***** with a ring.

Dammit.

PECKERWOOD
12-22-2008, 11:46 PM
Kelly had a cannon, I remember him hitting Reed on the deep ball over the middle quite a bit too. Kelly had a stronger arm than Payton Manning but not as smart. Payton Manning reminds me the most of Jimbo. Trent Edwards reminds me of a Mark Bulger or young Trent Green type of player.

jamze132
12-23-2008, 12:50 AM
Dude, Trent has played all of 1.5 seasons in the NFL. He hasn't established he is a "true leader and motivator". In no way am I saying he won't be, very soon, but he hasn't yet done it. And uh, he never made this Bills team and turned it into a good team. Good teams don't finish .500 or worse.

Stop trying to make yourself feel better about Trent Edwards. He's not the second coming of Jim Kelly. Trent is Trent. Time will tell what type of QB he is, not 1.5 seasons.

Syderick
12-23-2008, 01:23 AM
No I said that right. Scratch mcnabb though. Roethlisberger is defintley afraid to be hit. He runs around desperatley trying to not get hit.

Are you kidding? Big Ben stands in the pocket and takes hits all the time, he's hard to bring down. Hell he holds on the ball too long sometimes. As for Trent Edwards he's seems to be adjusting to NFL and does a decent job. There's a good chance he'll improve and be a good quarterback. :rockon:

zone
12-23-2008, 07:29 AM
Yea, this whole thread is spam, not one point you made is true.

Kelly was a dink and dunk passer and Big Ben is afraid to get hit?

Come on...

acehole
12-23-2008, 07:34 AM

haahhah

Grace kelly sure.

Jan Reimers
12-23-2008, 07:35 AM
Kelly was a gambler who played with swagger. I don't see that in Edwards, yet.

THATHURMANATOR
12-23-2008, 07:56 AM
You must never have seen Jimbo play. He was as opposite from Dink and Dunk as it gets. He was a gun slinger with a cannon arm.

THATHURMANATOR
12-23-2008, 07:57 AM
Are you kidding? Big Ben stands in the pocket and takes hits all the time, he's hard to bring down. Hell he holds on the ball too long sometimes. As for Trent Edwards he's seems to be adjusting to NFL and does a decent job. There's a good chance he'll improve and be a good quarterback. :rockon:
Seriously. I hate the Stillers but there is no denying that Big Ben is a tough customer.

billsfanone
12-23-2008, 08:03 AM
Trent reminds me more of QB#12 in the original Madden.

zone
Seriously. I hate the Stillers but there is no denying that Big Ben is a tough customer.
Exactly, the guy headbutted a car and is still tough as nails.

THATHURMANATOR
Trent reminds me more of QB#12 in the original Madden.
Or QB 0 on Tecmo Super Bowl.

RockStar36
12-23-2008, 08:06 AM

They only allow so much time during recess.

RockStar36
12-23-2008, 08:08 AM

Big Ben might be tough, but he's really not as good as advertised. He's benefited from the situation a lot. I've seen plenty of "big" games for the Steelers and he still makes quite a few mistakes that someone of his caliber probably shouldn't be making.

gr8slayer
12-23-2008, 08:24 AM
Big Ben might be tough, but he's really not as good as advertised. He's benefited from the situation a lot. I've seen plenty of "big" games for the Steelers and he still makes quite a few mistakes that someone of his caliber probably shouldn't be making.
He's another one of those guys that just wins though, in fact he's the best in history at doing it to this point in his career.

THATHURMANATOR
12-23-2008, 08:29 AM
He's another one of those guys that just wins though, in fact he's the best in history at doing it to this point in his career.
Yep...

I wanted the Bills to get him SOO BAD that year too. I was PISSED when they moved up to get JP.

patmoran2006
12-23-2008, 09:03 AM
LOL they couldnt possibly be more opposite, ON and OFF the field..
Seriously.

justasportsfan
12-23-2008, 09:23 AM
So we should add to the list Jimbo aside from Brady and MOntana . Next up , Marino.

RockStar36
12-23-2008, 09:27 AM
Yep...

I wanted the Bills to get him SOO BAD that year too. I was PISSED when they moved up to get JP.

They moved up for JP because Ben was gone. He went like 2 picks before Buffalo took Evans. I think Ben would've gone to Buffalo if the Steelers hadn't taken him first.

TacklingDummy
12-23-2008, 09:28 AM
So we should add to the list Jimbo aside from Brady and MOntana . Next up , Marino.

Everyone in this thread is telling the person who compared the 2 is wrong on his comparison.

Nice try though. :up:

JP still has a few more years to turn into Steve Young.

RockStar36
12-23-2008, 09:28 AM

I can't technically argue that point but he has benefited from a great running game and defense backing him up. When the game is firmly in his hands he has this knack for turning the ball over or making some bad throws. I've seen it a lot of times.

TacklingDummy
12-23-2008, 09:30 AM
They moved up for JP because Ben was gone. He went like 2 picks before Buffalo took Evans. I think Ben would've gone to Buffalo if the Steelers hadn't taken him first.

And in 2006 we get screwed out of Patrick Willis by 1 pick.

justasportsfan
12-23-2008, 09:31 AM
I wanted Ben in the first rd. and Jake Grove in the 2nd.

TheBrownBear
12-23-2008, 12:06 PM
I love Kelly, but he did not have a cannon for an arm. He had a slightly above-average arm, a slow throwing motion, and absolutely no wheels. What made Kelly so great was his toughness, leadership ability, his gunslinger/risktaker mentality, and his supporting cast. As a pure "thrower" of the football, he was never in the same class as Marino, Elway, Moon, or Favre...but then again, neither was Montana or Brady.

But still, the comparison between Kelly and Edwards is borderline laughable. They look and act completely different on the field. Edwards looks more like a young Kurt Warner with better wheels and a worse supporting cast. Just something about the way they drop back and deliver the ball...they look similar to me. I just hope that Trent can some day get to Warner's level.

justasportsfan
12-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Everyone in this thread is telling the person who compared the 2 is wrong on his comparison.. I wasn't talking about them.

Nice try though. :up: .

JP still has a few more years to turn into Steve Young.I wasn't talking about JP either .

Nice try though. :up: .

ddaryl
12-23-2008, 12:30 PM

no doubt about it. Jimbo new how and when to stretch the field.. The man called his own plays... somethign Edwards will never do more then likely besides the occasional change at the line of scrimage. Kelly also seasoned himself with the run and shoot in the USFL

Edwards has some intangibles and will develope.. but at this point the comparisons to kelly are small

casdhf
12-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Jake Plummer.

gr8slayer
12-23-2008, 02:09 PM
Jake Plummer.
That's a tough one, Plummer was a great athlete who used his feet a lot.

Kenny
12-23-2008, 02:45 PM
I still think it's Pennington, but with a little bit of a stronger arm, and a lot less football smarts.

In time, he might turn into a Bulger-type QB.

The Jokeman
12-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Not being rude, but you aren't old enough to remember how Kelly played. He didn't dink and dunk...he had an incredible arm and utilized it. Edwards' arm is nowhere near as strong as Kelly's was. I like Edwards, but you can't compare the two.
Exactly. if any current QB compares to Kelly it's Favre. I also like Jake Delhomme to Kelly a bit too but he doesn't have the arm strength. In terms of Edwards he sort of reminds me of Rich Gannon.

Syderick
12-23-2008, 07:50 PM
Trent Edwards reminds me of that quarterback Trent Edwards.