PDA

View Full Version : Backup QB

Mr. Miyagi
12-23-2008, 12:36 PM
Here's the list of FA QBs next year.

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?y=2009

Edwards is clearly the starter. With JP gone, I want a veteran QB who could win a game or two for us.

Warner, Cassel, and Collins are obviously starters and won't come.

Please God no David Carr or Rex Grossman.

Charlie Batch or Chris Simms would be a decent fit.

justasportsfan
12-23-2008, 12:37 PM

Edwards is clearly the starter. With JP gone, I want a veteran QB who could win a game or two for us.

Back up? We don't even have a proven starter yet. I'd bring in someone who'll could compete for the starting job.

RockStar36
12-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Charlie Batch is the best choice for a back-up since he is used to that role and has proven that he can step in when needed.

Mr. Miyagi
12-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Back up? We don't even have a proven starter yet. I'd bring in someone who'll could compete for the starting job.
Trent is our guy. No more half hearted competition to keep everyone on their toes. We have all seen what happens to Trent when he's low on confidence.

Some people thrive on competition to prove themselves, some people need reassurance. Trent is the latter.

ddaryl
12-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Warner is up there in age I see a lot of teams in need of starter passing on Kurt because he probably has 1- 2 years left tops, maybe longer as a backup mentor

Collins is alo in the twilight years of his career, and might not attract many starting jobs

What about Leftwich ?

here is a list of FA QB's on KFFL

Mr. Miyagi
12-23-2008, 12:43 PM
Warner is up there in age I see a lot of teams in need of starter passing on Kurt because he probably has 1- 2 years left tops, maybe longer as a backup mentor

Collins is alo in the twilight years of his career, and might not attract many starting jobs

What about Leftwich ? Eeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww on Leftwich.

I think Warner and Collins get resigned by their current teams. They played too well to get let go.

trapezeus
12-23-2008, 12:50 PM
warner is bad at handling poor weather. He's a fumbler, and his record in bad weather is atrocious. He ran an efficient offense in a domed STL. He had difficulties in NYC, and is back on his game in Arizona, but struggled on the east coast. I don't like him for the Bills.

I also think Miyagi is right with Trent being pushed on by reassurance as opposed to competition.

I also think Trent is going to have learned greatly from the 3-4 from being exposed to it. i think next year he will take that step.

justasportsfan
12-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Trent is our guy. No more half hearted competition to keep everyone on their toes. We have all seen what happens to Trent when he's low on confidence.

Some people thrive on competition to prove themselves, some people need reassurance. Trent is the latter.
I guess we'll have to see what the new coach thinks.

PECKERWOOD
12-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Charlie Frye and J.T. O' Sullivan would be my top two choices.. Chris Simms gets the honorable mention.

DraftBoy
12-23-2008, 12:54 PM
Simms has been available all year if we really wanted him. Id take a O'Sullivan though.

Sign a vet and draft a raw prospect.

Mitchell55
12-23-2008, 12:57 PM
I guess we'll have to see what the new coach thinks.

Trent almost made the probowl this year if he would of stayed healthy.

Mr. Miyagi
12-23-2008, 01:00 PM
Charlie Frye and J.T. O' Sullivan would be my top two choices.. Chris Simms gets the honorable mention.
I have no confidence in Frye or O'Sullivan winning a single game for us.

DraftBoy
12-23-2008, 01:01 PM
I have no confidence in Frye or O'Sullivan winning a single game for us.

But you do in Simms a guy who has been available to every team and wasn't picked up until somebody got desperate??

justasportsfan
12-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Trent almost made the probowl this year if he would of stayed healthy.
yeah right .

Mr. Miyagi
12-23-2008, 01:03 PM
But you do in Simms a guy who has been available to every team and wasn't picked up until somebody got desperate??
I've seen Simms win games. I've only seen Frye and O'Sullivan looking real bad.

DraftBoy
12-23-2008, 01:09 PM
I've seen Simms win games. I've only seen Frye and O'Sullivan looking real bad.

Here you tell me which one of the following QB's you want;
A-366-590, 62%, 16 TD, 25 INT
B-291-492, 59.1%, 12 TD, 17 INT
C-141-246, 57.3%, 9 TD, 13 INT

No names, tell me which QB you want. No cheating either.

Mr. Miyagi
12-23-2008, 01:12 PM
Why do you have to make everything into an argument?

So I don't like Frye or O'Sullivan. I can only go by what I have seen. Maybe I think they look like douchebags. I'm entitled to dislike them. So bite me.

Dr. Lecter
12-23-2008, 01:13 PM
Call me crazy, but Ryan Fitzpatrick is OK for a back-up.

At least on that list.

zone
12-23-2008, 01:13 PM
Warner, Batch, and Garcia are the only names on that list that interest me. Garcia will probably be starting somewhere, and Warner may get another year as a starter as well.

Collins can manage a game and get a win as well.

Typ0
12-23-2008, 01:14 PM
I am very optimistic about TE abilities and that he will become a good QB given that he can remain healthy. I can't, however, buy into this give him the job mentality. We need solid production from the QB for a change and just giving TE the job isn't going to guarantee that because we haven't even seen him be solid consistently. Also, we aren't going to get a good veteran QB without offering him the opportunity to win that position. So we are going to go out and get the absolute best guy we can and then he's going to compete for the job with TE and the guy that is best in camp is the guy we will start. It shouldn't be done another way. If TE has to sit for a year then so be it and he should have a good attitude about it and work hard and get himself to the next level to win the job the next season. We don't have these wait around and see types of choices here folks until we get a guy that proves his success here.

Jeff1220
12-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Any of those guys would be an upgrade to the back-up situation this year.

Forward_Lateral
12-23-2008, 01:15 PM
:rofl: @ Draftboy wanting O'Sullivan. Dude, you are way off on this one. Did you watch many 49ers games when he was QB (I won't blame you if you say no, who the hell watches the niners besides Niners fans?). He looked OK at the start of the season, but if you think JP's decision making is bad, O'Sullivan's rivals it. He's one of the dumbest, most turnover prone QB in the league. I don't know where to look it up, but I can almost guarantee he led the league in Red Zone turnovers.

Mr. Miyagi
12-23-2008, 01:16 PM
I am very optimistic about TE abilities and that he will become a good QB given that he can remain healthy. I can't, however, buy into this give him the job mentality. We need solid production from the QB for a change and just giving TE the job isn't going to guarantee that because we haven't even seen him be solid consistently. Also, we aren't going to get a good veteran QB without offering him the opportunity to win that position. So we are going to go out and get the absolute best guy we can and then he's going to compete for the job with TE and the guy that is best in camp is the guy we will start. It shouldn't be done another way. If TE has to sit for a year then so be it and he should have a good attitude about it and work hard and get himself to the next level to win the job the next season. We don't have these wait around and see types of choices here folks until we get a guy that proves his success here.
Collins went to Tennessee thinking that he would be solely a backup behind Vince Young.

There are a lot of veteran QBs perfectly happy with being a backup on a team with a young starter.

PECKERWOOD
12-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Here is a list of FA's for next year that I would bring in for a look:

Quarterbacks: Charlie Frye, J.T. O' Sullivan and Chris Simms as previously mentioned before.

Wide recievers: Antonio Bryant, Michael Clayton, Jabar Gaffney, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Darrell Jackson, Brandon Jones, Koren Robinson, Amani Toomer and Reggie Williams. ( Holy ****, alot of good WR FA's next year. )

Tight ends: Desmond Clark, Daniel Wilcox and Jeff King*.

Offensive line: Kirk Chambers, Eric Heitman, Chris Gray and Mike Goff.

Defensive line: Bertrand Berry, Tommie Harris, Tank Johnson, Julius Peppers and Paul Spicer.

Linebackers: Eric Barton, Channing Crowder, Angelo Crowell, Andra Davis, Keith Ellison, Mike Peterson, Bart Scott, Karlos Dansby and Jonathan Vilma.

DB's: Nnmandi Asomugha, Mike Brown, Brian Dawkins, Cortland Finnegan*, Chris Gamble, Jabari Greer, Dawan Landry*, Kerry Rhodes and Dunta Robinson. ( Pretty nice pool of DB's to select from as well. )

*= Player is a RFA.

Mr. Miyagi
12-23-2008, 01:18 PM
:rofl: @ Draftboy wanting O'Sullivan. Dude, you are way off on this one. Did you watch many 49ers games when he was QB (I won't blame you if you say no, who the hell watches the niners besides Niners fans?). He looked OK at the start of the season, but if you think JP's decision making is bad, O'Sullivan's rivals it. He's one of the dumbest, most turnover prone QB in the league. I don't know where to look it up, but I can almost guarantee he led the league in Red Zone turnovers.
They don't call him JT uh-oh Sullilvan in SF for no reason.

Forward_Lateral
12-23-2008, 01:19 PM
Is Shaun Hill a FA after the season? I'd take him as a backup in a heartbeat.

DraftBoy
12-23-2008, 01:20 PM

As a backup who may not even see a game, Im not too worried about his redzone prowess. He can make all the throws, has worked in a quick hitting system, and isnt going to command a ton of money. IF he can get his fumble issues under control (given San Fran's line is about as good as swiss cheese) then he cuts his turnovers way down. Thats a big IF though, I understand that. Lets keep in mind we'd be bringing him into a team with arguably more talent then the only two teams he's played for so far (SF and DET).

Dr. Lecter
12-23-2008, 01:20 PM
Is Shaun Hill a FA after the season? I'd take him as a backup in a heartbeat.

San Fran signed him for 2 or 3 years last offseason, so the answer is no.

Forward_Lateral
12-23-2008, 01:27 PM
As a backup who may not even see a game, Im not too worried about his redzone prowess. He can make all the throws, has worked in a quick hitting system, and isnt going to command a ton of money. IF he can get his fumble issues under control (given San Fran's line is about as good as swiss cheese) then he cuts his turnovers way down. Thats a big IF though, I understand that. Lets keep in mind we'd be bringing him into a team with arguably more talent then the only two teams he's played for so far (SF and DET).

IF Martz couldn't turn him into anything, you can bet that AVP and company won't be able to. I'd rather have a backup who may not be able to make "all the throws", but can take care of the ball, and won't do stupid things at the end of close games to cost his team a win, or even a chance at a win.

DraftBoy
12-23-2008, 01:29 PM
IF Martz couldn't turn him into anything, you can bet that AVP and company won't be able to. I'd rather have a backup who may not be able to make "all the throws", but can take care of the ball, and won't do stupid things at the end of close games to cost his team a win, or even a chance at a win.

Do you have a name, and Martz system isn't some magical system that is easy to pick up either. You act like Joe Blow on the corner would be a Pro Bowler from it. Im not saying Sullivan is a future star, or even really all that good. Im just saying given our other options, Id take him.

Mr. Miyagi
12-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Do you have a name, and Martz system isn't some magical system that is easy to pick up either. You act like Joe Blow on the corner would be a Pro Bowler from it. Im not saying Sullivan is a future star, or even really all that good. Im just saying given our other options, Id take him.
Like I said, Chris Simms.

I don't know any of their stats, but from what I have seen of Simms, he's got poise and makes good decisions. O'Sullivan is a flake.

justasportsfan
12-23-2008, 01:37 PM
As a backup who may not even see a game,

He won't be backing up Brett here in buffalo. He'll be backing up Trent so most likely he will see a game or 2.

DraftBoy
12-23-2008, 02:02 PM

I don't know any of their stats, but from what I have seen of Simms, he's got poise and makes good decisions. O'Sullivan is a flake.

Pick a QB from A, B, or C and then lets see if your tune is the same. Simms stats are posted along with two other QB's. Pick which one you'd prefer. A lot of people buy into the kid because of his name.

DraftBoy
12-23-2008, 02:03 PM
He won't be backing up Brett here in buffalo. He'll be backing up Trent so most likely he will see a game or 2.

That doesnt really tell me anything, if I had my way Id pick a rookie QB too, maybe a rawer guy like Willie Tuitama from Arizona and if he's ready to take a shot say in week 10 or 11, then give him a game or two over a O'Sullivan.

justasportsfan
12-23-2008, 02:15 PM
That doesnt really tell me anything, if I had my way Id pick a rookie QB too, maybe a rawer guy like Willie Tuitama from Arizona and if he's ready to take a shot say in week 10 or 11, then give him a game or two over a O'Sullivan.
Trents inury history doesn't tell you anything? It tells me that whoever is gonna back him up will see the field at some point. Especially now that he's had one bad consucsssion. Another one and we can call him Trent Green.

madness
12-23-2008, 02:32 PM
Someone's spiteful.

gr8slayer
12-23-2008, 02:33 PM
As long as it's not Brad Johnson you're good.

Dr. Lecter
12-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Fitzpatrick is as good as all of the others?

DraftBoy
12-23-2008, 02:35 PM

Nope

gr8slayer
12-23-2008, 02:37 PM
Negative.

Dr. Lecter
12-23-2008, 02:39 PM
And I would guess he would be cheaper and is smarter. Very good to help out Trent.

I have decided he should be the Bills target for QB.

gr8slayer
12-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Orlovsky would also be a good pickup.

gr8slayer
12-23-2008, 02:42 PM
I think J.T. O'Sullivan is the best on the list though. He would definitely push Edwards for the job going forward.

RockStar36
12-23-2008, 02:45 PM

When is the last time Simms even saw the field?

I can't imagine him being any good to a team at this point. If he has been sitting at home all season waiting for a job, that should tell you quite a bit about the guy.

gr8slayer
12-23-2008, 02:46 PM

I can't imagine him being any good to a team at this point. If he has been sitting at home all season waiting for a job, that should tell you quite a bit about the guy.
Simms is done. He's currently a Tennesse Titan, well he was but they are talking about re-signing him.

justasportsfan
12-23-2008, 02:47 PM

with his ruptured spleen we may get a discount.

The Jokeman
12-23-2008, 06:11 PM
Orlovsky would also be a good pickup.
He'd be the top of my list unless of course a veteran is cut such as Luke McCown or even Orlovsky's teammate Jon Kitna. I'm still slightly surprised we didn't take the chance to bring in a guy like Chris Weinke last off season.

TacklingDummy
12-24-2008, 06:34 AM

How about JP Losman?

He knows the system, he knows the players, loves the city of Buffalo, will come cheap, and he knows with Trents injury history that he will get a couple starts per year.

zone
12-24-2008, 07:00 AM
To bad we couldn't get Plummer away from professional handball.