PDA

View Full Version : Time for Edwards to Answer a 3-4 Defense

ghz in pittsburgh
12-23-2008, 06:55 PM
It's funny about a QB's stigma.

When you say Brett Favre, I used to think "comeback," now I just think "interception." No lie, when I watch him play, I just wait to see when he'll throw one up.

When you say Peyton Manning, I think of the most pain he can inflict on a defense (on every play).

When you say Tom Brady, I think of first downs.

When you say JP Losman, I used to think of bombs, sacks, and INTs; now I only think of sacks and INTs.

When you say Trent Edwards, I think he can't beat a 3-4 defense.

This weekend, he gets another chance, a final exam of the season of sorts. Belichick is the best in this business and he's going to bring it full force. I'm not expecting an A from Trent, but I want to see if he manage a pass.

Patti120
12-23-2008, 08:54 PM
We can always hope! Right now its unfortunately a pipe dream until TE can show us otherwise. Nothing would make me happier than to see the Bills beat the Pats and keep them out of the playoffs! (I live in RI so nothing would make me happier). BB has Dick by his balls though so I'm not going to hold my breath. I am hopefully optimistic but the realist in me says no way.

Lets hope I'm wrong!

Kenny
12-23-2008, 08:58 PM
When you say Trent Edwards, I think he can't beat a 3-4 defense.

He did beat the Chargers... but yeah I agree.

Though, to me it's bad weather first, and then the 3-4.

Fortunately for us, we'll probably get to see Trent play both of them on Sunday.

yordad
12-23-2008, 09:38 PM
"......a final exam of the season of sorts."

IMO, this is a big game for TE. Huge. The last impression he can make before off-season. Against a 3-4, when he has looked very bad thus far against it.

Against the Patriots.

Man! I don't know if there is a single game he can play that can have me feeling comfortable about the QB situation, but if there was, this is it. And, I don't think looking manageable in a sloppy Bills win will do it.

Weather the Bills win or lose, I would really, really like to see TE light it up. And, for icing on the cake, it would be nice if he did it throwing a bomb to Steve Johnson and maybe a redzone TD or two.

Bling
12-23-2008, 09:46 PM
When I think of Peyton Manning, I think of first how he is the OLine coach. Then I think of how he is always running funny ready to move to avoid pressure. Then I think of his fundamentally sound throwing motion.

When I think of Tom Brady, I think of bomb after bomb after bomb. Then I think of his dink and dunk and drag routes.

When I think of Losman, I think of a doofus that I always knew was a bust and the Bills fans never listened.

yordad
12-23-2008, 10:11 PM
Trent has a 73.25 passer rating vs the 3-4. He has a 96.37 vs everything else.

streetkings01
12-23-2008, 10:32 PM

IMO, this is a big game for TE. Huge. The last impression he can make before off-season. Against a 3-4, when he has looked very bad thus far against it.

Against the Patriots.

Man! I don't know if there is a single game he can play that can have me feeling comfortable about the QB situation, but if there was, this is it. And, I don't think looking manageable in a sloppy Bills win will do it.

Weather the Bills win or lose, I would really, really like to see TE light it up. And, for icing on the cake, it would be nice if he did it throwing a bomb to Steve Johnson and a red zone TD to Hardy.I'm 100% sure that wont happen!

jamze132
12-24-2008, 07:04 AM

Against the Patriots.

Weather the Bills win or lose, I would really, really like to see TE light it up. And, for icing on the cake, it would be nice if he did it throwing a bomb to Steve Johnson and a red zone TD to Hardy.
Good luck on the redzone TD to Hardy, unless Trent can throw the ball through the TV camera into Hardy's lap.

ddaryl
12-24-2008, 07:11 AM
A decent gameplan against the 3-4 might help too.

zone
12-24-2008, 07:13 AM
This will be a big test to see if he can learn and grow from previous mistakes vs. the 3-4. The only problem is, Bellicheat will probably never show you the same thing twice.

I doubt this staff will have him prepared for what he will face on Sunday, hopefully he can make game adjustments to overcome it.

ddaryl
12-24-2008, 08:10 AM
I doubt this staff will have him prepared for what he will face on Sunday, hopefully he can make game adjustments to overcome it.

and this is the real problem... It's coaching and game planning that needs to improve... How do the coaches prepare Trent, or the entire offense for that matter, to face the 3-4 since the Bills run a 4-3....

If your gameplan blows and the preperation by the coaches blows then its safe to say ....

TedMock
12-24-2008, 08:23 AM
This is a must win game for NE. I hope we beat them, but realistically, I don't see Duke Preston and/or Melvin Fowler stopping the middle of the 3-4 long enough for the QB's or the RB's to do much. Wilfork, Seymour and Warren will shift around and all three are stronger than our centers. Having said that, I will not feel one ounce better knowing this if the game is a disaster. I will be rooting as hard as I do every week. If Trent does put up a nice game it will be because other players have done their jobs as well. I really like Trent and I think he is going to be a good QB in this league. I also think he is capable of and will make plays when things in front of him break down, but there is no QB in the league who can consistantly make plays against a team like NE when there isn't a little help from his friends. This could be a huge statement game for Trent. Hopefully he will make some plays when things get ugly. I think it is also a huge statement game for the o-line. They have played better as of late, but this front 3 and these conditions will no doubt be the biggest challenge for them.

yordad
12-24-2008, 08:25 AM
Good luck on the redzone TD to Hardy, unless Trent can throw the ball through the TV camera into Hardy's lap.LOL, oh yeah. I forgot.

yordad
12-24-2008, 08:26 AM
A decent gameplan against the 3-4 might help too.His numbers are pretty similar. The biggest difference is the TDs and Ints. I don't think a better game plan can lower his Ints.

ddaryl
12-24-2008, 08:43 AM
His numbers are pretty similar. The biggest difference is the TDs and Ints. I don't think a better game plan can lower his Ints.

sure it can.. Having WR's TE's etc... better prepared to find the seams would help. They don't get any real exposure to the having to play agains 4 LB's

The entire team is out of synch with the 3-4 because they aren't preparing for it properly during the week. Which could mean Trent is forcing plays that aren't there because he is ill prepared.

How is our running game against the 3-4 ?? I would love to see all the stats of us (individual games) against 4-3 and 3-4 teams. This is more then just a Trent issue, and this thread puts the blame on Trent alone

mybills
12-24-2008, 09:56 AM
When you say Tom Brady, I think of queers and invetrofertilization.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-24-2008, 10:58 AM
Traditionally a 3-4 is more of a run stopping defense as you have less people up front to pressure the QB from the shortest distance. Some will say they have one more LB in coverage, which is true. But if you ask any QB to have more time in the pocket or to face more defenders in coverage, 100% of them will say more time.

Unfortunately for the Bills as I have seen in the past, the 3 rushing D-Linemen made Edwards move in the pocket too often and only Reed seemed to be able to read the coverage on par with the QB in terms of getting into the seams.

Of course the 3-4 defense can also get complicated in LB actions in terms of who's coming and who's not. That I point the fingers to Edwards - maybe not experienced enough to understand what teams like to disguise. I'm not going to blame the coaches simply because I just don't know what they did or didn't do.

It'll be interesting to see what Edwards does this Sunday. I get that feeling that as a competitor who he is, it must be eating him alive inside not being able to figure out better against all these 3-4 defenses in the past.

I also hope the Jauron and Co. give Stevie Johnson a serious shot in this game. Roscoe is good in space, but I doubt he'll have much space here in 3 wide set. To me, Johnson has maybe the best ability to get open for under 10 yard distance among our receivers, and the kid can block well for a rookie. It does not take much to open up the whole thing if we have one bright spot in offense.