• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shelby
    The Vanilla *****
    • Jul 2002

"A Case for Dick Jauron"

That Dick Jauron has a contract extension to coach the Buffalo Bills for the next three years has been reported as fact in several media outlets. Jauron has never taken the time to deny it while the team has never confirmed it.
    As a result, we're back where we've been all too frequently the last ten years. Debating the firing of the football coach, trying to believe it will automatically make things better.
    Despite winning at Denver, Jauron hasn't had a great year and he'd be the first to tell you. That pass call late in the Jets game that JP Losman fumbled away and Jauron owned up to calling, conflicts in philosophy with his unwillingness to improve field position for kicker Rian Lindell, when he missed the game winning kick against Cleveland.

Those were the most glaring errors in the play call department that we are all so good at second guessing.
    As much as it is a slave to turnovers and takeaways, the NFL has always been and will always be a quarterback league. You rise or fall on the play of the guy taking the snaps. When Buffalo got the quarterbacking, it won its games. When it didn't, it didn't.
    Trent Edwards was great early, leading the Bills to four come from behind wins in the first six games. But he played just one effective game after the concussion in week five early at Arizona.
    There are serious concerns here. Edwards slipped badly after leading the team to a 5-1 start. Maybe the defenses adjusted. Maybe the concussion has lasting effects. Maybe he just isn't as good as we thought he was. Whatever it is; whoever he is and is going to be, we need to find out.

Jauron has Edwards respect. Edwards has Jauron's backing. This coaching staff is in the best position to right what's wrong with this kid and determine how good he's going to be. And as the Bills head into another playoffless offseason, that has to be their first concern.
    more....

• Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: "A Case for Dick Jauron"

Actually, the NFL will now and forever be a COACHES league, with the salary cap & free agency meaning roster turnover is 30-35 % every year.

The front office has NEVER been more important, which Ralph refuses to believe with his cut rate hires.

The Bills do have talent but continue to try & jam the square peg into the round hole.

Ralph doesn't need to overpay Kelsay, Dockery, Schobel etc. He NEEDS to overpay Cowher or another dynamic personality to define the entire organization. His return on that investment would be far more likely to succeed. He has to quit bringing up the TD era. It's a weak excuse that no longer carries weight. Proof is in the win column.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• jamze132
      Don’t hate…
      • Jun 2003

So maybe we give Dickface one more year to right the ship and if he can't, there is a guy named Mike Holmgren who is taking a year off and might want to coach again... just saying...

We might as well come to the realization that Dick is going to be here. I have a hard time believing that the FO is going to start all over, again, right now. And if Ralphie is waiting until the outcome of the NE game to make a decision on Dick's future, he's an idiot. We never beat the Patriots so you can more than likely chalk up another 7-9 season for Dick. Threepeat!

Comment

• Typ0
        honey pie
        • Jul 2002

writer is right on. DJ has been working with a proven looser and a young kid here at QB and when the play was there so were the wins. He deserves another year instead of sinking this ship for drastic change at this point...but I've been writing this for months too.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
          • Jul 2002

Typo I just DO NOT SEE IT. I could be with you if he consistantly made solid decisions in game but he DOES NOT. He is horrible and clock management, half time adjustments, Challanges etc. I will be sick to my stomach if he sticks around.

Comment

• Typ0
            honey pie
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train
            Actually, the NFL will now and forever be a COACHES league, with the salary cap & free agency meaning roster turnover is 30-35 % every year.

The front office has NEVER been more important, which Ralph refuses to believe with his cut rate hires.

The Bills do have talent but continue to try & jam the square peg into the round hole.

Ralph doesn't need to overpay Kelsay, Dockery, Schobel etc. He NEEDS to overpay Cowher or another dynamic personality to define the entire organization. His return on that investment would be far more likely to succeed. He has to quit bringing up the TD era. It's a weak excuse that no longer carries weight. Proof is in the win column.
            name me one team that got bad QB play and has a winning record? you can't. it's a qb league. Teams don't get a chance to win if the qb plays poorly. NE is getting just average QB play this year and they are on the bubble. Miami is getting good QB play and they are from one win to the verge of the playoffs. Yes, coaching and the whole team is important...but the team still goes to way of the QB. It's time the $$$ were spent on getting a pass rush from the ends and better linebackers along with a good center and defensive tackle and some good depth on both lines. Do those things and get good QB play and we are in the playoffs we don't need a Cowher for that. Your hate for DJ has clouded your judgement this staff is better than you think and so is this team. With a good offseason we are ready to compete with a Brady led NE.

Comment

• Typ0
              honey pie
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
              Typo I just DO NOT SEE IT. I could be with you if he consistantly made solid decisions in game but he DOES NOT. He is horrible and clock management, half time adjustments, Challanges etc. I will be sick to my stomach if he sticks around.
              sorry, I just don't agree but I see where you get that opinion. There have been mistakes yes but everyone makes mistakes and so does every hall of fame coach. This team is very young and the offense is complicated...if there is a mistake you have to point to the players being asked to do too much. But if you ask them to do too much you are asking them to grow as well and as time goes on they will grow into it and be much better for it. I also have seen challenges that I thought were good but were not overturned because the refs are idiots. I wish he was better in that area but luck just has not been on their side and every team needs some luck.

Comment

• ddaryl
                Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                • Jan 2005

I've seen enough bumbling calls, clock management, gametime decisions, and the complete lack of using players on the roster

Even if Jauron gets us to the playoffs he is going to screw it up quickly and I would much rather bring in a new coach.

I seriously do not believe we have tear it all down just because we have a new coach...

and looking at Miami, they had a pretty nice 1 year turn around... One that makes me jealous

There is 0 reasons for keeping Jauron... He does not deserve another year, he has blundered his way through 3 half ass seasons and made many bad calls in that time.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

But Jauron has brought dignity and respect back to the organization, the likes we haven't seen since Marv Levy, the man who hired him. His players by all accounts, believe in Jauron and stand by him. He gives the football team some continuity.
                  What dignity and respect? The dignity and respect that comes with losing seasons? With squandering a 5-1 record to end up at best 8-8, more likely 7-9? The dignity and respect that comes with scoring a mere 6 TOTAL points in back to back home games? The dignity and respect that comes with being 0-5 (most likely 0-6) in the division? The dignity and respect that comes with wasting time outs and challenges in almost every single game, sometimes multiple times in the same game? The dignity and respect that come with an all-time choke job loss to Dallas and getting completely blown out by NE, both on national TV? Seriously, this guy needs to elaborate because I have no idea what dignity and respect he's talking about. In fact, I think the selection of Jauron and Jauron's subsequent performance in Buffalo just prove how much of a joke this organization really is. As fans, we have to come to terms with the fact that we're East Cincinnati on the verge of becoming East Detroit.

As far as the second part- continuity and players believing him- well, those are nice things to have but they don't win football games. The goal is victories, not providing the players with a new best friend.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Typ0
                    honey pie
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
                    What dignity and respect? The dignity and respect that comes with losing seasons? With squandering a 5-1 record to end up at best 8-8, more likely 7-9? The dignity and respect that comes with scoring a mere 6 TOTAL points in back to back home games? The dignity and respect that comes with being 0-5 (most likely 0-6) in the division? The dignity and respect that comes with wasting time outs and challenges in almost every single game, sometimes multiple times in the same game? The dignity and respect that come with an all-time choke job loss to Dallas and getting completely blown out by NE, both on national TV? Seriously, this guy needs to elaborate because I have no idea what dignity and respect he's talking about. In fact, I think the selection of Jauron and Jauron's subsequent performance in Buffalo just prove how much of a joke this organization really is. As fans, we have to come to terms with the fact that we're East Cincinnati on the verge of becoming East Detroit.

As far as the second part- continuity and players believing him- well, those are nice things to have but they don't win football games. The goal is victories, not providing the players with a new best friend.
                    dignity and respect is the maintenance of a winning attitude and culture despite hard times. Having a winning attitude does not necessarily mean you have a winning record there is a difference but it will translate into a winning record when things fall together.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Typ0
                      dignity and respect is the maintenance of a winning attitude and culture despite hard times. Having a winning attitude does not necessarily mean you have a winning record there is a difference but it will translate into a winning record when things fall together.
                      When will things fall together? How many more years is that going to take? In 8 full seasons as a head coach, Jauron has ONE winning season (I'm even giving him the benefit of the doubt and not counting that limbo partial-year in Detroit against him). This isn't little league baseball. You don't get ice cream after the games for having a good attitude, and the losers don't get trophies.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• madness
                        • Apr 2003

The words 'dignity' and 'respect' have nothing to do about winning or losing or how you manage a football game. Fans who try to tear down a man beyond his own known faults no matter how obvious they are or wish a person/owner to die just so a football team can get better probably lack either or both.

Comment

• Typ0
                          honey pie
                          • Jul 2002

When will things fall together? How many more years is that going to take? In 8 full seasons as a head coach, Jauron has ONE winning season (I'm even giving him the benefit of the doubt and not counting that limbo partial-year in Detroit against him). This isn't little league baseball. You don't get ice cream after the games for having a good attitude, and the losers don't get trophies.
                          things will fall together when they get consistent good play from the QB. I know I'm in the minority but I like the offense and see it failing when the QB stinks up the place and succeeding when the QB plays well. When JP plays the offense stinks all the time. When TE plays it stinks when we play better teams because he's not ready to execute it the way it's designed yet. He gets away with the lack of knowledge against weaker defenses but it doesn't wash against better ones.

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by madness
                            The words 'dignity' and 'respect' have nothing to do about winning or losing or how you manage a football game. Fans who try to tear down a man beyond his own known faults no matter how obvious they are or wish a person/owner to die just so a football team can get better probably lack either or both.
                            You're simply wrong. The goal for a football team is to win football games. It's impossible for a football team to have dignity or win the respect of others when they constantly embarrass themselves on the football field. 10 straight losses to NE (a good portion of them blowouts) is embarrassing. Scoring 3 points in consecutive "home" games is embarrassing. Losing to Cleveland on national TV due to a barrage of turnovers is embarrassing. Choking against Dallas on national TV is embarrassing. Going 0-5 (likely 0-6) in the division is embarrassing. Beating only two teams with winning records in two whole seasons is embarrassing... need I continue?

Yes, maybe they have "dignity and respect" in their personal conduct on and off the field, but Jauron's position is "Head Coach", not "Scoutmaster." He's supposed to win football games, not create a bunch of model citizens. The fundamental purpose of this organization is to play football, and there is no way this team could possibly have dignity and respect for their performance during Jauron's tenure.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Typ0
                              honey pie
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by madness
                              The words 'dignity' and 'respect' have nothing to do about winning or losing...
                              I disagree. They might not be the most important thing on the micro week to week basis of winning and losing...but building a long term winning culture is going to require dignity and respect for all the components. When people feel like they are part of something bigger and more worthwhile than what they are individually capable of they are able to achieve greater than the sum of the parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X