PDA

View Full Version : BillsZone Power Rankings: Week 16

shelby
12-24-2008, 06:37 AM
Welcome back to the BillsZone power rankings. This week, I'm going to do things a little bit differently. I'm only going to be ranking the 18 teams that have either clinched a playoff berth, or that are still in the hunt. I'm leaving out all the others, because honestly, at this point, if the team is eliminated from the playoffs, they are completely irrelevant. Yes, I'm looking at you, Buffalo.

This week had some great games, and some very interesting games. After Saturday night, I had Dallas all but finished. I thought the game against Baltimore would be very winnable for them, and somehow they managed to lose. Without looking at the game tape a minimum of ten times, I'm guessing Tony Romo looked stale in yet another big game. Imagine that. But then, Philly decided to lose and put the Cowboys right back in the drivers seat. I loved the Titans/Steelers game. Big Ben looked horrible in this game. He tends to do that from what I've seen. Honestly, how good of a QB would he be on a team that didn't have such a top notch defense and running game? I've seen this guy throw so many bad interceptions, fumble at the worst times, and generally make very big mistakes. The best part of the game? Watching LenDale White stomp on the terrible towel. THANK YOU!! But seriously, that isn't good karma.

1. Tennessee Titans: The Titans will end this season with my number one ranking. I've had them near the top until recently, but they reclaimed the top spot with a definitive win against Pittsburgh. I honestly didn't think they would beat the Steelers, mostly due to all their injuries, and Kerry Collins going up against such a fast defense. Despite my lingering feelings of the Music City Miracle, Tennessee will most likely be my top choice in the AFC. I think Jeff Fisher is a great coach, and he deserves to finally get his big win.

2. New York Giants: I mean no disrespect by putting the Giants at two instead of one. The Giants had an equally as impressive win against the Panthers at home on Sunday night. I'm amazed at how well Derrick Ward ran in relief of Brandon Jacobs. That is one scary running game going into the playoffs. With the top spot locked up, those guys can all rest up for two weeks, and be fresh going into the playoffs. I never thought I'd see the day when Eli Manning won a Super Bowl, let alone two. Anything is possible at this point. One thing is for sure though, I don't think I can stomach two weeks of the media if both Manning brothers make it to the big game.

3. Carolina Panthers: The Panthers had a great chance to take down the Giants Sunday night, and failed to do so. Right now, if I had to pick a team to root for in the NFC playoffs, it would be either Carolina or New York. I'm giving the edge to Carolina, since the Giants won it last year. Seeing that I was eliminated from everything fantasy last week, I can only imagine how many fantasy titles were won by DeAngelo Williams last night.

4. Indianapolis Colts: I'm giving the Colts my fourth spot, and I mean nothing but disrespect for the Steelers. The Colts already beat them once at Heinz field, and they would do it again in the playoffs. The Colts are simply rolling right now, and honestly, those are the most dangerous teams in the playoffs. The Giants proved it last year, and the Steelers proved it a few years back. A few years back I never would've said it, but I wouldn't want to face Peyton Manning in the playoffs. Look out for the Colts.

5. Pittsburgh Steelers: The Steelers were handed a gift wrapped division title, and promptly laid down and died at Tennessee on Sunday. One had to wonder, they are a better road team than home team, so maybe this was all part of their plan. Before the season, I questioned how good the offensive line for Pittsburgh was, and at this point in the season, they are still terrible. You would think Pittsburgh would want to protect their franchise QB, but they seem to have other priorities. If I were a Steeler fan, I wouldn't trust Big Ben in the playoffs. He turns the ball over A LOT for a "great" QB. They have divisional round loss written all over them.

more... (http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2008/12/24/billszone_power_rankings_week_16.php)