PDA

View Full Version : Matt Cassel

acehole
12-24-2008, 09:34 AM
http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=playerbio&bio=30943

Time to stop toying and hoping with the qb position.

Trent Edwards has proven one thing for sure this year.

We need 2 quality starting qb's.

The concerns myself and others had last year were real.

Good or not he doenst know how to stay heathy.

Division foe with quality coaching and a
weath of information our deffense could use.

Keep Reed/parish for the welker roll rotate s Johnson and hardy for # 2.

Draft a stud TE and we really would have somthing here.

Let them fight it out in camp and the loser would make a great back up.

Consistancy and legitimacy is what he brings...cold weather strong arm tough.....now you have a Jim kelly comparison.

The King
12-24-2008, 09:36 AM
No Way.

I like Cassell, I think he's played well.

I dont think he has anywhere near the success he's had in another system.

zone
12-24-2008, 09:40 AM
Matt Cassel is a product of the system, period. Neither him or Brady would be the same player in another system.

acehole
12-24-2008, 09:41 AM
No Way.

I like Cassell, I think he's played well.

I dont think he has anywhere near the success he's had in another system.

System is the very similar dink and dunk crossing routes...but he can stretch the field as well.

41-7 playing denver...a bit different the Trent Edwards win.

patmoran2006
no

acehole
Matt Cassel is a product of the system, period. Neither him or Brady would be the same player in another system.

Fine bring me that system and 2-3 rings please.

patmoran2006
12-24-2008, 09:42 AM
spend his money on a dominating DE and/or OLB.

Trent will be just fine-- give him a TE to work the middle of the field like he's fond of doing.

acehole
12-24-2008, 09:43 AM
no

Why? Better then what we have and we need a viable starter/back up next year...who better?

Mr. Miyagi
12-24-2008, 09:44 AM

Trent will be just fine-- give him a TE to work the middle of the field like he's fond of doing.
:goodpost:

THATHURMANATOR
12-24-2008, 09:44 AM
no

Dozerdog
12-24-2008, 09:45 AM
We don't have Randy Moss

acehole
12-24-2008, 09:46 AM

Have we not learned anything this year?

Putting all of your eggs in the Trent Edwards basket while the talent tapers off in 1-3 is foolish.......when he goes down hamden is your man?

Insane.

acehole
12-24-2008, 09:47 AM
We don't have Randy Moss

J Hardy/s Johnson and Evans will do fine with a guy who can get them the ball....welker does the grunt work on that team anyway....

acehole
12-24-2008, 09:48 AM
:goodpost:

?

THATHURMANATOR
12-24-2008, 09:49 AM
no

DraftBoy
12-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Stupid idea

acehole
12-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Stupid idea

Oh yea who is the guys you want running the offense when Trent goes down?

....because he will...and everybody here knows it.

What is stupid is not having a plan "B".

Pats had one and they are in contention ...

we did not and we will be at home watching the playoffs...

That is a stupid idea...

THATHURMANATOR
12-24-2008, 09:53 AM
no.

DraftBoy
12-24-2008, 09:53 AM
Oh yea who is the guys you want running the offense when Trent goes down?

....because he will...and everybody here knows it.

Baker

acehole
12-24-2008, 09:56 AM
Baker

Twice as many TD as Trent and the same INT's(about)
and we want to go with the china doll.

How may games would that have put in the win rather then loss catagory?

Hurrican is right you all get what you deserve....

Ickybaluky
12-24-2008, 09:59 AM
The Pats are going to franchise Cassel and trade him for draft picks. They have the cap room to do so and don't want to let a player go for a late comp pick when they spent the last 4 seasons developing him.

acehole
12-24-2008, 10:02 AM
The Pats are going to franchise Cassel and trade him for draft picks. They have the cap room to do so and don't want to let a player go for a late comp pick when they spent the last 4 seasons developing him.

And of course they do this because he has no value right?

He will have a taker as well...and we will miss the playoffs ....again.

THATHURMANATOR
12-24-2008, 10:03 AM

Do you really think signing Cassell to a big deal(he will command one) or trading a bunch of picks if NE franchises him will be worth it? Do you honestly think he would be good for the Bills? Come on man.

acehole
12-24-2008, 10:05 AM
Do you really think signing Cassell to a big deal(he will command one) or trading a bunch of picks if NE franchises him will be worth it? Do you honestly think he would be good for the Bills? Come on man.

Money yes...picks no.....as of this time he is not frachised but I trust NE89 word.....

I dont want to go into next year depending on Trent to stay heathy...

zone
12-24-2008, 10:05 AM
I bet the pats keep Cassel and trade Brady.

Brady's getting Bledsoed. That would be awesome!

Ickybaluky
12-24-2008, 10:06 AM
And of course they do this because he has no value right?

He will have a taker as well...and we will miss the playoffs ....again.

There is no more valuable commodity in the NFL than a starting QB. If Matt Schaub can get dealt for 2 #2's, Cassel has value.

This scenario also allows the Pats some control over where Cassel goes. They don't want him going within the division, they probably want him in the NFC.

Anyone who thinks Cassel is a product of the system hasn't watched him play this year. He has improved consistently throughout the year and is now a top-half of the NFL QB. The kid is a good player, so this is a much different deal than dumping an overrated Drew Bledsoe. The Pats don't want this kid coming back to haunt them.

Ickybaluky
12-24-2008, 10:07 AM

That is ridiculous. The kid is a good player, but he isn't Brady. Brady and Manning are in their own class.

DraftBoy
12-24-2008, 10:08 AM

HH is right about a couple of things but this is not one of them. Assuming Cassel would have similar production in a different system with far less playmakers is pretty ignorant of the facts.

THATHURMANATOR
12-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Money yes...picks no.....as of this time he is not frachised but I trust NE89 word.....

I dont want to go into next year depending on Trent to stay heathy...
I agree that another QB is needed but I would rather have an older veteran that can still play if called on, not two young guys neither of which is 100% proven.

DraftBoy
12-24-2008, 10:09 AM
There is no more valuable commodity in the NFL than a starting QB. If Matt Schaub can get dealt for 2 #2's, Cassel has value.

This scenario also allows the Pats some control over where Cassel goes. They don't want him going within the division, they probably want him in the NFC.

Anyone who thinks Cassel is a product of the system hasn't watched him play this year. He has improved consistently throughout the year and is now a top-half of the NFL QB. The kid is a good player, so this is a much different deal than dumping an overrated Drew Bledsoe. The Pats don't want this kid coming back to haunt them.

Ive seen him play numoerous times and on a mediocre team with less talent, I dont see him as being anywhere near as good as he is now. He benefits greatly from playing with great players.

Ickybaluky
12-24-2008, 10:10 AM
I don't see QB as the Bills problem. Edwards will be fine, he is going to be a good player.

Ickybaluky
12-24-2008, 10:12 AM
Ive seen him play numoerous times and on a mediocre team with less talent, I dont see him as being anywhere near as good as he is now. He benefits greatly from playing with great players.

I've watched him play all year, and he has pretty much everything you look for in a starting QB. He has size, athleticism and a live arm. He does a good job managing the offense and runs all the plays. He doesn't make a lot of mistakes and has developed a lot more poise in the pocket with experience (hence, the sacks going way down).

Say what you want, but the Pats OL has not played as well this year and the kid is making plays. I can't think of any more than 10-15 QBs in the NFL I would rate over him right now.

Has he benefitted from good coaching? No doubt.

Does he have a lot of skill talent around him? Yes.

Still, he is on pace to throw for 3,900 yards, 63% completions and 22 Tds-to-12 Ints as a first year starter. He is performing, works hard and is going to get better.

trapezeus
12-24-2008, 10:14 AM

Putting all of your eggs in the Trent Edwards basket while the talent tapers off in 1-3 is foolish.......when he goes down hamden is your man?

Insane.

have you not learned anything from 2002? When they let bledsoe go, it was for good reason. I don't want the bills to take another QB from the patriots that the patriots deem is worthy of leaving.

Cassell has played incredibly well considering who he was backing up. He's had some dud games. he lost to the dolphins when the dolphins were still technically bad. Bills fans will eat him alive.

Cassell needs more than 1 good year to take on someone else's project at inflated costs. if the patriots want to believe in Cassell and are interested in a trade for Brady, i'd be willing to do that.

DraftBoy
12-24-2008, 10:19 AM
I've watched him play all year, and he has pretty much everything you look for in a starting QB. He has size, athleticism and a live arm. He does a good job managing the offense and runs all the plays. He doesn't make a lot of mistakes and has developed a lot more poise in the pocket with experience (hence, the sacks going way down).

Say what you want, but the Pats OL has not played as well this year and the kid is making plays. I can't think of any more than 10-15 QBs in the NFL I would rate over him right now.

Has he benefitted from good coaching? No doubt.

Does he have a lot of skill talent around him? Yes.

Still, he is on pace to throw for 3,900 yards, 63% completions and 22 Tds-to-12 Ints as a first year starter. He is performing, works hard and is going to get better.

Nobody said he's not playing well, however the system the Pats run, the coaching staff, and the players around him make him look better imo than he is. If you put him in San Francisco I think he will struggle mightily. I admire the work he's put in to get better and even more so the work the Patriots scouts and FO put in to figure out the kid could play given limited tape and workouts.

justasportsfan
12-24-2008, 10:31 AM
Only BB can make Cassel look like a decent qb. Bringing him in here will do nothing. I'd rather get a proven OC who can put Trent in a situation to succeed.

justasportsfan
12-24-2008, 10:33 AM

With our luck, we get Brady and then he decides to come out of the closet and get a sex operation in Thailand.

X-Era
12-24-2008, 10:35 AM
:clap::clap::clap:

:up:

patmoran2006
12-24-2008, 11:35 AM

Insane.
I never said I’m for <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Hamden</st1:place></st1:City> being the #2. I think its vital we get a competent #2 QB. If we had a decent #2 QB we certainly beat SF and the Jets and probably <st1:City w:st="on">Miami</st1:City> (in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Toronto</st1:place></st1:City>) and we’re sitting at 10-5 right now.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Edwards is good. He made some typical first full year starter mistakes and dry spells, and anyone who didn’t think that would happen is being unrealistic.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I’m not for giving Cassell $40-50 million. I”d rather take his money and if your looking to get better offensively, get a real TE in here and a more viable center. That would make Edwards better—not another Johnson/Flutie debacle.<o:p></o:p>

BillsWin
12-24-2008, 11:41 AM

So we get Brady? No thanks. I hate that douche.

TacklingDummy
12-24-2008, 12:00 PM
What is stupid is not having a plan "B".

Pats had one and they are in contention ...

The Pats B Plan was to have a backup who hasn't taken a snap since High School. Great B plan. :up:

Ickybaluky
12-24-2008, 12:47 PM
The Pats B Plan was to have a backup who hasn't taken a snap since High School. Great B plan. :up:

Their backup plan was to develop a guy over a period of years, so if he were needed he would know the offense and be ready to go.

Also, it is incorrect to say he "hasn't taken a snap since High School". He did have snaps in college. In fact, he even started a game.

yordad
12-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Also, it is incorrect to say he "hasn't taken a snap since High School". He did have snaps in college. In fact, he even started a game.If this wasn't coming from you, I would really doubt it, but I heard he hadn't started since highschool. How sure are you?

tat2dmike77
12-24-2008, 12:56 PM
Let me remind all of you who support the signing of a career backup who had one good season and then signed for millions of dollars and laughed all the way to the bank. His name was Rob Johnson and he had one good season in Jacksonville and was touted as the next best thing. I think we all know how that turned out don't we.

Cassell is doing well because (as much as i hate to say it) Bellichik is a damn good coach who knows how to make the most out of his players strengths. Unlike our bafoon of a HC who stands there and does the dumbest crap ever and wonders why players blow plays.

DraftBoy
12-24-2008, 01:00 PM
If this wasn't coming from you, I would really doubt it, but I heard he hadn't started since highschool. How sure are you?

He played at USC in garbage time and I think his Sophmore game he started one due to injuries. Not to mention he ran the scout team in practice day in and day out for four years against about 20 or so different NFL players.

Mahdi
12-24-2008, 01:58 PM
That's BS. There is no such thing as a QB being a product of the system in the NFL. No matter what system a QB plays in he has to make reads, has to be accurate and possess a certain amount of arm strength. The NFL is too good for someone to just get by because of the system he is in. Factor in that Cassel is not only filling in for Brady he has actually put up VERY good numbers.

That being said, as much as I would like to have Cassel and Edwards as our 2 QBs Cassel is going to demand starter money from someone so if its us then he becomes the starter and Edwards is #2. That wont happen.

patmoran2006
12-24-2008, 01:59 PM
So what..
He's a late bloomer.. So was Tom Brady.

Id rather guys like that, then guys like JP Losman, who peaked in high school.

The Jokeman
12-24-2008, 03:04 PM
We don't have Randy Moss
Hell we don't even have Wes Welker. In terms of Cassell all I'm hoping for is he leaves the Patriots and for greener pastures like Detroit and falls flat on his face. As we don't need him, as others have eluded we do need a backup QB but to me a veteran in the mold of Luke McKown, Jon Kitna or Dan Orlovsky would all fit in well as be far cheaper and give us a guy that could be a spark for a handful of games if Trent isn't able to play due to injury. I'd then use a pick in Rounds 5-7 to find a development type QB to serve as a 3rd string just in case Trent doesn't turn out to be the QB we all hope/think he can be.

Luisito23
12-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Weren't we having the same convo last year regarding Derek Anderson?....How that turned out?...:poop:

zone
12-24-2008, 04:22 PM
So we get Brady? No thanks. I hate that douche.
NO WAY!

I would rather watch Lossman fumble away every game then see that douche with a Buffalo on his helmet.

zone
12-24-2008, 04:26 PM
That's BS. There is no such thing as a QB being a product of the system in the NFL. No matter what system a QB plays in he has to make reads, has to be accurate and possess a certain amount of arm strength. The NFL is too good for someone to just get by because of the system he is in. Factor in that Cassel is not only filling in for Brady he has actually put up VERY good numbers.
Really? We will see next year....

Goobylal
12-24-2008, 05:37 PM
The Pats can only potentially get something for Cassel if they franchise him, but if they franchise him, they won't be able to trade him. Franchising him will pay him between the 2nd and 3rd highest-paid QB's in the league, and that's the type of deal his agent will be looking for from a prospective team. No one will offer him even close to that, much less offer a draft pick on top of that.

Schaub was a different story because he was still under (his rookie) contract and got a deal that put him about midway for starting QB's ($8M a year). He also wasn't throwing to guys like Moss, Welker, and Faulk.

Ickybaluky
12-25-2008, 08:32 AM
If this wasn't coming from you, I would really doubt it, but I heard he hadn't started since highschool. How sure are you?

I was kind of busting chops on that one, baiting to see if he would pick it up.

He started one game at USC, but not at QB. He started a game at H-Back.

Ickybaluky
12-25-2008, 08:47 AM
The Pats can only potentially get something for Cassel if they franchise him, but if they franchise him, they won't be able to trade him. Franchising him will pay him between the 2nd and 3rd highest-paid QB's in the league, and that's the type of deal his agent will be looking for from a prospective team. No one will offer him even close to that, much less offer a draft pick on top of that.

Schaub was a different story because he was still under (his rookie) contract and got a deal that put him about midway for starting QB's ($8M a year). He also wasn't throwing to guys like Moss, Welker, and Faulk.

Teams trade guys on the franchise tender all the time. When he gets dealt the contract will be re-done, so the tender is not relevant.

Someone is going to sign Cassel to a $40M-$50M deal with $17M-$20M guaranteed, on the low end. He may end up getting more than that. The contract part is the easiest thing to work out.

Cassel, in his first year starting, led the Patriots to 11 wins while finishing in the top half of the NFL is almost every major passing category. He is 11th in completion%, 8th in passing yardage and 11th in QB Rating. He has had a great year, by any measure, and improved consistently with playing time throughout the season. He started out slow, but over his last 8 games he has thrown for 2,253 Yards (61.5%), 14 TDs, 5 Ints and a QB Rating of 92.1. The arrow is all up on the kid.

Think about this: Atlanta traded Schaub for 2 #2's and he was given a $40M+ contract, and he had only 2 starts and 161 attempts. Cassel will have a full season under his belt and is far more proven. He has far greater value.

If you draft a QB in the top-10 you are going to pay him $50M plus with $30M guaranteed. Cassel has unbelievable value.

acehole
12-25-2008, 09:17 AM
Bledsoe and Cassel are 2 diff ideas....

Cassel is young and promising and bledsoe was on the last legs of his career...

have you not learned anything from 2002? When they let bledsoe go, it was for good reason. I don't want the bills to take another QB from the patriots that the patriots deem is worthy of leaving.

Cassell has played incredibly well considering who he was backing up. He's had some dud games. he lost to the dolphins when the dolphins were still technically bad. Bills fans will eat him alive.

Cassell needs more than 1 good year to take on someone else's project at inflated costs. if the patriots want to believe in Cassell and are interested in a trade for Brady, i'd be willing to do that.

acehole
12-25-2008, 09:21 AM
So what..
He's a late bloomer.. So was Tom Brady.

Id rather guys like that, then guys like JP Losman, who peaked in high school.

This is not about lossman it is about the guy that is our "Future" Trent Edwards.

Are you all betting he can make it through a whole season?

Are you willing to take the chance?

If you need a qb you go after the best one available then down the line..

Who better?

Wonder if he has another 5-7 game losing streak?

I wanta plan "B" and we forgo one at our own peril.

acehole
12-25-2008, 09:23 AM
No just one good game....

Again apples and a sack of oranges...

Let me remind all of you who support the signing of a career backup who had one good season and then signed for millions of dollars and laughed all the way to the bank. His name was Rob Johnson and he had one good season in Jacksonville and was touted as the next best thing. I think we all know how that turned out don't we.

Cassell is doing well because (as much as i hate to say it) Bellichik is a damn good coach who knows how to make the most out of his players strengths. Unlike our bafoon of a HC who stands there and does the dumbest crap ever and wonders why players blow plays.

acehole
12-25-2008, 09:26 AM
I agree that another QB is needed but I would rather have an older veteran that can still play if called on, not two young guys neither of which is 100% proven.

OK who....Hasslebeck? Culpepper?

TacklingDummy
12-25-2008, 10:18 AM
Wonder if he has another 5-7 game losing streak?

if the Bills don't find a pass rush, TE, #1 WR, running game, don't be surprised with next years schedule they lose 10-11 games.

Goobylal
12-25-2008, 12:12 PM
Teams trade guys on the franchise tender all the time. When he gets dealt the contract will be re-done, so the tender is not relevant.

Someone is going to sign Cassel to a $40M-$50M deal with $17M-$20M guaranteed, on the low end. He may end up getting more than that. The contract part is the easiest thing to work out.

Cassel, in his first year starting, led the Patriots to 11 wins while finishing in the top half of the NFL is almost every major passing category. He is 11th in completion%, 8th in passing yardage and 11th in QB Rating. He has had a great year, by any measure, and improved consistently with playing time throughout the season. He started out slow, but over his last 8 games he has thrown for 2,253 Yards (61.5%), 14 TDs, 5 Ints and a QB Rating of 92.1. The arrow is all up on the kid.

Think about this: Atlanta traded Schaub for 2 #2's and he was given a $40M+ contract, and he had only 2 starts and 161 attempts. Cassel will have a full season under his belt and is far more proven. He has far greater value.

If you draft a QB in the top-10 you are going to pay him $50M plus with $30M guaranteed. Cassel has unbelievable value.
Suffice it to say that there are a lot of factors working against the Pats (not to least of which is the Patriots having no idea if Brady will be able to return, much less by late March, when they'll need to designate Cassel a franchise player before the start of FA), and that trading him in all likelihood won't happen.

Typ0
12-25-2008, 12:45 PM
acehole I think your tone and attitude stinks. There isn't a team in the league that doesn't need two starting QBs on their roster. The problem is there aren't that many starting guys to go around and they all want to start not be a backup. So you have to hope you can get those two guys but there is no guarantees.

As far as Cassell goes I wouldn't put the farm into his egg basket he still makes a ton of mistakes. That team is loaded with talent and they overcome some of it but they aren't exactly lighting it up this year either. I'd be very weary of giving MC a big payday that is going to strap this cash to crap team.

Ingtar33
12-25-2008, 01:05 PM
System is the very similar dink and dunk crossing routes...but he can stretch the field as well.

41-7 playing denver...a bit different the Trent Edwards win.

did you watch that game?

Cutler injured his throwing arm on the 2nd play from scrimmage, played like crap, and left the game after throwing a few picks.

They lost 3 starting RBs (one i think might have been hurt before the start of the game) and their 3rd or 4th string back fumbled the ball like 2 or 3 times.

It was in NE too...

So yeah. of course the Pats would blow denver out when the turn the ball over a bunch, their starting QB goes down with an injury, and their starting and backup running backs go out with injury.

I don't think you can compare what Cassel did verse the Broncos to what Trent Edwards did.

Cassel gets sacked too much, he's got a great running game and the best WR in football, and a great coaching staff. He's no where near as good as he's looked this year. (that said, he's played better then Edwards)

Goobylal
12-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Cassel's put up good numbers...against the worst pass defenses in the NFL. What raises a red flag are his performances against teams like the Steelers and Colts. The Patriots haven't beaten a top team yet this year, and as a result, won't be making the playoffs.

MarvLevy
12-25-2008, 02:50 PM

We have TE's!!!!! We just have to utilize them more!

bledslow
12-26-2008, 12:23 PM
system this,system that,system system system. <---This is what ppl say when they cant think of something bright to say. If it was the system,then how come every single team in the nfl/college doesn't use it? THe guy can make every throw,that's why he's good.simple as that.

patmoran2006
12-26-2008, 08:23 PM
We have TE's!!!!! We just have to utilize them more!None of them get open consistently and catch the ball. Sorry.. Fine adn SChouman are backups, we need a REAL #1 TE.

Michael82
12-27-2008, 02:26 AM
I agree with your premise. I am definitely not sold on Trent and am also worried about him being another Tim Connolly. But I don't think Cassel is the answer. I'd rather draft another QB.

acehole
12-27-2008, 08:06 AM
I agree with your premise. I am definitely not sold on Trent and am also worried about him being another Tim Connolly. But I don't think Cassel is the answer. I'd rather draft another QB.

Arent we tired of hoping though?

How about a proven FA.

Michael82
12-27-2008, 02:26 PM
Arent we tired of hoping though?

How about a proven FA.
I don't think he's proven. I think he's going to be another Derek Anderson 1 year wonder or else a system QB and never be the same elsewhere.

HHURRICANE
12-27-2008, 04:44 PM
Edwards>Cassel.

Can we save the the stupid for the off-season?

I wonder how good Edwards would look with Wes Welker and Randy Moss on his team?

acehole
12-28-2008, 07:41 AM
Edwards>Cassel.

Can we save the the stupid for the off-season?

I wonder how good Edwards would look with Wes Welker and Randy Moss on his team?

Based on what?
Cassel better qb rating better record better arm.....
What is stupid is the rant posts you start every 5 min...that say look at me...pay attention to me....

He wouldhelp this team...and is a better starting qb for us...

Trent is to fragile to make it through a season...

Mike13
12-28-2008, 11:01 AM

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Keep dreaming, you would have to be completely ******ed to get rid of Brady.

Cassel is a good QB but he has a hell of a team around him.
The Pats will tag him and trade him for picks, but if your team wants to take a gamble go right ahead.