PDA

View Full Version : TSN: Analyzing Rookie WR's

DraftBoy
12-24-2008, 10:53 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the_sporting_blog/entry/view/15962/draft_rewind_analyzing_rookie_wrs

Remember when the Rams selected Donnie Avery (pictured) with the 33rd pick of the 2008 NFL Draft?

Few owners knew who Avery was at that time. But as the statistics show for this year's rookie WR's, the Rams picked the right man. Avery is third among rookie WR's with 634 receiving yards, and the burner has 2 TDs.

billogic99
12-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Undrafted RFA Davone Bess is 4th with 515 yards and a TD....FRIKIN UNDRAFTED.

bigbub2352
12-24-2008, 11:37 AM
WRs are a crap shoot in the draft, i maintain that i liked Devon THomas best and think he will be a solid pro, but Hardy was a disappoinment, just like everything else coming out of OBD lately

Steve Johnson in my opinion was the best pick we made in the 08 draft, only cause it was a 7th round pick, and he should have been long gone
I said it the day of the draft, i still cant believe he was there

RockStar36
12-24-2008, 11:43 AM
I don't know what it is about Steve Johnson, but I liked him since the pre-season. Maybe it was the whole 7th round pick/underdog thing.

yordad
12-24-2008, 12:07 PM
:phew: Good thing we got that big red zone target.

BILLSROCK1212
12-24-2008, 12:12 PM
:phew: Good thing we got that big red zone target.
Yea, Steve Johnson's pretty good. If only we could get Hardy the ball when he was open. If that were to happen Hardy would be one of the best rookie WRs this year.

trapezeus
12-24-2008, 12:20 PM
optimistcally speaking, maybe hardy had his Josh Reed Year 2 performance in his rookie season and he'll turn into a studly blocking receiver who is open all the time on 3rd down over the course of the next two years.

for all the JR injuries, he never tore anything. i think Hardy may be done for most of next year, and in year 3 if he doesn't make a huge jump, then he's essentially Kevin Everett. Tons of upside, but never really made an impact. To the people who like to make a big deal of everything, i'm not dogging Everett's post paralysis situation. just his time as a bill before the injury.

Bling
12-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Davone Bess :hump:

streetkings01
12-24-2008, 12:44 PM
optimistcally speaking, maybe hardy had his Josh Reed Year 2 performance in his rookie season and he'll turn into a studly blocking receiver who is open all the time on 3rd down over the course of the next two years.

for all the JR injuries, he never tore anything. i think Hardy may be done for most of next year, and in year 3 if he doesn't make a huge jump, then he's essentially Kevin Everett. Tons of upside, but never really made an impact. To the people who like to make a big deal of everything, i'm not dogging Everett's post paralysis situation. just his time as a bill before the injury.You do know Josh Reed had 37 rec and 2 tds in his rookie season and followed it up the next season with 58 rec and 2 tds? How can you even compare Reeds 2nd season in the NFL to Hardy's first? Hardy needs 86 receptions next season just to tie what Reed did over a course of 2 seasons!

thenry20
12-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Yea, Steve Johnson's pretty good. If only we could get Hardy the ball when he was open. If that were to happen Hardy would be one of the best rookie WRs this year.

We did throw him the ball--it's just that he has very bad hands. For a "possession" receiver, this should not be a glaring negative!

The Jokeman
12-24-2008, 03:00 PM
Personally I think rookie WR is more a reflection of playing time/opportunity then skill alone. As all too often the rookie WRs that have big seasons are the ones playing more and/or teams have little else in terms of options in the receiving game. Of course some do prove to be great over time but to me for any Bills fan to think James Hardy is a bust thus far is being short sighted and wait until 2011 before passing judgment.

yordad
12-25-2008, 12:04 AM
“We really like Steve Johnson,” Jauron said. “Very competitive guy. It never seems, even from the first day to some degree, it never seemed like the game was too big for him."~ Bills Digest

IMO, the game has looked bigger then Hardy at times. But, if he gets it, he's got a lot of tools. He has a huge upside.

Heck, in three years we could be running the show with these two. But I think Johnson will contribute sooner. Well, he already has. These other guys may have just had more opportunities.

PECKERWOOD
12-25-2008, 05:05 AM
Some people are late bloomers, some people bloom early and fade away towards the end.. Then there are those who are blessed from the start to finish and bloom all the way through. Whatever, say what you want about Hardy but when it comes down to it? You could end up seeing Hardy and Johnson as our #1 and #2. The NFL is weird like that, crazy **** happens all the time.

Ingtar33
12-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Hardy's problem is a lack of upper body strength

jamze132
12-26-2008, 01:00 AM
Hardy's problem is a lack of upper body strength
That's an easy fix if he follows the off-season routine. And good thing for him, he didn't tear up anything above his knee so pushing some iron shouldn't be an issue at all...

X-Era
12-26-2008, 07:09 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the_sporting_blog/entry/view/15962/draft_rewind_analyzing_rookie_wrs

The guy I kept telling you about over and over is #1 so far out of that class.... Eddie Royal.

The other guy I mentioned over and over is doing very well as well, except for that drop as he went into the endzone... Desean Jackson.

X-Era
12-26-2008, 07:12 AM
“We really like Steve Johnson,” Jauron said. “Very competitive guy. It never seems, even from the first day to some degree, it never seemed like the game was too big for him."~ Bills Digest

IMO, the game has looked bigger then Hardy at times. But, if he gets it, he's got a lot of tools. He has a huge upside.

Heck, in three years we could be running the show with these two. But I think Johnson will contribute sooner. Well, he already has. These other guys may have just had more opportunities.

Love the post except for this blurb: "Heck, in three years we could be running the show with these two"

How many times have we said crap like that before about our youngsters only to have it never materialize.

yordad
12-26-2008, 07:17 AM
Love the post except for this blurb: "Heck, in three years we could be running the show with these two"

How many times have we said crap like that before about our youngsters only to have it never materialize.
I know. I gringed at my own irrational optimisim on that one. lol