X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • okbills
    • Dec 2008

The Case Against Dick Jauron

Yes, it has taken some time to produce this post, but I hope you all find it valuable, at least to add some meat to everything we already know, but adding the dimension of the bigger picture.

Dick Jauron coached in Chicago from 1999-2003, Detroit for five games in 2005, and has coached the Bills since 2006 to present.

Here is the case against Dick Jauron. Sorry the image quality did not come out so hot.

First, notice Dick Jauron's winning percentage, or better said, losing percentage. His career losing equals a better part of 60 percent of all games he's coached. Conversely, his total career winning percentage hovers just over 40 percent. This means Dick Jauron can be expected, based on this history, to always win about 6.5-7 games a year. Anybody notice how accurate that is? He has coached the Bills to two 7-9 seasons and may add a third. What could we expect in the future? More 7-9 football.

Next, lets look at career division results. Here you can see the trend line. The numbers on the left indicate how his teams have finished in their respective divisions.Dick should be improving, but his results are running contrary to the trend line.

Next, career passing offenses. Notice how his passing offenses have consistently, minus 1999, posted bottom dwelling results. These numbers speak for themselves.

Next, rushing offense. Here, Dick's rushing offense has posted better results, clearly an indication of a run first mentality, especially when considering this information in light of his career passing data. But notice also how the Bills have closed the delta between passing and rushing, posting a more balanced approach. So that is a positive trend which I hope our coach or next coach will continue to draw together.

Next, career touchdown performance. Here we seen that for the most part, Dick's teams have not performed any better than average with touchdowns, a mark of offensive prowess. This is a clear indication of a conservative philosophy, an unwillingness to take gambles, or an indication of keeping the screws on too tight. I am happy to see the league rank improving.

Here is where the picture get's ugly. Let's look at Dick's career turnover record. His teams are not disciplined, something we can all attest to. Clearly his teams are not playing as hard as they should be. Consistently posting negative turnover ratio's is an indication of softness and problems with effort and grit. I am very unhappy about this years regression.

The final graph. This is graph, taken in context with Jauron's putrid giveaway record demonstrates how soft a coach Dick really is. Notice the horrible turnover ratio.
  • elltrain22
    • Sep 2003

Re: The Case Against Dick Jauron

Wow, charts!! Cool!! Very good research. To be honest w/ ya though, I already knew he was a horrible coach. Nice Work!!
    If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• okbills
      • Dec 2008

Me too. This just helped me realize a few things. The biggest is the turnover ratio. Wow, that is just putrid. It demonstrates how weak a coach he is and how his players, contrary to popular belief, don't produce for him. He is soft and they play soft.

Comment

• yordad
        • Dec 2007

OK. looks conclusive to me. LOL
        "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• tat2dmike77
          Let the planet get warmer. We'll grow oranges in Alaska!
          • Dec 2005

Like i needed a pretty chart to tell me Dick Jauron sucks as a HC. This is

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

Love to see someone put time into their thoughts.

Excellent job.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• The Jokeman
              • Dec 2003

I prefer the unabridged version, his only winning season was an exception to the rule of the type of coach he is.

Comment

• theanswer74
                • Apr 2004

I love graphs. Now I know Jauron isn't a winner.

Comment

• thenry20
                  • Jan 2004

1-7 already convinced me beyond any shadow of a doubt. Only if Butler and Fowler weren't starting from Week 1, I really think we'd have a better record. Dick refused to acknowledge how bad the line was until it was too late and then made changes. Idiot.

Comment

• okbills
                    • Dec 2008

Yes, well, let's not even begin to talk about how the Bills also had one of the NFLs easiest strengths of schedule.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                      • Mar 2005

Next, what will the market do?

Comment

Working...
                      X