PDA

View Full Version : Troubles in Buffalo run deep

shelby
12-27-2008, 07:01 AM
As the Buffalo Bills wrap up their ninth consecutive season outside the NFL playoffs, it's easy to forget how high they were flying early on.
On Oct. 19, the Bills were 5-1 and had sole possession of first place in the AFC East. Sophomore quarterback Trent Edwards was coming off the most accurate day ever for a Buffalo quarterback in a win over the San Diego Chargers. Bills management was busy working on a three-year contract extension for head coach Dick Jauron, who it appeared was leading the team out of the NFL's wilderness.

It was Jauron who early in the season cautioned that a hot start doesn't necessarily correlate with a strong finish in football. But even he couldn't have imagined what would follow as the Bills lost seven of their next eight games and fell from first to last place in their division.

Emotions in Buffalo right now range from disappointment to despair and desperation, not surprising given that fans rallied to buy the most season tickets since the club's string of four consecutive AFC championships in the early 1990s.
With a win over the New England Patriots tomorrow, Buffalo would finish 8-8 on the year, a one-game improvement from last season. Few view that as a step forward.

more.. (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081226.wsptbillsnew26/GSStory/GlobeSportsFootball/home)

yordad
12-27-2008, 07:27 AM
"But when fear of the team leaving town trumps all, how many of those who show up can say they won't be back?"

Sometimes I feel like a hostage.

shelby
12-27-2008, 07:29 AM
It is a lose/lose situation, isn't it?

DynaPaul
12-27-2008, 07:52 AM
I'm not going to be a financial hostage anymore. I don't negotiate with terrorists!

yordad
12-27-2008, 07:59 AM
It is a lose/lose situation, isn't it?Well, I guess much like the Reed article (the other you posted this morning), we might not know what we have in Ralph til he's gone. We might find out sooner then later.

I'll tell yall, when I think "competitor" few names come up. The first one is Michael Jordan. But not to far behind in my mind comes names like John Elway and.... Jim Kelly. I believe not winning it all eats at this guy. I believe he wants very much to bring a SB win to WNY.

He is like my friggin Santa Claus, lol. You just gotta Billieve. I can't believe you, I, him, her, them, and us could root, hope, want, and billieve in something so much, for so long..... to not have it come true someday would be just unbillieveable.

WNY has earned that friggin SB. Bills fans deserve it. And a competitive "owner" like Jim Kelly would make all the difference.

Now I don't know for sure if Jim really has enough strings to make that happen. And I don't know who all else would be interested in the Bills. And I don't know how likely it is a new owner would move them. But, I'm a ex-pro gambler, and a betting men, I would risk it all.

Ralph or the grab bag. I'll take the grab bag.

Mitchy moo
12-27-2008, 08:18 AM
Forget to take your medicine ralph, things will get better from there.

shelby
12-27-2008, 08:41 AM
That's cold, Skoobs.

TacklingDummy
12-27-2008, 09:08 AM
Nobody is going to shell out the kind of money it takes to buy a football team in this economy.

Wally The Barber
12-27-2008, 09:08 AM
Shelb, I am in Buffalo and the fans are just fine but there seems to be large crowds of fans hanging around Niagara Falls

yordad
12-27-2008, 10:11 AM
Shelb, I am in Buffalo and the fans are just fine but there seems to be large crowds of fans hanging around Niagara FallsHuh?

shelby
12-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Ready to jump, perhaps.;)

Wally The Barber
12-27-2008, 11:21 AM
Ready to jump, perhaps.;)

You got it!