PDA

View Full Version : So we are officially picking 11th overall now...

DraftBoy
12-28-2008, 10:19 PM
1. Detroit-QB Matt Stafford-Georgia
2. St. Louis-OT Andre Smith-Alabama
3. Kansas City-DE Brian Orakpo-Texas
4. Cleveland-RB Chris Wells-Ohio State
5. Seattle-WR Michael Crabtree-Texas Tech
6. Cincinnati-OT Michael Oher-Mississippi
7. Jacksonville-CB Malcolm Jenkins-Ohio State
8. Oakland-OT Eugene Monroe-Virginia
9. Green Bay-LB Aaron Curry-Wake Forest
10. San Francisco-QB Sam Bradford-Oklahoma
11. Buffalo-DE Michael Johnson...or
...CB Vontae Davis-Illinois...or
...DE George Selvie-USF...or
...S Taylor Mays-USC...or
...OC Alex Mack-Cal...or
...DE Everette Brown-FSU...or
...OG Duke Robinson-Oklahoma...or
....LB Rey Maualuga-USC...or
...LB James Laurinitis-Ohio State....or
...somebody else??

You tell me who you want in this situation.

Mr. Pink
12-28-2008, 10:21 PM
I'm back to thinking Taylor Mays...

As much as you hate the guy....

But we need a playmaker at Safety with this scheme.

Dr. Lecter
12-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Aaron Curry. :(

Mitchell55
12-28-2008, 10:22 PM
George Selvie or Everette Brown.

yordad
12-28-2008, 10:27 PM
Curry probably will be taken one spot ahead of as, all sorta Patrick Willisesque.

For me it is to hard to say right now. I am still holding out hope we transition tag Crowell, sign a FA center, and draft the best available DE. Johnson should do it. Then go TE in the second.

DraftBoy
12-28-2008, 10:29 PM

I think Mays could one day be a VERY good FS in the NFL, but as of now Im not as convinced his skills are as developed as other scouts. Just my opinion on him but I see some big flaws.

DraftBoy
12-28-2008, 10:29 PM

I know, I see a Pat Willis situation all over again...****!

DraftBoy
12-28-2008, 10:30 PM
George Selvie or Everette Brown.

But not Johnson?

HHURRICANE
If the Bills haven't figured out that it's DE or LB than I give up.

Birk should be our Center which means a center in the second round.

DraftBoy
Curry probably will be taken one spot ahead of as, all sorta Patrick Willisesque.

For me it is to hard to say right now. I am still holding out hope we transition tag Crowell, sign a FA center, and draft the best available DE. Johnson should do it. Then go TE in the second.

I would be ok with all of that happening! :up:

DraftBoy
12-28-2008, 10:32 PM
If the Bills haven't figured out that it's DE or LB than I give up.

Birk should be our Center which means a center in the second round.

I dont think we can limit ourselves in that way. Say Crabtree runs a horrid combine (4.6-4.7 range) and all the sudden falls to us at 10, can we really pass on him and his skills given we have no real #2 WR?? What is Stafford falls to 10? Im just saying we can't limit our scope to only two positions, thats how you get yourself into trouble. We have plenty of places we could improve at.

VeggieMan14
12-28-2008, 10:33 PM
MANANLLALAGUA!!!!!!! think about it Posluszny playing next to Manaluga at least we would confuse the other team

DraftBoy
12-28-2008, 10:34 PM
MANANLLALAGUA!!!!!!! think about it Posluszny playing next to Manaluga at least we would confuse the other team

I have huge concerns with Rey especially in a 4-3 scheme, he was extremely unimpressive this year and lacks the athleticism I think our MLB needs to have.

BILLSROCK1212
i've got a good feeling we'll end up trading down

trapezeus
if we take another player in the secondary, i'm going to shoot myself. take the biggest DE available.

VeggieMan14
12-28-2008, 10:35 PM
i've got a good feeling we'll end up trading downHow about trading up for Orakpo? i know kinda Risque for our FO but who knows

VeggieMan14
12-28-2008, 10:36 PM
I have huge concerns with Rey especially in a 4-3 scheme, he was extremely unimpressive this year and lacks the athleticism I think our MLB needs to have. I know awards dont always mean everything but didnt he win the Butkis award this year?

BILLSROCK1212
12-28-2008, 10:37 PM
How about trading up for Orakpo? i know kinda Risque for our FO but who knows
idk...to be honest havent followed players closely enough to give an opinion on him but i'm sure if our FO thinks he's worth it we'll do it otherwise i'd rather trade back even if it's just a spot or 2

Mitchell55

I dont know why you are so mad. Because of Pat Willis getting signed we were able to get Lynch and Pos.

DraftBoy
if we take another player in the secondary, i'm going to shoot myself. take the biggest DE available.

We got holes at FS, SS and Nickle corner and who knows how much longer McGee will be a good CB for, he'll be 29 next season. Plus a huge hole at OLB. I dont just think a big DE is going to fix all our other ills.

DraftBoy
12-28-2008, 10:38 PM
I know awards dont always mean everything but didnt he win the Butkis award this year?

Yes he did, but imo alot of those awards are off name recognition. The people who vote on these awards are the same types who vote for Pro Bowl nods. Its great to get an award dont get me wrong and I think Rey is a fine player but I dont think he's a top 20 player like some are saying he is.

DraftBoy
12-28-2008, 10:39 PM

Not a bad idea but for who exactly? Gresham? Maualuga?

Tatonka
12-28-2008, 10:39 PM
bradford is my guy. i would be happy with johnson or curry though.

DraftBoy
12-28-2008, 10:40 PM
How about trading up for Orakpo? i know kinda Risque for our FO but who knows

Im not sold enough on Orakpo to support a trade up if guys like Selvie, Brown, and Johnson are avail at 10.

DraftBoy
12-28-2008, 10:41 PM
I dont know why you are so mad. Because of Pat Willis getting signed we were able to get Lynch and Pos.

Because we need a difference maker in our D and I think Curry is a perfect fit. Willis would of been great for this D. Much better than Poz, and I think Jackson could be as good as Lynch in different ways.

DraftBoy
12-28-2008, 10:41 PM
bradford is my guy. i would be happy with johnson or curry though.

No issue there either, I like all three of those kids!

Mr. Pink
12-28-2008, 10:42 PM
1st Mays
2nd Mack or Unger
3rd Clay Matthews

I wouldn't be upset at all if the first three rounds went down like that.

THATHURMANATOR
12-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Someone ANYONE who can get pressure on the QB...

DraftBoy
12-28-2008, 10:47 PM
1st Mays
2nd Mack or Unger
3rd Clay Matthews

I wouldn't be upset at all if the first three rounds went down like that.

I just dont see Unger staying at OT, but Mack may be there in Round 2, but I still dont like taking an OC that early. Matthews is an intriguing prospect, I want to see him run first before I buy into his hype at the moment.

elltrain22
12-28-2008, 11:00 PM
I would hope Curry slips to us, but if not.... I love, love, love Michael Johnson. He is tall, athletic, tremendous upside, and could be a star in this league. If, for some reason, he is off the board, then Selvie.

I maybe in the minority on this, but I wouldn't mind Sam Bradford either. I would want to see us draft a legit DE, but if we took Bradford, I wouldn't be upset w/ that.

MarvLevy
12-28-2008, 11:05 PM

GB doesnt need a LB..Do they?

VeggieMan14
12-28-2008, 11:08 PM
GB doesnt need a LB..Do they? they need a new defense

Romes
12-28-2008, 11:11 PM
Someone ANYONE who can get pressure on the QB...

This is how I feel.

TigerJ
12-28-2008, 11:12 PM
I'm not thrilled with Michael Johnson's lack of elite production and his lack of strength for such a tall guy, but he has terrific upside. I suspect he's not going to be as productive next season as you'd like, but if he has the dedication to make himself better, he could have a great career. In that respect, he's sort of like Mario Williams when he came out of college, except Mario Williams already had the college production and physical strength. Maybe Kiwanuka is a better comparison. I think long term he may have the pest potential of anyone Buffalo could pick, but I fear it's going to take a little time.

ServoBillieves
12-28-2008, 11:26 PM

Why the sad face?

Check my mock, I have us taking him

PECKERWOOD
12-28-2008, 11:39 PM
I just dont see Unger staying at OT, but Mack may be there in Round 2, but I still dont like taking an OC that early. Matthews is an intriguing prospect, I want to see him run first before I buy into his hype at the moment.

Somebody said earlier that they wanted a DE and LB in the 1st 2 round and you said that you didn't like being limited in that way.. Now if Mack is around in the 2nd, why is it any different? Especially if there aren't any other players there that truly stick out.

BILLSROCK1212
12-28-2008, 11:58 PM
Not a bad idea but for who exactly? Gresham? Maualuga?
couldn't tell you who OBD is very unpredictable and plenty of things will change between now and draft day

billogic99
12-29-2008, 12:30 AM
10. Buffalo-DE Michael Johnson-GT...or
...QB Sam Bradford-Oklahoma...or
...OC Alex Mack-Cal...or
...somebody else??

I think DE is a huge need for this team, can't complain about that choice.

BillsWin
12-29-2008, 12:37 AM
Anyone of em.

ServoBillieves
12-29-2008, 12:43 AM
QB Sam Bradford-Oklahoma
CB Vontae Davis-Illinois
S Taylor Mays-USC

? Taylor Mays is a freak athlete, but with the investment in Whitner and the emergence of Scott, if you want to go for an upgrade, don't go this early, go for Rashad Johnson from Alabama in the second or third.

CB I think with a healthy Greer/Youboty/McGee/McKelvin unit, we're golden.

QB... that's just not in the cards in the front office.

OpIv37
12-29-2008, 12:44 AM
Until we get some changes in the FO, it just doesn't matter. The current crop of morons will just squander the pick on someone who never pans out.

Devin
12-29-2008, 01:26 AM
The sad thing is I agree totally. I have little doubt the Bills will draft well, I am sure at 10 (again) we will draft a kid who will be a fantastic player.

But until things change on the coaching staff and in the FO it doesnt matter.

Devin
12-29-2008, 01:31 AM
10. Buffalo-DE Michael Johnson-GT...or
...QB Sam Bradford-Oklahoma...or
...OC Alex Mack-Cal...or
...somebody else??

Honestly DB I think we could take any player and it wouldnt hurt us.

Right now I am hoping for Curry or Johnson.

Dujek
12-29-2008, 04:03 AM
It's either Johnson, Selvie or Maualuga. Anything other than a DE or MLB is a waste of a pick.

patmoran2006
12-29-2008, 06:40 AM

Dont know alot about him, and he may be the next Ronnie Lott.

But I will kill someone if we take another safety this high in the draft again, when we need a DE, OLB, C or TE more.

DraftBoy
12-29-2008, 07:10 AM
But I will kill someone if we take another safety this high in the draft again, when we need a DE, OLB, C or TE more.

We need a FS as bad as we need a DE or OLB. The Cover 2 is predicated on the safeties being able to actually cover a player to give the CB's umbrella protection.

DraftBoy
12-29-2008, 07:12 AM
I'm not thrilled with Michael Johnson's lack of elite production and his lack of strength for such a tall guy, but he has terrific upside. I suspect he's not going to be as productive next season as you'd like, but if he has the dedication to make himself better, he could have a great career. In that respect, he's sort of like Mario Williams when he came out of college, except Mario Williams already had the college production and physical strength. Maybe Kiwanuka is a better comparison. I think long term he may have the pest potential of anyone Buffalo could pick, but I fear it's going to take a little time.
Good post and I agree but my question is with the bolded part? What exactly about him shows lack of strength? All reports say that he was one of the stronger DLmen on Tech's squad, he definitely could use some work on his bull rush technique but I didnt think at any point he has looked weak. Im curious to know where you see his lack of strength to be.

DraftBoy
12-29-2008, 07:16 AM
Somebody said earlier that they wanted a DE and LB in the 1st 2 round and you said that you didn't like being limited in that way.. Now if Mack is around in the 2nd, why is it any different? Especially if there aren't any other players there that truly stick out.

I have no doubt there will be other players that truly stick out. Im not a fan of taking any OC in Rounds 1 or 2. I wouldnt of liked taking Mangold and look how he turned out. Big difference between Mangold and Mack though. I definitely don't like taking a guy who is a great run blocker but an good pass blocker. For you to be an OC and to be worth a 1st or 2nd Round pick you need to be great at both facets not just one. I think in my top 50 that I just did a rough draft of I have Mack somewhere in the 40's. I dont like him near where some other people on this board do.

DraftBoy
12-29-2008, 07:18 AM
QB Sam Bradford-Oklahoma
CB Vontae Davis-Illinois
S Taylor Mays-USC

? Taylor Mays is a freak athlete, but with the investment in Whitner and the emergence of Scott, if you want to go for an upgrade, don't go this early, go for Rashad Johnson from Alabama in the second or third.

Greer is a UFA this season

Scott has done nothing special to make me not want to improve the position and after Whitner's sad excuse for a season I dont see the investment in him being worth it either. I do like Johnson though.

DraftBoy
12-29-2008, 07:19 AM
It's either Johnson, Selvie or Maualuga. Anything other than a DE or MLB is a waste of a pick.

So you think MLB is a bigger need than OLB? Im guessing you would move Poz outside?

DraftBoy
12-29-2008, 07:19 AM
Dont know alot about him, and he may be the next Ronnie Lott.

Talk about way overshooting a prospect! Comparing him to the next Lott, right after you admit to not knowing much about him??

TacklingDummy
12-29-2008, 07:23 AM
Best DE available.

mysticsoto
12-29-2008, 07:27 AM
Greer is a UFA this season

Scott has done nothing special to make me not want to improve the position and after Whitner's sad excuse for a season I dont see the investment in him being worth it either. I do like Johnson though.

Fine, Whitner didn't have a great season...neither did anyone on the Dline save Stroud who was often double or triple teamed. Upgrade that Dline and the secondary will look alot better. And I disagree with you that CB might be a good pick (atleast on the 1st day). Dline is the biggest hole followed by Center and then closely by OLB & TE. DB need ranks much lower than those. According to you, WR is even probably a bigger need though I don't view it that way. Yeah, it would be great to have a better FS, but Whitner is probably satisfactory for now with Scott on SS. It's not an elite pair, but it is certainly serviceable IF the Dline could actually do their job!!! Without that, Ed Reed would look like a flop. We do get Youboty back next year who was looking pretty good pre-injury. If we felt the need for more at CB, we could re-sign Greer and Corner has looked decent also in his rookie season.

Let's concentrate on the HUGE holes 1st. Upgrade that Dline and dump Kelsay - even with the cap hit. Kelsay is dead weight!!!

TacklingDummy
12-29-2008, 07:32 AM
Upgrade that Dline and the secondary will look alot better.

Agreed. Pressure on the QB = Turnovers.

DraftBoy
12-29-2008, 07:40 AM
Fine, Whitner didn't have a great season...neither did anyone on the Dline save Stroud who was often double or triple teamed. Upgrade that Dline and the secondary will look alot better. And I disagree with you that CB might be a good pick (atleast on the 1st day). Dline is the biggest hole followed by Center and then closely by OLB & TE. DB need ranks much lower than those. According to you, WR is even probably a bigger need though I don't view it that way. Yeah, it would be great to have a better FS, but Whitner is probably satisfactory for now with Scott on SS. It's not an elite pair, but it is certainly serviceable IF the Dline could actually do their job!!! Without that, Ed Reed would look like a flop. We do get Youboty back next year who was looking pretty good pre-injury. If we felt the need for more at CB, we could re-sign Greer and Corner has looked decent also in his rookie season.

Let's concentrate on the HUGE holes 1st. Upgrade that Dline and dump Kelsay - even with the cap hit. Kelsay is dead weight!!!

I know what the holes are but I dont pick just based on our holes. If a kid like Vontae Davis falls to 10, you'd be stupid to not at least consider him, especially if an Johnson and Orakpo are gone a long with Curry. Then who is the pick? Its not so easy to think about then. Like I said before McGee is getting older and is only signed through 2010 (I think, not sure), Greer is already a UFA and I dont know if Corner will ever have the skills to be a good CB in the league.

However you are forgetting a key thing here, while yes more pressure will cause turnovers and Ive never dismissed that, however having two competent safeties back there in the Cover 2 doing their job will allow your CB's to take more chances on jumping routes because they'll have over the top help, unlike this year. So even without pressure one could argue you could create more turnovers with a better defensive backfield.

Since when is satisfactory and average acceptable in any regard?? Im so sick and tired of hearing Bills fans settle for guys because they like them or because they don't completely suck ass. Average players don't win you championships, playmakers do. That's what we need and we need a decent number of them on both sides of the ball. Not a bunch of average guys who will leaves us being mediocre like we have now.

mysticsoto
12-29-2008, 07:42 AM
I know what the holes are but I dont pick just based on our holes. If a kid like Vontae Davis falls to 10, you'd be stupid to not at least consider him, especially if an Johnson and Orakpo are gone a long with Curry. Then who is the pick? Its not so easy to think about then. Like I said before McGee is getting older and is only signed through 2010 (I think, not sure), Greer is already a UFA and I dont know if Corner will ever have the skills to be a good CB in the league.

However you are forgetting a key thing here, while yes more pressure will cause turnovers and Ive never dismissed that, however having two competent safeties back there in the Cover 2 doing their job will allow your CB's to take more chances on jumping routes because they'll have over the top help, unlike this year. So even without pressure one could argue you could create more turnovers with a better defensive backfield.

Since when is satisfactory and average acceptable in any regard?? Im so sick and tired of hearing Bills fans settle for guys because they like them or because they don't completely suck ass. Average players don't win you championships, playmakers do. That's what we need and we need a decent number of them on both sides of the ball. Not a bunch of average guys who will leaves us being mediocre like we have now.
Since the Dline became WAY unsatisfactory and WAY BELOW being acceptable!!!

DraftBoy
12-29-2008, 07:45 AM
Since the Dline became WAY unsatisfactory and WAY BELOW being acceptable!!!

That makes no sense at all and you know it. You never ever accept mediocrity at any position. We have to upgrade our DE spot, but we also have the upgrade our OLB, MLB, FS, and SS spots too. A DE isn't simply going to solve all our problems magically.

BillyT92679
12-29-2008, 07:45 AM
The Bills are picking 11, not 10. The 49ers are picking 10 due to having a worse strength of schedule.

DraftBoy
12-29-2008, 07:48 AM
The Bills are picking 11, not 10. The 49ers are picking 10 due to having a worse strength of schedule.

Is that official? By worse strength of schedule you mean, harder schedule??

mysticsoto
12-29-2008, 07:58 AM
That makes no sense at all and you know it. You never ever accept mediocrity at any position. We have to upgrade our DE spot, but we also have the upgrade our OLB, MLB, FS, and SS spots too. A DE isn't simply going to solve all our problems magically.

We have to upgrade biggest need 1st - that should make perfect sense to anybody. FS/SS or CB is a MUCH smaller need. Anybody that doesn't see this is bound to repeat the same mediocrity next year. You can get the top Safety in the draft and our defense will improve very little without Dline help. Yes, there are plenty of spots to upgrade, and when our offense is among the lowest in the league in scoring, we can't forget them also - which drops the safety position even more on the list!!!

That's not saying I'm satisfied with our safetys current performance, that's saying there are bigger needs!

DraftBoy
12-29-2008, 08:07 AM
We have to upgrade biggest need 1st - that should make perfect sense to anybody. FS/SS or CB is a MUCH smaller need. Anybody that doesn't see this is bound to repeat the same mediocrity next year. You can get the top Safety in the draft and our defense will improve very little without Dline help. Yes, there are plenty of spots to upgrade, and when our offense is among the lowest in the league in scoring, we can't forget them also - which drops the safety position even more on the list!!!

That's not saying I'm satisfied with our safetys current performance, that's saying there are bigger needs!

So you answer then is to reach to fill in bigger needs (in your mind) rather than take players (who also fills needs) who would be of better value at the position. Im sorry but I can't support that kind of a position.

THATHURMANATOR
12-29-2008, 08:12 AM
DB are you saying the DE available at 10 would be a reach?

BillyT92679
12-29-2008, 08:12 AM
Is that official? By worse strength of schedule you mean, harder schedule??
Yes, it was on ESPN this morning (Todd McShay's mock) The Niners finished higher because they did as poorly as the Bills while playing an EASIER slate of games.

patmoran2006
12-29-2008, 08:17 AM
Gotta change this thread title.

We're officially picking 11th, again.

mysticsoto
12-29-2008, 08:24 AM
So you answer then is to reach to fill in bigger needs (in your mind) rather than take players (who also fills needs) who would be of better value at the position. Im sorry but I can't support that kind of a position.

Who said I would reach? Picking at #10 or #11 should allow us to get the 2nd or 3rd best available DE. I don't think either would be a reach at that position, and it is debateable which ones might be available. You don't even like Orakpo, yet you have him going early in all your mock drafts now. I don't think he will be available to us either, but in your eyes, you should be happy that that is likely to have your preferred DE fall to us. If you're concocting some unlikely scenario of the top DEs all gone by #11 I would find that hard to believe and am not going to plan for each unlikely scenario that you can conjure up...

DraftBoy
12-29-2008, 08:45 AM
DB are you saying the DE available at 10 would be a reach?

Im saying a DE other than Johnson or Orakpo would be yes.

DraftBoy
12-29-2008, 08:45 AM
Gotta change this thread title.

We're officially picking 11th, again.

Fixed and Fixed.

DraftBoy
12-29-2008, 08:54 AM
Who said I would reach? Picking at #10 or #11 should allow us to get the 2nd or 3rd best available DE. I don't think either would be a reach at that position, and it is debateable which ones might be available. You don't even like Orakpo, yet you have him going early in all your mock drafts now. I don't think he will be available to us either, but in your eyes, you should be happy that that is likely to have your preferred DE fall to us. If you're concocting some unlikely scenario of the top DEs all gone by #11 I would find that hard to believe and am not going to plan for each unlikely scenario that you can conjure up...

The 3rd best DE (who is that in your mind) is a big time drop off from Johnson or Orakpo who both could realistically be gone. Its not that I dont like Orakpo either because I do, I just dont see him as valuable as some others have him. I think he'd be a good addition to our team at 11, but I want a guy who is stouter against the run. The guy I really want won't be coming out this year, so thats a pipe dream at this point.

How is it unlikely to think that Orakpo and Johnson will be gone? You agree that Orakpo may not be avail and given that Johnson can play the 3-4 or 4-3 he is a pick a lot of team like SF, GB, SEA, CIN, or OAK could all have interest in.

mysticsoto
12-29-2008, 09:08 AM
The 3rd best DE (who is that in your mind) is a big time drop off from Johnson or Orakpo who both could realistically be gone. Its not that I dont like Orakpo either because I do, I just dont see him as valuable as some others have him. I think he'd be a good addition to our team at 11, but I want a guy who is stouter against the run. The guy I really want won't be coming out this year, so thats a pipe dream at this point.

How is it unlikely to think that Orakpo and Johnson will be gone? You agree that Orakpo may not be avail and given that Johnson can play the 3-4 or 4-3 he is a pick a lot of team like SF, GB, SEA, CIN, or OAK could all have interest in.

Tyson Jackson will be grabbed for a 3-4 position also, so you can include him in the mix. I doubt OAK takes a DE though their GM is so erratic, they could take anything...

Nevertheless, if somehow we didn't end up with a viable DE, then logically LB would be next given that Crowell is as good as gone and Ellison is probably a good backup rather than starter...moving Poz to OLB could be a consideration also is we like a particular ILB like Maualaga who is a hard hitter and might be better at shedding blocks. And the question can always rise...are we sold on Trent ? Is his arm that weak that the OC didn't have enough confidence in him to hardly throw in that 1st half with the wind yesterday???

There will be options. We don't have to assume that we might have to take a CB or even S when its need level is quite low on our current list compared to other positions.

djjimkelly
12-29-2008, 09:38 AM
if bradford is one spot away we should make trade to get him. i want a legit QB for once in 15 years

BILLSROCK1212
12-29-2008, 10:28 AM
could've sworn i heard yesterday on espn we had the easiest SOS but it doesnt surprise me that the 49ers have one easier than us considering the division they play in

The Jokeman
12-29-2008, 11:20 AM
I'd love to trade down. Specifically love to get pick 1.20 (that's round 1 pick 20) and 3.1 from Detroit or 1.X and 2.15 from the New York Giants.

If the draft fell the way it was proposed and we don't trade down I'd take Michael Johnson as DE with his size and pass rushing ability would give us a guy that could be an answer at Left DE and/or situational pass rusher eventual replacement of Aaron Schobel. Yet in all honesty think his draft stock is going to raise as we get closer to April and probably end up a top 5 pick.

If we were to make one of my proposed trades then the pick wouldn't be as crystal clear yet would look for a possible OLB (assuming Crowell isn't re-signed), TE or OC.

Of course before discussing the draft we should really discuss free agency first IMHO.

TheBrownBear
12-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Selvie. I want a darn DE!

THATHURMANATOR
12-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Im saying a DE other than Johnson or Orakpo would be yes.
What are our chances of landing either?

TacklingDummy
12-29-2008, 11:35 AM
could've sworn i heard yesterday on espn we had the easiest SOS but it doesnt surprise me that the 49ers have one easier than us considering the division they play in

Great, the 49ers get to screw us again by picking 1 pick ahead of the Bills.

DraftBoy
12-29-2008, 11:39 AM
What are our chances of landing either?

Id say its 50/50 at this point.

THATHURMANATOR
12-29-2008, 11:43 AM
We need to trade up then.

Mr. Pink
12-29-2008, 12:17 PM
We really can't go wrong with where we sit this year...

With our holes a top tier talent will be available at numerous positions...

Mays at S
Gresham at TE
Maualuga at LB
Orkapo at DE
Vontae Davis at CB - seeing Greer is likely gone
BJ Raji at DT - imagine having him and Stroud next to each other on the line

We could still trade down a few spots and be able to get one of these three DEs
Johnson, Jackson or Brown. Or Peria Jerry at DT.

I'm very excited about this draft class, while there isn't a sure top flight stud, it's very deep with NFL ready talent.

THATHURMANATOR
12-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Why do we need a CB? Even if Greer is gone we have Mcgee and Leodis. Solid 1/2. Corner looked ok and What about Youboty. I say keep him for sure. I am not sure if it was a coincidence or not but when he went out the teams slide began.

Mr. Pink
12-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Why do we need a CB? Even if Greer is gone we have Mcgee and Leodis. Solid 1/2. Corner looked ok and What about Youboty. I say keep him for sure. I am not sure if it was a coincidence or not but when he went out the teams slide began.

I still think McGee is best suited to be a nickle corner.

I don't find this to be the biggest need on the team to get a bonafide 1 or 2 corner, depending on Leodis, but it is a need at some point.

Obviously C, DE, DT, LB, S, TE are this team's biggest needs.

But none of the centers are worthy of being picked at 11.

Hopefully Mack, Unger or Luigs is available in round 2.

Dujek
12-29-2008, 12:23 PM
So you think MLB is a bigger need than OLB? Im guessing you would move Poz outside?

Yeah, I think Poz is getting manhandled in the middle, and would stand a better chance of making plays on the outside. I think we need a monster of an MLB one way or another this offseason, and if we can't get Ray Lewis in Free Agency (I can dream, right?) then we need to draft one.

BillsWin
12-29-2008, 12:25 PM
...OC Alex Mack-Cal...or
...somebody else??

I like an Maualuga, but Id really like a michael johnson pick here. Mack can be passed on because you can get Caldwell later. Taylor Mays is a stud too...

There are some good picks, but for me it all depends on how free agency goes.

X-Era
12-29-2008, 02:28 PM
...OC Alex Mack-Cal...or
...somebody else??

Are you positive we are picking 11th? How are you sure? whats the tie-breaker?

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/12/29/draft-order-falling-into-place/

Anways, prior to the last FSU game, I would say Brown over Johnson. But he didnt look that great. The sack, FF was nice, I just wish I saw more. To me, its probably Johnson.

I would not mind Laurinitis if we feel Poz can move out to OLB. But that also assumes we stay with the Cover 2.

The guy you didnt mention is William Moore, who I like better than Mays. I just am not sure I want a DB that high.

TigerJ
12-29-2008, 03:37 PM
The Great Blue North Draft Report has Buffalo at #11, and they've been pretty reliable over the years. When I added up opponents wins and losses, Buffalo's opponents were better than San Fran's, aand I know they go by strength of schedule. That's also indicated at the gbnreport.

http://www.gbnreport.com/weeklydraftorder.html

PECKERWOOD
12-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Maualuga, ILB, USC - Emotional leader of USC's offense and a playmaker too.

dasaybz
12-29-2008, 08:05 PM
I'll take Rey.

I want a crazy mother****er on this team that brings some attitude.

dasaybz
12-29-2008, 08:07 PM
I'd take a look at BJ Raji also. It's very hard to say who's going to be available in the draft without the underclassmen declaring also.

acattack15
12-29-2008, 08:53 PM
Just Watch this and then tell me who we should pick if Orakpo and Johnson and Curry are gone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXJJ14HL5EE

E Brown is a beast. Kid can play. Watch his game against Maryland, he completely rapes them!! Monster

DraftBoy
12-29-2008, 08:58 PM
Just Watch this and then tell me who we should pick if Orakpo and Johnson and Curry are gone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXJJ14HL5EE

E Brown is a beast. Kid can play. Watch his game against Maryland, he completely rapes them!! Monster

That's kind of part of his problem. His consistency in not there. He went sackless in 7 games this year, thats more than half the games he played in. His sacks come in bunches which is good and against good teams (Maryland, VT, Clemson) he played good games and made his presence felt but in games v. Miami, GT, Florida, Wisconsin, and NC State he was pretty much non-existent. He needs another year in school more than anything right now.

elltrain22
12-29-2008, 10:17 PM
Everette Brown is a beast as well!! Nice highlights!! Either way, we're in a great spot to get a guy that can really help us out; immediately

Bmax
12-30-2008, 12:13 AM
If we don't draft the best front seven player on defense then we deserve to miss the playoffs again...

A DB in RD 1 would be pure stupidity

Brown -DE Florida St.

Bmax

SABURZFAN
12-30-2008, 01:08 AM
...OC Alex Mack-Cal...or
...somebody else??

Mack, Mays, and Laurinaitis would be too high to pick at 11 IMO. a DE is an obvious team need so i would say Michael Johnson.

Mr. Cynical
12-30-2008, 01:25 AM

Seriously..that, or another midget at WR....

IMO, we need (in order):

Pass rushing DE. We don't get pressure. Period. Schobel will be back but he needs a complement on the other side.
A WR over 5'10" AND who can catch (unlike Hardy who has two bricks attached to his forearms)
A center who can count.
Another QB. Hate to say it but I just don't have faith that TE can take the licks and stay in there.

jamze132
12-30-2008, 03:48 AM
We got holes at FS, SS and Nickle corner and who knows how much longer McGee will be a good CB for, he'll be 29 next season. Plus a huge hole at OLB. I dont just think a big DE is going to fix all our other ills.
And neither will picking another DB. We need to get our lines better before branching out.

jamze132
12-30-2008, 03:52 AM
QB Sam Bradford-Oklahoma
CB Vontae Davis-Illinois
S Taylor Mays-USC

Emergence of Scott? Are you serious? Am I the only fan that thinks Scott sucks?

And I'm not trying to nitpick here but the group of Greer/Youboty/McGee/McKelvin is far from golden. I would say more of a bronze tone. But I like the unit and would love to keep them together.

We don't need to draft another DB until we can blitz the QB with D-linemen.

jamze132
12-30-2008, 03:59 AM

Post of the entire thread! :clap:

X-Era
12-30-2008, 07:08 AM
Emergence of Scott? Are you serious? Am I the only fan that thinks Scott sucks?

And I'm not trying to nitpick here but the group of Greer/Youboty/McGee/McKelvin is far from golden. I would say more of a bronze tone. But I like the unit and would love to keep them together.

We don't need to draft another DB until we can blitz the QB with D-linemen.

No your not.

Scott was one of the ones that got blown by on the Jordan TD run

DraftBoy
12-30-2008, 07:21 AM
And neither will picking another DB. We need to get our lines better before branching out.

Nobody said it would either, but taking the mentality that are lines will solve our issues will cause us more harm then good. We've done that before. We reached for John McCargo, do you wish to see the same mistake repeated??

You cannot at 11 take the next DE avail if the value is not worth the 11th pick its that simple. If Johnson and Orakpo are gone, then you have to pray Curry falls, if all three are gone then the pick likely won't be DE, and hopefully won't be OLB because nobody at this positions who would be left is worth that pick. The ideal situation at that point would be to trade down but to reach for a DE like Hardy, Brown, etc. would be dumb. You don't reach for a need, you pick from what the draft gives you.

jamze132
12-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Nobody said it would either, but taking the mentality that are lines will solve our issues will cause us more harm then good. We've done that before. We reached for John McCargo, do you wish to see the same mistake repeated??

No I don't want to reach, I want our FO to do a better job at evaluating talent.

You cannot at 11 take the next DE avail if the value is not worth the 11th pick its that simple. If Johnson and Orakpo are gone, then you have to pray Curry falls, if all three are gone then the pick likely won't be DE, and hopefully won't be OLB because nobody at this positions who would be left is worth that pick. The ideal situation at that point would be to trade down but to reach for a DE like Hardy, Brown, etc. would be dumb. You don't reach for a need, you pick from what the draft gives you.

Dude, it's way to early to even predict who will take who. FA starts before the draft and some of the teams in front of us may fill their biggest needs before the draft even starts and take someone from left field. Then it would throw your mock into a frenzy. We aren't trading down either, you can take that to the bank.

Boomstick
12-30-2008, 12:31 PM
That is, if we could put their last names on the front of their jerseys.