• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PECKERWOOD
    Defies all logic
    • Oct 2006

Make the Switch to the 3-4

Do you guys think we could make the switch to the 3-4? If you really think about this, the move would make PERFECT sense for our current situation. Honestly? Our current DE's are a JOKE and OVERPAID so it's not like we would have to replace a Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis.. Trade Schobel for a 3rd and cut Kelsay. We would have gotten a 4th from Indy for McCargo if he had passed the physical, so don't tell me that a 3rd for Schobel is farfetched. Plus, we would have ALOT more cap room with Schobel gone, he would look great in a Chiefs or Bengals uniform, imo. I personally think that Stroud could play NT in the 3-4. The rest of my offseason would look like this:

Dick gets cut off.

Hire Mangini as Head Coach.

Perry runs out of Fuel.

Hire Dom Capers as DC.

Put a fork in the turkey.

Hire Mike Munchak as OC.

--------- Free Agents ------------

Sign WR, T.J. Houshmandzadeh

Sign TE, Desmond Clark

Sign LB, Bart Scott.

Trade DE, Aaron Schobel to Cincinnati for a 3rd round draft choice.

Release DE, Kelsay.

----- Draft ------

Rd1.) Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC
    Rd2.) Sen'Derrick Marks, DT/DE, Auburn
    Rd3a.) Jonathan Luigs, C, Arkansas
    Rd3b.) Fili Moala, DT/DE, USC
    Rd4.) Marcus Freeman, OLB, OSU
    Rd5.) BPA
    Rd6.) BPA
    Rd7.) BPA

Defense

--DL--

Marks, Stroud, Williams

--LB--

Scott, Maualuga, Posluszny, Mitchell

Offense

--OL--

Peters, Dockery, Luigs, Butler, Walker

--WR--

Houshmandzadeh, Evans, Reed, Johnson, Parrish (Hardy on IR )

--TE--

Clark, Royal, Fine

I think with that setup we would be a team in the hunt for the Wildcard. I'm so fuggin sick of the Cover 2, we needa can that scheme fast. Thoughts?
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Re: Make the Switch to the 3-4

Ah, if this were a one team league like baseball where the Yankees can just buy their team every year.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

Nobody is going to take on Schobels salary at his age, much less give us a decent draft choice..

We wont get into a bidding war for a WR like TJ or anyone for that matter when we just locked up Evans to a lot of money.

I highly doubt we change either coordinator, especially defensively. Especially if April ends up being the next HC like I see happening.

I'd love Scott, so would plenty of other teams.

About the only pickup you mentioned that could be realistic, and I've also thought about -- is Desmond Clark. He's not by any means elite at tight end, but he's a significant upgrade over Royal and with Olsen in Chi-town, he def won't be back.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
        Defies all logic
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Ebenezer
        Ah, if this were a one team league like baseball where the Yankees can just buy their team every year.
        I bet you that keeping Schobel and Kelsay would cost more than releasing them and picking up Houshmazoo, Scott and Clark.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
          Defies all logic
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by patmoran2006
          Nobody is going to take on Schobels salary at his age, much less give us a decent draft choice..

We wont get into a bidding war for a WR like TJ or anyone for that matter when we just locked up Evans to a lot of money.

I highly doubt we change either coordinator, especially defensively. Especially if April ends up being the next HC like I see happening.

I'd love Scott, so would plenty of other teams.

About the only pickup you mentioned that could be realistic, and I've also thought about -- is Desmond Clark. He's not by any means elite at tight end, but he's a significant upgrade over Royal and with Olsen in Chi-town, he def won't be back.

Ralph said that this team lacks talent, I expect him to bring a couple flashy acquisitions. Ralph maybe a bad owner but he typically sticks to his word.

Comment

• colin
            Drew's my hero!
            • Jul 2002

why blow up what we have? there are plenty of different ways to run a 4-3, we don't have the line for a 3-4 or the linebackers, and there are good 4-3s and bad 3-4s, so lets just suck it up and get a pass rusher and linebacker or two.

philly nyg and the titans are ok on D.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
              Defies all logic
              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by colin
              why blow up what we have? there are plenty of different ways to run a 4-3, we don't have the line for a 3-4 or the linebackers, and there are good 4-3s and bad 3-4s, so lets just suck it up and get a pass rusher and linebacker or two.

philly nyg and the titans are ok on D.
              I know, colin. Ugh, I just really miss the 3-4! At the very least I would like to see us run a combination of the 4-3, 3-4 and 46 kinda like the Ravens do. I just don't think that the Cover 2 scheme that we are running is a good fit for us. I want a defense that is fantastic at stopping the run because Lord knows that teams wont be trying to throw on you late in the year at RWS. 3-4 is perfect for our conditions, IMHO.

Comment

• superbills
                • Mar 2003

I'd settle for having our offense just learn how to play AGAINST the 3-4. Actually, maybe that's a good reason to switch defensive schemes. We can practice against it in our cushy little Ralphy House.
                "The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."
                Ronald Reagan
                40th president of US (1911 - 2004)

Comment

• colin
                  Drew's my hero!
                  • Jul 2002

some slight tweaks and a pass rusher and LB and our D could kick ass as is.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                    Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

No thanks on Mangina

Comment

• yordad
                      • Dec 2007

Way to good to be true. We still have to extend Peters and keep Jackson. I'm with ya, but I don't think we can add  Houshmandzadeh too.

And, I don't really like the idea of handing a rookie DE a starting job with no depth.

I like the idea a lot, but it is a bit of a project. We would really have to hire coaches that have a proven track record, IMO.

Dom Capers for D-coordinator would be awesome in this scenario. But, I'm not completely sold on Mangini's ability to builda 3-4.  Plus, by "build" I mean we need someone with personnel power and experience. 
                      "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• yordad
                        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by superbills
                        I'd settle for having our offense just learn how to play AGAINST the 3-4. Actually, maybe that's a good reason to switch defensive schemes. We can practice against it in our cushy little Ralphy House.
                        You would think at some point the league wouldn't be used to the cover 2, with offenses adapting for the 3-4. By the time we make a transition, the cover 2 could be the most dominate again.
                        "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Mitchell55
                          only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
                          • Feb 2008

I like the idea but the only problem is that you need 3 great LBs for that to work and 1 decent. Pos looks like a bust, Mitchell looks like a pro bowler 1 game and a horrible signing another, Ellison looks like a converted RB to LB. We basically need a Suggs and Curry to make that work and its to much for something that doesnt realy need to be changed.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                            Defies all logic
                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Mitchell59
                            I like the idea but the only problem is that you need 3 great LBs for that to work and 1 decent. Pos looks like a bust, Mitchell looks like a pro bowler 1 game and a horrible signing another, Ellison looks like a converted RB to LB. We basically need a Suggs and Curry to make that work and its to much for something that doesnt realy need to be changed.
                            Baltimore has 3 key FA LB's, are you telling me that we couldn't snag one of them? Suggs, Scott and Lewis are ALL FA's this offseason, no way Baltimore locks them all up. I just think that the timing is right, seeing as how we have an elite DT in Stroud who could pretty much play any system and we also have 2 overpaid and undersized DE's that need to go. If you look at it from this perspective, we need two new DE's anyways, so we could just as easily make them DE's who fit the 3-4 system.

Comment

• Jeff1220
                              H to the 12:20
                              • Jul 2002

Housh would actually be the perfect compliment to Lee. I'd love to see that, but like most Bills fans these days I'm realistically pessimistic.

Comment

Working...
                              X