PDA

View Full Version : UB’s Starks catches eye of NFL draft maven

THATHURMANATOR
12-30-2008, 08:08 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/535902.html

James Starks was surprised to hear that NFL draft maven Mel Kiper, Jr., currently has him slated as a late first-round pick or an early second-rounder in 2010.

“Man, that’s crazy,” Starks said. “I didn’t hear that. That’s great for him to say something like that.”

But the University at Buffalo junior tailback from Niagara Falls graciously laughs off talk of the NFL draft, be it 2009 or 2010. As the Mid-American Conference champion Bulls prepare for Big East foe Connecticut, Starks contends his focus is on Saturday’s International Bowl.

“I don’t know anything about the draft or how they do things,” Starks said. “I’m just going in the game and play hard and do what I have to do. I don’t even think about it.”

Starks knows an exceptional performance in the International Bowl could be a springboard to individual accolades for next season. But it’s still surprising for Starks that he’s even considered an NFL prospect. But there’s a possibility he could explore his pro stock by submitting paperwork to the NFL draft advisory committee.

“We haven’t talked about those types of things. We’re still focusing on the UConn game,” said UB coach Turner Gill. “If he wants to explore that, we’ll explore it for him.”

The 6-foot-2, 211-pound Starks put himself in this position by elevating his game over the last half of the season. He’s led the Bulls in rushing the last three seasons and to the conference title with an 8-5 record. But

over the last six games, Starks has rushed for 793 yards and 11 touchdowns. For the year, Starks has 1,308 yards and 15 TDs, despite missing 2z 3/4 1/2 me 1/3 because of injuries.

“He’s a fabulous player and the kid is the best athlete I’ve ever been around,” said senior quarterback Drew Willy. “He can do it all on the field — run, catch, throw — he’s a total athlete. He started at quarterback but he’s become one of the top running backs in the country.”

Now comes the International Bowl and another national audience on ESPN2 against the Big East’s No. 2 ranked defense.

“He knows how to be a running back now and before he was relying on his athletic ability,” Willy said. “There’s not many things he can’t do on the field. I get a great seat to watch him do a lot of special things. When he takes off and puts his foot in the ground, there’s nobody better in the country.”

Starks hasn’t given much thought to filing paperwork to the NFL draft advisory committee and the deadline to enter the NFL draft is Jan. 15. It is a thin year for running backs and Kiper lists only Georgia’s Knowshon Moreno and Ohio State’s Chris Wells, who are both underclassmen, as possible first-round picks.

hydro
12-30-2008, 08:16 AM
That is awesome. Didn't think he was that highly regarded!

Night Train
12-30-2008, 08:21 AM
He's extremely fast and can turn 6 into 60 in the blink of an eye. Great effort guy.

His one part of the game he must work on is his upright running style. Has a tendency to let the opposition strip the ball out of his hands too often. Must protect the ball better.

DraftBoy
12-30-2008, 08:40 AM
I got him as a 3rd Rounder next year, another year like this one and he could easily be where Kiper sees him but I dont see him as a 1st Rounder as of right now. Anything could happen though.

THATHURMANATOR
12-30-2008, 09:24 AM
I got him as a 3rd Rounder next year, another year like this one and he could easily be where Kiper sees him but I dont see him as a 1st Rounder as of right now. Anything could happen though.
You are probably right. Maybe Kiper's ranking is dependent on another solid senior season.

DraftBoy
12-30-2008, 09:37 AM
You are probably right. Maybe Kiper's ranking is dependent on another solid senior season.

Keep in mind if he leaves early he'll be a top back the Senior RB class is extremely weak. Shonn Greene is probably the top back right now and he's a junior. Starks would probably be in the top 3.

TigerJ
12-30-2008, 09:43 PM
I think he runs about a 4.5 40 which is good speed for a RB. It's not elite speed by any means. He'll do himself a favor by staying in school for his senior season.

DraftBoy
12-30-2008, 09:51 PM
I think he runs about a 4.5 40 which is good speed for a RB. It's not elite speed by any means. He'll do himself a favor by staying in school for his senior season.

Completely agree, I really think he needs to stay in school another year.

eyedog
12-31-2008, 12:04 AM
Damn 1st rd. ?
I fiqured he would get drafted in the 5th or 6th rd.
His running style reminds me of Eric Dickerson.

DraftBoy
12-31-2008, 07:12 AM
Damn 1st rd. ?
I fiqured he would get drafted in the 5th or 6th rd.
His running style reminds me of Eric Dickerson.

Very underrate back that is getting noticed with UB having all the success they are having. He is probably the most highly touted prospect on that squad with Naaman Roosevelt and Davante Shannon close behind him.