PDA

View Full Version : Your Feelings about April as Next H.C.

patmoran2006
12-30-2008, 08:21 AM
Let’s just assume that I’m right about the Bills head coaching situation, and the Bills end up firing or “reassigning” Jauron to the FO and make Bobby April the next head coach.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
What would your feelings be about that?

My feeling is its putting band aid over a deep gash. To me, it’s a 100% financial move by Ralph, knowing it would be FAR less to pay April for a promotion than to go outside the organization. It also certainly keeps Fewel and possibly Turk on the payroll so <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Wilson</st1:place></st1:City> doesn’t have to eat those salaries too.<o:p></o:p>
Anyway, that’s my opinion. .What would YOUR opinion be?<o:p></o:p>

Mr. Pink
12-30-2008, 08:23 AM
My opinion is to fire him.

He obviously has WAY TOO MUCH influence over some of the stiffs this team brings in.

Seriously, does any team besides us keep guys like Blake Costanzo, Jon Corto and Justin Jenkins on their rosters?

Having a great special teams is wonderful but not when it comes at the expense of the other two more important units, ya know, the offense and defense.

patmoran2006
12-30-2008, 08:28 AM
I think there is a ZERO percent chance the Bills clean house.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Jauron could (and better be) fired, but there is NO WAY Wilson is going out and hiring someone brand new outside the organization that is going to bring in his own set of coaches. There is no chance <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Wilson</st1:place></st1:City> is going to let Turk, Fewel and especially April among other assistants get fired and have to pay them because they’re still under contract. To my knowledge, none of them have their contract expire this offseason.<o:p></o:p>
That’s why people talking about other candidates in my opinion should get that thought of their head. I say its either Jauron or April on the sideline next year, and if by some chance I’m wrong it will be a first time, puppet coach that will at the very least, agree to keep most if not all the coaches on board for at least another year.<o:p></o:p>

HHURRICANE
12-30-2008, 08:40 AM
Bobby April is such a genius but he couldn't figure out how to cover onside kicks when it mattered.

Add to the fact that we keep getting players that can only play special teams and I don't understand what the lovefest is with this guy.

I actually think the Bills would be better without him.

Parrish, McGee, and McKelvin can return kicks with any special teams coordinator back there.

mysticsoto
12-30-2008, 08:42 AM
My opinion is to fire him.

He obviously has WAY TOO MUCH influence over some of the stiffs this team brings in.

Seriously, does any team besides us keep guys like Blake Costanzo, Jon Corto and Justin Jenkins on their rosters?

Having a great special teams is wonderful but not when it comes at the expense of the other two more important units, ya know, the offense and defense.

I think you bring up a ridiculous pt. STs has a great influence on games and you always need backups. Bringing in backups that can produce in STs is smart and virtually every team that pays attention to their ST personnel does it. What difference does it make to the regular game? A #5 WR is not likely to see much play time in the regular offense...nor are the #5 and #6 LBs. Don't blame April or these backups for what the starters haven't been able to accomplish nor the inability of this coach to game plan some wins. They have nothing to do with that. What they do have responsibility for is having field position fall to our favor. And overall, the STs did pretty good (though not as great as last year) in given the offense a little advantage - which they sadly, rarely took advantage of while at the same time, doing a good job defending returns. Rarely do we get something returned all the way on us. We should be thankful that atleast one facet of the game works well...

djjimkelly
12-30-2008, 08:43 AM
id make him assistant HC is he isnt already to keep him as special teams coach. but as for HC no chance

Mr. Pink
12-30-2008, 08:49 AM
I think you bring up a ridiculous pt. STs has a great influence on games and you always need backups. Bringing in backups that can produce in STs is smart and virtually every team that pays attention to their ST personnel does it. What difference does it make to the regular game? A #5 WR is not likely to see much play time in the regular offense...nor are the #5 and #6 LBs. Don't blame April or these backups for what the starters haven't been able to accomplish nor the inability of this coach to game plan some wins. They have nothing to do with that. What they do have responsibility for is having field position fall to our favor. And overall, the STs did pretty good (though not as great as last year) in given the offense a little advantage - which they sadly, rarely took advantage of while at the same time, doing a good job defending returns. Rarely do we get something returned all the way on us. We should be thankful that atleast one facet of the game works well...

Ok, we have the two clown LBers in Costanzo and Corto because they're allegedly good at special teams. Meanwhile, we're stuck starting a garbage player in Keith Ellison when Crow goes down. Why didn't we release either of those two bums to get an effective LB in for the season? You don't think April doesn't have any say in that?

Here's two teams that get great field position due to their returners...Chicago and Cleveland. Name me their ST coordinators. Great returners will excel no matter where they go and no matter who their ST coordinator is. Look at what Eric Metcalf did through his career with the Browns, Falcons, Chargers...

To give Bobby April credit for what McGee, Parrish and McKelvin can do is downright idiotic and laughable. McKelvin did a good job returning for us this year, go figure, he was the top returner in last years' draft. Who would have saw that one coming? Oh, probably everyone.

Instead of having depth on this team that can step up and play if need be due to injury, we have a bunch of ST only type players. Excellent. Good planning.

Get rid of the guy and work to fix the important units, offense and defense.

bigbub2352
12-30-2008, 08:50 AM
Bobby April, in my opinion would be a solid HC, i know everyone is scared because he only coaches ST, but this is a guy who gets 7th rd picks UDFAs and street FAs to play ballsout every week, his players believe in his system, luv playing for him and Bobby April was interim coach in St Louis and did ok so he has a little exp

He is a motivater has passion for the game, has coached terrific Returners in Parrish, McGee and McKelvin, and throw jackson in that mix as well, he also has such respect from the Vets on the team he had starters like London Fletcher and now Kyle Williams wanting to play ST also Ko Simpson and bryan Scott

If we were gonna go the cheap route like we always do i think Bobby would have a passionate well coached team he can hire cordinators for the O and D
his job is to prepare his teams for battle and motivate them install pride in them those are all strong charachteristics of April
I would not hate this and i think April needs more credit than some are giving him look at were are STs rank since he has been here that says alot imagine what he could do with full control of the roster
Also his eye for talent might be something worth noting remember he has a say in who we should keep as depth players cause he sees talent in them
Blake Costanzo for example

mysticsoto
12-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Ok, we have the two clown LBers in Costanzo and Corto because they're allegedly good at special teams. Meanwhile, we're stuck starting a garbage player in Keith Ellison when Crow goes down. Why didn't we release either of those two bums to get an effective LB in for the season? You don't think April doesn't have any say in that?

Here's two teams that get great field position due to their returners...Chicago and Cleveland. Name me their ST coordinators. Great returners will excel no matter where they go and no matter who their ST coordinator is. Look at what Eric Metcalf did through his career with the Browns, Falcons, Chargers...

To give Bobby April credit for what McGee, Parrish and McKelvin can do is downright idiotic and laughable. McKelvin did a good job returning for us this year, go figure, he was the top returner in last years' draft. Who would have saw that one coming? Oh, probably everyone.

Instead of having depth on this team that can step up and play if need be due to injury, we have a bunch of ST only type players. Excellent. Good planning.

Apparently you think there is a line of great LBs around the corner just sitting around waiting for some team to call them. April has to look through the riff raff to try and find talent out there that can be used on STs. As for McGee/Parrish/McKelvin - like most people, you give them sole credit for their run backs and no credit to their blockers. I have no wish to take away from their great skills, but without blocking, they aren't going to do much squat - much like the reason Lynch hasn't had heads turning around in the league as (my personal opinion) I think he should. Blocking and covering (when other teams return) is just as important and shouldn't be overlooked.

If Ellison isn't a good fit at LB, then the FO should have had a better backup to Crowell. But you don't always know that someone will get injured and once they do, you are left with the backup regardless. Would things have been better this year with a healthy Crowell. Yeah, likely so. But Ellison was gotten to back him up...not Costanzo or Corto...those guys are 3rd stringers that are meant to be used for STs. If you have a complaint, complain against the 2nd stringers who are not covering adequately for the 1st stringers - though in truth, this is almost always the case...

Philagape
12-30-2008, 09:00 AM
Bobby April, in my opinion would be a solid HC, i know everyone is scared because he only coaches ST, but this is a guy who gets 7th rd picks UDFAs and street FAs to play ballsout every week, his players believe in his system, luv playing for him and Bobby April was interim coach in St Louis and did ok so he has a little exp

He is a motivater has passion for the game, has coached terrific Returners in Parrish, McGee and McKelvin, and throw jackson in that mix as well, he also has such respect from the Vets on the team he had starters like London Fletcher and now Kyle Williams wanting to play ST also Ko Simpson and bryan Scott

If we were gonna go the cheap route like we always do i think Bobby would have a passionate well coached team he can hire cordinators for the O and D
his job is to prepare his teams for battle and motivate them install pride in them those are all strong charachteristics of April
I would not hate this and i think April needs more credit than some are giving him look at were are STs rank since he has been here that says alot imagine what he could do with full control of the roster
Also his eye for talent might be something worth noting remember he has a say in who we should keep as depth players cause he sees talent in them

Much of that can be said about Dick. The players love him too. They play hard for him.

HHURRICANE
12-30-2008, 09:00 AM

You are the best poster here but I disagree.

On a micro level Bobby April looks great. But he has Moorman, Lindell, Parrish, MecKelvin, and had McGee. He arguably has the best talent in regards to his job of any coach on this team.

After 3 years of improving the roster, our record is still 7-9. What did special teams do for us? Nothing? In the end it didn't make a difference.

We need a real defense and an offense were teams don't just shut down Evans and call it a day.

Philagape
12-30-2008, 09:02 AM
I dunno, it just seems April's area of expertise is too limited. To say "He's good at what he does, let's promote him" can be said about anyone -- waterboys, equipment managers, graphic designers.
The trash heaps of failed head coaches are filled with men who were good at their previous jobs.

HHURRICANE
12-30-2008, 09:07 AM
I dunno, it just seems April's area of expertise is too limited. To say "He's good at what he does, let's promote him" can be said about anyone -- waterboys, equipment managers, graphic designers.
The trash heaps of failed head coaches are filled with men who were good at their previous jobs.

I'd rather have a guy that had run the D or O successfully.

Historian
12-30-2008, 09:09 AM
Bobby April is such a genius but he couldn't figure out how to cover onside kicks when it mattered.

Add to the fact that we keep getting players that can only play special teams and I don't understand what the lovefest is with this guy.

I actually think the Bills would be better without him.

Parrish, McGee, and McKelvin can return kicks with any special teams coordinator back there.

Amen!

He's got enthusiasm to burn.

But he's not a Head Coach, sorry.

Historian
12-30-2008, 09:12 AM
Two words:

Quick Kick

Saratoga Slim
12-30-2008, 09:20 AM

Most speedy Cover-2 linebackers of the type that work in our system naturally make good special teamers. If there were better LINEBACKERS available than Corto & Costanzo, I'm pretty sure we would have signed them for that defensive skill, and assumed that they'd be able to cover kicks too.

Anyway, we're talking about the #6 & #7 LBs on the depth chart--not many teams have talented guys that deep on the bench. I don't think the team has compromised its offense or defense with its attention to Special Teams.

PromoTheRobot
12-30-2008, 09:23 AM
My feeling: Same as it ever was.

PTR

User Manuel
12-30-2008, 09:24 AM
I would take a shot at Bobby April before I would waste my time on a guy like Crennel, Mangenius, Nolan, etc...

Mr. Pink
12-30-2008, 09:27 AM
Most speedy Cover-2 linebackers of the type that work in our system naturally make good special teamers. If there were better LINEBACKERS available than Corto & Costanzo, I'm pretty sure we would have signed them for that defensive skill, and assumed that they'd be able to cover kicks too.

Anyway, we're talking about the #6 & #7 LBs on the depth chart--not many teams have talented guys that deep on the bench. I don't think the team has compromised its offense or defense with its attention to Special Teams.

Except the fact that Costanzo and Corto were both our backup OLBers prior to week one of the regular season.

But why dump one of em and get an NFL competent defensive player? I mean after all he might not be able to play ST's!

You do realize that we were a Keith Ellison injury away from seeing Blake Costanzo start right?

And it's not just this season where we have guys like that on our team.

Let's face the only reason Coy Wire was here after his first couple seasons was because he was good at STs. Yet we still tried starting him at Safety anyways.

bigbub2352
12-30-2008, 09:43 AM
Much of that can be said about Dick. The players love him too. They play hard for him.

I agree and disagree with u, the players Luv Dick for sure, but they do not play hard for him, this team is lifeless and passionless, they dont care about winning and only care about themselves, there is no team pride team urgency
I am just saying Bobby april is not my choice to be Bills Head Coach, but if we are going to hire someone from within (our style latley) April is a better and cheaper choice(ralph loves that) then anyone else we got
all im saying...

bigbub2352
12-30-2008, 09:46 AM
You are the best poster here but I disagree.

On a micro level Bobby April looks great. But he has Moorman, Lindell, Parrish, MecKelvin, and had McGee. He arguably has the best talent in regards to his job of any coach on this team.

After 3 years of improving the roster, our record is still 7-9. What did special teams do for us? Nothing? In the end it didn't make a difference.

We need a real defense and an offense were teams don't just shut down Evans and call it a day.

I am the first one to say that special teams urgency here has created huge depth issues and roster mismangement has caused us to keep players that have no business in the NFL, All i am saying is if we go the way things have been going at OBD and our lack of any moves or going out and getting a proven Head Coach and paying him 3-5 mil a season to return us to respectability someone like Cowher, holmgren, Billick ,Fassel anyone with a track recordi want them to do that all day over April
But given our lack of doing the right thing the smart thing, and if we do decide to promote from within April is our best choice is all i am trying to say HH and thanks for the compliment

Throne Logic
12-30-2008, 09:48 AM
I called for April 3 years ago. He's likely to bring in strong O and D coordinators and coach more like Marv did. That seemed to work out OK.

Since we're not likely to see a proven HC come in, I'll gladly take April over any college coach or other team's coordinators.

patmoran2006
12-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Half the reason I predict April will get the job is because he’ll keep the rest of staff in tact and Wilson wont have to spend any extra money on new coordinators.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>