• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Newbee fans have to learn about Ralph.

Can we put to rest how great a guy Ralph is? Please. I am not trying to disrespect some of the Bills younger fans (and I am only 43 myself) but it seems there are many that are under the impression that RW was at sometime a nice guy and a great football mind. Some basic reviews are in order.

RW has a hobby called the Buffalo Bills. When interested he has hired some great football minds just to get in their way later (See Chuck Knox and Lou Saban).

This is a team that before Bill Polian used to draft out of Street & Smiths.

Ralph has been threatening to move the team since 1973. In fact, Buffalo wasn't even his first choice - it was Miami.

He "saved" the AFL and the Oakland Raiders by becoming a silent partner and feeding Al Davis money (and a little known QB named Darryl Lamonica). The Raiders went onto 15 years of prosperity. Except for a couple of small bursts the Bills stunk for almost twenty years. I've always said, and have no way or proving, that RW made lots of money in the deal that allowed the Raiders become a "class" organization and the Bills a laughing stock (those born after 1980 have no clue what bumbling is as far as the Bills are concerned).

Ralph "lucked" into a winning decade of football. In 1985 then General Manager Terry Bledsoe (no, no relation to Drew) had a heart attack and could no longer tend to his GM duties. Ralph did as he normally does - he just threw the job to the next in line - a young unknown by the name of Bill Polian. Soon, the USFL collapsed totally and Polian was able to grab a lot of great talent because he had experience there. In came Marv, John Butler, AJ Smith, a crack scouting staff and some players like Drane, Hull and this arrogant SOB who didn't want to play here until Polian took a stand - Jim Kelly. This ushered in 1987-1999...the glory days of the Bills which ended when Wilson pushed Butler and Smith out the door (as is his style). At no other time in the Bills history did the team ever have a winning record for more than four consecutive years.

I could go on. Those older than I could write tomes about RW and his mismanagement.

Take it to the bank "youngsters", Ralph has never deserved your praise. He doesn't deserve to be in the HOF, the Bills WOF and it is actually a slap in the face to the citizens of this area that that stadium and field house carry his name. I wait for the day when a new owner takes over and strips his name off of both buildings.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.
  • BAM
    • Sep 2003

Re: Newbee fans have to learn about Ralph.

I haven't seen anyone say he's a great football mind but I agree pretty much with you. It's a damn shame the two owners I have to put up with in my two favorite sports: Ralph with the Bills and Angelos with the Baltimore Orioles.

Neither team has been good since I was in high school. And I graduated 10 years ago.

Comment

• Dujek
      Hall of Fame Zoner
      • Jan 2008

Well said. RW sees the Bills as his plaything, nothing more, and he doesn't give a **** about anybody who posts here or any other Bills fans. The sooner the tight-fisted old **** croaks the better.

Comment

• Typ0
        honey pie
        • Jul 2002

one has to question why you continue to buy seasons EB because this speaks directly to the reality of the Bills organization. I have over the course of the last few years thought long and hard about what it means to be a bills fan and why people remain. I've arrived at a rejoicing and sad truth along the way. It's not really about the team at all. We could all be fans of any NFL team and enjoy it. It's much more about western new york and the community. The people there are in love with the idea of having something the world sees worthwhile. They would like to be called winners and respected as significant participants in something. And to make it worse things have been headed so far downhill there politically that the physical environment has suffered greatly. And Ralph Wilson is like the cigarette companies and lottery...they prey on poor people whose participation drives them further into poverty. It makes me very guilty to say this as I have had a very sick child in the past few months and I'm really thinking badly of another human being here...but Ralph Wilson is the deepest of scumbags on the face of the earth and the day he dies will be a very bright day for Western New York. All of his grandstanding crap about being a saint for keeping the team there doesn't wash with any reasonable reader who can see he's much closer to a non-reformed Ebeneezer Scrooge than anyone who has every done any good for another human being.

So wise up people. Don't buy into the Jibberish RW pumps into the media. Walk down to OBD with picket signs that call for RW to die a slow painful death in thanks for years of incompetence and blowhard vomit pumped into the community. We can liken Bills football to religion for us ... and it's a religion headed up by a Jim Jones.

Comment

• Ebenezer
          Give me a minute...
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Typ0
          one has to question why you continue to buy seasons EB because this speaks directly to the reality of the Bills organization. I have over the course of the last few years thought long and hard about what it means to be a bills fan and why people remain. I've arrived at a rejoicing and sad truth along the way. It's not really about the team at all. We could all be fans of any NFL team and enjoy it. It's much more about western new york and the community. The people there are in love with the idea of having something the world sees worthwhile. They would like to be called winners and respected as significant participants in something. And to make it worse things have been headed so far downhill there politically that the physical environment has suffered greatly. And Ralph Wilson is like the cigarette companies and lottery...they prey on poor people whose participation drives them further into poverty. It makes me very guilty to say this as I have had a very sick child in the past few months and I'm really thinking badly of another human being here...but Ralph Wilson is the deepest of scumbags on the face of the earth and the day he dies will be a very bright day for Western New York. All of his grandstanding crap about being a saint for keeping the team there doesn't wash with any reasonable reader who can see he's much closer to a non-reformed Ebeneezer Scrooge than anyone who has every done any good for another human being.
          Typ0, you answered your question to me for me. I buy tickets because RW is finite. He will pass. When that time comes I want to have been able to do what I can to keep this team here. I don't want to give the NFL the excuse that we didn't support the team. It is community - and it is about pride. I don't have a "second favorite team". I was brought up on football. Losing it will be losing a piece of myself.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
            I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
            • May 2005

Eb, I'm one of those born after 1980 types, and I didn't need the lesson, I already knew... but thanks anyways, I'm sure a lot of people don't have half a clue to the history of him with this team.

Comment

• Ebenezer
              Give me a minute...
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BlackMetalNinja
              Eb, I'm one of those born after 1980 types, and I didn't need the lesson, I already knew... but thanks anyways, I'm sure a lot of people don't have half a clue to the history of him with this team.
              I meant no ill respect against those under 35...just making a point that some probably don't know the history.

Comment

• Historian
                2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                Can we put to rest how great a guy Ralph is? Please. I am not trying to disrespect some of the Bills younger fans (and I am only 43 myself) but it seems there are many that are under the impression that RW was at sometime a nice guy and a great football mind. Some basic reviews are in order.

RW has a hobby called the Buffalo Bills. When interested he has hired some great football minds just to get in their way later (See Chuck Knox and Lou Saban).

This is a team that before Bill Polian used to draft out of Street & Smiths.

Ralph has been threatening to move the team since 1973. In fact, Buffalo wasn't even his first choice - it was Miami.

He "saved" the AFL and the Oakland Raiders by becoming a silent partner and feeding Al Davis money (and a little known QB named Darryl Lamonica). The Raiders went onto 15 years of prosperity. Except for a couple of small bursts the Bills stunk for almost twenty years. I've always said, and have no way or proving, that RW made lots of money in the deal that allowed the Raiders become a "class" organization and the Bills a laughing stock (those born after 1980 have no clue what bumbling is as far as the Bills are concerned).

Ralph "lucked" into a winning decade of football. In 1985 then General Manager Terry Bledsoe (no, no relation to Drew) had a heart attack and could no longer tend to his GM duties. Ralph did as he normally does - he just threw the job to the next in line - a young unknown by the name of Bill Polian. Soon, the USFL collapsed totally and Polian was able to grab a lot of great talent because he had experience there. In came Marv, John Butler, AJ Smith, a crack scouting staff and some players like Drane, Hull and this arrogant SOB who didn't want to play here until Polian took a stand - Jim Kelly. This ushered in 1987-1999...the glory days of the Bills which ended when Wilson pushed Butler and Smith out the door (as is his style). At no other time in the Bills history did the team ever have a winning record for more than four consecutive years.

I could go on. Those older than I could write tomes about RW and his mismanagement.

Take it to the bank "youngsters", Ralph has never deserved your praise. He doesn't deserve to be in the HOF, the Bills WOF and it is actually a slap in the face to the citizens of this area that that stadium and field house carry his name. I wait for the day when a new owner takes over and strips his name off of both buildings.
                Post of the Year!!!!!

Comment

• patmoran2006
                  Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                  • Dec 2005

I have hated Ralph for years and have been abused on this board countless times by people sticking up for him.

Ralph is cheap.. I dont care if he goes out and signs Dockery and SChobel and other guys to huge deals. TRUST ME, he finds ways to compensate for EVERYTHING he does. And there is nothing worse in pro sports than a meddling owner who doesnt understand and/or care what it takes at the top to build a winner.. He flat-out LUCKED into a winning period with a genius in Polian, which he promptly blew by firing him (I dont care what the personal issues are) and we've been pretty much **** ever since he left. By no coincidence, Indy is consisently a contender.

Fortunately, (or rather unfortunately) everybody has come around on what a piece of **** this guy really is.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

Read Larry Felsers article, which captures this thread perfectly. He covered the Bills from day 1 in 1960.

Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Ebenezer
                      Give me a minute...
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train
                      Read Larry Felsers article, which captures this thread perfectly. He covered the Bills from day 1 in 1960.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bi...ry/529324.html
                      that was a great article...I have Larry to thank for most of my pre-1970 Bills knowledge.

Comment

• Billzz
                        • Sep 2003

There are alot of cold hard facts in this thread.

I didn't love western NY as much as you Eb, but still feel tied to it and visit as I travel to Albany from time to time. Seeing Cheektowaga turn into what it has and Buffalo in general breaks your heart a little, along with this team.

My son is 10 and I plan to take him to a game next year so he can see why I am so drawn to a "losing team", his words not mine. The people and atmosphere at a game at the Ralph is second to none IMO. I have him brain washed and all he wears is Bills/Sabres jersey's, but I want him to experience it first hand. We have been to a few Buc's and Miami games, just not the same and he will realize that.

Community is what makes the Bills, The Bills.

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
                          The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
                          • Feb 2005

I'll take this as a personal slap at my "there was a time" post.... I'm 47 and have been around as a bills fan for 40 of those years. I know what I know. There WAS a time when people felt like RW was a decent and good guy to have with the bills and a good ambassadore for WNY life. In spite of what you say.

I never said he was a good football mind.

Whatever. all the good will is all gone now... that is the point of my thread
                          In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• jamze132
                            • Jun 2003

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

I lived in Gasport in the early 80s, growing up at Rich Stadium, The Aud, and War Memorial watching all my favorite teams. What is sad, is that for 4 years starting in 1990, we had a damn good football team. The Sabres had a few runs, and the Bisons were at the least, very entertaining. I wish I was still in Western NY. At least now the Bisons are the AAA affiliate of my Mets!

There was no reason behind my post except that I miss being able to watch my favorite teams in person. Carry on...

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                              short bus extraordinaire
                              • Jul 2002

i've been saying for years that the Old Fart used the Bills as a writeoff until the NFL became a cash cow. before the Toronto games became official, that Old Bastard made around $200 million in the 7 previous seasons. but yet, he claimed poverty so the NFL gave him the rights to negotiate the $70+ million deal. i don't give a rats ass about the AFL merging and all because he only did it for himself, not the fans. he's NOT a Hall of Famer and it's nice to see that the voters feel the same.
                              Originally posted by yordad
                              Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

Working...
                              X