PDA

View Full Version : when you can you officially label a player a bust??

patmoran2006
12-30-2008, 12:08 PM
All the Jauron talk lately takes away from a horrible job a lot of our players have done.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
But after three years, I think its time to examine and ask; when can you officially call a player a bust?<o:p></o:p>
If the time limit is three years, I would like to formally nominate Donte Whitner as a “bust.”<o:p></o:p>
When you’re a safety and your picked anywhere in the first round, particularly in the Top 8 of the draft, it has to be because you bring big-play ability to a defense. I’m sure the F.O. envisioned Whitner becoming a game changer who carries a big stick; in the mold of a Brian Dawkins and Bob Sanders.<o:p></o:p>
Well, after doing some stat research, this is what Whitner has accomplished for <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City>, after 43 career starts spanning three seasons now.<o:p></o:p>
Interceptions: 2<o:p></o:p>
Sacks: 1<o:p></o:p>
TD’s Scored: 0<o:p></o:p>
Passes Defended: 7 (that’s fn’ PATHETIC!)<o:p></o:p>
Forced Fumbles: 2 <o:p></o:p>
Fumble Recoveries: 0<o:p></o:p>
Tackles Behind the Line in 2008 : ZERO<o:p></o:p>
Look at those numbers, they do not lie. That is absolutely horrendous. I’ll bet there are 25 or more starting SS (or FS for that matter) in the NFL over the past three years who have far better numbers than that.<o:p></o:p>
Brian Dawkins had two forced fumbles in about 3 minutes Sunday. WHitner has two in his CAREER. You’re telling me he’s never recovered a fumble and has picked off two passes in his career? HE didn’t have a single tackle behind the line this year? Not even one?

The most brutal stat of all is passes defended. He defends an average of 2 and a third passes per year. Basically, he’s great at tackling the guy after he catches the ball 10-15 yards in front of him.<o:p></o:p>
Anyway, Im tired of this guy taking very little heat for how weak this defense is.. He’s supposed to be a leader, and he certainly proved he can run his mouth like one. . But as the numbers show, he hasn’t done jack **** on the field for three years running now.<o:p></o:p>

Which leads again to my question.. When does he become a bust officially??<o:p></o:p>

Bling
12-30-2008, 12:09 PM
The second he was drafted.

billsfanone
12-30-2008, 12:11 PM
When I think bust, I think total worthlessness, like Mike Williams and JP Loseman. I'd call Whitner a severe disappointment. At least he's serviceable.

OpIv37
12-30-2008, 12:27 PM
Yeah, I'm with bf1 on this one. It depends on how you define "bust." I consider a bust to be a player who is completely worthless. I don't think Whitner is completely worthless. And he is limited by the system so he'll never have Bob Sanders or Troy Polamalu numbers.

But that being said, Whitner is very disappointing and has never lived up to his potential or to being the #8 pick. People here love to defend the guy, but he's just not a playmaker.

Saratoga Slim
12-30-2008, 12:33 PM
Yeah, I'm with bf1 on this one. It depends on how you define "bust." I consider a bust to be a player who is completely worthless. I don't think Whitner is completely worthless. And he is limited by the system so he'll never have Bob Sanders or Troy Polamalu numbers.

But that being said, Whitner is very disappointing and has never lived up to his potential or to being the #8 pick. People here love to defend the guy, but he's just not a playmaker.

I agree. I think Whitner is a very good safety (numbers don't tell the whole story), and a great locker room presence. He would have been a very good pick in Round 2.

But as the #8 pick in the whole draft, I'd agree that he's a disappointment.

EDS
12-30-2008, 12:39 PM
When I think bust, I think total worthlessness, like Mike Williams and JP Loseman. I'd call Whitner a severe disappointment. At least he's serviceable.

Agreed.

McCargo and JP Losman are busts. Mike Williams was a bust. Whitner is ok, but not a bust since he is servicable (but obviously the Bills squandered that high pick on a marginal talent).

bigbub2352
12-30-2008, 12:46 PM
Donte Whitner is not only a bust, he sucks at alot of things other than INTs, he is terrible against the run, he arm tackles he is slow in getting over the top in coverage, and he also is not any were near as physical as advertised,
Whitner was another horrible pick by the Levy regime, i know i argued this in the past wit DraftBoy, but im sorry i would luv to have Ngata instead and Mangold instead of loser McCargo

Whitner straight up sucks, maybe he would have been better at CB

patmoran2006
12-30-2008, 12:59 PM
he sucks, I dont care what anybody says.
He didnt even have a single tackle for a loss the ENTIRE YEAR! NOT ONE!
****, Bryan Scott had 6.5, in fact he led the team.

I could make an EASY argument that Scott is a better safety.

Maybe 'bust' is a harsh word.. But totally irrelevent is definitely not, and that's exactly what Whitner is.

thenry20
12-30-2008, 01:59 PM
All the Jauron talk lately takes away from a horrible job a lot of our players have done.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
But after three years, I think its time to examine and ask; when can you officially call a player a bust?<o:p></o:p>
If the time limit is three years, I would like to formally nominate Donte Whitner as a “bust.”<o:p></o:p>
When you’re a safety and your picked anywhere in the first round, particularly in the Top 8 of the draft, it has to be because you bring big-play ability to a defense. I’m sure the F.O. envisioned Whitner becoming a game changer who carries a big stick; in the mold of a Brian Dawkins and Bob Sanders.<o:p></o:p>
Well, after doing some stat research, this is what Whitner has accomplished for <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City>, after 43 career starts spanning three seasons now.<o:p></o:p>
Look at those numbers, they do not lie. That is absolutely horrendous. I’ll bet there are 25 or more starting SS (or FS for that matter) in the NFL over the past three years who have far better numbers than that.<o:p></o:p>
Brian Dawkins had two forced fumbles in about 3 minutes Sunday. WHitner has two in his CAREER. You’re telling me he’s never recovered a fumble and has picked off two passes in his career? HE didn’t have a single tackle behind the line this year? Not even one?

The most brutal stat of all is passes defended. He defends an average of 2 and a third passes per year. Basically, he’s great at tackling the guy after he catches the ball 10-15 yards in front of him.<o:p></o:p>
Anyway, Im tired of this guy taking very little heat for how weak this defense is.. He’s supposed to be a leader, and he certainly proved he can run his mouth like one. . But as the numbers show, he hasn’t done jack **** on the field for three years running now.<o:p></o:p>

Which leads again to my question.. When does he become a bust officially??<o:p></o:p>

It's more than that. The dumb **** is supposed to be a leader but blames backup players for the entire woes of the team.

OpIv37
12-30-2008, 02:46 PM
It's more than that. The dumb **** is supposed to be a leader but blames backup players for the entire woes of the team.

don't forget his playoff guarantee or his tackling a guy 8 yards deep into the endzone.

Mr. Pink
12-30-2008, 02:59 PM
I'm not sure what the highlight of Donte's season is anymore...

I thought he wouldn't be able to top the Johnnie Lee Higgins, I tackle you eight yards deep for no reason play would be hard to top.

Then he gets ran over like roadkill by Sammy Morris.

Tough to say. Call it a tossup.

jamze132
12-30-2008, 04:10 PM
He was destined for stardom from the get-go until he had his INT in his first game against the Patsies called back. He hasn't done **** since. Oh wait, he did become Lamont Jordan's little ***** the other day...

THATHURMANATOR
12-30-2008, 04:14 PM
Exactly.

Bling
12-30-2008, 08:27 PM
I remember that being a Safety deep draft. How'd that turn out? I know that Whitner's been a disappointment, and Jason Allen has more than deserved the title bust.

SabreEleven
12-30-2008, 08:33 PM
He is Sammy Morris' ***** so he has that going for him..

streetkings01
12-30-2008, 09:33 PM
Looks like the draft experts finally got something right!

Ebenezer
12-30-2008, 09:40 PM
I view safeties like WR...you can't judge much about them if the ball isn't thrown their way...the tackles behind the line may not also be his fault because of the scheme....

personally? after today and this season I really don't know if I can label many of the players a bust...so much of the problem with this team is coaching.

Mad Max
12-30-2008, 10:31 PM

When I think of a bust I think of usefulness (or lack thereof) AND draft position. A guy drafted at the overall 8th position who contributes as little as Whitner...well, ya, he's a bust.

"serviceable" guys are supposed to come cheap in late rounds or as UDFA.

jamze132
12-31-2008, 12:47 AM
When I think of a bust, I think of Dick Jauron and his coaching staff.

streetkings01
01-01-2009, 08:52 PM
I view safeties like WR...you can't judge much about them if the ball isn't thrown their way...the tackles behind the line may not also be his fault because of the scheme....

personally? after today and this season I really don't know if I can label many of the players a bust...so much of the problem with this team is coaching.That makes no sense right now since Whitner has been playing FS since the Chargers game thus making him the free person to make plays on the ball which he hasn't.

pintonick96
01-01-2009, 09:42 PM
You guys are ****ing idiots. Our poor DBs had no pass rush from our d line and with QBs able to take all the time in the world to pick them apart the DBs are gonna look bad. Whitner is the emotional leader on this team, and captain of a decent defense. He's in no way a bust and is a vital asset to the team. You ****heads sit here on your computers and over analyze what you see on TV instead of seeing whats on the field. Wake the **** up people.

streetkings01
01-02-2009, 09:23 AM
You guys are ****ing idiots. Our poor DBs had no pass rush from our d line and with QBs able to take all the time in the world to pick them apart the DBs are gonna look bad. Whitner is the emotional leader on this team, and captain of a decent defense. He's in no way a bust and is a vital asset to the team. You ****heads sit here on your computers and over analyze what you see on TV instead of seeing whats on the field. Wake the **** up people.Someone hasn't been watching Whitner the past 3 seasons. Whitner was a reach and we proved Kiper right. Stop with this emotional leader stuff.....the guy is an average football player and when he was injured there was no dropoff.

Marvelous
01-03-2009, 02:53 AM
No dropoff from what? Our D was medicore at best.. Stroud & Kyle WIlliams we're "IT", on the line..Poz seemed lost at MLB,,No Crowell! Mitchell seems very mediocre when he's not blitzing. And McGee sucked since he was hurt & then got his lunch money jacked by Pennington & Ginn.. Who was our FS? Scott,SImpson>?
--stay stupid.

ParanoidAndroid
01-03-2009, 03:58 AM
Whitner was brought in as a SS and played SS up until the last few games of this season.
The Coaching staff pulled what I'm going to call a Coy Wire on Whitner by putting him in the wrong place.
After several years at SS, he plays with SS instincts. The problem is that he does not have the strength to play SS in the NFL at a high level. The fact that he was at least decent is a testament to his talent.
He was very good in coverage as a SS, but below average in run support.
He is not a ball hawk but with more reps at FS, I believe he will be able to make more plays than he did at SS.
He was a "reach." So what? Look at the rest of that 1st round Whitner was in.

yordad
01-03-2009, 06:40 AM
It is open to interpretation. Ask yourself, can a player "unbust"? If not, you wait til he is done to label him.

Oh, I have a question: Did the team even have a strong saftey on the roster when the drafted Whitner?

X-Era
01-03-2009, 08:17 AM
The second he was drafted.

No, thats Jason Allen

patmoran2006
01-03-2009, 08:29 AM
I find it admirable and amusing people STILL stick up for Whitner and make up excuse after excuse, after excuse.

Use the terminology anyway you like.. "Bust", "Average", "Dissapoinment", etc etc etc.

Here's the bottom line.. He's done NOTHING IN THIS LEAGUE IN THREE YEARS, NOTHING... he is probably in the bottom 10% of starting safeties in the ENTIRE NFL in impact plays made.

This guy just went an entire season without a single tackle behind the line of scrimmage.. Not one!!!!!!!!!! Bryan SCott, who didnt even start half the season had 6.5.. WHitner-- ZERO.

So maybe labeling a "Bust" is wrong. How about labeling him totally irrelevent instead?

Typ0
01-03-2009, 09:53 AM
donte who?

djjimkelly
01-03-2009, 09:55 AM
to whitners defense does our scheme EVER and i mean EVER allow him to be near the line of scrimmage or blitzing to get tackles behind the line of scrimmage

John Doe
01-03-2009, 12:44 PM
I would certainly hesitate to call a 23-year old player with over 250 tackles in the NFL a "bust."

The guy is the same age as McKelvin and 2 years younger than Reggie Corner.

ParanoidAndroid
01-03-2009, 01:14 PM
to whitners defense does our scheme EVER and i mean EVER allow him to be near the line of scrimmage or blitzing to get tackles behind the line of scrimmage

He certainly does not get used the same way Scott does. That is obvious.

HHURRICANE
01-03-2009, 02:23 PM
<o:p></o:p>

Pat we get it. You and OP hate Whitner as the 8th pick. Got it. Get it. Will get it next year when you are *****ing again.

Should have taken Ngata.

Are we done here?

BillsWin
01-03-2009, 02:27 PM
Donte reads these boards. more particularly boards.buffalobills.com...

I also talk to him on occasion. He's a good guy and a solid player. He'll come into his own eventually.

Bills fans always jump all over a player because he had a slow start to his career. he's been a disappointment. not a bust. he's contributed in his own way.

If he does NOTHING next season, I'll agree with you.