PDA

View Full Version : DOLPHINS: News for the day 5/8

Gunzlingr
05-08-2003, 09:02 AM
Post Dolphins news here!

Gunzlingr
05-08-2003, 09:04 AM
DAVIE -- He remembers the rain would start and stop and start and stop, and he remembers it was just a drizzle before he can't remember anything except the edge of the woods and someone asking, "Are you all right?"

Randy Wheeler was telling the story Wednesday morning from his wheelchair, so, no, he wasn't all right that summer afternoon five years ago when his SUV went skidding off I-95 near the Palm City exit and hit a tree, leaving him paralyzed.

He was telling the story from near the practice fields behind the Dolphins' practice facility, which is where he was headed July 20, 1998, from his home in South Carolina when everything changed.

Wheeler had signed with the Dolphins a year earlier after going undrafted out of the University of South Carolina. He spent the 1997 season on the practice squad, went to Europe to play right guard on the offensive line for the Rhein Fire and came home hoping to make Miami's regular-season roster on his second try.

more (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/auto/epaper/editions/thursday/sports_e39b8d5b71dd81dd007a.html)

Gunzlingr
05-08-2003, 09:05 AM
Thursday, May 8, 2003

DAVIE -- The Dolphins were unable to land a left tackle in free agency or trade up into the first round of the draft to get one. But if they want to continue their search, they need only look to the right side of the offensive line.

Todd Wade, who has started at right tackle the past three years, said he went to offensive line coach Tony Wise and volunteered to move to left tackle. Wade last played left tackle as a sophomore at Ole Miss.

"He said he appreciated it and that it was always good to know... that he can go and tell the coaches that I would play there," Wade said. "Give me a good week and I think I could get used to it. I don't think it would be a problem."

Mark Dixon is scheduled to be the starter at left tackle for the second consecutive year, but he would rather play guard. The Dolphins drafted Wade Smith in the third round, and though they liked what they saw of him in mini-camp last week, he will need time to adjust to the pro game.

more (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/auto/epaper/editions/thursday/sports_e39bed3971dd41e100ba.html)

Gunzlingr
05-08-2003, 09:06 AM
Thursday, May 8, 2003

DAVIE -- Seth McKinney is enjoying fatherhood. His daughter, Kate Elizabeth, will be 5 months old next week, and playing with her is the best part of his day.

McKinney, the Dolphins' second-year offensive lineman, lights up every time Kate smiles at him.

"Fatherhood is great," McKinney said. "Right now she's growing up and smiling and paying attention. It's a blast. I recommend it to everyone."

It's an exciting time for McKinney. Not only does he get to spend time with Kate, but if the season started today, he would be the starter at left guard.

With Jamie Nails out until the end of June recovering from a torn Achilles' tendon, McKinney is gaining valuable experience. He also is showing coaches and teammates he can handle the job.

more (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/auto/epaper/editions/thursday/sports_e39bed4971dda1fe00ca.html)

Gunzlingr
05-08-2003, 09:07 AM
DAVIE -- Arturo Freeman isn't worried about being replaced as a starter in the secondary, even though the Dolphins' continued interest in free-agent safety Sammy Knight might indicate uncertainty about his future.

Freeman said this is an important year for him, beyond the obvious reason that he will be an unrestricted free agent after the season.

He wants to make more big plays. He wants to be more patient but also more explosive. And, most importantly, he wants to show that making him a full-time starter last season was a worthwhile investment. The Dolphins have done their part to help Freeman prosper by simplifying his role.

more (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-dolphin08may08,0,7447015.story?coll=sfla%2Dsports%2Dfront)

Gunzlingr
05-08-2003, 09:13 AM
Dolphins Pro Bowl cornerback Patrick Surtain is coming off a season that was part success, part strife.

He led the team in interceptions and was selected to start his first Pro Bowl. But he also battled a knee injury and was involved in two incidents -- one that has been resolved and another he refuses to forgive.

In January, fellow cornerback Sam Madison said during a radio show he was bothered last season when the wife of a teammate lobbied for her husband to make the Pro Bowl. Madison said he was distracted by the comments, implying they attributed to his subpar season.

It became obvious Madison was referring to Surtain's wife, Michelle, and there was widespread concern of an ugly rift between Madison and Surtain over the remarks.

''It took me by surprise,'' Surtain said of Madison's comment. ``I wasn't expecting it. No one expected it. But we got together like men and worked it out. . . . I had to find out the facts, if it was truly said.

``We're still friends. We're teammates. The thing is it came from left field, but we worked it out.''

more (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/5810750.htm)

Gunzlingr
05-08-2003, 09:14 AM
Linebacker Morlon Greenwood said Tuesday he is not bothered that the team is working rookie Eddie Moore, Miami's second-round pick and top selection in the draft, at strong-side linebacker.

Moore is being given a chance to compete for the starting job Greenwood has held the past two years after being a third-round pick in 2001.

''I go around and work on what I have to do, which is the same thing no matter what,'' Greenwood said. ``I'm working on getting the defense down, getting my fundamentals sound and ready for the season.''

Greenwood said the coaching staff has expressed neither satisfaction nor disappointment with his play.

''The coaches haven't said anything to me [about having] to work on something in particular or if I'm not doing something right,'' he said.

Coach Dave Wannstedt said last week Greenwood has been solid but unspectacular in his two seasons with the team.

more (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/5810743.htm)