X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Ralph IS Trying Something Different

Since Marv Levy, we had run thru 3 years a coach from Wade to Gregg to Mike and now Dick.

So this time he decided to break the norm and went for continuity.

When you calm down, you may see through it for what it is.

Is Dick Jauron the wrong guy? He exposed a lot of flaws the last 3 years. Can he improve?

Someone brought up Jeff Fisher's 1st 4 full seasons, a bunch of boring 7-9 and 8-8s. Look where he is now.

Another example is the genius Bilichick himself in Cleveland. I don't remember if he finshed all 5 years. Went to playoff once and a bunch of forgettable years.

My point is that coaches do change. Ralph is taking a new kind of risk now.

I heard Edwards the other day. He didn't voice his opinions strongly one way or the other (unlike his Jauron LOVE statement in the season), but he stressed that looking around the league, good teams have that stability at the coaching staff and continuity is good for players.

Who knows, maybe Edwards is indeed a smart guy or maybe Ralph consulted Edwards the last two days.
  • McBFLO
    • Mar 2003

Re: Ralph IS Trying Something Different

Smart idea. Consult with your inconsistent, 2nd year QB for advice.
    Infrequent poster, daily visitor.

Eternal optimist.

Follow me on twitter @CoreyMc81

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

Jauron is a poor game day coach.

With a much tougher schedule next season, I see a 10 loss season and a laundry list of excuses why last place isn't really all that bad.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Nighthawk
        Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
        • Jul 2002

You're reaching...I'm starting to hate Edwards and his pansy ass play!

Comment

• Mr. Pink
          Peterman Sucks!
          • Mar 2006

Seeing I was the one who put up Fisher's records...

How about Tom Landry's?
          0-11-1, 4-9-1, 5-8-1, 4-10, 5-8-1, 7-7 before his first winning season of 10-3-1

Belichick was 6-10, 7-9, 7-9, 11-5, 5-11 in Cleveland

No, I'm not comparing Jauron to either...BUT...look at what other coaches in the league have done who started slow and team's decided to use continuity?

Belichick's first three years in Cleveland are basically Dicky's first three here...and Landry took even longer to produce a winner.

Imagine if the Cowboys fired Landry after three years? Or the Browns fired Belichick after three years? Hell go look to see that Chuck Noll did nothing his first three years, imagine if they fired him.

At some point you need you need to use continuity and see where it goes...like I've stated before is Dicky a great coach? No. But he's not as bad as some people around here try to make him out to be and honestly, he's the best coach this team has had since Marv.

Comment

• Don't Panic
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Dec 2005

If Dick had given us anything in the last 10 games then I'd say this is worth debating... but he didn't. He failed time after time with in game decision making, and I don't see that changing, especially with a tougher schedule coming. With all the talented, proven coaches available right now, I just don't get this decision at all. As always, time well tell...

Comment

• paladin warrior
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Oct 2004

OHHH Ralph is trying something different- Ok How about this Trade JP and get New DE from the Draft. 1st round get DE 2nd round get DE or QB 3rd round get DE and 4th round get DE or LB.. NO MORE EXCUSE HURTING football Player.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                Seeing I was the one who put up Fisher's records...

How about Tom Landry's?
                0-11-1, 4-9-1, 5-8-1, 4-10, 5-8-1, 7-7 before his first winning season of 10-3-1

Belichick was 6-10, 7-9, 7-9, 11-5, 5-11 in Cleveland

No, I'm not comparing Jauron to either...BUT...look at what other coaches in the league have done who started slow and team's decided to use continuity?

Belichick's first three years in Cleveland are basically Dicky's first three here...and Landry took even longer to produce a winner.

Imagine if the Cowboys fired Landry after three years? Or the Browns fired Belichick after three years? Hell go look to see that Chuck Noll did nothing his first three years, imagine if they fired him.

At some point you need you need to use continuity and see where it goes...like I've stated before is Dicky a great coach? No. But he's not as bad as some people around here try to make him out to be and honestly, he's the best coach this team has had since Marv.
                I'm with you. After the initial shockwave, when you come down to think about it, it might just be a logic move Ralph and his people come up to.

What's alternative? Another shot in the dark with an unknown coach? Bringing in big names like Cowher/Shananhan etc.? Be realistic. Cowher told Cleveland outright No. What will he say to us? Besides, bringing in those coaches means a whole new front office, too. And we know Ralph is not going for that!

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!

Belichick's first three years in Cleveland are basically Dicky's first three here...
                  You conveniently left out Jauron's FIVE YEARS in Chicago (and his 6 games in Detroit, but I'll let that one go since no one could win in that situation).
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh
                    ? Besides, bringing in those coaches means a whole new front office, too. And we know Ralph is not going for that!
                    but that's what we need to do. This team is a lost cause until we get wholesale changes at the top. Brandon, Modrak, Guy.... all these tools were here during Donahoe's tenure. They are incapable of fielding a winner.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                    X