• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

A view from an optimist

Generally, I am an optimist. But after today, I am struggling to find something to be optimistic about. Sure these players love Jauron and for all of his faults, one can't reasonably claim that he has lost the team. He has NOT done that.

When I received the text message at a little after 5 PM while getting ready to go to leave work for the last time in 2008 and go to the gym, I was stunned. After my initial thought ("You have to be dry ****ing me") I tried to see the logic in the move.

After seeing last Sunday's perfect storm (in which I lost my ****ing front door because I was too stupid to make it was latched tight) and the way it played out, I thought I had seen the fitting end to this era. Jauron would be fired or dispatched to the front office. A new coach, maybe April, would be brought in. New assistants would be abundant with only April and Studesville as must keeps in my book. Alas, I was 100% wrong again. There is no change. And now the earlier reports of assistants being let go also seems to be false. Quite depressing indeed.

So where to go from here? Yes, I will still got to every game next year. I am an addict. And yes, after last season I had some hope. The play of Lynch, Edwards and other young guys was a sign for me. The way the team rallied around Jauron with the injuries and even a near death was encouraging. But it was all for naught. And after a fast start, this team plummeted. Bad decisions were not in short supply.Not getting another 1st down against Cleveland. Finding a way to score 3 points against San Fran. Playing McGee ahead of McKelvin vs, Miami. The spectacle last week at the end of the half. The Jets abomination. (On a side note, one of the supposed leaders on offense should have called a time-out to tell Dick that was dumbass call). Even the player's devotion to the coach could not overcome these errors.

So now we go forward to 2009. Sure they will sign a couple of FAs to make us happy. And drafting 11th, they will draft a talented player (personally, I think McKelvin will be Pro Bowl level in two years). But the same game decison stupidity will still exist, making this team FUBAR.

I see a return to 3-13 next year. And then a massive clean-up after the season. Then we can start over. Again.

Hopefully this does not ruin Edwards, Lynch and others. And hopefully Peters is extended, because trading him would be dumber than keeping Jauron.

Sigh. Thank God for Jim Beam and his friends.
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.
  • elltrain22
    • Sep 2003

Re: A view from an optimist

Yup! I know exactly how ya feel. I would also call myself an optimist, and today's news is certainly hard to swallow, even for fans, like you and me, who are good at seeing things in a positive light. Thing about this situation, there is no positive vibes you get; none whatsoever. Most all of us, as Bills fans, have already suffered a horrendous year this year, and now the feeling I get about next year, is one of very little confidence and/or excitement. I can't get excited about this team, b/c I am convinced, as of this very day, that Ralph Wilson doesn't care about winning, but he cares about several things. First, he is a cheap SOB, and that carries over into so many bad aspects. Second, he loves comfortability, and that is detrimental to this franchise, b/c he overlooks so many important decisions. Third, he's stubborn & a control freak, which is funny when ya think about it considering how old & cenile he is.

I'm sorry, I'm ranting, and ranting. This is BS. I hate you Ralph Wilson.
    If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• Romes
      • Jul 2002

Agreed and I consider my self an optimist, too.

The only hope for next year is that they bring in enough talent to mask DJ's weaknesses as a game manager. Its a long shot...
      Originally posted by paladin warrior
      RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• BillsNick
        • Jul 2003

Unbelievable. Un-freakin-believable

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

That noble of you, Lecter.

I'll take a year or 2 off until Wilson dies, then review where the Bills will be at, plus my own situation of whether I'm even still living in the area.

BTW- I saw your post you'll take my tickets if I bolt. My 3 club seat will probably run about $3,500-$4,000 next year. I'll let you know when I get the invoice. Obviously, it's no big deal for you.
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
            Zero for Zero!
            • Mar 2003

It will be a big deal if I can find people to go in with me.

But we can discuss it when/if it happens.

Comment

• Michael82
              • Jul 2002

Good post, Lecter! As you all know, I'm also one of the biggest optimistic Bills fans on the board, but when I woke up tonight and saw the text message, I was dumbfounded. I really believed that a change was going to happen. At the very least, both coordinators would get fired and so would some assistants. I don't know how we could have such a pathetic collapse and not make a single move. To not do anything is assinine. And it really ruins the optimism.

I understand that the players like Dick Jauron, but he has single handedly cost us two wins this year or more. And I bet I could pick another 2-3 games last year. I was ready to see him leave. He's a nice guy, but that isn't working in Buffalo. It was time for a change. And then Ralph basically flips all of us fans off...the ones that spend our hard earned money on this team and keep supporting it. We are the ones who fill his pockets with cash, but he basically told us to **** off. I'm sorry, but this night feels worse than the Mondays after a Bills loss, where Dick Jauron cost us the game with his horrible clock management and his bad play calls.

Again, I feel the pain of getting kicked in the nuts! Thanks Ralph! You *******!

Comment

• Michael82
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                It will be a big deal if I can find people to go in with me.

But we can discuss it when/if it happens.
                I've always wanted to try a club seat. Hmm.....

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                  Zero for Zero!
                  • Mar 2003

Sorry. I'm out.

Comment

• Coach Sal
                    • Aug 2006

When I received the text message at a little after 5 PM while getting ready to go to the gym for the first time in 2008.
                    There. I fixed your quote above. We all know what you meant to say.

Great post. But I think you're letting your knee-jerk side take over your emotions right now. No way this team goes 3-13 next year. The NFL changes fast and hard. Not that the Bills will win 12 or 13 games, but so many things will change with so many other teams, too, it's too easy to say they'll lose all these games because the schedule is so hard. Some of those teams will surprisingly suck.

--Check out Vic Carucci's article on the Pats possible decline next year:
                    Despite finishing 11-5, the Patriots fell short of the playoffs. But that might just be the beginning of a decline in what could be a costly offseason in New England.

--The Jets will have a complete overhaul in coaches and probably a new QB. Maybe a young one.
                    --No way the Dolphins only turn the ball over 10 times and stay as healthy as they did this year.

And as bad as this team was managed on the field this year, they still won 7 games in spite of Jauron and Schonert's F-ups.

I may sound TOO optimistic, but I just never try to get too high or too low when analyzing these things. That's the way I coach, too. Things aren't good right now on the surface. But they're not 13-loss bad, either.
                    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
                    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Comment

• Michael82
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Coach Sal
                      There. I fixed your quote above. We all know what you meant to say.

Great post. But I think you're letting your knee-jerk side take over your emotions right now. No way this team goes 3-13 next year. The NFL changes fast and hard. Not that the Bills will win 12 or 13 games, but so many things will change with so many other teams, too, it's too easy to say they'll lose all these games because the schedule is so hard. Some of those teams will surprisingly suck.

--Check out Vic Carucci's article on the Pats possible decline next year:
                      Despite finishing 11-5, the Patriots fell short of the playoffs. But that might just be the beginning of a decline in what could be a costly offseason in New England.

--The Jets will have a complete overhaul in coaches and probably a new QB. Maybe a young one.
                      --No way the Dolphins only turn the ball over 10 times and stay as healthy as they did this year.

And as bad as this team was managed on the field this year, they still won 7 games in spite of Jauron and Schonert's F-ups.

I may sound TOO optimistic, but I just never try to get too high or too low when analyzing these things. That's the way I coach, too. Things aren't good right now on the surface. But they're not 13-loss bad, either.
                      no, they aren't 3-13 bad next year. But they are 7-9 bad for the 4th ****ing year in a row.

Comment

• shelby
                        The Vanilla admin
                        • Jul 2002

Good post Doc, thanks. i have to agree with Sal in that things change quickly in the NFL. i hoped for a 10-6 season this year. While i'm disappointed that Jauron and the entire staff will stay, i was expecting it, so i'm not as upset as many of you.
                        i have to believe we have the pieces needed for this team to improve. The puzzle is just very difficult to solve.
                        i'm not a member of the FO. i'm just a fan. So at some point, for the sake of my sanity, i have to sigh and put my faith in the organization.

Remember how stoked we all were when this team was 5 and 1? ESPN mentioned Jauron as a possible COTY winner? Sure, we were playing sub-par teams, but it sure felt good to be winning. Then...the wheels came off. We were exposed for what we are, a team who struggles.

Losing seasons are nothing new. We're all growing weary of the mediocrity. Yet, we're still Bills fans at the end of the day. Or at least, i am.

Comment

• Historian
                          2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                          • Dec 2002

Yes, I will still got to every game next year.
                          And therein lies the problem.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                            • Dec 2005

Good post.

You said a lot of good points, and there is a good deal of young talent on this team.

But with a proven (bum) coach like Jauron it wont matter. He will always beat up on the cupcakes, get outcoached and often blown out by better teams, and most importantly, will find a way to lose 3-4 tight games per year against equals that will always disqualify us from post season.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                              Unreachable Douche
                              • Jul 2002

Dick will be gone next year after the Bills finish 4-12.

Would you rather have Dick's last year be 4-12 or whatever coach replaced him be 4-12 in his first year? It doesn't matter who the coach is next year, with the lack of talent on the field and the schedule they play, there is no way any coach would turn this team into a winner next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X