• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

I got news for you (talent wise)

All you guys who think Ralph's strategy will be to sign a few big time free agents this spring as a way for making up for keeping Jauron are going to be in for a let down, I just wanted to let you know that right now.

The Bills will spend the mass majority of their money IN HOUSE.

* Getting Trent Edwards locked up to a long term deal will be a top priority. If memory serves me correct he only signed for 3 years on his rookie deal and year three is coming. I remember Charlie Casserly saying earlier in the year he'd figure to cost $8-9 million per year.

* WHether you think its unpopular or not, getting Jason Peters done is the other big priority. Agreed or not, the guy has now made two straight Pro bowls at a premier position (LT)- he is drastically underpaid in regards to the TOp 10 paid LT in the NFL, and Buffalo was said they would negotiate with him when he returned last year. You can flame away, but if Buffalo does nothing with his contract again this offseason, the perception from the league will be worse than it already is (if possible). He'll have to be dealt with. Those of you who think Chambers is even in the same league are fools.

* Fred Jackson will get a substantial, much deserved raise.

* They already made a big "splash" by giving Lee Evans money.

So those of you thinking we're going out and getting a Suggs or Scott are fooling yourselves. We'll sign a few guys, maybe bring back Crowell, maybe get a few mid level players.

But anyone thinking at this point Ralph is going to spend his money on a few key guys, or trading for a guy like Gonzalez, are sadly mistaken-- again.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • Forward_Lateral
    • Mar 2004

Re: I got news for you (talent wise)

If they bring back Crowell, and he's close to 100%, it's a huge upgrade at that position, and eliminates a big need. It's like signing a FA, so I'd be happy in that regard.

I'm the biggest Trent supporter there is, but 8-9 million a season? Maybe with incentives, but guaranteed, I highly doubt it.

Letting Fred Jackson walk would be a huge mistake, IMO. Teams in the NFL absolutely NEED 2 Rbs, and Fred has proved that he can be the work horse if Lynch goes down. He's also a better receiver (than Lynch).

I believe Bryan Scott is also a FA, and he should be resigned, and Ko Simpson should be relegated to bench/ST duties. An upgrade might be needed in the safety department, but Scott seemed to do very well at SS. Whitner didn't really do much at FS, but he didn't do much at SS either.

I'd say, top priorties, again asuming they resign Crowell, which is possible, but just as unlikely, and asuming they sign the aforementioned players, are Center, DE, DT depth and possibly another Corner. Saying TE is pointless, because there are no FA TEs out ther ethat are any better than what Buffalo already has. I say corner because I doubt Greer will be re-signed (I hope he is), and Youboty in all likelyhood should be cut. That would leave McGee, McKelvin and Corner as the team's main CBs.

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
      If they bring back Crowell, and he's close to 100%, it's a huge upgrade at that position, and eliminates a big need. It's like signing a FA, so I'd be happy in that regard.

I'm the biggest Trent supporter there is, but 8-9 million a season? Maybe with incentives, but guaranteed, I highly doubt it.

Letting Fred Jackson walk would be a huge mistake, IMO. Teams in the NFL absolutely NEED 2 Rbs, and Fred has proved that he can be the work horse if Lynch goes down. He's also a better receiver (than Lynch).

I believe Bryan Scott is also a FA, and he should be resigned, and Ko Simpson should be relegated to bench/ST duties. An upgrade might be needed in the safety department, but Scott seemed to do very well at SS. Whitner didn't really do much at FS, but he didn't do much at SS either.

I'd say, top priorties, again asuming they resign Crowell, which is possible, but just as unlikely, and asuming they sign the aforementioned players, are Center, DE, DT depth and possibly another Corner. Saying TE is pointless, because there are no FA TEs out ther ethat are any better than what Buffalo already has. I say corner because I doubt Greer will be re-signed (I hope he is), and Youboty in all likelyhood should be cut. That would leave McGee, McKelvin and Corner as the team's main CBs.
      I agree with everything you said, other than Trent Edwards can and WILL GET PAID-- what are their options, start OVER again at QB in 2010???

Anyway, they'll do all their work in house, and even Ralph says we're not talented enough.

Expect 1-2 midtier signings at best.. My point was some people expect us to be extremely aggresssive in FA.. Those people are going to be in for a letdown.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Don't Panic
        All-Pro Zoner
        • Dec 2005

I agree pat, and I think his press release said as much. The draft will be the focus... not FA. Peters, Edwards, Jackson... maybe Crowell. If htere was one position I'd like to see filled by FA it would be C. If we could bring in a high end C, I'd feel confident about filling our other needs via the draft, although it would be tought to get both a contributing DE and TE out of our first two picks. But we know Ralph is going to be cheap, so it is best not to expect too much via FA.

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

If the price tag on Trent is 8-9 million, he can play this year without a new deal and actually earn that money. He has shown very little so far to even come close to that figure.
          COMING SOON...
          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Mahdi
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by patmoran2006
            All you guys who think Ralph's strategy will be to sign a few big time free agents this spring as a way for making up for keeping Jauron are going to be in for a let down, I just wanted to let you know that right now.

The Bills will spend the mass majority of their money IN HOUSE.

* Getting Trent Edwards locked up to a long term deal will be a top priority. If memory serves me correct he only signed for 3 years on his rookie deal and year three is coming. I remember Charlie Casserly saying earlier in the year he'd figure to cost $8-9 million per year.

* WHether you think its unpopular or not, getting Jason Peters done is the other big priority. Agreed or not, the guy has now made two straight Pro bowls at a premier position (LT)- he is drastically underpaid in regards to the TOp 10 paid LT in the NFL, and Buffalo was said they would negotiate with him when he returned last year. You can flame away, but if Buffalo does nothing with his contract again this offseason, the perception from the league will be worse than it already is (if possible). He'll have to be dealt with. Those of you who think Chambers is even in the same league are fools.

* They already made a big "splash" by giving Lee Evans money.

So those of you thinking we're going out and getting a Suggs or Scott are fooling yourselves. We'll sign a few guys, maybe bring back Crowell, maybe get a few mid level players.

But anyone thinking at this point Ralph is going to spend his money on a few key guys, or trading for a guy like Gonzalez, are sadly mistaken-- again.
            I'll be happy if we sign a C, either Birk or Jason Brown and a safety like Sean Jones. After that signing Crowell to a modest contract and giving Jackson a decent tender will be enough. The rest is done in the draft.

Comment

• baalworship
              • May 2003

Edwards has not shown enough to warrant an extension. Period.

Comment

• elltrain22
                • Sep 2003

You forgot to mention that Ralph intends to spend a huge amount of $$$$$ on Depends, so that he doesn't shart himself too much. I've heard he is also very interested in buying a new hearing aide that will help him hear up to 10% more!!!
                If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                  • Feb 2005

Edwards is signed through 2010... He signed a 4 year deal.
                  Find all the latest Rotoworld fantasy sports news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

That shifts internal signing priorities to...

Angelo Crowell - Top 2 offseason need.
                  Jason Peters - Gotta put this to bed... He obviously needs OTA's and training camp.
                  Fred Jackson - Tender his ass.
                  Duke Preston - Versatile depth for any inside position.
                  Kirk Chambers - Versatile depth for either T position.

Josh Reed is another we gotta think about... His contract expires after 2009. I hear he's got a pretty severe back problem... It could force him to drop off or retire at some point.

Top 4 needs from the draft given the FA situation as it stands right now...

DE
                  OLB
                  DE
                  C
                  G
                  TE
                  QB
                  Last edited by Yasgur's Farm; 12-31-2008, 08:30 AM.

Comment

• Griz78
                    • Sep 2002

It is smart to get Peters locked up, I think the camp time missed hurt the running game also. It seemed to get better at the end even vs the Jets and Pats.

The positions we need anyways, DE and TE, there is no one worth the big bucks who will be available. Suggs and Peppers will get tagged.

I'd be happy with Crowell back if healthy and maybe Trent can get his buddy OJ Atogwe from St.Louis to come here. C would be helpful also but I don't know if one will come here. I am thinking DE, C, TE will be our first three draft picks.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                      • Aug 2004

[quote=draz54]Edwards is signed through 2010... He signed a 4 year deal.

That shifts internal signing priorities to...
                      Angelo Crowell
                      Jason Peters
                      Fred Jackson
                      Duke Preston

You are right Sir! I don't think they are going to touch Edwards' contract at all. He just finished his 2nd year. Now next year he's a RFA so if he continues to improve, someone may take a run at him. But you know the Bills can match and they'll match in that case regardless who they have to sacrifice.

Crowell - gone, I don't think the coaches like him as much as we do.
                      Peters - will be extended based on the verbal agreement
                      Jackson - EFA, he'll be here, though I think the Bills will try to lock him long term without upseting Marshawn too much.
                      Preston - Probably no more than $1 mil per contract offer. The Bills need to upgrade here. So they'll look around. I wonder if Butler can play center. Supposedly Bell is impressing Chris Brown for improvement, I'm thinking if the Bills will try him at RT and move the right side towards the middle and draft a center.

Comment

• Coach Sal
                        • Aug 2006

A few comments, Pat.

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                        *Getting Trent Edwards locked up to a long term deal will be a top priority. If memory serves me correct he only signed for 3 years on his rookie deal and year three is coming. I remember Charlie Casserly saying earlier in the year he'd figure to cost $8-9 million per year.
                        He signed a 4-year deal. He's signed through 2010. They still may want to renegotiate an extension, but considering the way he played after his hot start, plus his injuries, I don't think there's going to be any rush to get him signed to a long-term deal right now.

He's only scheduled to make 460K next season and 550K in 2010. Great price for a starting QB.

I believe what they'll do is wait until next next season starts (or maybe late this offseason) before even talking about an extension, but not signing a new one until after. That way, he's guaranteed to still play for only the 460K next season, and you still have a nice window to get the new deal done before his contract year.

As far as the $8-$9 Mil/year, last year's #12 paid QB made exactly $8 Mil (Derek Anderson). So, I think that sounds just about right for where his agent and the Bills will slot him on a new deal.

When Peters was going through his holdout, I was told by someone that there was no way he was getting a new deal this year, even if he came back. I know there are a lot of people pretty pissed at what he's pulling. But considering they told him they would renegotiate, I think they will. That doesn't mean, however, that they will actually come to an agreement. The Bills know he still has 2-years left and has no leverage. So, I think they may open negotiations to appease him, but I still don't see a new deal any time soon.

That's just my opinion on this one. You could be very well right that he gets a fat new deal before next season.

He deserves a raise. But the Bills are in a great position with Freddy. He's an Exclusive Rights Free Agent, so he only has to be tendered the 3-year vet minimum and the Bills still own him for another year no matter what. Then, even if that happens and he plays at that salary next season, he would only be a RFA after 2009, and the Bills would still have the right to first refusal and/or tender him enough $$ that he would fetch a 1st rounder if another team signed him.

So, they have a lot of options with Jackson. And the Bills hold the cards in all of them.

I won't mind no matter how they play it, because either way they won't lose him, and he'll most likely be compensated at some point anyway, which he deserves.

I don't see them signing a big-money top-tier FA either. Ralph also has to pay a #11 pick again. That cost him $20 mil (for 4 years), including almost $13 Mil guaranteed last season for McKelvin.

But I don't see Crow coming back. Someone will make him an offer that we aren't willing to pay.

But they have signed/traded for a few guys over the past few offseasons (for better or worse) that cost a little more money than I thought they'd be willing to spend (Stroud, Mitchell, Dockery, Walker), so I would expect them to do that again.
                        Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
                        And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Comment

• SABuffalo786
                          • Feb 2003

All the moves you mentioned I really wouldn't have a problem with. I really do think we have the right players, but Dick and Modrak will find a way to **** it all up again.
                          "Do me a favor, say a prayer for brother Timmy. And tip a cold one. Go Bills." - Tom Brokaw

We are the Rockpile
                          We are the Rockpile
                          We are the Rockpile
                          BUFF-A-LO

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                            Zero for Zero!
                            • Mar 2003

Pat, you have said the same exact thing two years in a row (at least).

In those two years the Bills have signed or traded for Dockery, Walker, Stroud and Mitchell.

Why should we believe you now?
                            Originally posted by mysticsoto
                            Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Pat, you have said the same exact thing two years in a row (at least).

In those two years the Bills have signed or traded for Dockery, Walker, Stroud and Mitchell.

Why should we believe you now?

Because eventually constant negativity and whining will make him correct.
                              COMING SOON...
                              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X