PDA

View Full Version : I got news for you (talent wise)

patmoran2006
12-31-2008, 06:25 AM
All you guys who think Ralph's strategy will be to sign a few big time free agents this spring as a way for making up for keeping Jauron are going to be in for a let down, I just wanted to let you know that right now.

The Bills will spend the mass majority of their money IN HOUSE.

* Getting Trent Edwards locked up to a long term deal will be a top priority. If memory serves me correct he only signed for 3 years on his rookie deal and year three is coming. I remember Charlie Casserly saying earlier in the year he'd figure to cost $8-9 million per year.

* WHether you think its unpopular or not, getting Jason Peters done is the other big priority. Agreed or not, the guy has now made two straight Pro bowls at a premier position (LT)- he is drastically underpaid in regards to the TOp 10 paid LT in the NFL, and Buffalo was said they would negotiate with him when he returned last year. You can flame away, but if Buffalo does nothing with his contract again this offseason, the perception from the league will be worse than it already is (if possible). He'll have to be dealt with. Those of you who think Chambers is even in the same league are fools.

* Fred Jackson will get a substantial, much deserved raise.

* They already made a big "splash" by giving Lee Evans money.

So those of you thinking we're going out and getting a Suggs or Scott are fooling yourselves. We'll sign a few guys, maybe bring back Crowell, maybe get a few mid level players.

But anyone thinking at this point Ralph is going to spend his money on a few key guys, or trading for a guy like Gonzalez, are sadly mistaken-- again.

Forward_Lateral
12-31-2008, 06:34 AM
If they bring back Crowell, and he's close to 100%, it's a huge upgrade at that position, and eliminates a big need. It's like signing a FA, so I'd be happy in that regard.

I'm the biggest Trent supporter there is, but 8-9 million a season? :rofl: Maybe with incentives, but guaranteed, I highly doubt it.

Letting Fred Jackson walk would be a huge mistake, IMO. Teams in the NFL absolutely NEED 2 Rbs, and Fred has proved that he can be the work horse if Lynch goes down. He's also a better receiver (than Lynch).

I believe Bryan Scott is also a FA, and he should be resigned, and Ko Simpson should be relegated to bench/ST duties. An upgrade might be needed in the safety department, but Scott seemed to do very well at SS. Whitner didn't really do much at FS, but he didn't do much at SS either.

I'd say, top priorties, again asuming they resign Crowell, which is possible, but just as unlikely, and asuming they sign the aforementioned players, are Center, DE, DT depth and possibly another Corner. Saying TE is pointless, because there are no FA TEs out ther ethat are any better than what Buffalo already has. I say corner because I doubt Greer will be re-signed (I hope he is), and Youboty in all likelyhood should be cut. That would leave McGee, McKelvin and Corner as the team's main CBs.

patmoran2006
12-31-2008, 06:40 AM
If they bring back Crowell, and he's close to 100%, it's a huge upgrade at that position, and eliminates a big need. It's like signing a FA, so I'd be happy in that regard.

I'm the biggest Trent supporter there is, but 8-9 million a season? :rofl: Maybe with incentives, but guaranteed, I highly doubt it.

Letting Fred Jackson walk would be a huge mistake, IMO. Teams in the NFL absolutely NEED 2 Rbs, and Fred has proved that he can be the work horse if Lynch goes down. He's also a better receiver (than Lynch).

I believe Bryan Scott is also a FA, and he should be resigned, and Ko Simpson should be relegated to bench/ST duties. An upgrade might be needed in the safety department, but Scott seemed to do very well at SS. Whitner didn't really do much at FS, but he didn't do much at SS either.

I'd say, top priorties, again asuming they resign Crowell, which is possible, but just as unlikely, and asuming they sign the aforementioned players, are Center, DE, DT depth and possibly another Corner. Saying TE is pointless, because there are no FA TEs out ther ethat are any better than what Buffalo already has. I say corner because I doubt Greer will be re-signed (I hope he is), and Youboty in all likelyhood should be cut. That would leave McGee, McKelvin and Corner as the team's main CBs.
I agree with everything you said, other than Trent Edwards can and WILL GET PAID-- what are their options, start OVER again at QB in 2010???

Anyway, they'll do all their work in house, and even Ralph says we're not talented enough.

Expect 1-2 midtier signings at best.. My point was some people expect us to be extremely aggresssive in FA.. Those people are going to be in for a letdown.

Don't Panic
12-31-2008, 06:41 AM
I agree pat, and I think his press release said as much. The draft will be the focus... not FA. Peters, Edwards, Jackson... maybe Crowell. If htere was one position I'd like to see filled by FA it would be C. If we could bring in a high end C, I'd feel confident about filling our other needs via the draft, although it would be tought to get both a contributing DE and TE out of our first two picks. But we know Ralph is going to be cheap, so it is best not to expect too much via FA.

DraftBoy
12-31-2008, 07:21 AM
If the price tag on Trent is 8-9 million, he can play this year without a new deal and actually earn that money. He has shown very little so far to even come close to that figure.

Mahdi
12-31-2008, 07:41 AM
All you guys who think Ralph's strategy will be to sign a few big time free agents this spring as a way for making up for keeping Jauron are going to be in for a let down, I just wanted to let you know that right now.

* Getting Trent Edwards locked up to a long term deal will be a top priority. If memory serves me correct he only signed for 3 years on his rookie deal and year three is coming. I remember Charlie Casserly saying earlier in the year he'd figure to cost $8-9 million per year.

* WHether you think its unpopular or not, getting Jason Peters done is the other big priority. Agreed or not, the guy has now made two straight Pro bowls at a premier position (LT)- he is drastically underpaid in regards to the TOp 10 paid LT in the NFL, and Buffalo was said they would negotiate with him when he returned last year. You can flame away, but if Buffalo does nothing with his contract again this offseason, the perception from the league will be worse than it already is (if possible). He'll have to be dealt with. Those of you who think Chambers is even in the same league are fools.

So those of you thinking we're going out and getting a Suggs or Scott are fooling yourselves. We'll sign a few guys, maybe bring back Crowell, maybe get a few mid level players.

But anyone thinking at this point Ralph is going to spend his money on a few key guys, or trading for a guy like Gonzalez, are sadly mistaken-- again.
I'll be happy if we sign a C, either Birk or Jason Brown and a safety like Sean Jones. After that signing Crowell to a modest contract and giving Jackson a decent tender will be enough. The rest is done in the draft.

baalworship
12-31-2008, 07:54 AM
Edwards has not shown enough to warrant an extension. Period.

elltrain22
12-31-2008, 08:11 AM
You forgot to mention that Ralph intends to spend a huge amount of $$$$$ on Depends, so that he doesn't shart himself too much. I've heard he is also very interested in buying a new hearing aide that will help him hear up to 10% more!!!

Yasgur's Farm
12-31-2008, 08:15 AM
Edwards is signed through 2010... He signed a 4 year deal.
http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_relatednews.aspx?sport=nfl&id=4220

That shifts internal signing priorities to...

Angelo Crowell - Top 2 offseason need.
Jason Peters - Gotta put this to bed... He obviously needs OTA's and training camp.
Fred Jackson - Tender his ass.
Duke Preston - Versatile depth for any inside position.
Kirk Chambers - Versatile depth for either T position.

Josh Reed is another we gotta think about... His contract expires after 2009. I hear he's got a pretty severe back problem... It could force him to drop off or retire at some point.

Top 4 needs from the draft given the FA situation as it stands right now...

DE
OLB
DE
C
G
TE
QB

Griz78
12-31-2008, 08:23 AM
It is smart to get Peters locked up, I think the camp time missed hurt the running game also. It seemed to get better at the end even vs the Jets and Pats.

The positions we need anyways, DE and TE, there is no one worth the big bucks who will be available. Suggs and Peppers will get tagged.

I'd be happy with Crowell back if healthy and maybe Trent can get his buddy OJ Atogwe from St.Louis to come here. C would be helpful also but I don't know if one will come here. I am thinking DE, C, TE will be our first three draft picks.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-31-2008, 08:27 AM
[quote=draz54]Edwards is signed through 2010... He signed a 4 year deal.

Angelo Crowell
Jason Peters
Fred Jackson
Duke Preston

You are right Sir! I don't think they are going to touch Edwards' contract at all. He just finished his 2nd year. Now next year he's a RFA so if he continues to improve, someone may take a run at him. But you know the Bills can match and they'll match in that case regardless who they have to sacrifice.

Crowell - gone, I don't think the coaches like him as much as we do.
Peters - will be extended based on the verbal agreement
Jackson - EFA, he'll be here, though I think the Bills will try to lock him long term without upseting Marshawn too much.
Preston - Probably no more than $1 mil per contract offer. The Bills need to upgrade here. So they'll look around. I wonder if Butler can play center. Supposedly Bell is impressing Chris Brown for improvement, I'm thinking if the Bills will try him at RT and move the right side towards the middle and draft a center.

Coach Sal
12-31-2008, 08:30 AM
A few comments, Pat.

*Getting Trent Edwards locked up to a long term deal will be a top priority. If memory serves me correct he only signed for 3 years on his rookie deal and year three is coming. I remember Charlie Casserly saying earlier in the year he'd figure to cost $8-9 million per year.

He signed a 4-year deal. He's signed through 2010. They still may want to renegotiate an extension, but considering the way he played after his hot start, plus his injuries, I don't think there's going to be any rush to get him signed to a long-term deal right now.

He's only scheduled to make 460K next season and 550K in 2010. Great price for a starting QB.

I believe what they'll do is wait until next next season starts (or maybe late this offseason) before even talking about an extension, but not signing a new one until after. That way, he's guaranteed to still play for only the 460K next season, and you still have a nice window to get the new deal done before his contract year.

As far as the $8-$9 Mil/year, last year's #12 paid QB made exactly $8 Mil (Derek Anderson). So, I think that sounds just about right for where his agent and the Bills will slot him on a new deal.

When Peters was going through his holdout, I was told by someone that there was no way he was getting a new deal this year, even if he came back. I know there are a lot of people pretty pissed at what he's pulling. But considering they told him they would renegotiate, I think they will. That doesn't mean, however, that they will actually come to an agreement. The Bills know he still has 2-years left and has no leverage. So, I think they may open negotiations to appease him, but I still don't see a new deal any time soon.

That's just my opinion on this one. You could be very well right that he gets a fat new deal before next season.

He deserves a raise. But the Bills are in a great position with Freddy. He's an Exclusive Rights Free Agent, so he only has to be tendered the 3-year vet minimum and the Bills still own him for another year no matter what. Then, even if that happens and he plays at that salary next season, he would only be a RFA after 2009, and the Bills would still have the right to first refusal and/or tender him enough $$ that he would fetch a 1st rounder if another team signed him.

So, they have a lot of options with Jackson. And the Bills hold the cards in all of them.

I won't mind no matter how they play it, because either way they won't lose him, and he'll most likely be compensated at some point anyway, which he deserves.

I don't see them signing a big-money top-tier FA either. Ralph also has to pay a #11 pick again. That cost him $20 mil (for 4 years), including almost $13 Mil guaranteed last season for McKelvin.

But I don't see Crow coming back. Someone will make him an offer that we aren't willing to pay.

But they have signed/traded for a few guys over the past few offseasons (for better or worse) that cost a little more money than I thought they'd be willing to spend (Stroud, Mitchell, Dockery, Walker), so I would expect them to do that again.

SABuffalo786
12-31-2008, 08:46 AM
All the moves you mentioned I really wouldn't have a problem with. I really do think we have the right players, but Dick and Modrak will find a way to **** it all up again.

Dr. Lecter
12-31-2008, 09:04 AM
Pat, you have said the same exact thing two years in a row (at least).

In those two years the Bills have signed or traded for Dockery, Walker, Stroud and Mitchell.

Why should we believe you now?

DraftBoy
12-31-2008, 09:09 AM

In those two years the Bills have signed or traded for Dockery, Walker, Stroud and Mitchell.

Because eventually constant negativity and whining will make him correct.

Michael82
12-31-2008, 09:43 AM

Good point! :rofl:

FreeSafety36
12-31-2008, 10:02 AM
I have a feeling they'll sign a couple overrated players in FA. My guess is Royal gets cut and they sign LJ Smith (no I don't like it either). My other guess is DE Bertrand Berry. Maybe Patrick Ramsey as backup QB. YUCK to all 3. Then in the draft, I'm guessing they go after OLB Brian Cushing. LBs don't command nearly as much $ as the DE we deperately need.

All horrible moves, but they'll spin it as Berry was stuck in the desert and ready to 'break out', LJ Smith will make the offense 'dangerous' and Cushing is the next Derrick Brooks. Then they go 5-11 in 2009.

madness
12-31-2008, 10:11 AM
Just like in real life... the coach always does more homework than the reporter. :D

jamze132
12-31-2008, 10:30 AM
I don't see any huge upgrades this offseason, but one can dream, eh?

RockStar36
12-31-2008, 10:36 AM
I could see them making a big free agent signing, only to get the spin machines running again and sell those tickets.

Mr. Pink
12-31-2008, 10:52 AM
It might be time to do the big flashy thing at the draft....

And draft either Sam Bradford or Matthew Stafford.

Draft either one of those guys and fans will come in droves.

ParanoidAndroid
12-31-2008, 11:01 AM
Edwards is signed through 2010... He signed a 4 year deal.
http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_relatednews.aspx?sport=nfl&id=4220

Angelo Crowell - Top 2 offseason need.
Jason Peters - Gotta put this to bed... He obviously needs OTA's and training camp.
Fred Jackson - Tender his ass.
Duke Preston - Versatile depth for any inside position.
Kirk Chambers - Versatile depth for either T position.

Josh Reed is another we gotta think about... His contract expires after 2009. I hear he's got a pretty severe back problem... It could force him to drop off or retire at some point.

DE
OLB
DE
C
G
TE
QB

Good stuff! The re-signings you mention are good ones. Plese add Bryan Scott to that list and we're good. I have to disagree somewhat with your draft priorities, though.
I do agree that DE is #1.
If Crowell is back, we can wait until 4 or 5 to get a back-up OLB. A healthy Bowen has a chance, but I put no stock in that. Re-signing Ellison as depth wouldn't be terrible.
I would move C up to #2 and TE to #3.

yordad
12-31-2008, 11:41 AM

DE
OLB
DE
C
G
TE
QBI think it is DE, OLB, C, TE, S, QB, DE respectively. I would like to straight cut Dock, and put that at the top too. He is garbage, but his salary it too huge to put him on the bench.

Yasgur's Farm
12-31-2008, 11:48 AM
Good stuff! The re-signings you mention are good ones. Plese add Bryan Scott to that list and we're good. (Ahh yes... Bryan Scott has to be a priority as well). I have to disagree somewhat with your draft priorities, though.
I do agree that DE is #1.
If Crowell is back, we can wait until 4 or 5 to get a back-up OLB. (I agree... But as I stated "as it stands right now" without a FA OLB (Crowell) signed). A healthy Bowen has a chance, but I put no stock in that. Re-signing Ellison as depth wouldn't be terrible. (I wouldn't put a gun to my head if we re-signed Ellison... AS BACK-UP ONLY!).
I would move C up to #2 and TE to #3. (Agree about C if we sign Crowell or equivalent... Max Unger or Jonathan Luigs or even Alex Mack would be a nice fit. As for TE... Fine looks to be a good one. I'll stick with him and Schouman and maybe even Robert "I drop every other ball" Royal).

Yasgur's Farm
12-31-2008, 11:50 AM
I think it is DE, OLB, C, TE, S, QB, DE respectively. I would like to straight cut Dock, and put that at the top too. He is garbage, but his salary it too huge to put him on the bench.I go with 2 DE's in our top 3 picks because I've given up on Schobel and maybe Kelsay too... I wouldn't be surprised if they're salary cuts in favor of freeing up FA monies. (I'm not talking about cap $'s... I'm talking Ralph $'s).

Jeff1220
12-31-2008, 01:11 PM
DE and C are the first 2 priorities imo, with LB closely following. After that, I'd love to see a legit WR like Housh opposite Lee. If they had another WR like that, the TE position would be serviceable as is. A back-up QB is necessary...maybe a guy like Kitna, who has been very good as a back-up, but not over the long stretch as a starter.

yordad
12-31-2008, 07:55 PM
I go with 2 DE's in our top 3 picks because I've given up on Schobel and maybe Kelsay too... I wouldn't be surprised if they're salary cuts in favor of freeing up FA monies. (I'm not talking about cap $'s... I'm talking Ralph $'s).Hey, I'm all for straight cutting Kelsey too. But after finding 1 suitable DE, nabbing a second guy who will come in better then a healthy, although mediocre, Schobel isn't likely, IMO. And Ellis might do something in year 2.

Ideally it would be nice to find a force that can step in the right side, up grade the position to a play maker, then transition Schobel to the left.

jimbohastle51
12-31-2008, 08:14 PM
[quote=patmoran2006]All you guys who think Ralph's strategy will be to sign a few big time free agents this spring as a way for making up for keeping Jauron are going to be in for a let down, I just wanted to let you know that right now.

But anyone thinking at this point Ralph is going to spend his money on a few key guys, or trading for a guy like Gonzalez, are sadly mistaken-- again.[/quoted

some good points pat.... edwards did only sign for 3 years but i am sure they will wait on him till mid season to see how he starts off, and he will be a restricted free agent at season end so we can always match any offer given to him to make him stay. either way you are right in 2009 edwards will be getting paid, as well as peters and i dont care what people on this forum think of peters, he isnt going anywhere, the front office might hate to do it but he will get his money. fred jackson i dont know he is 29 so they might just tender him this season and then do something with him next year. after next season he will be 30 and being a RB he will be cheaper. regardless though he WILL be a bill next year. now to crowell.... i deffinatly think he'll be back. because of his injury and how deep the LB free agency will be his best bet at his young age is to stay sign a 2-3 year deal prove he is healthy and still an above average LB then at 31 or so test the market if he wants to leave. honestly he might be the cheapest of all of the bills that are addressed this off season besides jackson. we will bring in one big name though. either a trade for a DE or TE or we sign a DE (there are no real special TE's on the market this year)

Typ0
12-31-2008, 10:28 PM
I think they should play hardball with Peters and not even talk to him until he reports to camp because he's a ***** who might be on the unemployment line if it weren't for this organization. It sucks that we missed on so many guys and we breed this one into something and he tries to hold us hostage. screw him.

It would be beneficial to not allow Edwards to hit the market in any way especially if they can tie contract dollars into performance numbers. Pay him healthy if he makes hurdles which guarantees he's on the field.

We also will get another QB, DE, LB, DT, C...all those guys need to be very good first team players. And then some depth unless we don't bring back Jackson then we need to fill that position as well. We also could use better CB, S, WR [we have the players there but some are too young and not ready yet], TE and time to bag Lindell for a kicker who can hit longer ones. There is a lot of work to do really if they can get eighty percent of it done we'll be a lot better.

superbills
01-01-2009, 12:24 AM
I think they should play hardball with Peters and not even talk to him until he reports to camp because he's a ***** who might be on the unemployment line if it weren't for this organization. It sucks that we missed on so many guys and we breed this one into something and he tries to hold us hostage. screw him.

Fabulous. We all need to have this argument again. We tried the hardball thing this past year. Look at how well that turned out for us. Like it or not we need his fat greedy ass in camp and ready to go. If that takes giving him top left tackle dollar, then so be it. As has been pointed out ad nauseam left tackles do not grow on trees. Pray tell, what do we do for a left tackle once we say "screw him"?

jimbohastle51
01-01-2009, 01:03 AM
ya know now thinking more about trent edwards only having one year left on his contract.... i hope everyone remembers that tony romo got 6yrs 60 million for basically 1 full season and aaron rodgers got just about the same and has done about the same as edwards has so this is a real big deal! if and when he gets his extension from the front office it will be a HUGE amount of cap space just between him and evans, after you figure a couple of FA agents here and there and a top 15 pick in the draft along with a probable peters extension, you could very well be looking at the bills team of the next 4-7 years (new coach or not) cause now a days everyone is locked up with guaranteed money, so we better win soon because we wont just be able to cut some of the guys!!! there will be serious serious serious cap ramifications if things dont pan out with the core guys the front office is handing money out too. for instance if trent doesnt keep improving after 2 years (i dont think this will happen but he WILL be getting paid as you can ALL see ralph has a hard on for him and praises him every chance he gets) and peters gets paid and stops playing hard (again i dont think it would happen but he does have his moments) and evans just doesnt live up to 9 million a year(as much as i love him he is only 5'10 and hasnt done anything close to what steve smith has done even during loosing seasons the panthers have had) i just hope everything works out cause it really feels like we are starting to get a really good team together even when we all pick a couple players that need "replacing" it isnt like we are tearing the team down like we all used to (remember guys it was only a couple seasons ago we would all say "we need a whole offense that would be awesome" instead of "if we only had a center and tight end") theres talent and hope, i just "hope" we can get it right.

Typ0
01-01-2009, 01:09 AM
Fabulous. We all need to have this argument again. We tried the hardball thing this past year. Look at how well that turned out for us. Like it or not we need his fat greedy ass in camp and ready to go. If that takes giving him top left tackle dollar, then so be it. As has been pointed out ad nauseam left tackles do not grow on trees. Pray tell, what do we do for a left tackle once we say "screw him"?

He's got what, two years left on his contract now? He played like crap most of the season and still made the pro bowl and people think he's guaranteed worth those big $$$. I don't know if the people at OBD agree with you and they know a hell of a lot more. The pro bowl is a joke and the players put him there because he held out and it was a vote of confidence. He's not going to hold out again. The only way he doesn't have to show up and perform at a high level is if the big contract gets done!

Coach Sal
01-01-2009, 08:20 AM
So much misinformation in this post.

...edwards did only sign for 3 years but i am sure they will wait on him till mid season to see how he starts off, and he will be a restricted free agent at season end so we can always match any offer given to him to make him stay.

As already pointed out, he signed a 4-year deal. He will not be any sort of FA after next season. He'll be an unrestricted free agent after 2010. No need to re-do his deal for another season.

fred jackson i dont know he is 29 so they might just tender him this season and then do something with him next year. after next season he will be 30 and being a RB he will be cheaper.

He's 27 now and wil be 28 after next season. They'll tender him this year, and even after next year he can only be an RFA.

Yasgur's Farm
01-01-2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks coach... It amazes me how many people just wing it.

Yasgur's Farm
01-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Hey, I'm all for straight cutting Kelsey too. But after finding 1 suitable DE, nabbing a second guy who will come in better then a healthy, although mediocre, Schobel isn't likely, IMO. And Ellis might do something in year 2.

Ideally it would be nice to find a force that can step in the right side, up grade the position to a play maker, then transition Schobel to the left.Valid points.

jimbohastle51
01-01-2009, 02:48 PM
So much misinformation in this post.

As already pointed out, he signed a 4-year deal. He will not be any sort of FA after next season. He'll be an unrestricted free agent after 2010. No need to re-do his deal for another season.

He's 27 now and wil be 28 after next season. They'll tender him this year, and even after next year he can only be an RFA.

thanks for the clarifications coach... if jackson is 27 and they have his rights for 2 more seasons that is perfect cause we will get him through his prime and even when he is 29-30 when he is eligible for UFA he will probably be affordable if we choose to keep him.

with trent if he shows more progress this season he will probably get an extension at seasons end would you think coach? especially seeing how ralph loves the kid. have you heard anything about a trent edwards extension or future plans for him beyond this season? (ralph has made it clear he is the guy next season)