PDA

View Full Version : "The Players Love Jauron"

OpIv37
12-31-2008, 08:28 AM
I'm really sick of hearing this.

Yes, it's one of the few positives about this guy. But the players loving him DOESN'T make him qualified to do his job.

He cuts practices short. He cuts OTA's short. He gives them days off after losses. He lets them practice inside in winter.

I've had managers who were the same way. They didn't care if we got there late or left early. We didn't need advance notice to use leave. They didn't make us keep up with documentation, etc. It was a very relaxed work environment.

The problem was that we never got anything done. The guy treated the client the same way, never got the information we needed out of them, never clearly communicated our status to them, etc, and the project was a complete mess. That manager is a good guy and he makes a great drinking buddy, but he sucks at his job.

So, it could very well be that the players like him because he doesn't make them DO anything. From all indications, Jauron is the anti-Bellicheck in terms of personality and how he treats people, which is a good thing, but it doesn't make him qualified to coach an NFL team.

Night Train
12-31-2008, 08:31 AM
Then he's completely outcoached on gameday against any team with a .500 record or better.

SABuffalo786
12-31-2008, 08:32 AM
Spot on. It's Club Jauron over there.

Children would love the parent that lets them eat candy for dinner and stay up all night.

And whose fault is it when they get bad grades at school and have their teeth rotted out by age 13?

trapezeus
12-31-2008, 08:34 AM
you've described Michael Scott from "The Office". who's dwight in this situation?

OpIv37
12-31-2008, 08:36 AM
you've described Michael Scott from "The Office". who's dwight in this situation?

I don't know but we fans are Toby. We're the only ones trying to do the right thing, and we're constantly made to look like fools because of it.

patmoran2006
12-31-2008, 08:38 AM
the biggest reason they love him is because a lot of them wouldnt have starting jobs or jobs at all for that matter with a different coach.

billsfanone
12-31-2008, 08:40 AM
He's probably a good guy. He's just a career loser as a game time coach.

billsburgh
12-31-2008, 08:57 AM
these players must really LOVE LOSING then, becasue they are never gonna win anything under this idiot.

Thurmal
12-31-2008, 09:52 AM
The work analogy is perfect.

Who wouldn't love a boss who always supported them, no matter how poor their performance? There are no consequences for these guys which, to them, is surely awesome. All the players live on Easy St.

justasportsfan
12-31-2008, 09:54 AM
Kelsay loves Dick the best. He became the team Capt. and got a huge raise under Dick for doing nothing.

billsburgh
12-31-2008, 09:56 AM
This is what pissed me off the most about this whole situation. All of these players coming out in full support of Jauron just shows that they are satisfied with losing year in and year out. Especially Kelsay who keeps whining about being in the league for 6 years now and never seeing the playoffs, but yet he wants to keep playing for the incompetent Jauron.

billsfanone
12-31-2008, 10:15 AM
This is what pissed me off the most about this whole situation. All of these players coming out in full support of Jauron just shows that they are satisfied with losing year in and year out. Especially Kelsay who keeps whining about being in the league for 6 years now and never seeing the playoffs, but yet he wants to keep playing for the incompetent Jauron.

What makes me even MORE mad is they don't realize hos incompetent Jauran is.

Forward_Lateral
12-31-2008, 10:21 AM
Jauron is like that uncle you had when you were a kid that let you get away with anything you wanted to. Horrible parent, but you loved him because you would never get in trouble for doing things wrong.

It's easy for players to love Dick when he never yells, screams, or disciplines the players. Players love Wade Phillips, for the same reasons. Look how he's doing.

jamze132
12-31-2008, 10:22 AM
the biggest reason they love him is because a lot of them wouldnt have starting jobs or jobs at all for that matter with a different coach.
No ****, half of our starters would be backups on 25 other teams...

historypete
12-31-2008, 10:29 AM
The other quote that I'd add to that is "we played hard" or "we play hard for him".

Well isn't that nice. Thanks for putting forth an effort. I guess though, looking back on it, that is something we should admire in some sense. With your coach screwing everything up during the game at least you still play hard to overcome that type of incompetence.

DrGraves
12-31-2008, 11:42 AM
the players need a slave driver to whip them into shape. not some dead guy.

Mr. Pink
12-31-2008, 11:48 AM
Could be worse?

They could hate him.

At least we know the players will go out and play hard every Sunday.

Not that their effort is good enough but they try.

The alternative would be, they all quit and not care.

topher180
12-31-2008, 12:05 PM
Fantastic post and spot on.

OpIv37
12-31-2008, 12:41 PM
Could be worse?

They could hate him.

At least we know the players will go out and play hard every Sunday.

Not that their effort is good enough but they try.

The alternative would be, they all quit and not care.

results are the same either way.

Mr. Pink
12-31-2008, 12:47 PM
results are the same either way.

At the end of the season, you're right...no playoffs.

But this team talent wise rivals the Lions...

So what's worse? 7-9 or 0-16?

At 7-9 you can still have optimism. At 0-16? all you can do is laugh or cry.

OpIv37
12-31-2008, 12:59 PM
But this team talent wise rivals the Lions...

You have a point although that's a slight exaggeration.

This is the piece I think you're missing. Do you honestly think a Cowher, Shotty or Billick loses the SF, Cleveland and Jets game? I don't- I think better coaching could have won all 3 of those despite our lack of talent.

And we're not getting better talent. We have morons in the FO. Whether it's drafting or FA's, they simply can't pick talent. So, we need a coach that can get the most out of what he's given. And that simply isn't Dick Jauron.

Mr. Pink
12-31-2008, 01:08 PM
You have a point although that's a slight exaggeration.

This is the piece I think you're missing. Do you honestly think a Cowher, Shotty or Billick loses the SF, Cleveland and Jets game? I don't- I think better coaching could have won all 3 of those despite our lack of talent.

And we're not getting better talent. We have morons in the FO. Whether it's drafting or FA's, they simply can't pick talent. So, we need a coach that can get the most out of what he's given. And that simply isn't Dick Jauron.

Yes. The calls in both the NYJ and CLE games are calls made not just by Jauron but league wide.

The players didn't execute in the situations presented to them, be it Lynch not gaining a few more yards vs Cleveland, Lindell missing a makebale kick, or Losman not securing the football/throwing it away.

SF? We were stuck watching a QB who physically wasn't able to play for a half...then go to watch a guy who doesn't belong in the league.

We lost those three games due to players not executing, not coaching. Unless you want to argue that in the SF and NYJ games that the coaching should have allowed Hamdan to play...not that he would have led the team to a victory either though.

How do you know Dick isn't getting almost all that's possible out of the so called talent? I've said it for a while now, talent wise, this team rivals expansion franchises. We're no better talent wise than the 0-16 Lions, except at QB. We got good QB play for about the half the year, they got it ummm well maybe one game? Calvin Johnson > Lee Evans and go down the rosters, their top players are better than ours and they have a bunch of equal junk like we do.

The real problem is the front office decisions on which "talent" to bring in to represent the team on the field. I'd sadly take Donahoe back at this point, he had a better eye for talent that what we got now. Too bad he didn't have an eye for a HC.

OpIv37
12-31-2008, 01:32 PM
Yes. The calls in both the NYJ and CLE games are calls made not just by Jauron but league wide.

The players didn't execute in the situations presented to them, be it Lynch not gaining a few more yards vs Cleveland, Lindell missing a makebale kick, or Losman not securing the football/throwing it away.

SF? We were stuck watching a QB who physically wasn't able to play for a half...then go to watch a guy who doesn't belong in the league.

We lost those three games due to players not executing, not coaching. Unless you want to argue that in the SF and NYJ games that the coaching should have allowed Hamdan to play...not that he would have led the team to a victory either though.

How do you know Dick isn't getting almost all that's possible out of the so called talent? I've said it for a while now, talent wise, this team rivals expansion franchises. We're no better talent wise than the 0-16 Lions, except at QB. We got good QB play for about the half the year, they got it ummm well maybe one game? Calvin Johnson > Lee Evans and go down the rosters, their top players are better than ours and they have a bunch of equal junk like we do.

The real problem is the front office decisions on which "talent" to bring in to represent the team on the field. I'd sadly take Donahoe back at this point, he had a better eye for talent that what we got now. Too bad he didn't have an eye for a HC.

they were the wrong play calls to begin with. Why would you put the ball in Losman's hands to throw to a FULLBACK who's already dropped 2 of the 3 balls thrown his way? The chances of the players not executing on that play is extremely high. That's why it's Jauron's fault.

Same with the Lynch run and the Lindell kick- we needed a play to get closer to increase the chances of Lindell making it. But instead, he was too passive, called a predictable play and set his players up to fail.

You said it yourself- the rest of the league has more talent. So why the **** is Jauron making the same calls that the rest of the league makes? That's illogical and not accounting for the talent (or lack thereof) that he has.

How do I know Jauron isn't getting all that's possible out of the talent? Because this team REGRESSED. We had the same record in 2007 despite a harder schedule, more injuries and not having the FA's picked up in the 08 offseason. That's how I know.

I agree on the FO decisions, but hiring Jauron in the first place was another bad FO decision, and keeping him was doubling the stupidity.

Typ0
12-31-2008, 05:14 PM
not being a ***** doesn't mean you are going to fail and being a ***** doesn't mean you are going to succeed. The entire focus of this thread is wrong and speaks of a bunch of frustrated people grasping at straws for an explanation that isn't really there.

OpIv37
12-31-2008, 06:33 PM
not being a ***** doesn't mean you are going to fail and being a ***** doesn't mean you are going to succeed. The entire focus of this thread is wrong and speaks of a bunch of frustrated people grasping at straws for an explanation that isn't really there.

did you even read what I wrote? This statement has absolutely nothing to do with anything that was discussed in this thread.

Making the players work harder and holding them accountable does not constitute being a *****. It constitutes being a good manager, and Jauron simply isn't.

Philagape
12-31-2008, 07:12 PM
The other quote that I'd add to that is "we played hard" or "we play hard for him".

Well isn't that nice. Thanks for putting forth an effort. I guess though, looking back on it, that is something we should admire in some sense. With your coach screwing everything up during the game at least you still play hard to overcome that type of incompetence.

Well, it's hard to admire players who need a reason to work hard besides the millions of dollars they're being paid.

Philagape
12-31-2008, 07:16 PM
not being a ***** doesn't mean you are going to fail

True, but they sure converge in this case.

It's not that Dick's critics are bashing him for being nice; it's that the players are using his being nice as a reason to support him.
When a coach is a failure, him being nice is irrelevant, so it's using that as a reason that's being criticized here.

Philagape
12-31-2008, 07:22 PM
they were the wrong play calls to begin with. Why would you put the ball in Losman's hands to throw to a FULLBACK who's already dropped 2 of the 3 balls thrown his way? The chances of the players not executing on that play is extremely high. That's why it's Jauron's fault.

Gotta disagree there. The easy and obvious solution for JP would have been to throw the ball away. And if the FB dropped it, it's an incomplete pass. Either way, no harm done. It was a wrong call, but extremely low risk. The execution made it a disaster.

yordad
12-31-2008, 07:56 PM
"The Players Love Jauron"

Everyone says that about their boss when they know their boss will hear about it. I don't buy it.

Mr. Pink
12-31-2008, 08:02 PM
"The Players Love Jauron"

Everyone says that about their boss when they know their boss will hear about it. I don't buy it.

Their play at least shows they respect Jauron.

Which is what you want anyways.

If they didn't, they would have quit.

You can blame them for sucking, which they do, but you can't say they quit.

DynaPaul
01-01-2009, 08:03 AM

It's not necessary to be a hardass to get the players to perform. You just need to set the rules for discipline and hold the players accountable for their errors. A good manager walks the fine between good guy and disciplinarian. Dick is one extreme of a manager, the nice guy, and what we need is someone in the middle not the other extreme. Yes, a player can think of a coach as a friend while respecting him and not wanting to piss him off for a dumb play. These players don't have that. Dick just takes it too easy on them.