PDA

View Full Version : OK, for what its worth

X-Era
12-31-2008, 08:34 AM
My brother is one of the most crtitical guys I have ever talked to and is constantly bashing the Bills... Hes a Browns fan.

But, surpisingly, when I was actually scared to even mention that the Bills kept Jauron... He agrees with Ralph.

He said to me, "half your problem has been that you keep hiring and firing coaches, you need to keep the same coach". "How will guys improve if they are focusing on switching a playbook around every year".

Look, I was on the fence. I was for firing Jauron if we were gonna upgrade him. I do not see a newbie as an upgrade, but afutrher set back. It didnt work here, and theres no reason it would now. I was a fan of upgrading him to a HC with a winning record. We were not going to do that. We were gonna go a retread and/or newbie route. At that point, I would rather keep Dick.

But, Ralph had better put his money where his not-going-to-be-complacent mouth is and bring in some real talent upgrades... not second tier crap... UPGRADES.

Yasgur's Farm
12-31-2008, 08:37 AM
Your brother has it backwards... Of course the reason the Bills suck is because we keep hiring and firing coaches and GM's... But the reason is because Ralph hires incompetent **** to begin with.

lukabrossi
12-31-2008, 08:38 AM
I agree with the most part, but at this point for the Bills........what have they got to lose by changing the coaching staff? This team has been pure shiza for the past 10 years and it doesn't look any better for the future with Jauron in place.
In my opinion, of course.

billsfanone
Valid point if the Bills were improving. They are 7-9 for three straight seasons. They are not getting any better. Actually they got WORSE the last half of this seasons. So what good is continuity if you're continually bad?

OpIv37
There's the old cliche "you can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****."

Unfortunately for the Bills, that oversimplifies the problem. Yes, the chef is getting low quality ingredients, but in the Bills case, the chef is also a mildly ******ed monkey. You can put the monkey in a gourmet kitchen with top shelf ingredients, but the only thing he'll be able to make is a mess.

Ickybaluky
12-31-2008, 11:06 AM
I'm sure, with your brother the Browns fan's assurance, everyone will be renewing their tickets.

Borosai
12-31-2008, 11:30 AM
If Jauron had showed something -- anything -- during the season that made me think "Hey, this man can lead this team somewhere. Give him some more pieces and he'll deliver," then I'd agree with you. But there was nothing... maybe someone else can think of something positive, but I can't.

Yeah, the Bills aren't the most talented team in the league, that much is obvious. The lines need work, the defense needs work. But where was the leadership? The gameplan? Game management? When were players ever held accountable for sucking?

JJamezz
12-31-2008, 11:36 AM
5th stage of grief in 24 hours.. impressive!

DrGraves
12-31-2008, 11:36 AM
i don't care about keeping the same playbook. if you're going to make dumbass calls like having jp pass with a minute left in the game...

acehole
12-31-2008, 11:44 AM
Look if we can get a defacto "Coach" as Offensive coordinater....and the same on the otherside...Juron can be a non factor.....but we will have a new playbook reguardless......We had the fairchild/turk book...we need to get a real westcoast offense in here we have many players to fill that system....it is a ball control and it has lots of counter plays and tosses to the backs....slants...fades...We cant get more agressive on deffense until we are ahead in the score...thats when the cover 2 shines.......problem is we are never ahead because we cant score points...so lets make lemons out of lemonade (Again) and go with it...see where it goes...I would be fine with some interior new linemen and a vet back up qb who can start from day one and hopfully have a realationship with the o coordinater...know the playbook and can step on the field from day one if Trent goes down....

Yes I said it Trent should start...but we need a guy right behind him because he will go down or and if he faulters like he did this year he should be yanked for the new guy plain and simple...we are not here to "Develope Trent" we are here to win ball games. I am on board with this until it fails.

My brother is one of the most crtitical guys I have ever talked to and is constantly bashing the Bills... Hes a Browns fan.

But, surpisingly, when I was actually scared to even mention that the Bills kept Jauron... He agrees with Ralph.

He said to me, "half your problem has been that you keep hiring and firing coaches, you need to keep the same coach". "How will guys improve if they are focusing on switching a playbook around every year".

Look, I was on the fence. I was for firing Jauron if we were gonna upgrade him. I do not see a newbie as an upgrade, but afutrher set back. It didnt work here, and theres no reason it would now. I was a fan of upgrading him to a HC with a winning record. We were not going to do that. We were gonna go a retread and/or newbie route. At that point, I would rather keep Dick.

But, Ralph had better put his money where his not-going-to-be-complacent mouth is and bring in some real talent upgrades... not second tier crap... UPGRADES.

billsburgh
12-31-2008, 11:44 AM
Your brother has it backwards... Of course the reason the Bills suck is because we keep hiring and firing coaches and GM's... But the reason is because Ralph hires incompetent **** to begin with.
exactly. it all starts at the top.

Jan Reimers
12-31-2008, 11:52 AM
Ralph has apparently confused continuity with competence.

TacklingDummy
12-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Unless the Bills start drafting some superstar players it doesn't really matter who coaches them. This team lacks the talent to be a consistent winner.

acehole
12-31-2008, 12:28 PM
Unless the Bills start drafting some superstar players it doesn't really matter who coaches them. This team lacks the talent to be a consistent winner.

Both are important....but guys like shanahan make 7th round runningbacks stars and bilicheck 6 round qbs are better then our 1rst and 3 round qb's...yes we like self motivated players but the trick is getting a millionare to be as hungry as a poorman fighting for a job....dick doent have that...he is liked which is good.....but Tuna was not and he got results....you sell your players on what you are doing and they will play hard for you...

Our team could use another offseason of talent no doubt....

But a differect coach on this same team could of gotten us 6-7 more wins in these last two years alone.

If you cant outsmart your opponent...the guys you have mater a whole lot less...

billsburgh
12-31-2008, 01:10 PM
this is because the team lacks a qualified scouting department who can judge talent. until that changes, the talent will never be here.

RockStar36
12-31-2008, 01:10 PM
Agreeing with retaining Jauron just shows what kind of fan...wait...you already said he is a Browns fan. That pretty much sums it all up.

Historian
12-31-2008, 01:19 PM

I think its the opposite, TD.

We've had lots of HOFers here over the years, and still never even won it once.

d1220
12-31-2008, 01:21 PM
Tony Sparano seemed to do pretty well with Miami in one year.... Other teams have done well with competent coaching within one to two years. I take no solace in the fact that there is consistency in plays, coaching etc. If the schemes, plays and coaching are flawed, incompetent and uninsightful, then the team will ALWAYS be until the source of the incompetence is removed.

TacklingDummy
12-31-2008, 01:23 PM
I think its the opposite, TD.

We've had lots of HOFers here over the years, and still never even won it once.

Did Marv make Kelly, Thomas, Reed, Bruce, Talley, Lofton, Tasker, Paup, Bennett or did Kelly, Thomas, Reed, Bruce, Talley,Lofton, Tasker, Paup, Bennett make Marv?

Damn that Norwood.

Historian
12-31-2008, 01:28 PM
A little bit of both.

Unfortunately the bottom line is the same: 2nd place.

I'm fed up DJ, but I don't blame him for everything. He didn't put all his players in a scheme that they would succeed in, however, Ralph didn't put him in a position to succeed either.

Just like Marv.

ddaryl
12-31-2008, 01:30 PM

I'm all for keeping a coach... but Ralph has hired inadequate coaches for 10 straight years, and refuses to bring in a proven winner. Meanwhile all the other teams in our division have done or are doing exactly that... 0-6 baby.
Jauron's obvious coaching errors this year, and the 2 years before were way to many to toss aside and believe it will get better. 3 years and the consistent under-tones of our teams have been.. ill prepared, out coached, and have looked foolish on way too many gameday calls.

I hate the coaching carousel, but by keeping Jauaron were just going to end up trying to polish a turd.

acehole
12-31-2008, 02:23 PM
this is because the team lacks a qualified scouting department who can judge talent. until that changes, the talent will never be here.

We lost alot when we lost butler and AJ smith... and polian before him...we seem to be keeping the wrong guys and axing the great ones...