PDA

View Full Version : Pat Bowlen is a great owner and makes me jealous

Coach Sal
12-31-2008, 12:32 PM
Watching his press conference makes me mad, sad, but most of all JEALOUS!

Three quotes from his presser that stand out:

When asked what it is he wants:
"I want to win a Super Bowl. That's why I'm here."

When asked how far away from a Super Bowl his team is:
"Well, we didn't make the playoffs this year, so we're a long way away. But that can change in a hurry."

And the quote that really makes me jalous of what Broncos fans have in their owner.....
When asked about what letting go of Shanny and getting a new coach "is worth:"
"You can't be worried about what it's worth. This business is football. If you're worried about what it's worth you should be in a different business."

Coach Sal
12-31-2008, 12:33 PM
Shanny is crying right now and called Bowlen "the best owner in sports."

Says they'll always be great friends.

Philagape
12-31-2008, 12:34 PM
:sigh:

Mr. Pink
12-31-2008, 12:44 PM
Is he?

What have the Broncos done in the past decade besides a whole lot of nothing.

Bowlen got lucky and inherited a great coach in Dan Reeves who had Mike Shanahan as one of his assistants. Not too mention he inherited that John Elway guy too.

The 2 years between Reeves and Shanahan he hired Wade Phillips.

Fact of the matter is..anyone on this board, if they had his fathers' money to back them, could have done the same exact thing.

trapezeus
12-31-2008, 12:49 PM
Coach Sal, you had posted yesterday that one Bills exec was ready leave after the losman fumble game. do you think we'll see that guy leave now?

Coach Sal
12-31-2008, 12:59 PM
Coach Sal, you had posted yesterday that one Bills exec was ready leave after the losman fumble game. do you think we'll see that guy leave now?

No.

Coach Sal
12-31-2008, 01:06 PM
Is he?

What have the Broncos done in the past decade besides a whole lot of nothing.

Bowlen got lucky and inherited a great coach in Dan Reeves who had Mike Shanahan as one of his assistants. Not too mention he inherited that John Elway guy too.

The 2 years between Reeves and Shanahan he hired Wade Phillips.

Fact of the matter is..anyone on this board, if they had his fathers' money to back them, could have done the same exact thing.

You're kidding me, right?

First, they've been in the playoffs 4 times in the last decade. More than most teams in the league.

Second, doing everything you can to try and win......and actually winning.....are two different things.

Bowlen does what he needs to do to try and win. Listen to Shanny's presser. He talked a lot about how Bowlen ran such a professional organization, took care of his people, and did whatever it took to try and win.

THAT's what good owners do.

By your logic, Bill Parcells gas done a whole lot of nothing, too. Correct?

TacklingDummy
12-31-2008, 01:08 PM
John Elway made a couple coaches look great.

Historian
12-31-2008, 01:09 PM
I'd kill for Bowlen...

Coach Sal
12-31-2008, 01:13 PM
John Elway made a couple coaches look great.

Yeah, but the Broncos/Shanny went 13-3 in 2005 and hosted the AFC championship game.

Jake Plummer was his QB.

RockStar36
12-31-2008, 01:16 PM
I think any coach who coaches as long as Shanny did and was consistently competitive is a very good coach. Everyone makes all these excuses for other coaches like injuries, what about Shanny? I think he had like 10 running backs go on IR this season. Last time I checked, they had to pull Tatum Bell out of the local mall selling cell phones just to have someone in the backfield.

Dujek
12-31-2008, 01:17 PM
I'd kill for Bowlen...

I'd kill for Shanny. Or at least I'd pay Lawesome to kill somebody for Shanny...

Historian
12-31-2008, 01:17 PM
Both of them, Duj!

TacklingDummy
12-31-2008, 01:20 PM
Yeah, but the Broncos/Shanny went 13-3 in 2005 and hosted the AFC championship game.

Jake Plummer was his QB.

Yeah, but in Chicago Dick Juaron went 13-3 in 2001.

Jim Miller was his QB.

superbills
12-31-2008, 01:22 PM
I don't know how any Bills fan would not be seething with jealousy over what the Broncos have in their owner and what they had in Shanny. We can't even get one side of the puzzle right. When both your owner AND your coach suck you're in a world of hurt.

RockStar36
12-31-2008, 01:23 PM

Jim Miller was his QB.

Shanny has a career record over .500

TacklingDummy
12-31-2008, 01:28 PM
Shanny has a career record over .500

Most coaches would in his shoes.

Put Shanny in Buffalo the last 10 years and I bet he wouldn't.

RockStar36
12-31-2008, 01:29 PM
He is one of the best coaches in the league. Anybody who argues against that and for Jauron needs to put the crack pipe down for a little bit.

Coach Sal
12-31-2008, 01:31 PM

Jim Miller was his QB.

Uh, Jauron did that one year, one time.

Shanny's career record AFTER Elway: 91-69
# of losing seasons AFTER Elway: 2 out of 10 (and those were 7-9 and 6-10)
# of "predominant" starting QBs he's done this with: 3 (Griese, Plummer, Cutler).

Do you really want to debate that Mike Shanahan isn't a terrific footbal coach, and one of the NFL's best over the last decade?!

TacklingDummy
12-31-2008, 01:31 PM
He is one of the best coaches in the league. Anybody who argues against that and for Jauron needs to put the crack pipe down for a little bit.

Im not arguing about Juaron/Shanny, my arguement is with the talent they had to work with.

TacklingDummy
12-31-2008, 01:32 PM
Do you really want to debate that Mike Shanahan isn't a terrific footbal coach, and one of the NFL's best over the last decade?!

He's been lucky to have talented players on the field to work with. Who's Denver's GM?

RockStar36
12-31-2008, 01:33 PM
He's been lucky to have talented players on the field to work with. Who's Denver's GM?

:rofl:

Mr. Pink
12-31-2008, 01:34 PM
You're kidding me, right?

First, they've been in the playoffs 4 times in the last decade. More than most teams in the league.

Second, doing everything you can to try and win......and actually winning.....are two different things.

Bowlen does what he needs to do to try and win. Listen to Shanny's presser. He talked a lot about how Bowlen ran such a professional organization, took care of his people, and did whatever it tok to try and win.

THAT's what good owners do.

No, I'm not kidding.

Everything you can to win? He had all the right people in place from day 1. He didn't go out and make any hires to better the team. The people that were there when he got there were plenty good enough.

Bowlen purchased the team in 1984. Elway was there, Reeves was there, Shanahan was there. Reeves brought Wade Phillips in, in 1987 who became his successor.

Fact is, Bowlen hasn't hired a guy who wasn't gone outside the legacy of Dan Reeves, who Bowlen inherited, for a HC hiring in his 26 years of owning the team.

If you want to give credit to anyone in that organization, it's Dan Reeves.

Reeves was hired in 1981 as HC and VP. Reeves is the one who made the decisions for hires all over that organization, the last GM they had? A guy brought in by Reeves. Their current GM has only been there 2 years.

Pat Bowlen walked into a VERY nice situation that was put in place by the previous owners Gerard Phipps 61-81, Edgar Kaiser Jr 81-84. Phipps being the only Broncos non-player on their Ring of Fame.

The only credit I can possibly give to Pat Bowlen is for not meddling and staying on the sidelines. Which like I said, any of us could have done.

Coach Sal
12-31-2008, 01:35 PM
Put Shanny in Buffalo the last 10 years and I bet he wouldn't.

Exactly. Because in Denver, he was given the ability to choose the personnel and coach the players how he saw fit. Because Bowlen is a great owner who knew Shanahan was the right guy to do that.

In Buffalo, Ralph Wilson would never let anyone do that.

A footbal guy like Shanahan would be handcuffed by Wilson's "rule by committee" and not allow him access to the tools to be successful.

Great owner.
Great coach.

TacklingDummy

Funny but true. Put him in Buffalo, Cincy, Detroit, San Fran, Cleveland, the past 10 years and see how many times he would have been fired.

Coach Sal

RockStar36
12-31-2008, 01:37 PM
Funny but true. Put him in Buffalo, Cincy, Detroit, San Fran, Cleveland, the past 10 years and see how many times he would have been fired.

You didn't get it, did you?

Coach Sal
12-31-2008, 01:38 PM

What's true and funny is the fact that you don't know that Shanahan has chosen most of the personnel over the years.

TacklingDummy
12-31-2008, 01:39 PM
You didn't get it, did you?

Nope.

Mr. Pink
12-31-2008, 01:40 PM
What's true and funny is the fact that you don't know that Shanahan has chosen most of the personnel over the years.

That organization, to this day, has Dan Reeves fingerprints all over it.

Dr. Lecter
12-31-2008, 01:40 PM
So TD, have you figured out who Denver's GM was yet?

TacklingDummy
12-31-2008, 01:41 PM

Has he won a Super Bowl without Elway? To my knowledge Shanahan didn't choose him.

He's been living off Elway long enough. Denver needed a coaching change and they made one.

RockStar36
12-31-2008, 01:42 PM
That organization, to this day, has Dan Reeves fingerprints all over it.

Yeah, except without Reeves they actually WON the Super Bowl.

TacklingDummy
12-31-2008, 01:44 PM

According to my search its Jeff Goodman and Brian Xanders.
Also Ted Sundquist is out as GM.

Are you guys trying to say Shanahan was? :rofl:

Historian
12-31-2008, 01:44 PM
Again, interesting franchise to look at.

Very similar to Buff in that FB is a religion out there....AFL original...83 QB...I could go on.

The difference is that they have an owner interested in winning, and we don't.

Its that simple.

RockStar36
12-31-2008, 01:48 PM
Bowlen says he anticipated the new coach would not have full say over personnel moves, the way Shanahan did. That means the Broncos might hire a general manager, but Bowlen says his priority was hiring a new coach first.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3802509

Mr. Pink
12-31-2008, 01:48 PM
Yeah, except without Reeves they actually WON the Super Bowl.

That is true.

But if it's not for Reeves, Shanahan is never their HC. Nor is Wade Phillips.

I'm kinda curious as to if Bowlen is gonna go get Mike Nolan.

It would certainly fit his history there.

Mr. Pink
12-31-2008, 01:51 PM
Again, interesting franchise to look at.

Very similar to Buff in that FB is a religion out there....AFL original...83 QB...I could go on.

The difference is that they have an owner interested in winning, and we don't.

Its that simple.

Nah.

They have an owner who's been smart enough not to screw up a good thing.

He keeps riding off the coat tails of Dan Reeves legacy.

Ralph could have done that not once, but twice. Knox and then Levy/Polian.

TacklingDummy
12-31-2008, 01:52 PM
DENVER - Ted Sundquist is no longer the Denver Broncos' general manager.

Sundquist became general manager in 2002 after 10 years in a player personnel role for the team.

The 45-year-old Sundquist supervised pro and college scouting, and was responsible for salary cap and contract analysis.

Sundquist also facilitated a draft-day deal with St. Louis in 2006, allowing Denver to trade up four spots to take Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler with the 11th overall pick.

DraftBoy
12-31-2008, 02:31 PM
DENVER - Ted Sundquist is no longer the Denver Broncos' general manager.

Sundquist became general manager in 2002 after 10 years in a player personnel role for the team.

The 45-year-old Sundquist supervised pro and college scouting, and was responsible for salary cap and contract analysis.

Sundquist also facilitated a draft-day deal with St. Louis in 2006, allowing Denver to trade up four spots to take Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler with the 11th overall pick.

It is my understanding that Shannahan had final say on all personnel moves with his time as Broncos HC and VP of Player Personnel. He wasn't the GM in title but he had to sign off on every guy signed, every pick made, and trade that went down.

patmoran2006
12-31-2008, 02:46 PM
Im not arguing about Juaron/Shanny, my arguement is with the talent they had to work with.
IF Shanny is the coach and has involvement in draft process, do you think instead of guys like Whitner, McCargo and Hardy we end up with Cutler, Mangold and Eddie Royal instead?

Then maybe "talent" isnt the issue?

acehole
12-31-2008, 03:07 PM

Jim Miller was his QB.

Very weak schedule,,,, in a very weak division.....with a dominating Deffense and everyone around miller above average....

The could score 3-10 pionts and sit on it with there run game....because you were not scoring against them....

That is what we were trying to do here....

Bill Brasky
12-31-2008, 03:26 PM

http://users.ameritech.net/z31t/kelso_burn.gif

hydro
12-31-2008, 03:43 PM
I believe I read that Shanahan was HC and VP. And the main reason they got rid of him is they wanted to make some personel changes and that wasn't going to work well with Shanahan in there.

He didn't hold the GM position. But the guy who did, I am not sure what he exactly did :rofl:

TacklingDummy
12-31-2008, 04:03 PM
http://users.ameritech.net/z31t/kelso_burn.gif

Shanahan wasn't the GM. How was I burned?

TacklingDummy
12-31-2008, 04:04 PM

It wasn't Shanahan if that's what you are trying to imply.

TacklingDummy
12-31-2008, 04:05 PM
He wasn't the GM in title but he had to sign off on every guy signed, every pick made, and trade that went down.

Thank You.

Mad Bomber
12-31-2008, 05:58 PM
I'd kill for Bowlen...
I'd Kill Jauron, Modrak, Brandon, and Wilson for Bowlen.
I forgot to mention Schonert and Fewell.....

Typ0
12-31-2008, 11:01 PM
I think Bills fans, disgusted by Jaroun comming back, have somehow construed that this firing makes our situation worse. I think it happened because they were looking for some change in Denver because they were worried about things getting stale when they have a chance to rise to the top. Plus, I would bet they have people in place to fill the positions before these moves were made.

I remember thinking when we were playing them how increadible Cutler is and it makes me sick we passed on him. He was full of mistakes this year but he's got the best arm I've ever seen and he plays smart. If he can grow and get rid of the mistakes he alone makes that team dangerous and bound for great things. I think they want to shake up the organization while Cutler matures and bring in some fresh and exciting ideas.

Dr. Lecter
12-31-2008, 11:12 PM
Cutler plays smart?

That is his downfall. He gets stupid at bad times.

Typ0
01-01-2009, 01:20 AM
Cutler plays smart?

That is his downfall. He gets stupid at bad times.

true. But if that's youth they are seriously in business because other times he plays very smart and makes a lot of plays. Things like forcing the ball into the wrong places are going to get fixed with time and his playing against the many different defenses. I understand and maybe he'll never mature that way...but he's got great tools and has demonstrated he can be successful just not consistently.

Historian
01-01-2009, 06:17 AM
Elway was the same way as a rookie.