PDA

View Full Version : Top 7 Offseason Needs

patmoran2006
12-31-2008, 02:55 PM
1- Pass Rushing DE (sorry Kelsay, 4.5 sacks in TWO years doesnt cut it)

2- OLB who can make plays (sorry Keith "Pancaked" Ellison)

3- C who doesnt snap the ball up his own ass (sorry Preston)

4- A competent backup QB (lol, JP)

5- TE who catches the ball more than 6 games per year (sorry Robbie Royal)

6- A certain owner to "go away"

7 A supposed Brian Dawkins-like safety to start playing like.. Brian Dawkins (yes, you Donte)

OpIv37
12-31-2008, 02:56 PM
you forgot G- both Dock and Butler suck.

patmoran2006
12-31-2008, 02:58 PM
They both make too much money to get rid of, unfortunately. They could probably live with them.. You have a valid point, Ijust think the other 7 are bigger "needs"

THATHURMANATOR
12-31-2008, 03:00 PM
Op is right but I wonder if a competant center may make the Unit better overall.

BuffaloBillsStampede
12-31-2008, 03:02 PM
Does anybody want Crowell back? I am thinking it would be good to bring him back to eliminate having to draft LB. We could then focus on DE, TE, C in the first three rounds then another DE later on is what I am thinking.

SpillerThrills
12-31-2008, 03:13 PM
Op is right but I wonder if a competant center may make the Unit better overall.

I was thinking the same thing Thurm.

Ingtar33
12-31-2008, 03:21 PM

7 A supposed Brian Dawkins-like safety to start playing like.. Brian Dawkins (yes, you Donte)

1) Pass Rushing End
2) Center
3) a Play making, Pass Rushing LB
4) WR (sky's the limit for how good he is. i'd like one with size)
5) TE
6) Crowell back and healthy
7) NFL Quality play making Safety

I'd like a New Defensive & Offensive Coordinator & Line coach; but I basically agree with you... I'd love to see a whole coaching staff replacement, but we know it won't happen.

Mitchell55
12-31-2008, 03:55 PM
1. GM
2. DC
3. OC
4. DE
5. C
6. TE
7. OLB

PECKERWOOD
12-31-2008, 03:57 PM
1.) Veteran pass rusher at DE ( We all agree on this one. )
2.) Veteran WR ( There are plenty to choose from this FA, shouldn't be a problem. )
3.) Center
4.) Balanced TE who can catch the ball and run nice routes.
5.) Draft a LB with one of our top picks.
6.) Draft another DE with one of our top picks.
7.) Draft a safety with one of our top picks.

That's what I came up with without looking at too many of your lists, yet! :up:

PECKERWOOD
12-31-2008, 03:58 PM
1) Pass Rushing End
2) Center
3) a Play making, Pass Rushing LB
4) WR (sky's the limit for how good he is. i'd like one with size)
5) TE
6) Crowell back and healthy
7) NFL Quality play making Safety

I'd like a New Defensive & Offensive Coordinator & Line coach; but I basically agree with you... I'd love to see a whole coaching staff replacement, but we know it won't happen.

I wouldn't mind option #6.

HHURRICANE
12-31-2008, 04:08 PM
Does anybody want Crowell back? I am thinking it would be good to bring him back to eliminate having to draft LB. We could then focus on DE, TE, C in the first three rounds then another DE later on is what I am thinking.

We should be able to get a good DE in the third round.:worry:

HHURRICANE
12-31-2008, 04:11 PM

Number 7 is a luxury. If we get some sort of pass rush our whole secondary will look better.

A real #2 WR would also make our meidocre #1 WR play better.

Mitchell55
12-31-2008, 04:12 PM
1.) Veteran pass rusher at DE ( We all agree on this one. )
2.) Veteran WR ( There are plenty to choose from this FA, shouldn't be a problem. )
3.) Center
4.) Balanced TE who can catch the ball and run nice routes.
5.) Draft a LB with one of our top picks.
6.) Draft another DE with one of our top picks.
7.) Draft a safety with one of our top picks.

That's what I came up with without looking at too many of your lists, yet! :up:

I would want a rookie DE and a FA LB instead of a drafted one.

PECKERWOOD
12-31-2008, 04:15 PM
I would want a rookie DE and a FA LB instead of a drafted one.

Rookie DE's don't usually perform until atleast in their 2nd year, WR's are usually the same way. Julius Peppers or Terrell Suggs.. THAT'S how Ralph needs to prove that he is serious about talent. Btw, with Hardy out we definately need to add a veteran WR who can step in immediately.

The Jokeman
12-31-2008, 05:12 PM
1. A true #1 option in the passing game. I know everyone likes to focus on defense but our defense really didn't play that bad this season and think if the offense could improve to be average this team could be a playoff team. It could be TJ Houshmandzadeh, Chad Johnson or Tony Gonzalez are all guys I'd lust after. Of course we probably won't get anyone of them so then I look for guys who might be #2 options that could fit in well here but be a significant upgrade. One name that interests me is Donald Driver, who isn't a free agent but could be on his way out of Green Bay because of his contract and age and they have some promising young talent at the position.

2. A starting C, why hasn't it been brought up that the offense seemed to take a nose dive at the same time Duke Preston took over the starting duties? Yes Melvin Fowler isn't an answer either but we seemed better with Melvin in there then Duke. Jason Brown be the guy in free agency I'd target.

3. A healthy Aaron Schobel and another pass rusher. I like DE Johnson in the draft but think he might be off the board with pick #11. So might pursue a veteran like Bertard Berry in free agency.

4. CB. I prefer keeping McKelvin as a kick returner and someone starting opposite McGee. Greer again be nice but fear the Bills might think it's time to part ways with him as we seemingly have strong depth at the position.

5. An OLB to start over Keith Ellison, Crowell would be ideal but not sure if he'd be brought back but a rookie like Curry could fit that mold too but fear the Bills might just sign a veteran free agent to compete with Ellison and a hopefully healthy Alvin Bowen in 2009.

6. A veteran backup QB versed in the WCO. Jeff Garcia be ideal but think he'd bring a lot of talk of who should start so prefer a guy like Jon Kitna.

Mitchell55
12-31-2008, 05:39 PM
1. A true #1 option in the passing game. I know everyone likes to focus on defense but our defense really didn't play that bad this season and think if the offense could improve to be average this team could be a playoff team. It could be TJ Houshmandzadeh, Chad Johnson or Tony Gonzalez are all guys I'd lust after. Of course we probably won't get anyone of them so then I look for guys who might be #2 options that could fit in well here but be a significant upgrade. One name that interests me is Donald Driver, who isn't a free agent but could be on his way out of Green Bay because of his contract and age and they have some promising young talent at the position. We need a number 2, Lee is a great player when not double and tripple teamed and when he has freedom.

2. A starting C, why hasn't it been brought up that the offense seemed to take a nose dive at the same time Duke Preston took over the starting duties? Yes Melvin Fowler isn't an answer either but we seemed better with Melvin in there then Duke. Jason Brown be the guy in free agency I'd target.
I hate the statements, people say the same that when Schobel, Barnes, or something else that makes no sense left, our team fell apart. There is no way that 1,2, even 3 players can make a 5-1 team down to a 7-9 team.

3. A healthy Aaron Schobel and another pass rusher. I like DE Johnson in the draft but think he might be off the board with pick #11. So might pursue a veteran like Bertard Berry in free agency. I like

4. CB. I prefer keeping McKelvin as a kick returner and someone starting opposite McGee. Greer again be nice but fear the Bills might think it's time to part ways with him as we seemingly have strong depth at the position.
Either a William James type FA or get a CB in round 5-6. Not a top 5 need.

5. An OLB to start over Keith Ellison, Crowell would be ideal but not sure if he'd be brought back but a rookie like Curry could fit that mold too but fear the Bills might just sign a veteran free agent to compete with Ellison and a hopefully healthy Alvin Bowen in 2009. Get Barton or Resign Crowell.

6. A veteran backup QB versed in the WCO. Jeff Garcia be ideal but think he'd bring a lot of talk of who should start so prefer a guy like Jon Kitna. Kitnas good, maybe Leftwhich if he leaves.

Night Train
12-31-2008, 06:06 PM
Agree with all Pat but the Bills must also dump the horrid Cover 2 and switch to a standard 4-3 to tighten up the front 7.

Let the CB's play man and let's forget we ever ran this terrible D scheme that out players couldn't execute at all. These guys cannot tackle in open space and need to swarm in numbers.

The Jokeman
01-01-2009, 09:21 AM
I hate the statements, people say the same that when Schobel, Barnes, or something else that makes no sense left, our team fell apart. There is no way that 1,2, even 3 players can make a 5-1 team down to a 7-9 team.

This was a statement to indicate that Duke Preston was not an answer for our woes at Center and if re-signed shouldn't be starting. Not so much an endorsement of Fowler.

djjimkelly
01-01-2009, 11:00 AM
before reading any of this thread we have only 7 needs? lol

Bling
01-01-2009, 11:02 AM
I remember when Ellison and Crowell were the end all be all. What happened?

djjimkelly
01-01-2009, 11:03 AM
ok now i will add to the 7.

a big target as a WR. ( i know we drafted hardy either he plays a real role or we get someone who will)

NEW OC and DC (i know its a dream its my dream)

im white so lol we need some black DE's im sorry call him a pass rusher call him a run stuffer, i dont care we need a brother to be playing DE

Bling
01-01-2009, 11:05 AM
ok now i will add to the 7.

a big target as a WR. ( i know we drafted hardy either he plays a real role or we get someone who will)

NEW OC and DC (i know its a dream its my dream)

im white so lol we need some black DE's im sorry call him a pass rusher call him a run stuffer, i dont care we need a brother to be playing DE

Why does he have to be black? Trace Armstrong was pretty good for the Dolphins one year.

djjimkelly
01-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Why does he have to be black? Trace Armstrong was pretty good for the Dolphins one year.

ive seen what the white ones can do for the last 7-8 years and ive had enough for now.

do i want another phil hansen sure. chances are the brother will be easier to find

TigerJ
01-01-2009, 04:09 PM
The Bills could use another safety too. Ko Simpson obviously is not panning out. Bryan Scott hasn't been terrible, but I don't see him as a huge playmaker.

jimbohastle51
01-01-2009, 05:33 PM
crowell will have suitors but him and mitchell are great friends and he is going to want to stay in his "comfort zone" in buffalo for at least a year or 2 and prove he is healthy and i am sure we will get him at a decent price (remember ray lewis, bart scott, terell suggs, and karlos dansby are free agent LBs to name just a few) the market for top tier LB's is loaded so he might be better off staying with us anyways, but we have to get a DE in the 1st or 2nd round because there is a significant difference this year between the top DE prospects and the lower ones. in free agency i really think matt birk is the top guy they want to bring in (chris brown referenced to this a while back on his blog as well). he would only take a 2-3 year deal because of his age so we could still draft a center in the 3-5 somewhere in there to groom under him for a couple years, he is an ivy leaguer (jauron is too so you know he loves that) and he is a top center (weather his best years are behind him or not he is still better than anyone we have had since kent hull and still one of the best in this league) and i bet 4 million a year for 2-3 years brings him in and that is a steal for a top center.

Historian
01-01-2009, 05:44 PM
1. Owner

BillsWin
01-01-2009, 05:44 PM

Butlers fine. he just needs a competent Center.

Dockery sucks. much agreed.