PDA

View Full Version : thoughts for 1st two draft picks

Lefty2985
12-31-2008, 04:46 PM
I am not going to act like i know a lot about college players i dont watch much of it so i am curious on some of your thoughts:

1st round pick- everett brown. de. fsu
2nd round pick-best available center

does that sound good to anyone or is there someone else you would like to have with the 11th pick?

The Jokeman
12-31-2008, 04:56 PM
Personally if the Bills are truly playing for 2009 to be a playoff year then we'd be better suited trading our 1st Round pick for a veteran. I'd love to see Tony Gonzalez and would have little issues trading our top pick for him and hopefullly get a later pick (say Round 5) in return. As look back to 2008 and what rookies made big impacts? Most of them were RBs, I know some will chime in on QBs like Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco making the playoffs but to me tey made more in part because of the talent around them.

Luisito23
12-31-2008, 04:59 PM
Giving away a first pick for TG is insane, especially the 11th. pick....

PECKERWOOD
12-31-2008, 05:16 PM
I don't think that it's necessarily a BAD idea.. I do like the idea of a veteran DE/WR in FA and drafting a LB with our top pick. Maualuga and Curry, I like them both.

The Jokeman
12-31-2008, 05:18 PM
Giving away a first pick for TG is insane, especially the 11th. pick....
Tell me would the Bills been better suited with McKelvin this past season or TG?

PECKERWOOD
12-31-2008, 05:21 PM
Tell me would the Bills been better suited with McKelvin this past season or TG?

McKelvin.. I'd say that McKelvin has been very good for us so far, plus he is young and on the rise. Gonzalez would be productive but we wouldn't have made the playoffs with him by no means, imo.. Plus, he is on the way to retirement soon.

The Jokeman
12-31-2008, 05:28 PM
McKelvin.. I'd say that McKelvin has been very good for us so far, plus he is young and on the rise. Gonzalez would be productive but we wouldn't have made the playoffs with him by no means, imo.. Plus, he is on the way to retirement soon.
96 catches for 1058 yards and 10 TDs wouldn't have turned this team into a playoff team? I digress as stuff like that turns the Browns and 49ers and even the season finale against the Patriot losses into wins. I agree McKelvin's upside is greater but to say he outplayed Gonzalez this season is insane.

Mitchell55
12-31-2008, 05:28 PM
Id say draft Michael Johnson with the 11th and get a safty with our 2nd. This is with us getting a LB already in FA.

Night Train
12-31-2008, 06:08 PM
I am not going to act like i know a lot about college players i dont watch much of it so i am curious on some of your thoughts:

does that sound good to anyone or is there someone else you would like to have with the 11th pick?

What's wrong with that ? I think you're dead on.

TigerJ
12-31-2008, 10:35 PM
If Dick Jauron had full control of personnel decisions, I suppose he might be tempted to trade away the future potential of a first round pick for Tony Gozalez who is still a great tight end, but in the twilight of his career. Jauron is not in charge of all personnel decisions, and even if he were, I would not as the owner of the Bills be very happy with that decision. I might be mad enough to can his butt immediately. The problem is Gonzalez has maybe a couple years at the top of his game. Then he's going to start losing speed and become a much more ordinary player. If you look at the value of a first round pick versus a veteran as old as Gonzalez, there's no comparison. As a sure thing Gonzalez gives you maybe a year or two. A first round rookie could be a bust, but he also might give you a ten year career as a multi-year probowler. Remember too that Gonzalez didn't want to come to Buffalo. I don't think it is very bright to invite that kind of potential trouble into your locker room.

TigerJ
12-31-2008, 10:42 PM
My big concern with Everette Brown is that he gives us another undersized DE. I'd rather get Michael Johnson and stick him in the weight room to add 10-15 lbs of muscle. I think Johnson has all the upside in the world, but at 6'7" ihe makes me a little nervous being under 260. My fear is that he could be prone to injury in the pro game

jamze132
01-01-2009, 12:23 AM
I'm not a huge fan of trading down when we are where we are.

tat2dmike77
01-01-2009, 12:29 AM
tyson jackson is my choice for the 11th pick

Yasgur's Farm
01-01-2009, 08:59 AM
1st- DE Brian Orakpo
2nd- OLB Clint Sintim or, if we re-sign Crowell C Max Unger
3rd- DE Tyson Jackson (He's falling and we still will have underclassmen declaring)
4th- C Eric Wood or (see 2nd) G Andy Levitre

wozrob11
01-01-2009, 11:10 AM
1st- Michael johnson /de
2nd-brian cushing/olb
3rd-jonathon luigs/c

yordad
01-01-2009, 11:18 AM
1st- Michael johnson /de
2nd-brian cushing/olb
3rd-jonathon luigs/cOk, this works for me. But, I really hope we address some of these issues prior to the draft.

ParanoidAndroid
01-01-2009, 12:26 PM
My big concern with Everette Brown is that he gives us another undersized DE. I'd rather get Michael Johnson and stick him in the weight room to add 10-15 lbs of muscle. I think Johnson has all the upside in the world, but at 6'7" ihe makes me a little nervous being under 260. My fear is that he could be prone to injury in the pro game

The next Jason Taylor?

Mr. Pink
01-01-2009, 12:51 PM

2 very good picks there.

Both would help immensely.

PECKERWOOD
01-01-2009, 01:00 PM
96 catches for 1058 yards and 10 TDs wouldn't have turned this team into a playoff team? I digress as stuff like that turns the Browns and 49ers and even the season finale against the Patriot losses into wins. I agree McKelvin's upside is greater but to say he outplayed Gonzalez this season is insane.

When did I say that McKelvin outplayed Gonzalez? I said that McKelvin has made quite a few plays this year himself and his potential is greater than Gonzalez's. Look it, Kurt Warner is doing pretty good in Arizona right now.. How would you have liked it if we traded a 1st for him last offseason? You would be calling that trade insane.

T-Long
01-01-2009, 01:29 PM
1st: DE Michael Johnson
2nd: Best available center if we don't get Saturday/Birk in Free Agency

*If Taylor Mays is available at 11....I can't see how we pass him up...but I highly doubt he will be...

The Jokeman
01-01-2009, 01:43 PM
When did I say that McKelvin outplayed Gonzalez? I said that McKelvin has made quite a few plays this year himself and his potential is greater than Gonzalez's. Look it, Kurt Warner is doing pretty good in Arizona right now.. How would you have liked it if we traded a 1st for him last offseason? You would be calling that trade insane.
Did we need a starting QB? I don't think so, so yes that's why I would have deemed the trade insane. Yet had we used that 1st on Tony Gonzalez I feel we'd be a playoff team. The truth is I see the Bills having a very small window and don't feel a rookie will make enough impact to make the difference between making the playoffs and not and why be in favor of trading the pick for a veteran that would.

TigerJ
01-01-2009, 02:40 PM
The next Jason Taylor?Actually, I think Jason Taylor is more like Michael Johnson. I am more assured about Michael Johnson's potential than Everette Brown's when I look at Jason Taylor.

ParanoidAndroid
01-01-2009, 04:13 PM
That's what I suggested.

Marvelous
01-01-2009, 06:17 PM
I'm all for BPA,,but Best AVailable Center sounds really REALLY risky! Wasn't Duke Preston Best AVail Center? Irrelevant,,that was then, this is now..
--RT is also very suspect..RG is solid with Brad Butler & Tackle Depth is solid with young Kirk Chambers. & LG is do-able with Dockery. Not what we expected but soild non the less,,,or ALTEAST not a priority.
--Center is maybe best served via Free Agency. Where money talks.. There's usually 1 high profile center and about 2-3 middle class types..ALL UPGRADES over preston & Fowler..
---BPA in round 2 not best Center available.....

jpdex12
01-01-2009, 07:45 PM
1-Orakpo
2-Chase Koffman TE Mizzo
3-Jonathon Luigs

We resign Crowell, get Bowen and the white middle linebacker back healthy and we sign Matt Birk while Luigs learns from him.

PECKERWOOD
01-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Did we need a starting QB? I don't think so, so yes that's why I would have deemed the trade insane. Yet had we used that 1st on Tony Gonzalez I feel we'd be a playoff team. The truth is I see the Bills having a very small window and don't feel a rookie will make enough impact to make the difference between making the playoffs and not and why be in favor of trading the pick for a veteran that would.

I used Warner as an example, you don't give away first round picks away for an older player who isn't going to stick around for the next 4-5 years. I call your trade insane because Tony Gonzalez could have been had for a 2nd round pick, so why pay more for him?

The Jokeman
01-01-2009, 08:50 PM
I used Warner as an example, you don't give away first round picks away for an older player who isn't going to stick around for the next 4-5 years. I call your trade insane because Tony Gonzalez could have been had for a 2nd round pick, so why pay more for him?
Well I've obviously deal a 2nd over a 1st for Tony Gonzalez if meant could get him. The reason I trade for an older player is because we haven't had much luck in drafting in recent years and typical a veteran will have a quicker impact then a rookie is all I'm stating.