PDA

View Full Version : Remember last year, when WR was our biggest off season need?

yordad
01-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Remember last year, when WR was our biggest off season need? Did we address that?

Dujek
01-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Josh Reed made a lot of big plays when he was healthy, Steve Johnson looks to be a keeper, and while Hardy is very raw he's still potentially a big time player.

It wasn't fully addressed, but it is a much lower priority than some other positions right now.

The Jokeman
01-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Remember last year, when WR was our biggest off season need? Did we address that?
We addressed it bu drafting Hardy and Johnson. While it was a poor decision you can't deny we attempted to address it. Of course we also "worked hard" to sign Bryant Johnson too. So while I have issues with the front office I can't say they are completely horrible.

billogic99
01-01-2009, 01:00 PM

No!

Night Train
01-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Evans #1, Steve Johnson #2, Reed #3...Hardy & Parrish in situations.

Even though Ralph obviously worships the Lions, I don't wish to draft like them. WR is not a priority this year, with glaring needs at DE,C,OLB,TE & a backup QB.

Mr. Pink
01-01-2009, 01:21 PM
No, it wasn't our biggest need...

It was a top need and unfortunately, it still is.

We need either a solid number 2 to compliment Evans or a solid 1 for Evans to compliment.

I think talent wise and performance wise Evans would be better suited as the compliment BUT with how much this organization wasted in keeping him that's obviously not how it's going to happen.

Imagine how good our WR corps would look if we had a TRUE number 1, Evans at 2, Reed in the slot and Johnson at the 4.

Scoe can get lost for all I care at this point. I was saying last year to cut or trade him honestly...With the emergence of McKelvin as a returner, Scoe is no longer needed on this team. Especially with how very little he contributes to the offense.

Cntrygal
01-01-2009, 01:37 PM
I wonder how Evans REALLY feels about his new contract......

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Overall I am satisfied with our WR core, just the simple fact that Evans proved he can be a legitimate #1 receiver and of course the contract extension makes this a much more solid position than last off-season.

I'm still not confident about our #2 guy though. Josh Reed can do a decent job and Hardy has still the potential to improve but still I consider these two guys good depth/third string players and not really starters. Also, we have Roscoe who is a pretty good #3 receiver.

Steve Johnson? Not sure at all, we need to see more of him.

So we have the #1 guy and a bunch of #3 guys who can do a decent job as a #2 sometimes, maybe if we were just able to get that legitimate #2 threat we would rock at the position.

OpIv37
01-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Josh Reed made a lot of big plays when he was healthy, Steve Johnson looks to be a keeper, and while Hardy is very raw he's still potentially a big time player.

It wasn't fully addressed, but it is a much lower priority than some other positions right now.

I think the point was that last season, the Bills took a half-assed approach to addressing a big need- arguably the biggest- on the team. They used a 2nd round draft choice and the guys already on the roster.

Hopefully Hardy and Johnson will pan out (right now I have more faith in Johnson), but they took a minimum 2-year approach to address an IMMEDIATE need, and we weren't any better at WR in 08 than we were in 07.

This year, we have huge needs at C and DE, followed closely by LB and TE. But will the Bills do anything, or will they take the half-assed approach like they usually do.

yordad
01-01-2009, 02:45 PM
I was wondering a lot with that question.

mysticsoto
01-02-2009, 10:26 AM

The biggest offseason need last year was at CB and they addressed it pretty well. WR was the 2nd need. Unfortunately, since we couldn't get any here at a decent price, we had to resort to the draft which means they need development time. I don't blame that on the FO.

They tried and unsuccessfully addressed the Dline. This year, they need to address it again, and will likely need to address it every year until it starts functioning so that this cover 2 scheme can be effective.

justasportsfan
01-02-2009, 10:29 AM
wr is not longer our biggest need. An OC is. We could have Fitz, Boldin and Lee and we'd still suck.

yordad
01-02-2009, 10:31 AM
The biggest offseason need last year was at CB and they addressed it pretty well. WR was the 2nd need. Unfortunately, since we couldn't get any here at a decent price, we had to resort to the draft which means they need development time. I don't blame that on the FO.

They tried and unsuccessfully addressed the Dline. This year, they need to address it again, and will likely need to address it every year until it starts functioning so that this cover 2 scheme can be effective.OK, so you answered it in one of the ways the question could have been interpreted. Now, do you think it was successful, or will be successsful? In other words, is Hardy or Johnson "the future"?

Jan Reimers
01-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Not like we should have, with a veteran free agent who would give Johnson and Hardy a season or so to adjust, but in typical Bills' half-ass fashion.

DraftBoy
01-02-2009, 11:20 AM
If Crabtree falls in Rd 1, you have to take him imo. Otherwise a WR can wait for a few rounds, but I'd like to add another big target. Maybe a Patrick Turner on Day 2.

acehole
01-02-2009, 11:27 AM

I now like the guys we have...including Reed and parish..I hope we keep all of them....but I hope we can design a system that can utilize thier individual talents and I dont think we do..... hardy should be thrown fades and slants...parish/reed crossing routes all day....and Wr screens..reverses.....lee skinny posts posts and curls and stop and go's.....we dont do much thinking here for ivy leaguers.

patmoran2006
01-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Addressing it and fixing it are two different things.

We did address it by drafting 2 WR's, including one in round two. I guess time will tell if it was just addressed or if it was fixed.

Personally, I'm more keen on Johnson than Hardy.. I understand rookie troubles, but the KIND of rookie troubles he has (route running, hands) I'm not sure is just going to magically go away because he's not a rookie anymore.

I like Johnson a lot more right now.

DraftBoy
01-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Addressing it and fixing it are two different things.

We did address it by drafting 2 WR's, including one in round two. I guess time will tell if it was just addressed or if it was fixed.

Personally, I'm more keen on Johnson than Hardy.. I understand rookie troubles, but the KIND of rookie troubles he has (route running, hands) I'm not sure is just going to magically go away because he's not a rookie anymore.

I like Johnson a lot more right now.

What are you basing those criticisms off of? How many drops did Hardy have this year, and what routes were his issue? I saw in a few games open down the field and he didnt get thrown the ball. It takes two to make a WR look good, the QB has to see him and Trent failed multiple times this year in trying to do that.

patmoran2006
01-02-2009, 01:13 PM
What are you basing those criticisms off of? How many drops did Hardy have this year, and what routes were his issue? I saw in a few games open down the field and he didnt get thrown the ball. It takes two to make a WR look good, the QB has to see him and Trent failed multiple times this year in trying to do that.
His bad route, drops and I'll also mention ****ty run blocking is what led him to get passed by Johnson on the depth chart BEFORE he got injured.

I'm not calling Hardy a bust, I"m saying he was very dissapointing for a rookie. I did see alot, in fact most of camp and watched him closely in games, and while your right about Trent failing to get him the ball sometimes, the truth is he did an awful job at a lot of things a "possession" WR needs to do in order to make it in this league.

Ingtar33
01-02-2009, 08:52 PM

not yet.

I love reed as a 3rd WR, i hate him as a 2nd.

until we have a good number 2, we've not addressed this.

As to Hardy, he needs more upper body strength, needs to learn how to "get" the ball, not passively wait for it to come to him, and has to learn how to use his body to box out DBs.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Yeah, I was not impressed by Hardy at all. I remember Trent threw him some good passes where Hardy was in position to take one step further and catch the ball but he just stood there like a tree and let the opposing CB to come all the way from his back and defend the ball. That is indeed running bad routes.

Anyway, I hope he is able to fix that just the way Plaxico did, I still like his hands.