PDA

View Full Version : Refs explain fiasco at the end of the 1st half vs Patriots.

yordad
01-01-2009, 11:37 AM
“At the end of the previous play, we did bring a kicking ball in with approximately 10 seconds left and the game clock running. A member of the Buffalo offense (Duke Preston) was downfield in another situation after the play had ended with two New England players. We were breaking that up, but we did have a football set to be set down with nine seconds remaining in the half. The Buffalo player was not being restricted in any way to not be able to get back to the line to set up for the next play. Therefore there would be no foul for delay of game on the defense for not allowing an offensive player to get back to get set for the next play. The fact that we had a football ready to be set for the attempt, there was no administrative stoppage because we had the football back and ready.”

link (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2008/12/28/refs-say-they-were-ready-at-end-of-half/)

ddaryl
01-01-2009, 11:59 AM
translation, uncoached and undisciplined player(s) were caught making another mental error.

ParanoidAndroid
01-01-2009, 12:13 PM
translation, uncoached and undisciplined player(s) were caught making another mental error.

You might be right, but I think that is just an instance of a bonehead player not being aware of the game. Preston should know better.
You'd think another player would have grabbed him by the jersey and pulled him to the line, but I guess there wasn't really time for that either.

Coach Sal
01-01-2009, 12:59 PM
The officials did nothing wrong in that sequence.

The Bills did nothing right.

Borosai
01-01-2009, 01:07 PM
I was surprised to see Jackson running off with the ball, but it makes sense now (at the time I didn't see a ref setting down a new ball).

Preston has **** for brains. After his little scuffle, he walks back to the line with a dumb look on his face like "Uh, where's the ball? Wha...what happened?"

OpIv37
01-01-2009, 02:14 PM
I was surprised to see Jackson running off with the ball, but it makes sense now (at the time I didn't see a ref setting down a new ball).

Preston has **** for brains. After his little scuffle, he walks back to the line with a dumb look on his face like "Uh, where's the ball? Wha...what happened?"

That's why we suck at C. Fowler rarely made mental mistakes, but he just sucked and got blown off the ball too often. Physically, Preston is a better athlete and player, but he's good for at least 1 major brain fart and 2 or 3 minor ones every game.

Too bad the Bills can't hire some mad scientist to transplant Fowler's head onto Preston's body.

pintonick96
01-01-2009, 02:32 PM
Actually the entire Patriots defense surrounded Preston after his scuffle(which was a bonehead idea to begin with) but when Lee Evans yelled at him Preston tried to run to the line. The entire Patriot *** defense surrounded him and obstructed him from getting to the line. It was a ****** ass cheap move by Belicheck and shoulda been a delay of game on the Patriots. You can't hold a player back from getting to the line after a play which the Patriots did. **** you Belicheck Im happy your ****** ass is not in the playoffs either.

TigerJ
01-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Is there a Youtube clip anywhere, or does anyone have a video they can check and upload to Youtube?

theanswer74
01-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Is there a Youtube clip anywhere, or does anyone have a video they can check and upload to Youtube?
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80dc5f4e

TigerJ
01-01-2009, 04:24 PM
I looked at that video but it really didn't show enough of the whole sequence to tell me if Preston had a real awareness or not of the time situation. The Patriots certainly did and looked as if they were deliberately not making it easy for the Bills to set up so they could attempt a field goal.

OpIv37
01-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Actually the entire Patriots defense surrounded Preston after his scuffle(which was a bonehead idea to begin with) but when Lee Evans yelled at him Preston tried to run to the line. The entire Patriot *** defense surrounded him and obstructed him from getting to the line. It was a ****** ass cheap move by Belicheck and shoulda been a delay of game on the Patriots. You can't hold a player back from getting to the line after a play which the Patriots did. **** you Belicheck Im happy your ****** ass is not in the playoffs either.

If Preston keeps his head in the game and walks away from the scuffle, we're not even having this conversation. He's still an idiot.

Dr. Lecter
01-01-2009, 09:22 PM
The Bills put themselves in a position to have a questionable call hurt them

It is the fault of the coaches and Preston (And the ST guys NOT on the field) for the mess up. Don't blame the refs even if it was a bad call.

Goobylal
01-01-2009, 09:40 PM
It didn't matter in the end, and probably sealed Preston's fate. And the Cheatriots didn't make the playoffs. I loved it!

trapezeus
01-01-2009, 09:41 PM
If Preston keeps his head in the game and walks away from the scuffle, we're not even having this conversation. He's still an idiot.

bills also still lose 13-3 if they get the kick off.

pintonick96
01-01-2009, 09:45 PM

Oh yes definitely. It starts with Preston being a dumbass on the field, and I also agree that it wasnt a bad idea for Belicheck to have his team do that. It's a cheap shot, its like when Sean Avery waved his arms in front of Brodeur's face. Not illegal, just a ****** ass cheap move.

Mitchell55
01-01-2009, 10:14 PM
This is a case where having a nice coach defintley doesnt pay off. I bet you any amount of money that Preston never even got yelled at by anyone but maybe Bobby April. If Cowher or Parcells was coaching us when that happened Prestons ass would have either been benched or they wouldve made Duke cry.

jamze132
01-02-2009, 03:31 AM
Duke Preston is a typical player whom this organization hires.

Historian
01-02-2009, 06:20 AM
Boneheaded move by Preston to be sure.

However, if it were the Pats driving with the ball, and the reverse happened, my guess is that the clock would have been stopped...a half the distance penalty would have been marked off for Unsportsmanlike conduct...and Gostenkowski would have banged through a FG.

It's just all part of being a Bills fan....

Night Train
01-02-2009, 06:28 AM
Everyone is overlooking the obvious. The Bills were playing for a FG all along, instead of going for the TD. The all too common story of Dick Jauron.

They get what they deserve.