PDA

View Full Version : Big Splash

T-Long
01-01-2009, 01:27 PM
I truly think the only way fans are going to flock back to the Ralph and to the stores to buy merchandise is if they make a Big Splash in Free Agency. Our biggest need right now is at Center and OLB. Can we all agree on that?

Centers: Jeff Saturday and Matt Birk (I truly think Birk stays, but I think Saturday comes to Buffalo in a deal similar to Langston Walker last season)

OLB: Bart Scott (I bet they don't go after him and resign Crowell to an incentive laden deal)

But, would landing Saturday and a few mid-level free agents do the trick?

I doubt it.

But hey...Brandon is a marketing guy who knows that he has got to do something to keep ticket sales up. He may just have something up his sleeve....guess we'll have to wait and see....

SabreEleven
01-01-2009, 01:29 PM
How long have you been a Bills fan?

T-Long
01-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Since I was 7....1989 to be exact

And yes, I do know why you are asking. They have done some unexpected things in the past that have surprised us...

(ie: Drew Bledsoe trade on Day 2 of the draft when everyone said it was dead, Lawyer Milloy pickup right before Week 1, nabbing 2 starters on the OL on the first day of free agency, etc...)

Hey, a man can dream can't he? It's officially the offseason and I'm SICK of being pissed about Jauron! I guess it's a type of therapy...

Cntrygal
01-01-2009, 01:35 PM
A "Big Splash in FA" will not cause me to spend 1K or more to come racing back to RWS for ONE game.

I want some sort of sign that RW is going to dedicate a fraction of his remaining life force into making the Bills a competitive team. And IMO, all the big name players won't make a difference if the coaching staff isn't going to properly utilize the talent.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Bart Scott? He is not an UFA I think, I mean he was drafted in 2006 so even if his contract expires he would be a RFA and we would have to pay compensation and that considering the Ravens don't resign him before March which would be dumb.

I would love to see Matt Birk in Buffalo by the way but I don't know, even if the FO tries to land him here there are other sixteen teams interested I guess.

T-Long
01-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Bart Scott? He is not an UFA I think, I mean he was drafted in 2006 so even if his contract expires he would be a RFA and we would have to pay compensation and that considering the Ravens don't resign him before March which would be dumb.

I would love to see Matt Birk in Buffalo by the way but I don't know, even if the FO tries to land him here there are other sixteen teams interested I guess.

Bart Scott was never drafted. He was an undrafted free agent, so he is an UFA in 2009.

T-Long
01-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Here is a list of the UFA Linebackers in 2009:

Top Ones
Ray Lewis
Eric Barton
Karlos Dansby
Mike Peterson
Jonathan Vilma

Others
Jordan Beck, UFA, Denver Broncos
Monty Beisel, UFA, Arizona Cardinals
Michael Boley, UFA, Atlanta Falcons
Angelo Crowell, UFA, Buffalo Bills
Channing Crowder, UFA, Miami Dolphins
James Farrior, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers
Tyjuan Hagler, UFA, Indianapolis Colts
Leroy Hill, UFA, Seattle Sehawks
Willie McGinest, UFA, Cleveland Browns
Carlos Polk, UFA, San Diego Chargers
Sam Williams, UFA, Oakland Raiders

Mr. Pink
01-01-2009, 01:42 PM
Even if we had replaced the coach we would have needed a "big splash" as you call it.

I would feel much better about the prospects of 2009 if we were to go out and get some NFL caliber talent at places of weakness on this team.

Be it signing Saturday or Birk, signing Scott or Dansby, bringing in Kurt Warner, signing Peppers or Bertrand Berry.

Bring in any of those guys with a few other upgrades and a strong draft, we might manage to do better than 4-12 w/ that absolutely brutal schedule we have coming up.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-01-2009, 01:43 PM
ralph already said he's not making any changes. get ready for 4-12

T-Long
01-01-2009, 01:50 PM
ralph already said he's not making any changes. get ready for 4-12
he said no changes with the coaching staff, not the roster

The Jokeman
01-01-2009, 01:53 PM
I truly think the only way fans are going to flock back to the Ralph and to the stores to buy merchandise is if they make a Big Splash in Free Agency. Our biggest need right now is at Center and OLB. Can we all agree on that?

Centers: Jeff Saturday and Matt Birk (I truly think Birk stays, but I think Saturday comes to Buffalo in a deal similar to Langston Walker last season)

OLB: Bart Scott (I bet they don't go after him and resign Crowell to an incentive laden deal)

But, would landing Saturday and a few mid-level free agents do the trick?

I doubt it.

But hey...Brandon is a marketing guy who knows that he has got to do something to keep ticket sales up. He may just have something up his sleeve....guess we'll have to wait and see....
Saturday doesn't seem to fit the mold of the big O-line the current regime seemingly favors. That's why I think a guy like Jason Brown does. I won't deny Scott's a good player but don't see us pursuing a guy like him. As have a feeling we'll pursue Crowell but if he leaves we'll end up going with a cheap veteran perhaps Brady Poppinga to compete with Ellison and Bowen.

T-Long
01-01-2009, 01:56 PM
bottom line they need an upgrade at center and I don't think that comes in the draft because there is no center who is worth an early 1st round pick.

I think they HAVE to go after Saturday or Birk to fill out the O-line.

Ellison should NEVER start a football game unless the guy ahead of him is hurt. He is NOT a starter and never will be. I think our needs go in order as...

1. DE
2. OLB
3. C

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Yeah, of those guys you mentioned in the linebackers' list I'm not sure. Ray Lewis is not going anywhere and maybe Vilma (I'm not really aware how good he did in NO) but can he even play as an outside linebacker? The same question goes to James Farrior, another top guy in the list.

Anyway, I don't think Brandon is interested and I don't even know if I'm interested. If we are talking about a big free agency signing I would prefer to focus in our defensive line or our offensive line.

Just sign Crowell and we would have:

Crowell - Posluszny - Mitchell ... depth: Ellison & DiGiorgio

That's good and we would be able to focus in the pass rushing defensive end.

EDIT - But of course Bart Scott would be a nice pick-up.

T-Long
01-01-2009, 01:58 PM
I'm fine with not going for an OLB in the draft (obviously if Curry isn't at pick 11), but I think we definitely go DE with our first pick. I don't know of any difference makers coming out in Free Agency at that position besides Peppers and Berry...and Ralph would never pay for those guys anyway

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Julius Peppers!

DynaPaul
01-01-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm positive that we will make a big splash next year.

That big splash will be us hitting the toilet bowl water seconds before going swirling down the drain.

bflobarry
01-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Our second and third needs are Center and OLB. Our top need is a pass rushing DE to replace "turnstile Kelsay".

SabreEleven
01-02-2009, 03:26 AM
Since I was 7....1989 to be exact

And yes, I do know why you are asking. They have done some unexpected things in the past that have surprised us...

(ie: Drew Bledsoe trade on Day 2 of the draft when everyone said it was dead, Lawyer Milloy pickup right before Week 1, nabbing 2 starters on the OL on the first day of free agency, etc...)

Hey, a man can dream can't he? It's officially the offseason and I'm SICK of being pissed about Jauron! I guess it's a type of therapy...

Yea, I was being sarcastic but how long ago were these "big splashes" you name?
Ralph can't spend money because he is going to be buried with it.