Moving Pos outside and Mitchell inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mitchell55
    only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
    • Feb 2008

Moving Pos outside and Mitchell inside

Why not. Pos is defintley a player that needs sideline to sideline freedom and in his scouting report it did say that that is his best strength, so is chasing down players. Mitchell has to be our slowest LB but he can tackle and he cant chase down ball carriers at all. Id say put Mitchell at MLB so he doesnt have to worry about chasing anyone or worring about TE coverage and put Pos at OLB because it fits his strengths.
  • pintonick96
    You guys are all nerds. Just give me team updates and STFU.
    • Aug 2005

Re: Moving Pos outside and Mitchell inside

The MLB is the guy who had sideline to sideline freedom. Mitchell isnt really slow. Our worst LB is actually Crowell who I dont get why everyone is so high on. Crowell was constantly out of position last year and doesnt even do the most basic of LB techniques in keeping his outside arm free.

Comment

• Mitchell55
      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by pintonick96
      The MLB is the guy who had sideline to sideline freedom. Mitchell isnt really slow. Our worst LB is actually Crowell who I dont get why everyone is so high on. Crowell was constantly out of position last year and doesnt even do the most basic of LB techniques in keeping his outside arm free.

Wow, you just said the oposite of reality. The MLBs job is to plug up the holes in the line, the OLBs job is from the middle of the field to the sideline stopping the run. I missworded it, not sideline to sideline but stopping the outside run. Mitchell is slow and he lets people like Pennington and Cassell burn him which is like loosing a race to a person with 1 leg. Crowell is clearly our best LB and had 120 tackles last year and 2 sacks. He would of been 12th in the nfl this year in tackles.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Mitchell59
        Wow, you just said the oposite of reality. The MLBs job is to plug up the holes in the line, the OLBs job is from the middle of the field to the sideline stopping the run. I missworded it, not sideline to sideline but stopping the outside run. Mitchell is slow and he lets people like Pennington and Cassell burn him which is like loosing a race to a person with 1 leg. Crowell is clearly our best LB and had 120 tackles last year and 2 sacks. He would of been 12th in the nfl this year in tackles.
        Except that we run a Tampa 2, which requires the MLB to drop deep and cover the middle of the field, and be fast enough to come up on the underneath stuff and in run support. Mitchell is terrible when he gets in one on one coverage situations and would give up too many passes over the center of the field.

As far as Crowell I think you're both wrong. He's solid, but he's not spectacular and a lot of people on this board completely overrate him.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
          • May 2007

^ Yeah, I second that. There is no way Mitchell would be able to cover the middle of the Tampa Two field.

Also, I would like to add that there is no need to fix what is not broken. I really think Mitchell did a good job and also Posluszny, if we are going to change anything about the linebacking core lets get an outside linebacker that can replace Ellison or lets just get some depth.
          I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

Comment

• BILLSROCK1212
            !?!?!?!?!?
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
            ^ Yeah, I second that. There is no way Mitchell would be able to cover the middle of the Tampa Two field.

Also, I would like to add that there is no need to fix what is not broken. I really think Mitchell did a good job and also Posluszny, if we are going to change anything about the linebacking core lets get an outside linebacker that can replace Ellison or lets just get some depth.
            isn't Mitchell the one with the 2 BIG midfield INTs this year.....just saying not taking sides here just pointing that out

Comment

• Mitchell55
              • Feb 2008

Honestly all of Mitchells biggest plays came when dropping deep into coverage.

Comment

• Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
                • May 2007

Originally posted by BILLSROCK1212
                isn't Mitchell the one with the 2 BIG midfield INTs this year.....just saying not taking sides here just pointing that out
                Yeah, but in the Rivers' interception he was just covering the midle-range pass because the defense didn't blitz *shocking* but he was not at all filling up the cover two gap. There is a big difference between running a conservative play against the pass as a linebacker and filling up the safeties gap.

Also, that play was in the red zone so there was not much field to cover.

I think the other play was something like that but I don't remember really.

Originally posted by Mitchell59
                Honestly all of Mitchells biggest plays came when dropping deep into coverage.
                And still in non of those plays he had to cover the middle gap.
                I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

Comment

• DMBcrew36
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
                  Except that we run a Tampa 2, which requires the MLB to drop deep and cover the middle of the field, and be fast enough to come up on the underneath stuff and in run support. Mitchell is terrible when he gets in one on one coverage situations and would give up too many passes over the center of the field.

As far as Crowell I think you're both wrong. He's solid, but he's not spectacular and a lot of people on this board completely overrate him.
                  Yeah, I remember watching multiple times last season where Crowell blew his assignments and missed his gaps. The color commentators even pointed it out once or twice during a game.

Fact is, our linebackers are plain mediochre - all three of them. Mitchell goes hot and cold like crazy. He'll make an awesome play and then get burned a few times. Poz is not as fast as people think (which was one knock on him coming out of college) and is not dominant or game-changing so far in his young career. I doubt he will ever be a Ray Lewis. And I already mentioned Crowell.

I do think however also think that replacing our crappy defensive-ends would make our current linebackers look better.

Comment

• jimbohastle51
                    All-Pro Zoner
                    • Feb 2005

poz had over 100 tackles in his first "real" season for us and has only played middle linebacker for 2 seasons (not counting 2 or 3 games last year). at penn st. he was an outside linebacker his whole career except his senior year because he had acl surgery the offseason before his senior year. i think he did great for pretty much a rookie. any time a rookie linebacker can get over 100 tackles in a season is pretty impressive. and mitchell does his best work outside. he had 4 sacks and a couple picks he does his job. the reason at times they looked bad isnt really all there fault. ellison is the BIGGEST whole on our defense besides our pass rush. he cant tackle or penitrate the line of scrimage (he cant bitz, he is too small, he cant get around O-linemen) when we have crowell or whoever (we WILL upgrade that position weather it be the draft or free agency) you will see a big change. poz will go for 110 or so tackles to 140 and mitchell will go from 4 sacks and 2 picks to 6 sacks and 4 picks. things will be better because they wont have to compensate for the weak link (ellison)

Comment

• jamze132
                      Don’t hate…
                      • Jun 2003

This site overrates every LB we have.

Mitchel can't cover himself with a blanket, Poz is in over his head at MLB, and Ellison shouldn't even be a LB.

I would put Poz outside opposite of Mitchel and go after the best MLB in FA and draft the best MLB available with either our first or second pick.

Comment

• Dujek
                        Hall of Fame Zoner
                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by jamze132
                        This site overrates every LB we have.

Mitchel can't cover himself with a blanket, Poz is in over his head at MLB, and Ellison shouldn't even be a LB.

I would put Poz outside opposite of Mitchel and go after the best MLB in FA and draft the best MLB available with either our first or second pick.

Somebody else who gets it.

Though I went off Maualuga a bit last night, he took too many bad angles for my liking.

Comment

Working...
                        X