• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shelby
    The Vanilla *****
    • Jul 2002

BillsZone Exclusive: The Historian Ponders Wilson's Decision to Keep Jauron

Like many Bills fans, I have taken the time off to reflect on the goings-on at One Bills Drive.

I realize that I risk hammering the same point over and over, but after 41 seasons of watching Ralph Wilson operate, I have to say that I understand (for the most part) how he thinks.

This decision was 1/2 financial.

There is a significant cost savings in retaining Jauron, as opposed to dumping him and paying him off, and then paying someone new. That, I understand. Besides, he already played his insubordination card 10 years ago, and lost....big time!
    Here's the problem with Ralph, though: He's always one decision behind the times. He doesn't learn very quickly. He is still paying for the Phillips termination to this day. It's taken him nine losing seasons to realize that perhaps firing a winning coach in haste is a bad idea. Say what you want about Dallas, headsets, and punt catchers, Wade is the only Bills Head Coach to never have a losing season here!

Ralph is still stinging from that one. He made a bad decision in haste, and it has haunted him for nine years. Not to mention the legal problems that ensued when the league demanded he pay Phillips the balance of his contract. This had to be in the back of his mind as he decided Dick Jauron's fate. Overhauling the team again, after nine playoff-less seasons, would probably set the team back at least two more years, maybe three. Now you're up to 12 years without a playoff berth, and sixteen without a Division Title, which is unacceptable.

That brings me to the other half of the decision:

Continuity.

After two previous three-and-out Coaches, and again, the Wade firing, I believe the old man honestly thinks that continuity is the way to proceed here. Most younger fans don't know the Pre-Super Bowl Ralph. He was hot tempered, and quick to fire. Most of the time, it was justified.
    more....

• ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Re: BillsZone Exclusive: The Historian Ponders Wilson's Decision to Keep Jauron

Same sentiment here Dave.

I don't have even half the Bills experience you have, but I agree that this looks to be a well thought out decision. The fact it took several days for the decision to come down, I'd be surprised Ralph didn't consult someone outside the organization. Definitely Marv.

I don't buy the theory that Ralph put money over winning at this joint of his life. The man wants to win. He just doesn't know how. Being in Buffalo and the financial situation he's in, I can see that he does not want to dole out money to coaches he doesn't yet. I don't know how many big name coaches found similar success in their second/third gigs (except maybe Parcells). So he's constantly looking for one who can establish in Buffalo before he pays him big. The trouble is, his bottom-of-the-league offering may not get those upcomers in the first place!

My opinion of Jauron is that he's like Marv. With talent and good assistent coaches, he can succeed just like Marv. And he just might foster a good environment for the good players to prosper. But like Marv, when the assistent caoches leave after success, he will lose lustre. And when the talent level drops, he'll tank. In other words, he's not a Bilichick, who IS the source of success.

As for Wade Philips, unlike Jauron, he should stay as a coordinator. Wade is a football man, especially defensive football. he just doesn't have the executive management skills to run a team as a HC. I didn't mind to see him go as a HC because he'll never have consistent success in that capacity.

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

Still, the key is gameday decision making. You have to think quick on your feet & Jauron may be the worst in the NFL in this aspect.

Like Jerry Sullivan has stated, he & the players keep talking about how super the practices go on Friday, yet cannot translate it to the field on gameday. Look at that putrid clock management.

When ones record is always poor against winning teams, I'm sensing a pattern.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Historian
        2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
        • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Night Train
        Still, the key is gameday decision making. You have to think quick on your feet & Jauron may be the worst in the NFL in this aspect.
        That's a fair point NT, and my guess will be the straw that breaks the camels back if the Bills end up with anything less than a Wild Card spot next year.

Perhaps the answer is hiring a Quality Control guy to help the players and Coaches with Clock management, and replay decisions.

I guess the point of this piece is that, I'm dissapointed a change wasn't made, especially with all the Coaching talent out there that is unemployed. However, I also think I understand why the decision on Jauron's retention was made...from a business and a W-L point of view.

Comment

• don137
          • Jul 2002

Bills need a coach that will not make bonehead game day decisions that costs this team 2-3 victories a year. With a cash to cap system the Bills are already behind the 8 ball in comparison to most teams. As a result they can't bring in as much talent as other teams and must have a coach that will not hurt this team. Jauron hurts this team by letting them practice indoors the weeks of home games so they are not use to the elements and lose their advantage of the weather and bonehead gameday decisions.
          I already accepted the fact we will never make the playoffs under Jauron.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
            • Aug 2004

I actually fully expect them to make the playoff next year. I'm less certain Jauron is the kind of coach can take the Bills as far as Marv Levy did.

Theoretically, if the Bills can address OLB, DE, and C position through FA and draft, all major holes are filled - in other area of concerns, they have some young players showed some promise.

Comment

• billsfanone
              Majored in Home Economics
              • Sep 2008

Good and fair article.

Do you think Ralph kicks himself for extending Jauron so early? Had he waited, there wouldn't be this mess. At 5-1, extending him didn't seem like a bad idea. Hindsight is 20-20.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                • Mar 2005

The article is fair and correct.

Having marginal talent means that as a coach you can't make any mistakes. I've seen Parcells take two mediocre rosters to the playoffs only to have those same rosters revert the following year. So what do you get in the end?

I point out 3 key coaching decisions that I gave Jauron, and staff, a pass on 2 but a deserved pink slip on the 3rd.

1) Cleveland. When your QB is struggling don't put him in harms way. 3rd and 1, don't empty the backfield and make it an obvious pass play so he can throw his third pick. Edwards is still learning ad the coaches thought he would bounce back so they didn't change the gameplan. Forgiven.

2) Jets. Losman is a veteran. Hard to tell a coach not to call a play because your QB is potentially ******ed. Forgiven.

3) Pats. You are coaching for your job (or maybe not) and you know the magnifying glass in on you. You've been ripped all year for poor time management. So you blow a chance to get 3 points at the end of the half and than get roped into taking a timeout on 4th and forever by Bellichek. You should have been fired for this.

Jauron is in a fan's best place. He has to win to keep his job.

Comment

Working...
                X