PDA

View Full Version : For those who don't understand the damage by not re-signing Peters.

HHURRICANE
01-02-2009, 11:00 AM
For those who don't understand the damage of not re-signing Peters to a new deal let me give you my thoughts:

1) If we trade Peters the best we are looking at is maybe a 1st and a 3rd. That's the absolute best case. This year we got McKlevin and Ellis. Does McKlevin and Ellis = Peters? No.

2) The liklihood that a team is willing to give a 1st round pick that's top 5 and the Bills are willing to negotiate the enormous contract for a top 5 is shall we say less than 2%.

3) Usually when a team trades a top player, like Stroud, it's because they have another player that is pushing the position. When did Kirk Chambers not suck?

4) Who is out there that sin't quite as good as Peters but better than Chambers? What's his contract going to be? Are we saving that much money?

5) Peters is not a lazy bum. He's a hard worker who actually enjoys being a Bill. The players respect him. The sad part is that the team treats it's FAs better than the players they actually sign out of college.

I watched our o-line suck monkey balls for years. We finally have a solid line. Add a Birk to the Center psoition and maybe we have on of the best lines in football.

Bruce Smith was our greatest Bill ever and he was 5 times the pain in the butt that Peters is. People forget that Bruce missed a Superbowl because of a "virus".

If you don't want to be a loser than you keep the best players you have. Like it or not he is the Bills best player.

acehole
01-02-2009, 11:17 AM
It begs other questions...

Can we find another Gem in the late rounds and develope him?

Are we a contender next year or are we not?

What is the offer?

The answer is if we dont want to meet his number which I suspect we don't.... Yes...even though it may hurt our team short term.

The answer is we are not a contenders...and we may not be for 1-3 years.

So yea a first and a second start to look good to a team that gets most of its talent from the draft....and we can trade down and turn those into 3-5 guys potentially and if the guy doesnt want to be here or play for scraps then yes.....get what you can for him.

I hope we keep him he is a great story for us.

But reality is reality.

For those who don't understand the damage of not re-signing Peters to a new deal let me give you my thoughts:

1) If we trade Peters the best we are looking at is maybe a 1st and a 3rd. That's the absolute best case. This year we got McKlevin and Ellis. Does McKlevin and Ellis = Peters? No.

2) The liklihood that a team is willing to give a 1st round pick that's top 5 and the Bills are willing to negotiate the enormous contract for a top 5 is shall we say less than 2%.

3) Usually when a team trades a top player, like Stroud, it's because they have another player that is pushing the position. When did Kirk Chambers not suck?

4) Who is out there that sin't quite as good as Peters but better than Chambers? What's his contract going to be? Are we saving that much money?

5) Peters is not a lazy bum. He's a hard worker who actually enjoys being a Bill. The players respect him. The sad part is that the team treats it's FAs better than the players they actually sign out of college.

I watched our o-line suck monkey balls for years. We finally have a solid line. Add a Birk to the Center psoition and maybe we have on of the best lines in football.

Bruce Smith was our greatest Bill ever and he was 5 times the pain in the butt that Peters is. People forget that Bruce missed a Superbowl because of a "virus".

If you don't want to be a loser than you keep the best players you have. Like it or not he is the Bills best player.

bigbub2352
01-02-2009, 11:23 AM
We have so much cap space according to Chris Brown 25 mil under cap
You sign this guy and make the problem go away, we have way to many other wholes to fill
Sick of developing talent for the rest of the league and signing the wrong players all the time like Denney and Schobel

acehole
01-02-2009, 11:29 AM
We have so much cap space according to Chris Brown 25 mil under cap
You sign this guy and make the problem go away, we have way to many other wholes to fill
Sick of developing talent for the rest of the league and signing the wrong players all the time like Denney and Schobel

Good pionts for sure...but we are the Buffalo Bills.

We dont really make sense here.....

madness
01-02-2009, 12:51 PM
I really don't think Peters is going anywhere. There's too many holes on this team to worry about another one. I also think Ralph is going to try to plug as many holes as he can so there won't be any excuses for Jauron next year. Trading Peters would be a step back, not forward.

RockStar36
01-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Why are there 8 million threads about Peters getting traded? Who said he was going to be traded? Last time I checked, he is under contract. The Bills FO also told him that they are willing to re-negotiate at the end of the season. The off-season is a long process. Why don't we let this rest for a few weeks.

Tatonka
01-02-2009, 01:13 PM
11.5 sacks given up. 3 that could have absolutely killed our ****ty qb.

yeah.. make him the highest paid player on the team.

Tatonka
01-02-2009, 01:14 PM
11.5 half sacks was the number that langston walker gave up his last year in oakland when everyone said he sucked ass... fyi.

patmoran2006
01-02-2009, 01:15 PM
He'll be dealt with this offseason. He'll be offered a new deal, its a question of whether he accepts.

I would draw a hard line with him. He DEFINITELY deserves a raise, LT is a premium position and like it or not, he's one of the top half-dozen LT's in the league, not to mention young and just hitting his prime.

But if he thinks he's getting/deserves a $9-10 million per year deal, he'll end up getting traded before that happens in Buffalo.

And I dont think he deserves $9 million per year either, btw.

HHURRICANE
01-02-2009, 01:15 PM
Why are there 8 million threads about Peters getting traded? Who said he was going to be traded? Last time I checked, he is under contract. The Bills FO also told him that they are willing to re-negotiate at the end of the season. The off-season is a long process. Why don't we let this rest for a few weeks.

Because even the local paper is concerned that they won't be able to come to terms with him.

patmoran2006
01-02-2009, 01:17 PM
11.5 sacks given up. 3 that could have absolutely killed our ****ty qb.

yeah.. make him the highest paid player on the team.
While I agree with your sentiment, you watched all the games, and Peters was HIGHLY scrutinzed.. And the sacks given up stat mUST be flawed. I dont remember giving up anything close to 13 sacks.

Maybe a DE lined up near him, stunted up the middle or something and got the QB and it does on Peters.. I dont know the formula.

But your smart enough to know as well as I there was no way Peters gave up 11. 5 sacks. I can think of 4-5 games where he was utterly dominant.

Id say 7-8 is a more likely number.

its kind of like tackles.. If you go to bills.com, yahoo sports or nfl.com you'll get a different number of tackles for every defender.

Tatonka
01-02-2009, 01:24 PM
i know he didnt give up 11.5 sacks all on his own.

i do know that he played average to below average in a lot of games.. and you dont make a player the highest paid player on your team if he plays average at all at any time.

peters is not worth the money he thinks he is. and he has grown cocky and his head has swelled up. he thinks he is much better than he actually is.. he is not walter jones in his prime. he is not anthony munoz. he is a sometimes dominant, sometimes average, lazy OT.

Tatonka
01-02-2009, 01:26 PM
and let me say this. i dont think he needs to be traded. and i agree he should get paid more.. but like pat said, not anywhere close to 9 mill a year.

i offer him in the range of 5years 40 mill, and if he scoffs at it.. let him rot for 2 years.

patmoran2006
01-02-2009, 01:27 PM
i know he didnt give up 11.5 sacks all on his own.

i do know that he played average to below average in a lot of games.. and you dont make a player the highest paid player on your team if he plays average at all at any time.

peters is not worth the money he thinks he is. and he has grown cocky and his head has swelled up. he thinks he is much better than he actually is.. he is not walter jones in his prime. he is not anthony munoz. he is a sometimes dominant, sometimes average, lazy OT.
Agreed. I said aint no way he's worth $9-10 million per year and I'd deal him before paying him that much.

But two clear facts remain.

1- In comparison to other LT's around the league, he's grossly underpaid.. To be only the third highest paid OL on your own team is a joke (in more ways than one), which leads to two.

2- He may not be as good as he thinks he is (agreed), but he is clearly the best OL on THIS team.

he deserves a raise. but not $9-10 million per year.

HAMMER
01-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Peters doesn't deserve a raise, he gave up too many game changing sacks and his attitude sucks.

RockStar36
01-02-2009, 02:01 PM
I honestly could care less about the guy.

When he actually decided to report to the team, I said right at that instant that I would be holding him to a higher standard since he thought he was good enough to skip OTA's, camp, and pre-season because he was so much better while all the others worked their asses off.

He then came into the games, let up quite a few sacks, and almost all of those sacks either got the QB killed or resulted in some form of turnover. I was never once impressed with him this entire season. I found it hysterical that he made the pro-bowl but then again, so did Brett ****ing Favre.

If he gets an extension, so be it. If he gets traded, good for us. I really could care less about the guy.

HHURRICANE
01-02-2009, 02:10 PM
You people are nuts!!!!!

Peters made tons of mistakes this year with no camp and missing the first game. However, do you realize that the Bills were leading the league with most snaps without a sack until Edwards got hurt in the 49rs game?

The so called "sacks allowed". You might want to go back and watch the games. Our 6 mllion a year LG should have been charged without about half of them.

5 million a year? That's what Walker makes.

Maybe if the Bills had extended Peters in week 5 for 7 million a year instead of Jauron for 2 million a year we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

You people spent years *****ing about our O-line and than you finally have one and you want to get rid of our best player.

Who's taking his spot? Just curious. Chambers? The guy that got demoted to RT while Langston played LT during pre-season. That guy?

Tatonka
01-02-2009, 02:15 PM
move langston back to LT. we did fine with him there and chambers is good enough to play RT.

the line actually played better when peters was out of the games.

Tatonka
01-02-2009, 02:18 PM
if peters wants to continue thinking he is better than the team that is.

HHURRICANE
01-02-2009, 02:32 PM
move langston back to LT. we did fine with him there and chambers is good enough to play RT.

the line actually played better when peters was out of the games.

I have read this quote from a bunch of people here and this is the biggest fallacy.

Yeah, and we won games with Tutan Reyes and Mike Williams. Should we bring them back?

If you want to guarantee sucking next year trade him.

HHURRICANE
01-02-2009, 02:34 PM
if peters wants to continue thinking he is better than the team that is.

Yeah, demanding to get paid more than Dockery and Walker is selfish. He should play out his contract at half of what they make and risk getting injured to never see a pay day.

If I remember right he was the only one to comment on how the Toronto game wasn't right for the fans of Buffalo.

Bill Brasky
01-02-2009, 02:38 PM
nonsense. we should get rid of peters. why keep one of our best players, at arguably the most difficult position to fill on an NFL roster?

i'm sure there's some below-average guy we can pay in the form of food stamps for 35% less productivity.

thank god you morons aren't running this team. we'd be 2-14 every year. you ***** about not having good players, then when the team has them they're not good enough and should be ran out of town because they're not worth market value. unbelievable.

RockStar36
01-02-2009, 02:45 PM
He's good, but I always look at him a little differently now that he did his whole little tantrum last pre-season. Following that up with several let up sacks, turnovers, etc... and I really don't care about him. Considering that Jauron is back in the fold, this team as 3-13 written all over them anyways.

yordad
01-02-2009, 02:51 PM
"No one quits on me" ~ Ralph Wilson

"That 'bundle of sticks' can go pound sand" ~ yordad

Bill Brasky
01-02-2009, 02:56 PM
jim kelly disliked buffalo so much he went to the USFL. when he finally came here, he won 4 games his first season. i wonder how today's bills fans would have reacted.

big deal peters held out, he's not the first and he won't be the last. it's the nature of the game nowadays. as much as i disliked his decision to hold out, you can't blame him for doing so when you look at the facts.

i don't think there's a person on this board who wouldn't throw a hissy fit if they were the lone bright spot in a department full of under-achievers. all the while being near the bottom of the pay scale.

nobody denies he handled it poorly, but he has a legitimate gripe.

RockStar36
01-02-2009, 02:58 PM
I disagree. He signed his current deal as an extension from the team. Nobody told him he had to sign it when he did. He put himself in that situation and then followed very poor advice from a very poor agent.

HHURRICANE
01-02-2009, 03:01 PM
He's good, but I always look at him a little differently now that he did his whole little tantrum last pre-season.

I just want to make sure I have this right.

You're mad at a guy that is making half of what Dockery gets and is negotiating with a front office who just prematurely re-signed a losing coach to new deal.

I feel sorry for Peters. I really do. He picked the Bills because he grew up as a Bills fan. He plays his way onto the roster through special teams. Converts from TE to RT. Takes over for loser Mike Williams. Plays so well that they give him the hardest position on the line. Plays well enough there to make the Pro-bowl twice.

Instead of addressing him we decide to save a few bucks by rushing the HC extension and now a few of you are mad at the way he handled things?

This is laughable.

Bill Brasky
01-02-2009, 03:04 PM
He signed his current deal as an extension from the team.

that is his problem, on which i've agreed with you since TC. i can see his side and the front office.

however, i think the bigger problem is:

A) this team sucks
B) peters is a top 5 player in a position that is regarded as one of, if not the hardest, position to fill in all of football
C) that in turn makes him our best OL, bad season or not. i don't negate 3 good seasons in spite of 1 bad one

after 9 years of no playoffs, i think the FO needs to bite the bullet and retain the talent it has, instead of shipping them out of town because they lowballed a franchise player and then refused to bend on future negotiations when his stock has obviously risen dramatically.

on a side note, i've always been curious of this. he was converted from TE to LT. why don't the bills ever use him in pass plays near the goal line?

HHURRICANE
01-02-2009, 03:12 PM
I disagree. He signed his current deal as an extension from the team. Nobody told him he had to sign it when he did. He put himself in that situation and then followed very poor advice from a very poor agent.

I usually agree with your posts but WTF?!?!?

This is the lamest argument in the world. Deals get reworked all of the time.

And if I'm not mistaken this deal was signed before he was switched to LT.

Tatonka
01-02-2009, 03:14 PM
I have read this quote from a bunch of people here and this is the biggest fallacy.

Yeah, and we won games with Tutan Reyes and Mike Williams. Should we bring them back?

If you want to guarantee sucking next year trade him.

i guarentee we suck with or without him.

RockStar36
01-02-2009, 03:14 PM
I believe the FO told him that he would need to show up like everyone else had to in order to get a deal re-worked. It seemed to have worked out for Lee Evans. Maybe Peters should think for himself instead of being led by the nose by some idiot agent.

Bill Brasky
01-02-2009, 03:17 PM
I usually agree with your posts but WTF?!?!?

This is the lamest argument in the world. Deals get reworked all of the time.

And if I'm not mistaken this deal was signed before he was switched to LT.

wasn't he signed, converted, and renegotiated?

i can't recall.

either way. i can see why some of the fans, and the FO, wouldn't wanna rework a deal for the 3rd time. it sets a bad precedent. esp after the FO made it clear they would not negotiate without players being in camp.

however, this all goes back to talent evaluating and the FO trying to pinch pennies. the bills obviously knew what they had in peters otherwise they wouldn't have converted him to play an extremely difficult position protecting the QB's blindside. they lowballed him and now are paying the price.

you don't just convert an undrafted dude to play LT without knowing he's gonna be something. that's like buying a benz for dirt cheap then claiming you didn't know it was such a good car. BUSCH LEAGUE.

Tatonka
01-02-2009, 03:21 PM
and regardless of the actual amount sacks given up listed on some web site... the actual number is somewhere between 5-7 were on jason completely. that being said.. there were clearly 6 or so other LTs that played better. he is replacable. period. is he good? yeah.. when he feels motivated to get off his lazy ass and play. but he is not worth what he thinks he is..

Bill Brasky
01-02-2009, 03:24 PM
and regardless of the actual amount sacks given up... somewhere between 5-7 were on jason completely. that being said.. there were clearly 6 or so other LTs that played better. he is replacable. period.

i disagree. good LT's don't fall off trees like RB's. if you find one above average, you do everything to keep him.

QB, LT, DE are positions that should never be compromised, and right now the Bills have problems with all 3. :ill:

if we are going to trade/release a guy over a matter of 6 sacks and fair monetary compensation you can kiss any chance of this franchise being remotely competitive good bye.

again - i don't undestand this fan base. we cry to high hell when we don't have good players. when we actually do have them, you guys nitpick every little thing wrong with them to the point where you grow to hate them. it's assinine.

HHURRICANE
01-02-2009, 03:26 PM
wasn't he signed, converted, and renegotiated?

i can't recall.

either way. i can see why some of the fans, and the FO, wouldn't wanna rework a deal for the 3rd time. it sets a bad precedent. esp after the FO made it clear they would not negotiate without players being in camp.

however, this all goes back to talent evaluating and the FO trying to pinch pennies. the bills obviously knew what they had in peters otherwise they wouldn't have converted him to play an extremely difficult position protecting the QB's blindside. they lowballed him and now are paying the price.

you don't just convert an undrafted dude to play LT without knowing he's gonna be something. that's like buying a benz for dirt cheap then claiming you didn't know it was such a good car. BUSCH LEAGUE.

I made this exact point over the summer.

They negotiated a deal that they should have known was going to come back and bite them.

You have your LT at 3 million/yr. and he watches you sign a RT at 5 million/yr. and a LG at 6 million/yr. and you expect him to say or do nothing?

I'm in the business world and it happened to me early on in my career and I just said I'll walk. Guess what? They renegotiated.

People are so small time around here that they expect him just to be quiet because 3 million dollars is kabillion, zillion dollars.

HHURRICANE
01-02-2009, 03:28 PM
and regardless of the actual amount sacks given up listed on some web site... the actual number is somewhere between 5-7 were on jason completely. that being said.. there were clearly 6 or so other LTs that played better. he is replacable. period. is he good? yeah.. when he feels motivated to get off his lazy ass and play. but he is not worth what he thinks he is..

Okay, problem sloved. Let's get one of the other 6!

Who's available and how much do we need to pay them?

Tatonka
01-02-2009, 03:29 PM
he did not play like a top 5 LT at all this year. period. he shouldnt be paid like one.

Bill Brasky
01-02-2009, 03:33 PM
he did not play like a top 5 LT at all this year. period. he shouldnt be paid like one.

ok. so who do we replace him with then? everyone's solution around here is to get rid of him and then what? ***** about how is replacement isn't jason peters when he performs poorly. it's bound to happen. players have bad games. some have bad seasons. it happens. you're going to convienently forget he's been arguably our best offensive player for 2 of the past 3 seasons and gotten paid absolutely SQUAT compared to similar talent?

just like firing jauron would rid this franchise of any problems and magically lift them to 14-2.

TacklingDummy
01-02-2009, 03:35 PM
I guess I am the only one who won't miss Peters when they ship him out of Buffalo.

Bill Brasky
01-02-2009, 03:38 PM
I guess I am the only one who won't miss Peters when they ship him out of Buffalo.

and i don't think anyone would care or be surprised considering your piss-poor outlook on just about everything in life.

TacklingDummy
01-02-2009, 03:41 PM
and i don't think anyone would care or be surprised considering your piss-poor outlook on just about everything in life.

:link:

Go back to your cop hating son.

HHURRICANE
01-02-2009, 03:41 PM

When you come up with a better solution let me know.

I don't like giving the government almost half my income in taxes either but I'm not moving to the Soviet Union.

HHURRICANE
01-02-2009, 03:43 PM

Again solution?

*****ing for the sake of *****ing gets annoying.

I think some of you would rather have the Bills suck.

Bill Brasky
01-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Go back to your cop hating son.

you are so blind you couldn't face reality if it smacked you in the face with a braille book.

i don't hate cops, for the 5000th time. i hate idiots like you. given your general disposition and treatment towards others, i'd say you work in some sort of law-enforcement capacity.

TacklingDummy
01-02-2009, 03:44 PM
you are so blind you couldn't face reality if it smacked you in the face with a braille book.

Again, :link: or :stfu:

TacklingDummy
01-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Again solution?

*****ing for the sake of *****ing gets annoying.

I've already said the solution for weeks. Peters to the Bengals for Chad and their 2nd round pick. Chambers/Walker did well enough when Peters was out.

Who's *****ing besides you? If the Bills traded Peters I wouldn't ***** at all. Unless they got nothing in return.

TacklingDummy
01-02-2009, 03:48 PM
i don't hate cops, for the 5000th time. i hate idiots like you.

The feeling is mutual.

given your general disposition and treatment towards others.

How I treat others? :lmao: Coming from you.

billogic99
01-02-2009, 04:09 PM
I think the worst thing to happen with the Peters situation is him having a sub par season. Pro bowl aside I think we all know he didn't earn that and thr FO knows it too, but that won't stop Peters from wanting big money. If he would have had a truly awesome season I think the FO could justiffy giving him the big contract, but now the FO will use his poor performance to try and keep the money he wants to a smaller number and we all know how that will turn out. I see another long off season for Peters unless the FO just pays the man.

Bill Brasky
01-02-2009, 05:29 PM
I see another long off season for Peters unless the FO just pays the man.

if the Bills don't do something with his contract they'll look extremely bad.

HHURRICANE
01-02-2009, 06:09 PM
I've already said the solution for weeks. Peters to the Bengals for Chad and their 2nd round pick. Chambers/Walker did well enough when Peters was out.

Who's *****ing besides you? If the Bills traded Peters I wouldn't ***** at all. Unless they got nothing in return.

Chambers and Walker anchoring our line. Awesome.

TacklingDummy
01-02-2009, 06:11 PM

They did well enough this year.

CJ,2nd round pick> Peters

I rather weaken one area slightly and improve 2 other areas greatly.

Kenny
01-02-2009, 06:23 PM
They did well enough this year.

CJ,2nd round pick> Peters

I rather weaken one area slightly and improve 2 other areas greatly.

All this does is weaken the line significantly, add in a loud mouth WR who's in his decline, and adds in a 2nd round pick who will most likely turn out to be a bust.

... but great post dummy

Tatonka
01-02-2009, 10:07 PM
When you come up with a better solution let me know.

I don't like giving the government almost half my income in taxes either but I'm not moving to the Soviet Union.i got a better solution. he is under contract for 2 more year. done.

Tatonka
01-02-2009, 10:12 PM
if the Bills don't do something with his contract they'll look extremely bad.

this just in.. the team already looks bad.. we are not high on any free agents destination list.. we suck.. our coaching staff is a joke.. we havent been to the playoffs in over a decade.. we are average or worse at every position.. except maybe running back.

so i dont think them treating jason peters like an average LT since that is how he played is going to make the game look any worse than they already do.

Mr. Pink
01-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Honestly, what difference would it make?

It's not like our offense looked that much better when Jason Peters was in, healthy and in game shape.

Sure he's better than having to trot Kirk Chambers out there to play, obviously, but as much as Bills fans think he's the best LT in the league, he certainly is not.

Make an effort to get him an extension, if he wants upwards of 7.5 + a year, tell him "no way, you're still under contract and the season you just had doesn't warrant that kind of money." If he refuses to play w/o a restructure if it goes that route trade him to the highest bidder.

No one player is above the team, especially when that one player isn't a major contributor to any type of success.

Then, if you do end up having to go down this route....go out and sign a Mark Tauscher or Jon Runyan.

Tatonka
01-02-2009, 10:15 PM

no.. it really isnt awesome at all.. it just isnt any worse than peters and walker.. or peters and chambers.

Tatonka
01-02-2009, 10:17 PM
well said.
Honestly, what difference would it make?

It's not like our offense looked that much better when Jason Peters was in, healthy and in game shape.

Sure he's better than having to trot Kirk Chambers out there to play, obviously, but as much as Bills fans think he's the best LT in the league, he certainly is not.

Make an effort to get him an extension, if he wants upwards of 7.5 + a year, tell him "no way, you're still under contract and the season you just had doesn't warrant that kind of money." If he refuses to play w/o a restructure if it goes that route trade him to the highest bidder.

No one player is above the team, especially when that one player isn't a major contributor to any type of success.

Then, if you do end up having to go down this route....go out and sign a Mark Tauscher or Jon Runyan.