PDA

View Full Version : From what I've read from Chris Brown don't be surprised if...

HHURRICANE
01-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Chris Brown usually is good at giving some clues to what is going on over a OBD. Based on what he has written don't be surprised if:

1) If we try and resign Crowell.

2) That we try to get Matt Birk. It's been brought up 3 times now.

3) We still try and trade for Gonzales.

4) A trade is coming so if it's not for Gonzales than I'm scared it's involving Peters.

5) That we, without a doubt, draft a DE with our first pick.

6) Never here Losman's name again.

7) That if Jauron doesn't make the playoffs that he and the staff will be packing. In no uncertain terms did the FO give the green light to Brown to make the statement public that it's 1 and out.

8) Schobel is staying in the minds of the FO.

Ed
01-02-2009, 12:16 PM
How do you know a trade is coming?

HHURRICANE
01-02-2009, 12:27 PM
How do you know a trade is coming?

He alluded to it in one his blogs.

HHURRICANE
01-02-2009, 12:28 PM
So I'm clear on #8. There is no chance that Schobel gets cut if he's miraculously healthy for next year.

I just posted another thread where I beleieve he will not be playing next year due to his injury.

RockStar36
01-02-2009, 12:37 PM
No kidding this is Jauron's last year. He'll be lucky to win 4 games next season which will give the FO better reason to can him. They screwed themselves over with an early extension this year and now are paying the price (or avoiding paying the price by keeping him).

TigerJ
01-02-2009, 12:42 PM
While the Bills brass may like Gonzalez, I don't think it's going to happen. The Chiefs seem to be listening to Gonzalez with respect to a trade, and Gonzalez is on record he doesn't want to come to Buffalo. I'll also be at least mildly surprised if the Bills re-up Crowell. I do think they will be at least mildly active in free agency and may swing a trade. I agree that Jauron has a year to at least show signimficant improvement in the win loss ratio, though I don't think it's a given they have to make the playoffs. 10-6 might save Jauron's hide regardless of whether they make the playoffs. Losman is history in any and every case. I think DE is the most likely daft choice in the first round, but I don't think the team locks on to a position that way. They are fools if they do.

patmoran2006
01-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Isnt Matt Birk old?
WHen is the last time we've signed ANY FA that is over 30?
I highly doubt it.

HHURRICANE
01-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Isnt Matt Birk old?
I highly doubt it.

2 year deal probably.

I think that's what they were saying about Pat Williams.

patmoran2006
01-02-2009, 01:18 PM
2 year deal probably.

I think that's what they were saying about Pat Williams.
not sayign I dont WANT Birk.

Im saying its been the Bills policy over the past few years to not sign anyone over 30-- designed or not.

I honestly cant remember the last FA on teh wrong side of 30 we've signed at any position.

**Update** I just looked him up. 33 years old? I highly doubt it.

patmoran2006
01-02-2009, 01:33 PM
BTW,
I'm not saying that I DONT want Birk, I'm just saying its been our way to not sign older FA's over the last few years.

I think that signing a guy like Birk while developing an early round center for 1-2 years would be a fantastic move. Keep Preston (at a very reasonable FA rate) as a backup to both guard positions, and keep Chambers as a backup to the starting Tackles.

I just dont think we'll sign a guy like Birk.

patmoran2006
01-02-2009, 01:39 PM
To respond to all your points specifically..
Chris Brown usually is good at giving some clues to what is going on over a OBD. Based on what he has written don't be surprised if:

I think so too, and I hope so. Crowell is the kind of guy I really would like to have right now. For starters, I think he's very talented and capable of making plays. If he was healthy this year with STroud in front of him and playign with Mitchell I think he has a big year.. For another, his market price went WAY down, so odds are he'd get a short term deal, and come in with a lot to prove.

Already commented. I doubt it.

Never going to happen.. Our shot was THIS year. AT this point, after Gonzo shut up and played AMAZING football the last half of the year (utterly amazing) I think the Chiefs with a FULL offseason to trade him will give him the courtesy of trying to work a deal for a team he wants to play for, and there is NO WAY he will want to come play in Buffalo.

4) A trade is coming so if it's not for Gonzales than I'm scared it's involving Peters.
Doubtful (Peters) but possible. If we offer him a raise he doesnt think is near his worth, a trade is likely the only resolution. I dont see us just letting another holdout distraction drag the team down.

I dont trust Modrak and this FO to make these kind of decisions. They've never valued linemen on either side of the ball nearly enough early in drafts, so I would not doubt they wouldnt take a CB, S, WR or anything for that matter at #11. Plus, I dont know **** about DE's coming out yet this year, but what if the top 2-3 are already gone at #11?

You'll hear it plenty, but he'll never be in a Bills uniform again.

7) That if Jauron doesn't make the playoffs that he and the staff will be packing. In no uncertain terms did the FO give the green light to Brown to make the statement public that it's 1 and out.
I would like to think that, but I dont trust the old man either.

he's an important part of this defense up front.

HHURRICANE
01-02-2009, 01:50 PM
BTW,
I'm not saying that I DONT want Birk, I'm just saying its been our way to not sign older FA's over the last few years.

I think that signing a guy like Birk while developing an early round center for 1-2 years would be a fantastic move. Keep Preston (at a very reasonable FA rate) as a backup to both guard positions, and keep Chambers as a backup to the starting Tackles.

I just dont think we'll sign a guy like Birk.

Chris Brown bascially posted exactly what you just said. He said it 3 times now on his blogs and that's why I think there is some chance of this happening.

HHURRICANE
01-02-2009, 01:52 PM
I formulated this thread specifically based on what Chris Brown has been saying. This is not my opinion but what he's been alluding to.

Forward_Lateral
01-02-2009, 01:57 PM
1) If we try and resign Crowell.---I agree, but another team will probably out-bid Buffalo.

2) That we try to get Matt Birk. It's been brought up 3 times now.--Yeah, Right.

3) We still try and trade for Gonzales.--Gonzales didn't want to come to Buffalo when they were 5-1, why the F would he want to come here now?

4) A trade is coming so if it's not for Gonzales than I'm scared it's involving Peters.--- A trade is inevitable, really. I doubt it happens before the draft, however.

5) That we, without a doubt, draft a DE with our first pick.--- Doubt it.

6) Never here Losman's name again.--Thanks, Captain Obvious.

7) That if Jauron doesn't make the playoffs that he and the staff will be packing. In no uncertain terms did the FO give the green light to Brown to make the statement public that it's 1 and out.-- Again, thanks, Captain Obvious.

8) Schobel is staying in the minds of the FO--WTF does this even mean? Do they dream about Schobel when they go to sleep?

HHURRICANE
01-02-2009, 02:00 PM
1) If we try and resign Crowell.---I agree, but another team will probably out-bid Buffalo.

2) That we try to get Matt Birk. It's been brought up 3 times now.--Yeah, Right.

3) We still try and trade for Gonzales.--Gonzales didn't want to come to Buffalo when they were 5-1, why the F would he want to come here now?

4) A trade is coming so if it's not for Gonzales than I'm scared it's involving Peters.--- A trade is inevitable, really. I doubt it happens before the draft, however.

5) That we, without a doubt, draft a DE with our first pick.--- Doubt it.

6) Never here Losman's name again.--Thanks, Captain Obvious.

7) That if Jauron doesn't make the playoffs that he and the staff will be packing. In no uncertain terms did the FO give the green light to Brown to make the statement public that it's 1 and out.-- Again, thanks, Captain Obvious.

8) Schobel is staying in the minds of the FO--WTF does this even mean? Do they dream about Schobel when they go to sleep?

Please read the post above this one and than go to the Bills site and look up his blogs including gameday.

Don't be stupid when I'm trying to be the messenger.

Forward_Lateral
01-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Messenger of what, false rumors? Gimme a break.

HHURRICANE
01-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Messenger of what, false rumors? Gimme a break.

Not that I need to feed your stupidity:

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/

CB: It certainly was a disappointing year. As for offseason moves I wouldn’t mind them trying again to trade for Tony Gonzalez, but they’ll have to wait until a new GM is in place in Kansas City. I’d also draft a pass catching tight end. But first and foremost they need to draft a pass rushing DE at 11. Center is a need I feel they have to address in free agency. I’d sign Matt Birk to a two-year deal to get more consistency on the interior and then draft another guard/center type to groom behind him. If Angelo Crowell can prove he’s healthy I’d also re-sign him.

He posted Birk in several gameday blogs.

Forward_Lateral
01-02-2009, 02:35 PM
So, Chris Brown is the new GM of the Bills? When did that happen?

Mahdi
01-02-2009, 04:13 PM

I hope we do re-sign Crowell because he wouldn't be too expensive and if he resumes playing at the same level as before the injury he would be the best OLB available in FA.

DE has to be our first pick. Orakpo, Brown, Johnson, Hardy. One will be available and they are all solid players. The fact is you never know which one will be the best. It could be the 4th one taken. I have a feeling Brown will end up the better pro.

TigerJ
01-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Regarding Matt Birk, he will be 33 at the start of the 2009 season. I think centers enjoy pretty good longevity in the league. The problem with trying to sign Birk to a short term, one or two year deal is that Buffalo has to compete in a marketplace here. Birk must know that as he approaches his mid 30s his marketablility is going to go into serious decline. If he has ambitions of playing 4 or 5 more years, he may not sign a 2 year deal. He'll look for a team that's willing to give him the whole 5 years, knowing that in 2 years most teams aren't going to offer squat for a center in his mid 30s. The problem with any proposed moves is that they are only viable if the other party likes the deal.

yordad
01-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Isnt Matt Birk old?
I highly doubt it.Lawyer Milloy?

yordad
01-02-2009, 05:19 PM
This is not my opinion but what he's been alluding to.It is ones opinion as to how valid Chris Browns blog is. How the words are interpreted in the blog are also based on opinion. That said, thats for sharing your opinion/interpretation/link. Time will tell.

X-Era
01-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Isnt Matt Birk old?
I highly doubt it.

Hes decent, but Jason Brown (Ravens) is a younger, and IMO better guy for this squad. Hes a multiple year starter (although in 07 he started at LG), but he started this whole year at C.

Id prefer youth... just not undrafteds, late rounders, or other teams backups.

X-Era
01-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Heres Chris's blurb from his blog:

"A strong draft, the right two or three free agents and maybe a good trade and things could look a lot better. We’ll see."

Pretty much is exactly what most of us think they will do.

Except for the trade... I have to think hes still talking about Tony Gonzales, but I dont know that. Boldin would be nice.