PDA

View Full Version : My Updated Draft + Offseason

PECKERWOOD
01-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Free Agency:

• C, Jason Brown, UFA Baltimore ( Has only missed 4 games over the last 3 seasons and he is just about to enter his prime at 25. )

• DE, Terrell Suggs, UFA Baltimore ( 68tckl, 8.0sck, 2FF, 2INT in '08)

• WR, Brandon Jones, UFA Titans ( 41 rec, 449 yds, 1 TD in '08)

Trade Aaron Schobel to Atlanta for a 2nd round pick.

Let Duke Preston Walk.

Re-sign Angelo Crowell.
Re-sign Keith Ellison.
Re-sign Freddy Jackson.

Draft:

Round 1: FS, Taylor Mays, USC (Anytime a FS comes along with Adrian Wilson and Sean Taylor type of talent, you HAVE to take him. Finally Whitner has a teammate that he can trust and play alongside with. )
Round 2: DE, Matt Shaugnessy, Wisconsin (Would provide a much needed rotational pass rusher to our DL. He has the frame to get bigger, fills a need and BPA.)
Round 2: G, Herman Johnson, LSU (Replaces Butler at RG, complete steal here in the 2nd round.)
Round 3: TE, Chase Coffman, Missouri (We would have 3 very solid TE's in our stables with Coffman, Fine and Royal. )
Round 4: C, A.Q. Shipley, PSU (Replaces Duke "Everytime I snap the ball I shove it into my ass" Preston. )
Round 5: QB, Chase Daniel, Missouri (Add 3 inches vertically to Daniel and he becomes a 1st day pick. )
Round 6: DT, John Faletoese, Cal Davis (Nice Cover 2 DT who has shown that he can penetrate the backfield and make plays behind the los. Between '05 and '07 Faletoese has made 24 TFL and 8 sacks.)
Round 7: FB, Jorvorskie Lane, Texas A&M (Converted from RB to FB. Scored 5 TD's in '08 and 49 TD's in his 4 years at Texas A&M. At 6'0 270lbs, The "Lane Train" is definately worthy of bringing in for a look.)

X-Era
01-03-2009, 03:11 PM
Free Agency:

• C, Jason Brown, UFA Baltimore ( Has only missed 4 games over the last 3 seasons and he is just about to enter his prime at 25. )

Let Duke Preston Walk.

Re-sign Angelo Crowell.
Re-sign Keith Ellison.
Re-sign Freddy Jackson.

Draft:

Round 1: FS, Taylor Mays, USC (Anytime a FS comes along with Adrian Wilson and Sean Taylor type of talent, you HAVE to take him. Finally Whitner has a teammate that he can trust and play alongside with. )
Round 2: DE, Matt Shaugnessy, Wisconsin (Would provide a much needed rotational pass rusher to our DL. He has the frame to get bigger, fills a need and BPA.)
Round 2: G, Herman Johnson, LSU (Replaces Butler at RG, complete steal here in the 2nd round.)
Round 3: TE, Chase Coffman, Missouri (We would have 3 very solid TE's in our stables with Coffman, Fine and Royal. )
Round 4: C, A.Q. Shipley, PSU (Replaces Duke "Everytime I snap the ball I shove it into my ass" Preston. )
Round 5: QB, Chase Daniel, Missouri (Add 3 inches vertically to Daniel and he becomes a 1st day pick. )
Round 6: DT, John Faletoese, Cal Davis (Nice Cover 2 DT who has shown that he can penetrate the backfield and make plays behind the los. Between '05 and '07 Faletoese has made 24 TFL and 8 sacks.)
Round 7: FB, Jorvorskie Lane, Texas A&M (Converted from RB to FB. Scored 5 TD's in '08 and 49 TD's in his 4 years at Texas A&M. At 6'0 270lbs, The "Lane Train" is definately worthy of bringing in for a look.)

Love most of the offseason and draft.

Id prefer a WR in the draft, and Im not a big fan of Matt from Wisconsin... Outside of that I love it.

Brown may not make it to free agency.

Suggs is exactly the type of young, stud player that we should covet at ALL cost.

However, you and I both know that its unlikely to happen.

The draft though is reasonable.

BTW, if ANY team traded a 2nd for Schobel... I would personally be willing to drive him to his new team!!!!!

PECKERWOOD
01-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Love most of the offseason and draft.

Id prefer a WR in the draft, and Im not a big fan of Matt from Wisconsin... Outside of that I love it.

Brown may not make it to free agency.

Suggs is exactly the type of young, stud player that we should covet at ALL cost.

However, you and I both know that its unlikely to happen.

The draft though is reasonable.

BTW, if ANY team traded a 2nd for Schobel... I would personally be willing to drive him to his new team!!!!!

The reason why I thought Atlanta made sense for Schobel is because: 1.) they are going to be drafting late in the 2nd round and 2.) John Abraham is really their only premier pass rusher.

and thanks for the comments! :up:

PECKERWOOD
01-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Oh, just another thought on Atlanta making the most sense - 3.) They're pretty young and have a TON of cap space to bring him in. Schobel + Abraham could be a pretty deadly pass rush combo.

elltrain22
01-03-2009, 05:15 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

DraftBoy
01-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Free Agency:

Let Duke Preston Walk.

Re-sign Angelo Crowell.
Re-sign Keith Ellison.
Re-sign Freddy Jackson.

Draft:

Love the signing of Brown and Jones. I think Jones could really breakout in a starting role but Id still like to see a bigger target WR added to the mix. I dont think Suggs is a realistic target for us. He comes from a different system. For 8 years now he's been a stand up OLB/End (he did it at Arizona State), so what has he shown us to say he could be a 4-3 End or a good 4-3 OLB? The guy is best suited for a 3-4 system, I just don't see him playing in a 4-3.

As for draft, I dont like Mays that high. He plays on an All-Star cast on D and doesnt completely shine. I feel like he's an overrated prospect at this point without any production. What has he done since his Freshman year to prove anything? Here are his numbers;
118 tackles, 2.5 TFL, 1 INT, 1 FF, 15 PD

That doesnt blow me away, let me remind you that both Reed and Taylor were turnover creators in college. Mays had 3 picks his freshman year to excite people and he gives off big hits but so does Roy Williams but he doesnt do anything else. I think Mays has the tools to develop into a good FS but right now he's just not ready. His highlight reel hits don't impress me that much.

I dont like Shaugnessy at all, he is slower version of what we have in Schobel except he's less of a pass rusher.

I dont think the Schobel trade is close to realistic, especially living in Atlanta, they have little need for Aaron down here. And there is no way they'd waste a 2nd on him. So Im not going to comment on the Herman Johnson pick, because we won't have that option.

Coffman in the 3rd? Sign me up!

Shipley in Round 4 works for me as well, get a great running block OC who can make the calls at the line. Love it!

Daniel is a bad pick at this point and his bowl game showed why. He is inconsisntent, inaccurate, and relies on big plays. Daniel isnt even draftable at this point to me. He needs to have some great all-star and workouts to get back on my board.

Faletoese is a good pickup this late, he'll need some serious time in the weight room though, and lots of reps on the practice field, but potential wise he's a good pick.

Im not really big on Lane but he's not a great blocking FB and I think we need one. I can think of three of four other FB's Id go before Lane. Also no pickup of an OLB?

PECKERWOOD
01-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Love the signing of Brown and Jones. I think Jones could really breakout in a starting role but Id still like to see a bigger target WR added to the mix. I dont think Suggs is a realistic target for us. He comes from a different system. For 8 years now he's been a stand up OLB/End (he did it at Arizona State), so what has he shown us to say he could be a 4-3 End or a good 4-3 OLB? The guy is best suited for a 3-4 system, I just don't see him playing in a 4-3.

As for draft, I dont like Mays that high. He plays on an All-Star cast on D and doesnt completely shine. I feel like he's an overrated prospect at this point without any production. What has he done since his Freshman year to prove anything? Here are his numbers;
118 tackles, 2.5 TFL, 1 INT, 1 FF, 15 PD

That doesnt blow me away, let me remind you that both Reed and Taylor were turnover creators in college. Mays had 3 picks his freshman year to excite people and he gives off big hits but so does Roy Williams but he doesnt do anything else. I think Mays has the tools to develop into a good FS but right now he's just not ready. His highlight reel hits don't impress me that much.

I dont like Shaugnessy at all, he is slower version of what we have in Schobel except he's less of a pass rusher.

I dont think the Schobel trade is close to realistic, especially living in Atlanta, they have little need for Aaron down here. And there is no way they'd waste a 2nd on him. So Im not going to comment on the Herman Johnson pick, because we won't have that option.

Coffman in the 3rd? Sign me up!

Shipley in Round 4 works for me as well, get a great running block OC who can make the calls at the line. Love it!

Daniel is a bad pick at this point and his bowl game showed why. He is inconsisntent, inaccurate, and relies on big plays. Daniel isnt even draftable at this point to me. He needs to have some great all-star and workouts to get back on my board.

Faletoese is a good pickup this late, he'll need some serious time in the weight room though, and lots of reps on the practice field, but potential wise he's a good pick.

Im not really big on Lane but he's not a great blocking FB and I think we need one. I can think of three of four other FB's Id go before Lane. Also no pickup of an OLB?

Thanks for commenting, as for Mays I just think that he would add something to our secondary that we've lacked over the years. Mays is 6'3 230lbs and runs a 4.28, he is just a freak. Measurables aside he hits people very hard! I just think our defense lacks size. It's demoralizing to see guys like Ronnie Brown own everybody in your secondary once he gets into the second level. Mays would match up nice against Moss, Brown, Jones, Coles, Maroney, Morris and Williams. It's just very appealing to entertain the idea of landing Mays in the 1st if we could solidify the DE position in Free Agency. Mays and Whitner could develope into one of the better safety tandems in the NFL, it would be very hard to pass on those 2 guys and finally with Mays we could keep Whitner at SS instead of making him play FS, SS and even CB at times.

Well Suggs maybe somewhat unrealistic, I agree. If we can't land Suggs I would be for drafting a DE and bringing in a stop gap veteran like Bertrand Berry. If Orakpo was available when we pick, I would take him over Mays but I think that Orakpo will be long gone.

Yes, the Schobel trade maybe unrealistic as well but I really want to see him gone. At this point, I would take Cincinnati's 3rd round pick for him, that trade could make alot of sense for both teams. I was reluctant to put Schobel going to Cinci because we all know that they have an owner over there who is a cheap ass but Cinci's 3rd for Schobel would be an even trade, imo. If we did get a 3rd for Schobel, sign me up for Coffman with our 1st 3rd and for Marcus Freeman, OLB, OSU with our 2nd 3rd.

As for not addressing LB, I figured that having Crowell back would be a significant upgrade over last year and Ellison would provide us with solid veteran depth.

DraftBoy
01-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Thanks for commenting, as for Mays I just think that he would add something to our secondary that we've lacked over the years. Mays is 6'3 230lbs and runs a 4.28, he is just a freak. Measurables aside he hits people very hard! I just think our defense lacks size. It's demoralizing to see guys like Ronnie Brown own everybody in your secondary once he gets into the second level. Mays would match up nice against Moss, Brown, Jones, Coles, Maroney, Morris and Williams. It's just very appealing to entertain the idea of landing Mays in the 1st if we could solidify the DE position in Free Agency. Mays and Whitner could develope into one of the better safety tandems in the NFL, it would be very hard to pass on those 2 guys and finally with Mays we could keep Whitner at SS instead of making him play FS, SS and even CB at times.

Well Suggs maybe somewhat unrealistic, I agree. If we can't land Suggs I would be for drafting a DE and bringing in a stop gap veteran like Bertrand Berry. If Orakpo was available when we pick, I would take him over Mays but I think that Orakpo will be long gone.

Yes, the Schobel trade maybe unrealistic as well but I really want to see him gone. At this point, I would take Cincinnati's 3rd round pick for him, that trade could make alot of sense for both teams. I was reluctant to put Schobel going to Cinci because we all know that they have an owner over there who is a cheap ass but Cinci's 3rd for Schobel would be an even trade, imo. If we did get a 3rd for Schobel, sign me up for Coffman with our 1st 3rd and for Marcus Freeman, OLB, OSU with our 2nd 3rd.

As for not addressing LB, I figured that having Crowell back would be a significant upgrade over last year and Ellison would provide us with solid veteran depth.

Ok first off Mays doesnt run a 4.28 40, thats way over blown. He may not even run a 4.4 40. I understand his size is impressive and I completely agree but big hits don't make great players. All they do is make good highlight reels. The facts are this. Mays has great measurables, and great potential, but he has not become the player some are saying he has. He could one day but right now he's not quite there and I think he may struggle early in the NFL, especially if he leaves early.

PECKERWOOD
01-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Ok first off Mays doesnt run a 4.28 40, thats way over blown. He may not even run a 4.4 40. I understand his size is impressive and I completely agree but big hits don't make great players. All they do is make good highlight reels. The facts are this. Mays has great measurables, and great potential, but he has not become the player some are saying he has. He could one day but right now he's not quite there and I think he may struggle early in the NFL, especially if he leaves early.

I've heard he ran between a 4.28 to low 4.30's, 40 yard dash.. If that's true then we will be lucky if Mays even makes it out of the top 10. This is the beauty of the combine my friend.