PDA

View Full Version : Two FA WRs not seen mentioned

The Jokeman
01-03-2009, 07:15 PM
I knowmost are in the belief that we need to sign a free agent WR. I'm going by the list found at http://www.theredzone.org/2009/freeagents/showposition.asp?Position=WR The two names I came up with were RFA Marques Colston, who will likely receive a 1st and 3rd Round tender and the UFA Reggie Williams. I know many will cry Colston isn't worth a 1st and 3rd Round pick but if look at our recent draft history and the Saints' draft history it might be relooking at things as here's a look at what we/they selected this decade in said rounds:

2008: Leodis McKelvin/Chris Ellis vs Sedrick Ellis/NA
2007: Marshawn Lynch/Trent Edwards vs Robert Meachem/Andy Alleman
2006: Donte Whitner/John McCargo/Ashton Youboty vs Reggie Bush/Jhari Evans
2005: NA/Kevin Everett vs Jammal Anderson/Alfred Fincher
2004: Lee Evans/JP Losman/Tim Anderson vs Will Smith/NA
2003: Willis McGahee/Angelo Crowell vs Johnathan Sullivan/Willie Grant
2002: Mike Williams/Coy Wire vs Donte Stallworth/James Allen
2001: Nate Clements/Ron Edwards/Jonas Jennings/ vs Deuce McAllister/Kenny Smith

While Reggie Williams isn't no where near in the class of Colston he does offer size at the position and could be a good #2/#3 guy to bring along for a year or two if Hardy/Johnson still have develop.

Thoughts?

Mitchell55
01-03-2009, 07:24 PM
I knowmost are in the belief that we need to sign a free agent WR. I'm going by the list found at http://www.theredzone.org/2009/freeagents/showposition.asp?Position=WR The two names I came up with were RFA Marques Colston, who will likely receive a 1st and 3rd Round tender and the UFA Reggie Williams. I know many will cry Colston isn't worth a 1st and 3rd Round pick but if look at our recent draft history and the Saints' draft history it might be relooking at things as here's a look at what we/they selected this decade in said rounds:

2008: Leodis McKelvin/Chris Ellis vs Sedrick Ellis/NA
2007: Marshawn Lynch/Trent Edwards vs Robert Meachem/Andy Alleman
2006: Donte Whitner/John McCargo/Ashton Youboty vs Reggie Bush/Jhari Evans
2005: NA/Kevin Everett vs Jammal Anderson/Alfred Fincher
2004: Lee Evans/JP Losman/Tim Anderson vs Will Smith/NA
2003: Willis McGahee/Angelo Crowell vs Johnathan Sullivan/Willie Grant
2002: Mike Williams/Coy Wire vs Donte Stallworth/James Allen
2001: Nate Clements/Ron Edwards/Jonas Jennings/ vs Deuce McAllister/Kenny Smith

While Reggie Williams isn't no where near in the class of Colston he does offer size at the position and could be a good #2/#3 guy to bring along for a year or two if Hardy/Johnson still have develop.

Thoughts?

If we bring in Reggie Williams as a number 2 immdiatley, hes not going to leave in 1-2 years.

PECKERWOOD
01-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Brandon Jones is my favorite WR in FA, Reggie Williams is my 2nd. Would be happy with either of those 2. My philosophy is simple.. Use FA for your wideouts and DL'men. As for the rest of the positions, rookies can usually come in and make an impact in their first year.

Mitchell55
01-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Brandon Jones is my favorite WR in FA, Reggie Williams is my 2nd. Would be happy with either of those 2.

I still like Hank Baskett.

PECKERWOOD
01-03-2009, 07:29 PM

Shoot, Darrell Jackson would even be a nice addition at this point. I don't care about the problems that he's had in the past, if he was brought in to be "just another guy", he would add more production than any other WR on our roster other than Lee.

The Jokeman
01-03-2009, 07:29 PM
He's an RFA if not mistaken and it depends on the tender Philly slaps on him but I worry he'd fall in our group of #3 WRs of Reed and Parrish and not be a significant upgrade. The only thing is I'd really like to is slap his wife :D:

Mitchell55
01-03-2009, 07:37 PM
He's an RFA if not mistaken and it depends on the tender Philly slaps on him but I worry he'd fall in our group of #3 WRs of Reed and Parrish and not be a significant upgrade. The only thing is I'd really like to is slap his wife :D:

He had 3 TDs and 440 yards as a number 4 reciever in philly. Thats number 1 in our team in TDs recieving, and number 3 in yards recieving and hes 6-4 which would be basically josh reed as a redzone threat.

Mitchell55
01-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Shoot, Darrell Jackson would even be a nice addition at this point. I don't care about the problems that he's had in the past, if he was brought in to be "just another guy", he would add more production than any other WR on our roster other than Lee.

I wouldnt take Jackson. Since leaving Seattle he went to SF and now hes already a FA? Also he has injury problems and he is not that fast at all.

The Jokeman
01-03-2009, 07:41 PM
He had 3 TDs and 440 yards as a number 4 reciever in philly. Thats number 1 in our team in TDs recieving, and number 3 in yards recieving and hes 6-4 which would be basically josh reed as a redzone threat.
Yet is Trent Edwards anywhere near as good as McNabb? I say no so his numbers here might read more like 1 TD and 275 yards.

Ickybaluky
01-03-2009, 07:41 PM
The two names I came up with were RFA Marques Colston, who will likely receive a 1st and 3rd Round tender

Colston signed an extension last summer: LINK (http://www.neworleanssaints.com/Articles/2008/7/Colston%20Signs%20Contract%20Extension.aspx)

Reggie Williams doesn't have the speed to get separation. He is a big guy and a tough blocker, but he isn't a starting-caliber WR in the NFL. He did have 10 TD in 2007, but that is looking like a fluke. He wouldn't be much of an upgrade for the Bills, but he would probably be somewhat affordable contract-wise as he won't get big money.

Darrell Jackson was a good WR a few years ago, but his knees are in tough shape and he is a big injury risk.

PECKERWOOD
01-03-2009, 07:48 PM
I wouldnt take Jackson. Since leaving Seattle he went to SF and now hes already a FA? Also he has injury problems and he is not that fast at all.

Oh yah, I know.. I'm just saying he would probably come in and out perform most of WR's other than Lee and maybe Josh Reed.. He is good for 35-40 catches when healthy.

Top 3:

1.) Reggie Williams, JAX
2.) Brandon Jones, TEN
3.) Michael Clayton, TB

My 1st 2 are pretty much interchangeable.. I think that Clayton would mesh well with Lee, Johnson and Reed, especially Reed cause their both Louisiana, Baton Rouge boys. Our WR's would be as cajun as you could get.

Mr. Pink
01-03-2009, 07:50 PM
A guy I haven't seen mentioned yet...

Bobby Engram.

While he's not flashy he makes plays.

Mitchell55
01-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Yet is Trent Edwards anywhere near as good as McNabb? I say no so his numbers here might read more like 1 TD and 275 yards.

You have to remember this was one of mcnabbs worst seasons hes had.

PECKERWOOD
01-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Colston signed an extension last summer: LINK (http://www.neworleanssaints.com/Articles/2008/7/Colston%20Signs%20Contract%20Extension.aspx)

Reggie Williams doesn't have the speed to get separation. He is a big guy and a tough blocker, but he isn't a starting-caliber WR in the NFL. He did have 10 TD in 2007, but that is looking like a fluke. He wouldn't be much of an upgrade for the Bills, but he would probably be somewhat affordable contract-wise as he won't get big money.

Darrell Jackson was a good WR a few years ago, but his knees are in tough shape and he is a big injury risk.

Sure, no disagreement there but he is pretty darn good when healthy. Nice #2-3ish type of wideout.

ParanoidAndroid
01-03-2009, 09:03 PM
I highly doubt any serious consideration will be given to signing a WR.

Mitchell55
01-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Man this is horrible. I just got negged because I spelled immediatly and now im at 1000 again.

DraftBoy
01-04-2009, 04:10 PM
My top WR FA choice would be Malcolm Floyd.

Mitchell55
01-04-2009, 05:27 PM
My top WR FA choice would be Malcolm Floyd.

The sad part about that pickup would be that last year when he was also a FA we were all talking about getting him.

DraftBoy
01-04-2009, 05:38 PM
The sad part about that pickup would be that last year when he was also a FA we were all talking about getting him.

He was ERFA last year, it was impossible for us to get him and nobody was talking about getting him for that reason.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Are you kidding me? Jackson, Williams, Baskett??? I would much rather keep Reed and Parrish that any of this garbage. Jackson is completely washed up, Williams is a bust, and Baskett is nothing special. I mean nobody is even going to sign Jackson, why the hell should we want him?

The guy I would be interested is either Malcom Floyd indeed or Devery Henderson (I'm surprised no one mentioned him), maybe also Antonio Bryant but he would mean much more money and I think that money should be spent elsewhere.

T.J. and Amani are obviously the must attractive options but for that same reason we should not expect our super front office to get them, besides just as I mentioned that money should go elsewhere.

Anyway, I think our WR core is decent and for the third time - that money should be spent elsewhere.

Colston is not a free agent by the way.

jimbohastle51
01-05-2009, 12:27 AM
colston signed an extension with the saints this year for 3 more years and there is no way he leaves new orleans anyways or at least till his prime is long behind him, he is one of the elite recievers in this league.

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/Articles/2008/7/Colston%20Signs%20Contract%20Extension.aspx