PDA

View Full Version : Dear Money Grubber Players,

jamze132
01-04-2009, 02:47 AM
Please refrain from using the line "I gotta do what's best for my family". What you mean to say is that you are going to the highest bidder and you are using your family's name in vein to get what you want. Most of us support our families on a whole lot less and wouldn't dare use our "families" as an excuse to make it seem like you are "doing the right thing". Everyone knows what it means.

Sincerely (**** you),

jamze132

LtFinFan66
01-04-2009, 02:49 AM
:bf1:

BuffaloBillsStampede
01-04-2009, 06:11 AM
Amen brother

Historian
01-04-2009, 06:54 AM
Communist.

Jan Reimers
01-04-2009, 07:35 AM
Yeah, $48 Million is not enough to support your family, but $54 Million is just right. I don't mind players getting the most they can - after all, the greedy owners have really provided the stage for players to extort as much money as they can - but I agree with jamze. They should stop talking as if their children were going to go hungry if they only make $18 Million guaranteed, and $6 Million per year, instead of $25 M Guaranteed, and $7 M per.

And I very seldom hear them discussing the disruption to their families of moving, putting the kids in new schools, the benefits of the new city vs. the old, and other life style issues that don't involve money.

clumping platelets
01-04-2009, 07:41 AM
:bf1:

Typ0
01-04-2009, 07:52 AM
why does the statement mean they are worried about their families basic needs? It doesn't mean anything of the sort. Most of these guys come from poverty and are looking to build long term weath for their entire familes. It's sad that this is looked on as a bad thing and people chastise the players when the alternative is that money just going into the owners pockets and they aren't the guys that take the risks and actually entertain us.

Jan Reimers
01-04-2009, 08:42 AM
Unfortunately, many of these guys don't build future wealth, but buy expensive jewelry and exotic cars, and spend their money clubbing and living "look at me lifestyles" that have nothing to do with family.

I realize that many live responsibly, but there are plenty of Plaxico Burress types that poison the waters for the good guys.

Thurmal
01-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Because none of you guys would leave your companies for ones that paid significantly more for the same work, right?

Mahdi
01-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Please refrain from using the line "I gotta do what's best for my family". What you mean to say is that you are going to the highest bidder and you are using your family's name in vein to get what you want. Most of us support our families on a whole lot less and wouldn't dare use our "families" as an excuse to make it seem like you are "doing the right thing". Everyone knows what it means.

Sincerely (**** you),

jamze132
Never mind the average NFL career being 4 years, even if a player plays into his 30s watever money he made during that period is what he will live off of for the next 40-50 years of his life, not to mention the physical issues NFL players deal with after retirement. So yes they are doing what is best for their families and that is securing them for life as much as possible.

jamze132
01-05-2009, 02:48 AM
Never mind the average NFL career being 4 years, even if a player plays into his 30s watever money he made during that period is what he will live off of for the next 40-50 years of his life, not to mention the physical issues NFL players deal with after retirement. So yes they are doing what is best for their families and that is securing them for life as much as possible.
And nevermind the fact that almost every player in the NFL was given a free college education either. How many "regular" people are given that most valuable gift?

If their careers are cut short for whatever reason, they should have a nice little degree to fall back on.

I am not against making the most money possible but don't use your family as an excuse to leave one organization for another. If you want to leave your current team for the next highest bidder, do so, but be a man and tell everyone "Show me the money".

Michael82
01-05-2009, 02:58 AM
Great post! :bf1:

Jan Reimers
01-05-2009, 11:42 AM
I don't think we should assume that a player can never work again after a relatively short career in the NFL. How many of us get to retire in our 20s or early 30s and never lift a finger again?

In fact, this is one of the players' arguments that irritates me the most.

Mr. Miyagi
01-05-2009, 11:50 AM

Sincerely (**** you),

jamze132
Clearly you don't understand.

Hookers and strippers aren't cheap these days.

ddaryl
01-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Clearly you don't understand.

Hookers and strippers aren't cheap these days.

Deflation is coming....

billsfanone
01-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Because none of you guys would leave your companies for ones that paid significantly more for the same work, right?

Agreed, but that doesn't help with the cliche jamze is referring to.

Mr. Miyagi
01-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Agreed, but that doesn't help with the cliche jamze is referring to. I don't know why it's so frowned upon to just tell the truth.

I want to get paid more because I'm greedy and I love money. I can never have enough. I want more money.

What's wrong with that?

billsfanone
01-05-2009, 11:59 AM
I don't know why it's so frowned upon to just tell the truth.

I want to get paid more because I'm greedy and I love money. I can never have enough. I want more money.

What's wrong with that?

Nothing. But to say "I have to do what's best for my family" is silly.

Mr. Miyagi
01-05-2009, 12:04 PM
I agree it's stupid. Why lie about it? Say I love money and I want more. We won't hold that against you.

HHURRICANE
01-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Please refrain from using the line "I gotta do what's best for my family".

I think this is unfair. Alot of these players have more than one family.

ddaryl
01-05-2009, 12:49 PM
It's sad that this is looked on as a bad thing and people chastise the players when the alternative is that money just going into the owners pockets and they aren't the guys that take the risks and actually entertain us.

I think you misread.. Our alternative is returing the money back to the fan/the consumer.

greed from both parties will kill this sport, and it will be forced to return more sobering numbers... The blues will start up this year from many more franchises, and I would be lying if I didn't mention how much I am looking forward to harder time$ for pro $port$

Typ0
01-05-2009, 01:02 PM
I think you misread.. Our alternative is returing the money back to the fan/the consumer.

greed from both parties will kill this sport, and it will be forced to return more sobering numbers... The blues will start up this year from many more franchises, and I would be lying if I didn't mention how much I am looking forward to harder time$ for pro $port$

the marketplace determines pricing though...

evol4276
01-05-2009, 01:03 PM
?? i highly agree but whered this rant come from lol

jamze132
01-06-2009, 06:31 AM
?? i highly agree but whered this rant come from lol
I have heard NFL players the past couple of years using the excuse and it's getting old. It's their "nice way" of saying that they want off their current team and want to "get paid", which is there right and I have no problems with it at all. What I have a problem with is their use of the term "I gotta do what's best for my family" so liberaly. It's using them as an excuse to get what they want without sounding like a creep.

Typ0
01-06-2009, 07:12 AM
I don't think you folks have any insight into the player culture at all. In all of these cases these guys come from very poor backrounds. Their families have been there supporting their efforts to become professional athletes their whole lives and they have lived that dream a long time. They have worked hard and their families have made sacrifices. When the payday comes often some family members are working full-time to help manage the players career and marketing. When they make this comment about their families they are just the same talking about the business they are and they are saying they need to do what's best for business. Give them a break--it's not their fault they are gifted and in almost all cases everyone in these peoples family has worked hard to help them get where they are.

don137
01-06-2009, 07:18 AM
Yeah, $48 Million is not enough to support your family, but $54 Million is just right. I don't mind players getting the most they can - after all, the greedy owners have really provided the stage for players to extort as much money as they can - but I agree with jamze. They should stop talking as if their children were going to go hungry if they only make $18 Million guaranteed, and $6 Million per year, instead of $25 M Guaranteed, and $7 M per.

And I very seldom hear them discussing the disruption to their families of moving, putting the kids in new schools, the benefits of the new city vs. the old, and other life style issues that don't involve money.

I agree. Personally moving all the time is not 'the best for your family either." Kids need stability and its tough on them moving all the time so taking the extra cash when you already have more than you ever need if you are smart with your money is not always the best interest of the family. One of the Panthers players lives in our neighborhood and my son plays neighborhood football games with him and he comments stuff like how he has no idea if he will be living here next year or not since they have already moved multiple times.

Typ0
01-06-2009, 10:05 AM
I agree. Personally moving all the time is not 'the best for your family either." Kids need stability and its tough on them moving all the time so taking the extra cash when you already have more than you ever need if you are smart with your money is not always the best interest of the family. One of the Panthers players lives in our neighborhood and my son plays neighborhood football games with him and he comments stuff like how he has no idea if he will be living here next year or not since they have already moved multiple times.

and that is my point too...you read it like they are talking about their wife and kids while they are really talking about their parents, siblings, grandparents, aunts and uncles...the people who were there for them and made the sacrifices it took to get them to the level they are at. It's not just about the family members that weren't even there when they were kids it's about their extended families too. Like I said, when they say family they are talking about what's best for the business they have become!