PDA

View Full Version : Reich mastered the comeback

shelby
01-04-2009, 07:51 AM
The Buffalo Bills' No. 2 quarterback had just seen an interception returned 58 yards for a touchdown that put his team 32 points down in the third quarter when No. 3 quarterback Gale Gilbert trotted over and patted him on the back.
"He told me what I needed to hear," Frank Reich (http://www.washingtontimes.com/themes/?Theme=Frank+Reich) recalled after the game. "He said, 'Hey, you did it in college, so there's no reason why you can't do it here.'"
Gilbert had a good memory. In 1984, Reich replaced Maryland starter Stan Gelbaugh in the third quarter with the Terrapins trailing Miami 31-0 and ignited a furious rally that produced an implausible 42-40 victory at the Orange Bowl.
And now, unbelievably, he did it again.
On Jan. 3, 1993, career backup Reich, playing only because All-Pro Jim Kelly was out with a knee injury, threw four touchdown passes in the second half as the Bills erased that 35-3 deficit and stormed to a 41-38 victory in an AFC wild card playoff game before a mostly ecstatic throng of 75,141 at Buffalo's Rich Stadium.
What are the odds of the same quarterback engineering what then were the biggest rallies in both college and pro football history? When the word "comeback" appears in dictionaries, Reich's picture should be alongside.
He threw a touchdown pass to Don Beebe and three more to Andre Reed, and the Bills switched from a 4-3 defense to a 3-4 to better contain Houston's Warren Moon, who completed 19 of 22 passes for 220 yards and four touchdowns in the first half. Slowly and surely, the Bills rallied to take a 38-35 lead before a field goal by Houston's Al Del Greco sent the game into overtime.

more... (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jan/04/reich-mastered-the-comeback/)

Historian
01-04-2009, 08:21 AM
Ah the good old days....

Jan Reimers
01-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Kelly/Reich. Edwards/Losman. How the mighty have fallen.

lukabrossi
01-05-2009, 06:35 AM
What the **** happened to this team?

Dujek
01-05-2009, 08:19 AM

They forced Polian out

Pinkerton Security
01-05-2009, 08:25 AM
uhh we dont have Kelly or Reich. Thats what.

Or Smith. Or Talley. Or (enter great former Bill here).

Jan Reimers
01-05-2009, 08:37 AM
But we'll always have Ralph. I think he made a deal with the Devil (or at least the Smokong Man on the X-Files) for immortality, in return for never making the playoffs again.

trapezeus
01-05-2009, 08:44 AM
They forced Polian out

And then when they still had a servicable GM/Scout team in Butler and AJ Smith, Ralph made the same bonehead emotional mistake again.

Ralph is like the most insecure guy in the world. You challenge him on something you know more of, and he acts as though the NFL is going to award ownership to the GM. And then he goes through like a Mob king ordering paranoid based hits on his biggest and brightest because he doesn't want to look like he doesn't know what he's doing.

Even at 90 yrs old, the guy can't help but be a douche.

Historian
01-05-2009, 08:52 AM
5 star thread!

lukabrossi
01-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Yeah, thanks for the insight......when i said "what the **** happened to this team?".......it was sarcasm.
I've watched this team ride high and i've seen them as lowwwwwwwwwwwww as they could possibly go.....and unfrotunately, i've followed along year after year after year.
Maybe i'm a loser too.

Jan Reimers
01-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Yeah, thanks for the insight......when i said "what the **** happened to this team?".......it was sarcasm.
I've watched this team ride high and i've seen them as lowwwwwwwwwwwww as they could possibly go.....and unfrotunately, i've followed along year after year after year.
Maybe i'm a loser too.
No, you're a winner. Being a Bills' fan is one of the great character builders and molder of men. That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

(Although I feel half dead after this past season.)