PDA

View Full Version : Payton's Last TD at the Chargers last night

ghz in pittsburgh
01-04-2009, 09:12 AM
I can only think of one other QB in NFL makes it happen - Brett Favre.

Not even the great Tom Brady has that kind of awareness to line up the people while the defense is changing and make it happen.

If Edwards was watching, I hope he took notice. It'll be his 3rd year in 2009. I want to see the kind of complete all around awareness about a QB, not just one depended on the sideline 100% and mechanically execute called plays.

patmoran2006
01-04-2009, 09:18 AM
I felt bad for Peyton in a way, though that wont go over well here. I wanted to see him have a chance to win it.

I cant imagine how deadly he'd be if they had any kind of running game. He's one of those few players I will never get bored of watching him play.

helmetguy
01-04-2009, 09:25 AM
That empty backfield call on 3rd and 2 was so Schonert-esque as to defy reason. Oh, wait! We were talking about Manning and the Colts. Maybe it's just not us, eh?

Jan Reimers
01-04-2009, 09:31 AM
TE needs more receiving talent, better pass blocking, and improved offensive schemes to even approach what Peyton can do. And then, he still may never be Peyton.

patmoran2006
01-04-2009, 09:34 AM
TE needs more receiving talent, better pass blocking, and improved offensive schemes to even approach what Peyton can do. And then, he still may never be Peyton.
Although its absurd to ever say Trent can be another Peyton Manning, he is the QB that I look too and say that Trent has the potential to become a QB in this type of mold.

A cerebral assassin (HHH!) so to speak. Someone who has an underated arm (as trent does) and quick decision making.

Sorry, I know its absurd at this point, but a poor man's Peyton is what I envision Trent becoming.

Tatonka
01-04-2009, 09:36 AM
That empty backfield call on 3rd and 2 was so Schonert-esque as to defy reason. Oh, wait! We were talking about Manning and the Colts. Maybe it's just not us, eh?
he should have thrown that ball immediately though. it was there. that one was on peyton.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-04-2009, 09:50 AM
Although its absurd to ever say Trent can be another Peyton Manning, he is the QB that I look too and say that Trent has the potential to become a QB in this type of mold.

A cerebral assassin (HHH!) so to speak. Someone who has an underated arm (as trent does) and quick decision making.

Sorry, I know its absurd at this point, but a poor man's Peyton is what I envision Trent becoming.

Actually I see Edwards more in the Brady's mold, not Payton's. That is quick decision and awareness of what's going on while in the pocket - though Edwards is nowhere approaching Brady's level but the signs are there.

Payton's pre-snap read is un-matched as I can see in the entire NFL history. He likes to get people lineup way before he actually snaps the ball to read what defense will do (through various things he does). When he does, it's such a huge advantage just like what Belichick got with those illegal taping. When the defense is very well coached and hides things well ( no obvious tendencies to bank on), like the Bilichick's Pats, he's simply ordinary.

Edwards faced several clear path safty blitzes this past season, one caused his concussion. This kind of things almost never happen to Payton because his ability to diagnose what's coming. If Edwards can pick up just a little here, he's onto another level.

Jan Reimers
01-04-2009, 10:52 AM

I just think he needs better talent around him and more creative playcalling, or he will continue to be the poor man's Jon Kitna.

HHURRICANE
01-04-2009, 10:58 AM
I would like everyone to imagine Edwards playing on the Chargers yesterday. No way that Rivers is a better QB and they beat the colts.

Antonio Gates, good play calling, and a solid run game with great run blocking.

Did you see the handcuffs they put on Rivers towards the end of that game? How many throw aways did he have?

Ingtar33
01-04-2009, 02:22 PM
the more i see Edwards the more he reminds me of Phil Simms.

a good (not great) accurate and smart passer

TedMock
01-04-2009, 04:27 PM
the more i see Edwards the more he reminds me of Phil Simms.

a good (not great) accurate and smart passer

Absolutely agree.