PDA

View Full Version : It Took me only one day of playoff watching to realize

patmoran2006
01-04-2009, 09:16 AM
The Bills have multiple "holes" but priority #1 HAS to become the Defensive line.

The Chargers ended the Colts season because Indy could NOT run on them. Conversely, INdy stayed in the game because they had a pair of DE's (Freeney and Mathis) that were just pounding Rivers all night.

And in the Arizona game, Ryan had pretty good numbers but the bottom line is that pass rush, led by FA Bertrand Berry harrassed him all day long.

We have the worst 4-man pass rush I've ever seen, and we also don't stop the run unless we bring extra guys (Scott, Whitner, Whomever) into the box.

Chris Kelsay has GOT to go (or get benched) and Denney is good but not "starter" good. If Schobel comes back we need a dominating DE next to him,and if Schobel isn't good we need two of them.

Kyle Williams is a borderline starter but a VERY solid rotational guy. I'd like to see a better starter there as well.

At any rate, before anything else in FA and draft, I really hope we're smart enough to put our money into our DL. Let me take that back, we already put big money into our DL (SChobel, Kelsay overpaid as hell) and Williams got an extension..I hope that we reinvest in our DL, but this time with better players.

It's amazing watching playoff football and the difference between DL's.

Dozerdog
01-04-2009, 09:17 AM
Does this mean you will stop asking the Bills to draft TE's in the first round this year?

patmoran2006
01-04-2009, 09:20 AM
Does this mean you will stop asking the Bills to draft TE's in the first round this year?LOL I only did that once with Vernon Davis.

Id like to see this addressed before the draft, as well as during.

Jan Reimers
01-04-2009, 09:27 AM
I agree, pat. I think we need 2 DEs and a DT between the draft and FA.

Mad Max
01-04-2009, 11:08 AM
DE? bah...what we really need is another first round DB. Can never have enough of those, can we?

I have no doubt that this poorganization won't disappoint me.

HHURRICANE
01-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Can I pull all my threads from LAST year when I got criticized for saying that DE was our #1 priority!!

ddaryl
01-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Can I pull all my threads from LAST year when I got criticized for saying that DE was our #1 priority!!

We did addressed DE many times, but we obviously got stuck in a high motor white boy rut.

However we had even more holes last year. WR was needed, and the best DE's were off the board quickly in round #1. Then we scored Stroud etc.. in the offseason and most everyone agreed it would improve our DE situation by default... therefore DE got put aside.

This year there is no bigger need on the team IMHO. In fact bringing in 2 DE's; a FA and a high draft pick is probably necessary.

HHURRICANE
01-04-2009, 12:28 PM
We did addressed DE many times, but we obviously got stuck in a high motor white boy rut.

However we had even more holes last year. WR was needed, and the best DE's were off the board quickly in round #1. Then we scored Stroud etc.. in the offseason and most everyone agreed it would improve our DE situation by default... therefore DE got put aside.

This year there is no bigger need on the team IMHO. In fact bringing in 2 DE's; a FA and a high draft pick is probably necessary.

The problem is that we are so screwed at DE now that we can't wait and develo a rookie. We need a starter now!!

I'm really hoping that Schobel has to retire. I hate rooting for an injury but I really believe that he's only playing for a paycheck. I think he was one or gutless wonders.

OpIv37
01-04-2009, 12:35 PM
When the Bills aren't in the playoffs (ie, every year), I can barely watch football anymore. First, it depresses me to think how much fun it would be if we could be rooting for OUR team in one of those games. Second, the gap between this Bills team and any playoff team becomes immediately apparent.

bflobarry
01-04-2009, 12:45 PM
The Bills have multiple "holes" but priority #1 HAS to become the Defensive line.

The Chargers ended the Colts season because Indy could NOT run on them. Conversely, INdy stayed in the game because they had a pair of DE's (Freeney and Mathis) that were just pounding Rivers all night.

And in the Arizona game, Ryan had pretty good numbers but the bottom line is that pass rush, led by FA Bertrand Berry harrassed him all day long.

We have the worst 4-man pass rush I've ever seen, and we also don't stop the run unless we bring extra guys (Scott, Whitner, Whomever) into the box.

Chris Kelsay has GOT to go (or get benched) and Denney is good but not "starter" good. If Schobel comes back we need a dominating DE next to him,and if Schobel isn't good we need two of them.

Kyle Williams is a borderline starter but a VERY solid rotational guy. I'd like to see a better starter there as well.

At any rate, before anything else in FA and draft, I really hope we're smart enough to put our money into our DL. Let me take that back, we already put big money into our DL (SChobel, Kelsay overpaid as hell) and Williams got an extension..I hope that we reinvest in our DL, but this time with better players.

Totally agree. Kelsay is the worst; pass rushing DE is job#1.

Ingtar33
01-04-2009, 02:18 PM
The problem is that we are so screwed at DE now that we can't wait and develo a rookie. We need a starter now!!

I'm really hoping that Schobel has to retire. I hate rooting for an injury but I really believe that he's only playing for a paycheck. I think he was one or gutless wonders.

wait... what?

we need a starter now. but you want Schobel to retire? You don't want him to recover and give us 10 sacks a year?

what the hell type of logic is this?

We need Schobel back giving us 10 sacks a year, AND we need an end opposite him that can give us 8-10 sacks a year (i wouldn't mind a linebacker who can add another 5 to 8, and a DT who can give us 5+ either)

X-Era
01-04-2009, 02:42 PM

I think a more accurate statement might be that the Bills have multiple areas they need to upgrade. The concept of a hole, to me at least, implys there is no one filling the starting spot. We have starters on all the DL spots that are returning.

We have true holes at #2 QB, and C.

But, I have said many many times that we need to significantly upgarde this team... at more than one position. But, thats not the same as filling a hole. You see, I can put a patch on a hole and it will kind of work but still leak... we have been doing that for years. We need fortification, true, real, improvement.

That almost always means more money. Doesnt have to just be spending with reckless abandon, but it will take more money to get better. Thats the facts.

That also is a significant hurddle for this FO IMO. They just wont pay what it takes to add a true, significant upgrade at DE, or OLB. They will draft one, but thats cheaper for a reason... they arent likely to play like a top 5 anything from day one.

You get what your pay for.

Yes, our DL needs to be much better. Peppers makes us better, Suggs makes us better. A 1st rounder may make us better but maybe not right away.

However, signing guys that arent top 10 at their position, isnt likely to make us better. Bertrand Berry is an example of just that. Is he better? id say sure, but marginally. Hes not a SIGNIFICANT upgrade. And that is the key.

You can argue that this person who plays for us sucks, and that one does too, whatever. But, Berry is not known for being a stud DE... hes simply a solid starter. Well, many might say Kelsay is too. Even if you only consider Kelsay as a backup, adding Berry only gives us a solid starter. Thats NOT the same as having the Giants pass rushing unit. It may be a slight upgrade, but its not a significant one.

That situation pretty much applys across the board.

We drafted McKelvin in round 1, yet he wasnt a significant upgrade to Greer in year one. If we draft a DE round 1 who ends up with little more than the production of Kelsay, we are basically the same.

And thats just not good enough if you say you dont have good enough talent or you want to get 3 or 4 games better.... 3 or 4 games better is adding very significant upgrades at DE and probably other spots as well.

HHURRICANE
01-04-2009, 02:47 PM
wait... what?

we need a starter now. but you want Schobel to retire? You don't want him to recover and give us 10 sacks a year?

what the hell type of logic is this?

We need Schobel back giving us 10 sacks a year, AND we need an end opposite him that can give us 8-10 sacks a year (i wouldn't mind a linebacker who can add another 5 to 8, and a DT who can give us 5+ either)

Uhh, he had 6.5 sacks in 2007 as a healthy player. In 5 games this year he had 1 which put him on pace for 3.5.

10 sacks? If he comes back you pick the bet on 10 sacks. Whatever you like.

Mr. Pink
01-04-2009, 02:50 PM
This team has no "priority one"

There are many holes all over the team.

DE, LB, S, C, G, TE, WR as of right now...

How is one moreso a priority than another?

PECKERWOOD
01-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Denny's contract is reasonable enough to keep him onboard and he has solid production for a backup. Kelsay and Schobel's contracts aren't on par with their production, I'd like to see us deal them both.

X-Era
01-04-2009, 02:51 PM

C is the only true hole... all the others have players returning that have started

Mr. Pink
01-04-2009, 02:55 PM
C is the only true hole... all the others have players returning that have started

Just because we have players returning at the other positions don't mean they're not holes.

Guys like Ellison, Kelsay/Denney, Scott, Butler, Fine/Royal/Schouman without question need to be upgraded before this team competes to make the playoffs.

Getting one guy isn't going to be the end all be all fix.

X-Era
01-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Just because we have players returning at the other positions don't mean they're not holes.

Guys like Ellison, Kelsay/Denney, Scott, Butler, Fine/Royal/Schouman without question need to be upgraded before this team competes to make the playoffs.

Getting one guy isn't going to be the end all be all fix.

Not what I said. It all is about your definition of "hole".

Moving on, I completely agree with the point that the Bills need upgrades at several positions. And to me an upgrade is something significant and measurable.

For example, repolacing Trent Edwards with someone who throws 1 more TD and 1 less int is not a truly significant upgrade.

Ingtar33
01-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Uhh, he had 6.5 sacks in 2007 as a healthy player. In 5 games this year he had 1 which put him on pace for 3.5.

10 sacks? If he comes back you pick the bet on 10 sacks. Whatever you like.

I agree... he had a terrible 2007, but really what do you expect from the man. he's given us (before he got hurt) 6.5 sacks or more every year of his career. Tell me who else on this roster can even boast a 6.5 sack season? Guess what? Stroud did that exactly one time in his career in 2002.

no one else on the roster comes close.

so if Schobel even in his worse full season is better then anyone else on the roster's in their best season. how can you justify dumping him?

patmoran2006
01-04-2009, 09:26 PM

Well for starters a solid front four makes the secondary better, as they obviously have to cover for less time.