• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

What I love, and Hate about our college draft sections

Just my two cents.

Here is what I love about THIS board and the draft.

* Player Profiles: Not everyone is up to speed with college players. Some dont follow college football at all. Player profiles of college kids is extremely useful. Talking about their stats, background strengths and weaknesses. Possible draft projections are solid too.

* Rankings: By positions, these are great lists to discuss, especially closer to the draft what guys the Bills may be looking at by position.

But Here is what I hate about this board and the draft.

* An overabundance of Mock Drafts: While I respect guys who follow college football and the draft religiously (draftboy comes to mind) I think its simly idiotic to start doing Mock Drafts in freegin early January.

How can anyone take seriously a mock draft that is done before free agency? At this point, with teams resigning their own or franchising we dont even know who is going to be on the market! And once that market opens, teams can drastically change their makeup and therefore, their needs.

IE- You can make a strong case for a safety like Mays or a TE like Pettigrew right now early on? But what if the Bills were to sign a stud safety or TE (yeah right) in FA? It would make the hard work go for naught.

Don't get me wrong, like I said I respect people who take the time to do detailed mocks, and I often throw 1-2 of them out there myself, but I think you guys should be holding off on them until roster moves start to happen.

Just my opinion, but I'd prefer a draft section much bigger in profiles and rankings than mock drafts (at this point)--- especially for people trying to educate themselves on college players, such as myself.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • PECKERWOOD
    Defies all logic
    • Oct 2006

Re: What I love, and Hate about our college draft sections

Mock drafts are fun, if you don't like them I would recommend not reading them. It's also fun to guess which FA's that we're going to target, make a wishlist and hope that it comes to true.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
      • Mar 2005

I agree with Pat that mocks are useless until FA gets sorted out.

What if we get Gonzales? Than TE goes from 1st or 2nd round to 3rd to 4th round.

Comment

• Bmax
        • Aug 2003

The pure suggestion of Taylor Mays is pure stupidity..Just what this team needs another player in the secondary.. This years draft is simple...

Draft the best front seven person available on Def. in rd one...

If we don't then we will continue stay where we are at and never get over the hump

Bmax

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

Are you making a request or just merely making an observation?
          COMING SOON...
          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Philagape
            WIN NOW
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloFever
            Mock drafts are fun, if you don't like them I would recommend not reading them. It's also fun to guess which FA's that we're going to target, make a wishlist and hope that it comes to true.
            I hope it's fun for you, because when I see those things, I automatically move on. I don't give them a single glance.
            "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
            2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• lordofgun
              in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Philagape
              I hope it's fun for you, because when I see those things, I automatically move on. I don't give them a single glance.
              I think you'd have to give them a single glance in order to even know that you are going to automatically move on.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• T-Long
                Circling the Wagons since 1982.
                • Sep 2003

Who cares? Some people like making mock drafts because they are a lot of fun to do. If you don't want to look at them, then don't open the thread? Simple.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                  Dances With Buffaloes
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Bmax
                  The pure suggestion of Taylor Mays is pure stupidity..Just what this team needs another player in the secondary.. This years draft is simple...

If we don't then we will continue stay where we are at and never get over the hump

Bmax
                  exactly.
                  My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• X-Era
                    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                    Just my two cents.

Here is what I love about THIS board and the draft.

* Player Profiles: Not everyone is up to speed with college players. Some dont follow college football at all. Player profiles of college kids is extremely useful. Talking about their stats, background strengths and weaknesses. Possible draft projections are solid too.

* Rankings: By positions, these are great lists to discuss, especially closer to the draft what guys the Bills may be looking at by position.

But Here is what I hate about this board and the draft.

* An overabundance of Mock Drafts: While I respect guys who follow college football and the draft religiously (draftboy comes to mind) I think its simly idiotic to start doing Mock Drafts in freegin early January.

How can anyone take seriously a mock draft that is done before free agency? At this point, with teams resigning their own or franchising we dont even know who is going to be on the market! And once that market opens, teams can drastically change their makeup and therefore, their needs.

IE- You can make a strong case for a safety like Mays or a TE like Pettigrew right now early on? But what if the Bills were to sign a stud safety or TE (yeah right) in FA? It would make the hard work go for naught.

Don't get me wrong, like I said I respect people who take the time to do detailed mocks, and I often throw 1-2 of them out there myself, but I think you guys should be holding off on them until roster moves start to happen.

Just my opinion, but I'd prefer a draft section much bigger in profiles and rankings than mock drafts (at this point)--- especially for people trying to educate themselves on college players, such as myself.
                    As someone who spends a lot of time thinking and sometimes posting about the draft, Id like to think I give predictions as to where someone might go that get increasingly more defined as we approach the draft.

I do sometimes say that a player isnt worthy of the 11 pick, but even that is a rough idea that gets more refined as we get closer and closer to the draft.

So, as far as mocks go, I will sometimes post ideas as to who would seem to fit where based on what our needs look to be. But I ususally only do it for the Bills picks. I dont see much point into trying to guess a whole leagues worth of teams picks, that is just ridiculous to me. But, I dont see harm in it either. This is a friggin fan board and thats what we do.

As far as posting rankings and profiles, its a nice to have, but most of what you find (without paying) is fan opinions, not professionals. I read it, it has some value. But isnt anything you would want to post as being THE answer on a player. Theres a bit of liability for posting another fans opinions as if it came from a pro.

Ultimately, I think you simply get what you pay for here. Posters and readers simply need to keep in mind that its pretty much fan opinion and to take it with whatever value they choose to.

So, I dont really see an issue with people posting what they enjoy and responding if they enjoy to do that as well. The isnt a business and its meant to be fun, why not simply just have patience and tolerance and let people enjoy the board their way?

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                      Peterman Sucks!
                      • Mar 2006

Everyone who does a mock including Mayock, Kiper, Football's future, Walter is no different than the people on here. We're all stabbing in the dark based on ability, need and name. Only difference is they get paid.

Sometimes we get them right, sometimes we don't.

But in the end, it's fun!

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                        Defies all logic
                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Bmax

Bmax

Even if he is the BPA? It depends on your philosophy. Also, if you expect a DE or even a DT to come in and be an impact player in their first year, you're mistaken. Most DE's struggle in their first couple years. By the time the time the DE finally starts to get it, he will be becoming a FA. If we can't pay for an established veteran DE in FA, what makes you think that we would pay for our own? Too long have we been the farmclub for the NFL. We would groom a DE and he would hit FA right as soon as he is starting to get it, and it would be back to square 1, all over again! hooray! It just makes more sense to shell out 50 million for 5 years for a guy like Terrell Suggs who would come in and provide instant production. If you want to take a LB with the first pick, that's fine by me because 1st year LB's have a history of coming in and making an immediate impact.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                          Are you making a request or just merely making an observation?
                          Observation.

Never said they werent fun to look at it, and sometimes do.(I stated I like to do a few myself)

But people who put any stock into them in January are idiots, because they're 100% useless when you dont have the first clue in early January what our roster will look like in late April.

I think when its a month or less until the draft, they start to take more relevence and then should be taken more seriously.

But my observation is there isn't enough draft player profiles and rankings and too many mocks.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• jamze132
                            Don’t hate…
                            • Jun 2003

Any mock I read that has the Bills even remotely mentioned in the same breath as CB or WR in RD1, is immediatly discredited.

This team needs to get both lines straightened out before branching out.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                              Observation.

Never said they werent fun to look at it, and sometimes do.(I stated I like to do a few myself)

But people who put any stock into them in January are idiots, because they're 100% useless when you dont have the first clue in early January what our roster will look like in late April.

I think when its a month or less until the draft, they start to take more relevence and then should be taken more seriously.

But my observation is there isn't enough draft player profiles and rankings and too many mocks.

Keep in mind what the aim of Mock at this point is (ok well at least the aim of my mocks) its to look at different scenarios for the Bills that they find themselves in that will make fans uneasy. Anybody can make a mock and make a good pick a lot of people like. Make a mock where the top 4-5 players on your teams board are gone, and then watch the panic somewhat ensue. You have some who go with BPA, some go with a reach, some call for trades, and others go with a different position of need. My aim is to get people away from thinking that at #11 we should take __________ and if we don't then its a bad pick. Too often in past year we've had situations like that where a ton of guys buy into one players hype (last year it was Owen Schmitt) and when we didnt get him their interest in our draft class was immediately diminished. There are more than just 7 players in the draft class. My aim to help people understand the most they can about each one.
                              COMING SOON...
                              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X