PDA

View Full Version : What I love, and Hate about our college draft sections

patmoran2006
01-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Just my two cents.

Here is what I love about THIS board and the draft.

* Player Profiles: Not everyone is up to speed with college players. Some dont follow college football at all. Player profiles of college kids is extremely useful. Talking about their stats, background strengths and weaknesses. Possible draft projections are solid too.

* Rankings: By positions, these are great lists to discuss, especially closer to the draft what guys the Bills may be looking at by position.

But Here is what I hate about this board and the draft.

* An overabundance of Mock Drafts: While I respect guys who follow college football and the draft religiously (draftboy comes to mind) I think its simly idiotic to start doing Mock Drafts in freegin early January.

How can anyone take seriously a mock draft that is done before free agency? At this point, with teams resigning their own or franchising we dont even know who is going to be on the market! And once that market opens, teams can drastically change their makeup and therefore, their needs.

IE- You can make a strong case for a safety like Mays or a TE like Pettigrew right now early on? But what if the Bills were to sign a stud safety or TE (yeah right) in FA? It would make the hard work go for naught.

Don't get me wrong, like I said I respect people who take the time to do detailed mocks, and I often throw 1-2 of them out there myself, but I think you guys should be holding off on them until roster moves start to happen.

Just my opinion, but I'd prefer a draft section much bigger in profiles and rankings than mock drafts (at this point)--- especially for people trying to educate themselves on college players, such as myself.

PECKERWOOD
01-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Mock drafts are fun, if you don't like them I would recommend not reading them. It's also fun to guess which FA's that we're going to target, make a wishlist and hope that it comes to true.

HHURRICANE
01-04-2009, 12:24 PM
I agree with Pat that mocks are useless until FA gets sorted out.

What if we get Gonzales? Than TE goes from 1st or 2nd round to 3rd to 4th round.

Bmax
01-04-2009, 12:26 PM
The pure suggestion of Taylor Mays is pure stupidity..Just what this team needs another player in the secondary.. This years draft is simple...

Draft the best front seven person available on Def. in rd one...

If we don't then we will continue stay where we are at and never get over the hump

Bmax

DraftBoy
01-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Are you making a request or just merely making an observation?

Philagape
01-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Mock drafts are fun, if you don't like them I would recommend not reading them. It's also fun to guess which FA's that we're going to target, make a wishlist and hope that it comes to true.

I hope it's fun for you, because when I see those things, I automatically move on. I don't give them a single glance.

lordofgun
01-04-2009, 01:52 PM
I hope it's fun for you, because when I see those things, I automatically move on. I don't give them a single glance.
I think you'd have to give them a single glance in order to even know that you are going to automatically move on. :idunno:

T-Long
01-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Who cares? Some people like making mock drafts because they are a lot of fun to do. If you don't want to look at them, then don't open the thread? Simple.

Ingtar33
01-04-2009, 02:12 PM
The pure suggestion of Taylor Mays is pure stupidity..Just what this team needs another player in the secondary.. This years draft is simple...

If we don't then we will continue stay where we are at and never get over the hump

Bmax

exactly.

X-Era
01-04-2009, 02:24 PM
Just my two cents.

Here is what I love about THIS board and the draft.

* Player Profiles: Not everyone is up to speed with college players. Some dont follow college football at all. Player profiles of college kids is extremely useful. Talking about their stats, background strengths and weaknesses. Possible draft projections are solid too.

* Rankings: By positions, these are great lists to discuss, especially closer to the draft what guys the Bills may be looking at by position.

But Here is what I hate about this board and the draft.

* An overabundance of Mock Drafts: While I respect guys who follow college football and the draft religiously (draftboy comes to mind) I think its simly idiotic to start doing Mock Drafts in freegin early January.

How can anyone take seriously a mock draft that is done before free agency? At this point, with teams resigning their own or franchising we dont even know who is going to be on the market! And once that market opens, teams can drastically change their makeup and therefore, their needs.

IE- You can make a strong case for a safety like Mays or a TE like Pettigrew right now early on? But what if the Bills were to sign a stud safety or TE (yeah right) in FA? It would make the hard work go for naught.

Don't get me wrong, like I said I respect people who take the time to do detailed mocks, and I often throw 1-2 of them out there myself, but I think you guys should be holding off on them until roster moves start to happen.

Just my opinion, but I'd prefer a draft section much bigger in profiles and rankings than mock drafts (at this point)--- especially for people trying to educate themselves on college players, such as myself.
As someone who spends a lot of time thinking and sometimes posting about the draft, Id like to think I give predictions as to where someone might go that get increasingly more defined as we approach the draft.

I do sometimes say that a player isnt worthy of the 11 pick, but even that is a rough idea that gets more refined as we get closer and closer to the draft.

So, as far as mocks go, I will sometimes post ideas as to who would seem to fit where based on what our needs look to be. But I ususally only do it for the Bills picks. I dont see much point into trying to guess a whole leagues worth of teams picks, that is just ridiculous to me. But, I dont see harm in it either. This is a friggin fan board and thats what we do.

As far as posting rankings and profiles, its a nice to have, but most of what you find (without paying) is fan opinions, not professionals. I read it, it has some value. But isnt anything you would want to post as being THE answer on a player. Theres a bit of liability for posting another fans opinions as if it came from a pro.

Ultimately, I think you simply get what you pay for here. Posters and readers simply need to keep in mind that its pretty much fan opinion and to take it with whatever value they choose to.

So, I dont really see an issue with people posting what they enjoy and responding if they enjoy to do that as well. The isnt a business and its meant to be fun, why not simply just have patience and tolerance and let people enjoy the board their way?

Mr. Pink
01-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Everyone who does a mock including Mayock, Kiper, Football's future, Walter is no different than the people on here. We're all stabbing in the dark based on ability, need and name. Only difference is they get paid.

Sometimes we get them right, sometimes we don't.

But in the end, it's fun!

PECKERWOOD
01-04-2009, 03:20 PM

Bmax

Even if he is the BPA? It depends on your philosophy. Also, if you expect a DE or even a DT to come in and be an impact player in their first year, you're mistaken. Most DE's struggle in their first couple years. By the time the time the DE finally starts to get it, he will be becoming a FA. If we can't pay for an established veteran DE in FA, what makes you think that we would pay for our own? Too long have we been the farmclub for the NFL. We would groom a DE and he would hit FA right as soon as he is starting to get it, and it would be back to square 1, all over again! hooray! It just makes more sense to shell out 50 million for 5 years for a guy like Terrell Suggs who would come in and provide instant production. If you want to take a LB with the first pick, that's fine by me because 1st year LB's have a history of coming in and making an immediate impact.

patmoran2006
01-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Are you making a request or just merely making an observation?
Observation.

Never said they werent fun to look at it, and sometimes do.(I stated I like to do a few myself)

But people who put any stock into them in January are idiots, because they're 100% useless when you dont have the first clue in early January what our roster will look like in late April.

I think when its a month or less until the draft, they start to take more relevence and then should be taken more seriously.

But my observation is there isn't enough draft player profiles and rankings and too many mocks.

jamze132
01-05-2009, 04:44 AM
Any mock I read that has the Bills even remotely mentioned in the same breath as CB or WR in RD1, is immediatly discredited.

This team needs to get both lines straightened out before branching out.

DraftBoy
01-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Observation.

Never said they werent fun to look at it, and sometimes do.(I stated I like to do a few myself)

But people who put any stock into them in January are idiots, because they're 100% useless when you dont have the first clue in early January what our roster will look like in late April.

I think when its a month or less until the draft, they start to take more relevence and then should be taken more seriously.

But my observation is there isn't enough draft player profiles and rankings and too many mocks.

Keep in mind what the aim of Mock at this point is (ok well at least the aim of my mocks) its to look at different scenarios for the Bills that they find themselves in that will make fans uneasy. Anybody can make a mock and make a good pick a lot of people like. Make a mock where the top 4-5 players on your teams board are gone, and then watch the panic somewhat ensue. You have some who go with BPA, some go with a reach, some call for trades, and others go with a different position of need. My aim is to get people away from thinking that at #11 we should take __________ and if we don't then its a bad pick. Too often in past year we've had situations like that where a ton of guys buy into one players hype (last year it was Owen Schmitt) and when we didnt get him their interest in our draft class was immediately diminished. There are more than just 7 players in the draft class. My aim to help people understand the most they can about each one.

THATHURMANATOR
01-05-2009, 10:58 AM
What else should we do right now? There is nothing else going on. I for one love the mock draft talk and profiles. It gets me up to speed.

dasaybz
01-05-2009, 11:11 AM

Bmax

Taylor Mays is a ****ing beast.

If the Bills drafted him, you wouldn't hear me complaining at all.

DraftBoy
01-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Taylor Mays is a ****ing beast.

If the Bills drafted him, you wouldn't hear me complaining at all.

But you would hear a ton of others complain and rightfully so. While I think S is a huge hole we really need to sure up the DL and OLB slot first and this is a good S class.

dasaybz
01-05-2009, 11:15 AM
But you would hear a ton of others complain and rightfully so. While I think S is a huge hole we really need to sure up the DL and OLB slot first and this is a good S class.

While I agree that we need have other holes on this team, the bottom line is that we need to draft someone who will be able to be in the starting lineup year in and year out. I do not want to reach for some sexy DE pick and have him bust.

DraftBoy
01-05-2009, 11:17 AM

To address this for Pat, my rankings will be release on Jan. 15 or 16 once all the official underclassmen are in. I have them done and they are comprehensive (30 or so prospects ranked per position, because Im that good). So just an update on my rankings. You can view currently declared prospects here;
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=2771866#post2771866

DraftBoy
01-05-2009, 11:17 AM
While I agree that we need have other holes on this team, the bottom line is that we need to draft someone who will be able to be in the starting lineup year in and year out. I do not want to reach for some sexy DE pick and have him bust.
Im not sure Mays can start next year.

dasaybz
01-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Im not sure Mays can start next year.

It's a crapshoot.

Oaf
01-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Where can I find a likely free-agent list?

The Jokeman
01-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Profiles are so much more beneficial as they allow you to learn more about a player. As you can learn about their strengths/weaknesses and you can see how a certain player be better then another for the scheme or type of thing your trying to do. As case in point because we're running a cover 2 scheme we'd be better off w a zone corner then a man on man corner. Also it's really good for DTs, as all too often people think just because a guy is a DT that's all we need to look at but the truth is I feel we need a NT which not all DTs are.

DraftBoy
01-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Here you go Pat and for others;
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=2787526#post2787526

Philagape
01-05-2009, 03:29 PM
I think you'd have to give them a single glance in order to even know that you are going to automatically move on. :idunno:

No, that's a subglance.

X-Era
01-05-2009, 05:34 PM

Well, Id like Curry or Orakpo or Brown at 11, after that Taylor Mays is in the next group in my mind.

DraftBoy
01-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Well, Id like Curry or Orakpo or Brown at 11, after that Taylor Mays is in the next group in my mind.

I can name 9-10 guys Id like at 11, after that Id want a trade down.

X-Era
01-05-2009, 06:04 PM
I can name 9-10 guys Id like at 11, after that Id want a trade down.

I assume your talking about guys that are worthy of the pick but are at a lesser need... QB's maybe.

Well, Im looking at what I think is likely, not who we could take.

DraftBoy
01-05-2009, 06:06 PM
I assume your talking about guys that are worthy of the pick but are at a lesser need... QB's maybe.

Well, Im looking at what I think is likely, not who we could take.

Im talking about guys who are both of the appropriate value for the pick and would fill a need, like at any position but RB at this point.

X-Era
01-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Im talking about guys who are both of the appropriate value for the pick and would fill a need, like at any position but RB at this point.
Heres where we differ.

I seriously feel like you would rather draft warm bodies based on potential than fill holes with true upgrades. Weve talked about this before. You have shot down my thoughts on moving up for someone at a need positon by then listing a slew of positions where you think we need help... even though, you are often talking about 6 and 7th rounders who may not even make the roster and certainly arent likely to be ture upgrades.

Either you are drastically underestimating the current talent, or you are simply fond of large amounts of roster turn over... or both.

We need true upgrades...not boatloads of backups.

I now your talking about a 1st rounder here, not players that are likely to be backups. But, to take guys at non-need positions is a waste of draft picks at this point. We are not a 2,3, or 4 win team here, we are a 7 win team. We beat teams that we should. What we dont do is beat teams that are playoff caliper, in part because our talent level isnt as good.

Drafting guys to replace solid starters with upside is not wise IMO.

DraftBoy
01-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Heres where we differ.

I seriously feel like you would rather draft warm bodies based on potential than fill holes with true upgrades. Weve talked about this before. You have shot down my thoughts on moving up for someone at a need positon by then listing a slew of positions where you think we need help... even though, you are often talking about 6 and 7th rounders who may not even make the roster and certainly arent likely to be ture upgrades.

Either you are drastically underestimating the current talent, or you are simply fond of large amounts of roster turn over... or both.

We need true upgrades...not boatloads of backups.

I now your talking about a 1st rounder here, not players that are likely to be backups. But, to take guys at non-need positions is a waste of draft picks at this point. We are not a 2,3, or 4 win team here, we are a 7 win team. We beat teams that we should. What we dont do is beat teams that are playoff caliper, in part because our talent level isnt as good.

Drafting guys to replace solid starters with upside is not wise IMO.

That entire post has about 6 or 7 different lines of thinking that really have only a small relevance to this thread. Further more if you want to know my theory on drafting (which its obvious you don't) then ask me, don't jump to broad conclusions or assumptions about things. Also please don't accuse me of wanting to draft "warm bodies" not only does that make little sense, its slightly insulting given all the effort I put forth to make sure you and the rest of the people here have as much info as possible come April.

Lastly it is my opinion that if Im picking 5, I want a list of 5 players, if Im picking 10, I want 10. If Im picking 32 I want 32. Now sometimes for whatever reason there may be a guy on there you don't want (not a need, character issues, injuries, etc) so you can remove him. I did that for what I said, I have 11 guys Id take with the 11th pick and I removed 2 for the above reasons. If you want to know my list then simply ask who they are. But please don't attempt to assume you know what Im saying or that you have any idea about my philosophy on drafting. Specifically in the 1st Round.

X-Era
01-05-2009, 07:34 PM
That entire post has about 6 or 7 different lines of thinking that really have only a small relevance to this thread. Further more if you want to know my theory on drafting (which its obvious you don't) then ask me, don't jump to broad conclusions or assumptions about things. Also please don't accuse me of wanting to draft "warm bodies" not only does that make little sense, its slightly insulting given all the effort I put forth to make sure you and the rest of the people here have as much info as possible come April.

Lastly it is my opinion that if Im picking 5, I want a list of 5 players, if Im picking 10, I want 10. If Im picking 32 I want 32. Now sometimes for whatever reason there may be a guy on there you don't want (not a need, character issues, injuries, etc) so you can remove him. I did that for what I said, I have 11 guys Id take with the 11th pick and I removed 2 for the above reasons. If you want to know my list then simply ask who they are. But please don't attempt to assume you know what Im saying or that you have any idea about my philosophy on drafting. Specifically in the 1st Round.

OK, lets try this again...

Whats your list of needs for this team this offseason?

Whos your list of 9-10 guys that you would take at 11?

BTW, please dont accuse me of having 6 or 7 different lines of thinking, I only have one.. get better as soon as is physically possible. I see trading up for an impact player as fitting that methodology, and expecting 5, 6, or 7 rounders to become solid backups day one as not.

jamze132
01-06-2009, 06:47 AM

Do us all a favor and if you have any WRs or CBs in your list of 9, please remove them as it would be absolutely stupid to pick them at #11, based on where this team currently is. Thanks.

DraftBoy
01-06-2009, 08:33 AM
Do us all a favor and if you have any WRs or CBs in your list of 9, please remove them as it would be absolutely stupid to pick them at #11, based on where this team currently is. Thanks.

No it wouldnt and to assume so is to continue on accepting medocrity. We have only one complete position on this team and that's RB. We don't have a #2 WR, we don't have any depth at CB (especially if Greer leaves). To say we don't need one is just wrong.

DraftBoy
01-06-2009, 08:34 AM
OK, lets try this again...

Whats your list of needs for this team this offseason?

Whos your list of 9-10 guys that you would take at 11?

BTW, please dont accuse me of having 6 or 7 different lines of thinking, I only have one.. get better as soon as is physically possible. I see trading up for an impact player as fitting that methodology, and expecting 5, 6, or 7 rounders to become solid backups day one as not.

Needs (In no particular order):
QB
WR-2
TE
OT
OG
OC
DE
DT
OLB
ILB
CB
FS
SS
K

My list for #11 (again in no particular order):
Curry
Johnson
Orakpo
Jenkins
Oher
Smith
Crabtree
Stafford
Bradford

Eliminated Moreno and Wells due to being RB.

jamze132
01-07-2009, 03:15 AM
No it wouldnt and to assume so is to continue on accepting medocrity. We have only one complete position on this team and that's RB. We don't have a #2 WR, we don't have any depth at CB (especially if Greer leaves). To say we don't need one is just wrong.
100% disagree. This offense has the luxury of having some of the best field position of all the teams in the NFL due to their outstanding ST play. Shorter fields will lead to more points only if Trent has more time in the pocket and if Lynch has more room to run. We do not need to draft another receiver in RD1 until our O-line is better. I agree we don't have a legitimate #2 receiver (or a #1 for that matter) but at this stage, we need to win the fight in the trenches.

And we do not need another ****ing CB in RD1. You get a pass rush and our CBs will play much better. You can go out and get the best DBs all day and if you can't rush the passer, 90% of the QBs in the NFL are still going to find an open receiver. But the moment you flush that QB out of the pocket, or put him under duress, mistakes are made, hence more turnovers. We can shore up the depth at CB either through FA or later in the draft, but not in RD1 where more pressing needs are currently present.

The only two positions that make sense for us this year in RD1 are DE and LB. A pick of anything else, outside O-line, is bad business for this team this year. And don't tell me that at #11, someone from one of those two positions won't be available that could make an immediate impact, unlike WR or CB who take time to develop, the majority of the time.

X-Era
01-07-2009, 06:53 AM
Needs (In no particular order):
QB
WR-2
TE
OT
OG
OC
DE
DT
OLB
ILB
CB
FS
SS
K

My list for #11 (again in no particular order):
Curry
Johnson
Orakpo
Jenkins
Oher
Smith
Crabtree
Stafford
Bradford

Eliminated Moreno and Wells due to being RB.

So, I made the comment that you seem to seek large amounts of turnover on our roster. And you give me that list of needs?

Are you saying that we should keep every pick so as to fill as many of your list of needs as possible?

DraftBoy
01-07-2009, 09:47 AM
I'm saying we don't have enough money and cap room to properly fill out the roster to the level of talent I'd prefer. You have advocated before a trade up to ensure we land a highly skilled player. I disagree with that because it will cost us picks that we desperately need. I'm not advocating turnover as much as I am adding a lot of competition.

X-Era
01-07-2009, 11:23 AM
I'm saying we don't have enough money and cap room to properly fill out the roster to the level of talent I'd prefer. You have advocated before a trade up to ensure we land a highly skilled player. I disagree with that because it will cost us picks that we desperately need. I'm not advocating turnover as much as I am adding a lot of competition.

I cant see that hardly any 5t, 6th, or 7th rounders are better players than the existing backups we have.

We keep 53. Theres no need in simply getting filling out the training camp roster with draft picks, only to cut them before the season starts.

Whats the point in drafting LB's late when were likely to simply use UDFA's to do the same sub-par job? Yet you could turn those picks into moving up for guys that are alot more likely to really help you.

Your list is simply unnecessary turn over. We dont need more sub-par players at those positions, and the picks you would liuke to use to get them arent likely to be any better. Its just urn over for the sake of new war bodies, IMO.

Lets look at it specifically:

Im saying that there are a few categories that you can put our needs into:

TNH (True need, hole)- there is no returning starter

TN (True need)- we have a returning starter but we know we need to be better. This could apply to anyone obviously, but there are certainly positions we must improve versus could simply get better. This also assumes that we (The Bills) are not comfortable with our starter. QB is one that may or may not be considered a true need.

DN (Depth need)- IMO, we need to improve the quality of our depth in many areas, but we could do that in many different ways like UDFA's, other teams releases, etc... just as easy as drafting them. This category alos applys to situations where we want a better starter but may already have players that look to be able to develop into the role.

(TCN)- We have a returning starter thats solid, and/or have depth, and simply need to fill out a TC roster.

-------------------------
QB- DN

Backup needed. Losmans gone, we need a guy who can at least compete and more likely beat out Hamdan

WR-2- DN

We have guys returning who look to be able to fill the need. We need it, but we have other more important needs considering we are bringing back so many guys that are here and have upside.

TE- TN

we need a new playmaking starter, We have a glut of backups. Do we need a true playmaker? absolutely... thats not likely a later round pick but an earlier one.

OT- DN

Only need to improve depth, We have to upgrade Chambers... we could get competition for him with a UDFA, a cheap vet, or another teams cast off. Yes, you can draft one, but its an easy spot to fill and we dont have to

OG- DN

Agree but not a true need, only looking for depth, we have two solid starters, the most likely way to upgrade one of them through the draft is early and we have other needs. If we draft one later, its for depth, and we can get that many other ways as well.

OC- TNH

Major need (true need), we need a starter. Assuming we dont address it in FA, we need one as early as possible to get the best chance at a good one.

DE- TN

Major need (true need), we need a guy who can get consistent pressure against some of the leagues best OL (NE, and the Jets, and at some level Mia), need to get the best we can, needs to be an early pick. If not, we have plenty of guys returning and its not necessary to spend a pick on one.

DT- DN

We dont need a starter (marginal need), we need a rotational DT, a mid rounder could do that, but so could a 2nd or 3rd tier FA

OLB- TN

True need, we need a starter

ILB- DN

Need to improve depth. Doesnt have to come from the draft

CB- DN

Need depth, doesnt have to come from the draft

FS- TN

True need, we need a better starter

SS- DN

K- TCN

no need at all, other than to fill out the TC roster.

Looking at that, we have 5 true needs. We are likely (in the Bills minds) to fill more than one through FA, that leaves 3 or 4.

Yet we have 7 picks. We could stick where we are and fill alot of our needs, but still not all. Or, we could fill our depth needs other ways and spend some of those picks to move up for guys that we think will be really special. If we do that we lose vrtually NOTHING IMO since those later picks simply represent depth that can be had many different ways. ALL the rest can come from other sources just as easily as a draftee. A 5th round OT for example, doesnt look to be any better of an option than a backup vet who is in FA, or your own returning backup (Demetrius Bell, Kirk Chambers). Thats a pick that could be used then to move up for a player that you think could be something really great, or even just a better rated prospect that what your likely to have naturally fall to you.

Curry is an example, you and I think its likely he wont be there and I think there is a huge drop off at OLB after that. Is it worth trading up to get him then? even if it means moving a 3rd and 5th? YES! That 3rd could be the next Chris Ellis, and that 5th could be the next Bowen. Neither of which did anything for us and both of which had other players who played just as good (Copeland Bryan obtained without using a draft pick).

Picks are picks, they are tickets to an unproven player. If we are talking about filling backup roles, we can get guys that are just as good or better other ways and could use those picks to get players that we really want and need.

DraftBoy
01-07-2009, 11:44 AM
I cant see that hardly any 5t, 6th, or 7th rounders are better players than the existing backups we have.

We keep 53. Theres no need in simply getting filling out the training camp roster with draft picks, only to cut them before the season starts.

Whats the point in drafting LB's late when were likely to simply use UDFA's to do the same sub-par job? Yet you could turn those picks into moving up for guys that are alot more likely to really help you.

Your list is simply unnecessary turn over. We dont need more sub-par players at those positions, and the picks you would liuke to use to get them arent likely to be any better. Its just urn over for the sake of new war bodies, IMO.

Lets look at it specifically:

Im saying that there are a few categories that you can put our needs into:

TNH (True need, hole)- there is no returning starter

TN (True need)- we have a returning starter but we know we need to be better. This could apply to anyone obviously, but there are certainly positions we must improve versus could simply get better. This also assumes that we (The Bills) are not comfortable with our starter. QB is one that may or may not be considered a true need.

DN (Depth need)- IMO, we need to improve the quality of our depth in many areas, but we could do that in many different ways like UDFA's, other teams releases, etc... just as easy as drafting them. This category alos applys to situations where we want a better starter but may already have players that look to be able to develop into the role.

(TCN)- We have a returning starter thats solid, and/or have depth, and simply need to fill out a TC roster.

-------------------------
QB- DN

Backup needed. Losmans gone, we need a guy who can at least compete and more likely beat out Hamdan

WR-2- DN

We have guys returning who look to be able to fill the need. We need it, but we have other more important needs considering we are bringing back so many guys that are here and have upside.

TE- TN

we need a new playmaking starter, We have a glut of backups. Do we need a true playmaker? absolutely... thats not likely a later round pick but an earlier one.

OT- DN

Only need to improve depth, We have to upgrade Chambers... we could get competition for him with a UDFA, a cheap vet, or another teams cast off. Yes, you can draft one, but its an easy spot to fill and we dont have to

OG- DN

Agree but not a true need, only looking for depth, we have two solid starters, the most likely way to upgrade one of them through the draft is early and we have other needs. If we draft one later, its for depth, and we can get that many other ways as well.

OC- TNH

Major need (true need), we need a starter. Assuming we dont address it in FA, we need one as early as possible to get the best chance at a good one.

DE- TN

Major need (true need), we need a guy who can get consistent pressure against some of the leagues best OL (NE, and the Jets, and at some level Mia), need to get the best we can, needs to be an early pick. If not, we have plenty of guys returning and its not necessary to spend a pick on one.

DT- DN

We dont need a starter (marginal need), we need a rotational DT, a mid rounder could do that, but so could a 2nd or 3rd tier FA

OLB- TN

True need, we need a starter

ILB- DN

Need to improve depth. Doesnt have to come from the draft

CB- DN

FS- TN

True need, we need a better starter

SS- DN

K- TCN

no need at all, other than to fill out the TC roster.

Looking at that, we have 5 true needs. We are likely (in the Bills minds) to fill more than one through FA, that leaves 3 or 4.

Yet we have 7 picks. We could stick where we are and fill alot of our needs, but still not all. Or, we could fill our depth needs other ways and spend some of those picks to move up for guys that we think will be really special. If we do that we lose vrtually NOTHING IMO since those later picks simply represent depth that can be had many different ways. ALL the rest can come from other sources just as easily as a draftee. A 5th round OT for example, doesnt look to be any better of an option than a backup vet who is in FA, or your own returning backup (Demetrius Bell, Kirk Chambers). Thats a pick that could be used then to move up for a player that you think could be something really great, or even just a better rated prospect that what your likely to have naturally fall to you.

Curry is an example, you and I think its likely he wont be there and I think there is a huge drop off at OLB after that. Is it worth trading up to get him then? even if it means moving a 3rd and 5th? YES! That 3rd could be the next Chris Ellis, and that 5th could be the next Bowen. Neither of which did anything for us and both of which had other players who played just as good (Copeland Bryan obtained without using a draft pick).

Picks are picks, they are tickets to an unproven player. If we are talking about filling backup roles, we can get guys that are just as good or better other ways and could use those picks to get players that we really want and need.

And the problem with your entire philosophy is bolded above. For whatever reason you seem to think (based on this post) that depth isnt a big deal that we don't really need it. I disagree, and to say the job people do on the field regardless if your a ST gunner or a Long Snapper is "sub-par" is just wrong. You don't win championships without good role players to support your superstars (which we only have one of). You don't seem to agree with that, which is fine.

And yes we only get to keep 61 players on our squad, but Id love to go to camp with over 100, there is nothing wrong with competition, it brings out the best and worst in players.

Typ0
01-07-2009, 12:23 PM
people who do excessive mock drafts have way too much time on their hands and probably jerk off a lot.

X-Era
01-07-2009, 01:00 PM
And the problem with your entire philosophy is bolded above. For whatever reason you seem to think (based on this post) that depth isnt a big deal that we don't really need it. I disagree, and to say the job people do on the field regardless if your a ST gunner or a Long Snapper is "sub-par" is just wrong. You don't win championships without good role players to support your superstars (which we only have one of). You don't seem to agree with that, which is fine.

And yes we only get to keep 61 players on our squad, but Id love to go to camp with over 100, there is nothing wrong with competition, it brings out the best and worst in players.

YOu completely missed it... I dont know how, but you did. No one said depth isnt important. I want it as much as the next guy and I want it to be quality. Thats the issue, because neither UDFA's nor 5th, 6th, 7th rounders are likely to give us QUALITY depth.

Im saying we need guys like Jim Jeffcoat, or vets that are late in their careers but who can play in a rotation or even for a few games at a solid level. THAT is quality depth. Not guys who take their first 3 years developing into a player only to be let walk after their rookie contracts.

That is what we do now with guys like Wendling, Digi, Corto, Merz, probably Bowen, Schouman, etc...

But thats what I would do, not what the Bills would. The Bills continue to count on UDFA's or other teams cam fodder to be backups for them. And thats where I am saying that if we are going to end up having UDFA's, and /or third tier vets as backups, why not move the later round picks when you can actually get a high rated player for them.

Its pointless to hang on to them like they are gold when the aforementioned other options are just as good/bad depending on how you want to look at it. Spend them to move up into the 2nd again for a true need player that really looks like a fit, you can replace the "player" that you lost through the aforementioned avenues.

I think some people suffer from the thrill of picking a late round gem, thats all well and good but they are few and far between and we keep missing the boat on blue chippers since we sit in the middle of the 1st.

We need a few good men, not boatloads of backups.

The Jokeman
01-07-2009, 01:03 PM
people who do excessive mock drafts have way too much time on their hands and probably jerk off a lot.
we have to do something between jerking off so leave us alone.