PDA

View Full Version : Is Owen Daniels a FA?

patmoran2006
01-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Is Houston TE Owen Daniels a FA? I got this quote from a Mark Gaughn chat.

"They need a serious pass catching TE weapon. It would fit Trent's game. - There may be an answer in free agency. Bo Scaife-Tenn. Owen Daniels-Hou. If they don't re-sign before free agency starts. I think that would solve the problem. Daniels was No. 3 in NFL among TE rec. yards. ... It's an absolute must. "

But I havent seen Daniels on any FA list? ANyone follow the TExans and/or know if this guy is eligible for FA?

If he is, he would become a HIGH priority in my book. And BTW, whomever the player is, Gaughn is right.. getting a GOOD tight end for a QB like Trent is an "absolute must"

patmoran2006
01-04-2009, 10:15 AM
BTW,
Daniels had 70 catches for 862 yards last year, third most in yards among TE's.

jimbohastle51
01-04-2009, 10:38 AM
he would be the perfect TE for us, i think he is a RFA if so we can always tender him and see if they match.

Griz78
01-04-2009, 11:05 AM
RFA

HHURRICANE
01-04-2009, 11:09 AM
After watching the Chargers game yesterday there is no doubt that TE has to be our number one priority. Gates made that Heyseed QB look great yesterday.

I could live with doing nothing on a vet #2 WR because I really think Johnson is big and fast enough to step up.

A real TE would really make a huge difference. Hardy is looking like a crappy pick because we could have addressed this with several TEs that were in last years draft.

Ickybaluky
01-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Daniels is one of the best pass-catching TE in the NFL.

He signed a 4-year contract in 2006 when he was drafted, thus he isn't scheduled for free agency until 2010.

Michael82
01-04-2009, 01:12 PM
According to this site, he's a UFA and he's one of the first guys I would call immediately at midnight. :up:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/fa/wr.html

Coach Sal
01-04-2009, 02:06 PM
Is Houston TE Owen Daniels a FA? I got this quote from a Mark Gaughn chat.

"They need a serious pass catching TE weapon. It would fit Trent's game. - There may be an answer in free agency. Bo Scaife-Tenn. Owen Daniels-Hou. If they don't re-sign before free agency starts. I think that would solve the problem. Daniels was No. 3 in NFL among TE rec. yards. ... It's an absolute must. "

But I havent seen Daniels on any FA list? ANyone follow the TExans and/or know if this guy is eligible for FA?

If he is, he would become a HIGH priority in my book. And BTW, whomever the player is, Gaughn is right.. getting a GOOD tight end for a QB like Trent is an "absolute must"

First, Pat, this is the first smart thing you've ever written. Just kidding. But I do LOVE Daniels. He's a beast.

However, to add to the confusion on whether or not he is a FA, this is from Rotoworld:
7/9/2006: Signed a four-year contract.
2008: $445,000
2009: $530,000
2010: Free Agent

So, I don't think he's available.

That being said, I actually thnk Derek Fine is going to be a good TE in the NFL. I watched him in mini/training camp before his injury and thought he had good hands and ran decent routes. But he also blocked very, very well, which means he could play on run downs and still be a threat to catch the ball.

methos4ever
01-04-2009, 02:16 PM
In his contract, he had (with playing time incentives) the right to void next year, which has been triggered. He's an RFA.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/Free+Agency/2008/listbypos.htm#te

Coach Sal
01-04-2009, 02:22 PM
In his contract, he had (with playing time incentives) the right to void next year, which has been triggered. He's an RFA.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/Free+Agency/2008/listbypos.htm#te

Good find.

Thanks.

patmoran2006
01-04-2009, 09:23 PM
So he's a RFA.

I'd fully expect Houston to give him the highest tender they can, and it would cost alot to get him (compensation)

Goobylal
01-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Yeah, they'll definitely put the 1st round tender on him. Next!

ghz in pittsburgh
01-05-2009, 05:50 AM
I agree with Sal. I think Fine will be our Owens type of player and I think Shouman is quality, too. I just think next year Royal falls back to the situation in Washington where he again becomes a blocking TE, playing second fiddle to Fine.

jamze132
01-05-2009, 06:08 AM
I agree with Sal. I think Fine will be our Owens type of player and I think Shouman is quality, too. I just think next year Royal falls back to the situation in Washington where he again becomes a blocking TE, playing second fiddle to Fine.
I'm ready to give Robert Royal the Tim Anderson treatment.

He is my new least favorite player on the Bills.

methos4ever
01-05-2009, 07:22 AM
Yeah, they'll definitely put the 1st round tender on him. Next!

I think that they'll put the first and third on him just to be sure. But Bo Scaife is still available as a regular UFA. If we want the pure pass catching TE, he's an option. We'd have to pay him big cashola, but he's an option...