PDA

View Full Version : Just Saw a Piece on the Fins on ESPN...

topher180
01-04-2009, 11:19 AM
..and it just reemphasizes how inept the Bills organization is. The fact that a dreadful team can go from one win to a division championship reemphasizes how mediocre the league is, but to me blows holes in any logic for keeping Jauron around and having a Marketing guru as your "GM".

So Parcels is brought in as we all know. We know he's not an executive but he's a football mind and is in touch with what it takes personnel wise to win. His tutelage brought on a huge roster overhaul. Not with overspending. Not with only practice squad guys. Just the right pieces. Sometimes I get annoyed with analysts giving to much credit for pure name recognition, but in this piece they show The Tuna on the field during practice. He has in fingers in everything because he is respected and frankly intimidates people. He's not a "nice guy" and probably isn't "well liked" by the players. Do you think Russ Brandon is on the practice field in his suit? Exactly.

Then the talk turned to Sparano. This wasn't a big name guy, he was a Parcell's guy. He was a line coach and assistant head coach. He played under a winner and big shock, is looking like a winner himself. This one fan does believe in coaching trees. Think about the "pedigree" of our coaches.

Color me jealous.

I'm just so fired up, I'm probably not orginizing my thoughts that well. Please help me out.

Mahdi
01-04-2009, 11:30 AM
..and it just reemphasizes how inept the Bills organization is. The fact that a dreadful team can go from one win to a division championship reemphasizes how mediocre the league is, but to me blows holes in any logic for keeping Jauron around and having a Marketing guru as your "GM".

So Parcels is brought in as we all know. We know he's not an executive but he's a football mind and is in touch with what it takes personnel wise to win. His tutelage brought on a huge roster overhaul. Not with overspending. Not with only practice squad guys. Just the right pieces. Sometimes I get annoyed with analysts giving to much credit for pure name recognition, but in this piece they show The Tuna on the field during practice. He has in fingers in everything because he is respected and frankly intimidates people. He's not a "nice guy" and probably isn't "well liked" by the players. Do you think Russ Brandon is on the practice field in his suit? Exactly.

Then the talk turned to Sparano. This wasn't a big name guy, he was a Parcell's guy. He was a line coach and assistant head coach. He played under a winner and big shock, is looking like a winner himself. This one fan does believe in coaching trees. Think about the "pedigree" of our coaches.

Color me jealous.

I'm just so fired up, I'm probably not orginizing my thoughts that well. Please help me out.
Parcells came into a great situation, a team needing a re-build, high draft choices, and the right players coming out in the draft to pick from that fit his defense. The problem for the Bills unfortunately is that the players we need to play DE, TE, WR, have not been available in FA or the draft. We havent missed out on any DEs that would have helped this team and the scheme succeed, TE has also been scarce in FA and the draft especially when we were selecting.

Parcells also had Joey Porter already so his pass rush problem was solved, not to mention a couple of other solid LBs. Once we get solid DE play and consistency at QB we'll be fine.

We also should remember that as an organization we decided to move ahead with a young QB coupled with a young team. The Dolphins went with the quick fix in Pennington, thats the main reason they leap frogged us.

Owen DeBoard
01-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Parcells came into a great situation, a team needing a re-build, high draft choices, and the right players coming out in the draft to pick from that fit his defense. The problem for the Bills unfortunately is that the players we need to play DE, TE, WR, have not been available in FA or the draft. We havent missed out on any DEs that would have helped this team and the scheme succeed, TE has also been scarce in FA and the draft especially when we were selecting.

Parcells also had Joey Porter already so his pass rush problem was solved, not to mention a couple of other solid LBs. Once we get solid DE play and consistency at QB we'll be fine.

We also should remember that as an organization we decided to move ahead with a young QB coupled with a young team. The Dolphins went with the quick fix in Pennington, thats the main reason they leap frogged us.
Parcells deserves credit for what he did. You act like they didnt have a pass rush until Porter got there but they had a guy by the name of Jason Taylor that wasnt to bad their last year. Like him or hate him but Parcells did turn that team around.

Mahdi
01-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Parcells deserves credit for what he did. You act like they didnt have a pass rush until Porter got there but they had a guy by the name of Jason Taylor that wasnt to bad their last year. Like him or hate him but Parcells did turn that team around.
Im not taking anything away from Parcells. He deserves all the credit for what Miami is doing, he built a team according to what the specs of his scheme requires. Im just saying he was also fortunate that he had some critical pieces in place and had the opportunity to add the players he needed through the draft and FA.

!Papacrunk!
01-04-2009, 01:35 PM
this Ravens defense today is mighty mean! The Ravens offense hasn't been too shabby either. Unless they can really make some changes, it's going to be a big uphill battle the second half!

Typ0
01-04-2009, 02:16 PM
give Tuna credit for helping out...but you can go right ahead and give the most credit to Brett Favre for cryami getting a chance to play today.

justasportsfan
01-05-2009, 04:06 PM
makes you wonder how some people here can still defend Dick after 3 years of going 7-9. That's not even being mediocre. I guess some fans love losing.

Goobylal
01-05-2009, 04:41 PM
LOL! You know who I credit with the success of the Dols this year? The Jets. If they hadn't traded for Favre and released Pennington, the Dols would have gone into the season with Josh McCown, John Beck, and Chad Henne at QB. Considering that Pennington was 2nd in MVP voting, it's apparent that his presence was a major reason for the turnaround. None of the other guys would have done nearly as well.

Ah, but next you'll say Parcells should be given credit in picking-up Pennington. That's because he knew Pennington because he drafted him, and no one else wanted him as anything other than a backup. Remember that Parcells signed Josh McCown to a 2-year deal with a $2.5M signing bonus, to compete with John Beck and Chad Henne at QB. That's far from a "master plan."

Mike13
01-05-2009, 08:48 PM

1) We need another solid Pass Rusher, Joey cant do it on his own

2) Pennington wasnt brought in for a quick fix, no one new we'd win as many games as we did, everyone initially saw him as a guy to groom Henne until the time was right, so dont make the mistake of thinking Parcells and Ireland did not plan for the future here.

topher180
01-05-2009, 09:01 PM
You clowns that are in denial can spin it any way you want. He was fortunate to have draft picks and FA aquisions? Dude, he still had to put those tools into action. The Bills have had a few first round draft picks recently that haven't worked out that well. A certain DT and QB come to mind.

As far as Pennington. What if, what if, what if. Bottom line is he was available and acquired. If anything, he should be given even MORE credit for taking the chance when others would not.

Again, you can Fox News this thing one way all you want, but you're still high if you don't give the Fins props.

Goobylal
01-05-2009, 09:03 PM
2) Pennington wasnt brought in for a quick fix, no one new we'd win as many games as we did, everyone initially saw him as a guy to groom Henne until the time was right, so dont make the mistake of thinking Parcells and Ireland did not plan for the future here.
It all depends on how Henne turns out.