PDA

View Full Version : Ed Reed is so good it's sick

Coach Sal
01-04-2009, 02:17 PM
....and he was drafted 24th overall.

Now, I like Donte Whitner (drafted 8th overall, by the way) and think he's a "solid" safety.

But guys like Ed Reed make plays that change games.

The Bills have ZERO guys on defense - or offense for that matter - that makes game-changing plays. Maybe a punt or kick return by Roscoe or Leodis or Terrence, but nothing even close to what players like Reed (or Palumalu) do for their teams.

Those are the kinds of players I want. Just a couple would be nice.

Coach Sal
01-04-2009, 02:18 PM
And spare me, "but he has the front 7 that gets so much pressure" line.

Reed makes plays when the ball is in the air. He makes plays when the ball is near him.

Period.

don137
01-04-2009, 02:23 PM
I agree he s good...While Whiner is a decent safety he is not a play maker. Reed has more highlights in this one game than whitner had the whole season.

Ickybaluky
01-04-2009, 02:24 PM
Reed has an unbelievable understanding of the passing game and does a better job of anticipating plays than just about anyone I've ever seen. The guy is always around the ball due to his ability to read and anticipate plays. He thinks like a QB back there. His game preparation must be second to none, because the guy just seems to know what the offense is doing.

Mr. Pink
01-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Agreed.

Ed Reed is freakishly awesome and probably adds a game or two to the W column all by himself.

Future HOFer w/o question.

PECKERWOOD
01-04-2009, 02:37 PM
I agree that we need playmakers Sal, but I think we lack physical players more than anything. Look at the Ravens defense, take note of Suggs, Lewis, Scott, Pryce and Ngata.. Would you really want to be tackled by any of them? It looks like their biceps are about to explode from their arms. Look at the way they hit people and force fumbles. Who on our defense strikes fear into the offense like that? Stroud? Who else? We lack physical specimens, PERIOD.

realdealryan
01-04-2009, 02:55 PM
And Jim Leonhard was a friggin stud today.

PECKERWOOD
01-04-2009, 02:58 PM
And Jim Leonhard was a friggin stud today.

It's funny how big of a difference coaching makes as well. Their defense is out to kill you until the whistle is blown. It's like a prison break to whomever has the football and it doesn't matter if the ball carrier is wrapped up and being brought to the ground, they go for the kill and hit him on the way down trying to force a fumble. It honestly just goes to show you how big of a joke Fewell is.

!Papacrunk!
01-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Ed Reed is a monster!

Ingtar33
01-04-2009, 03:29 PM

Now, I like Donte Whitner (drafted 8th overall, by the way) and think he's a "solid" safety.

The Bills have ZERO guys on defense - or offense for that matter - that makes game-changing plays. Maybe a punt or kick return by Roscoe or Leodis or Terrence, but nothing even close to what players like Reed (or Palumalu) do for their teams.

we had him ranked in the top 10 of our draft board. he wasn't a need and a top 5 ranked player dropped to us that year (which really blew our mind, he should have gone in the top 5 picks let alone where he did).

I remember Reed kept falling and we tried to get back into round 1 to take him. Just didn't happen.

we had a good draft that year anyway. But i will never know or understand why teams skipped on him.

TedMock
01-04-2009, 04:11 PM
Reed is the smartest safety I've ever seen. Very savvy, very slick, and a flat-out playmaker.

lordofgun
01-04-2009, 04:35 PM
I wanted the Bills to draft him at the #4 spot, but some people said that was way too high. :rolleyes:

Mahdi
01-04-2009, 05:03 PM

How much different do you think Whitner would look with the Baltimore defense in front of him?

While Reed was making plays on the ball Pennington was getting pounded.

patmoran2006
01-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Ed Reed is the BEST safety I've ever seen.
and was Jim Leonhard just that poorly coached and used in Buffalo? Cause this guy looked a hell of a lot better than Simpson, Scott, Wending or Wilson to me.. WTF

OpIv37
01-04-2009, 09:07 PM

a couple? Let's start with ONE.

Hell, let's back it up. How many Bills players are even in the top 10 at their position in the NFL? I'd say Lynch, Peters, Moorman, McKelvin (as a KR, he's not even close as a CB), Evans and arguably Lindell. That's it.

This team is so devoid of talent that it's disgusting.

DynaPaul
01-04-2009, 09:11 PM
I wish Ed Reed was my Dad.

patmoran2006
01-04-2009, 09:13 PM

Hell, let's back it up. How many Bills players are even in the top 10 at their position in the NFL? I'd say Lynch, Peters, Moorman, McKelvin (as a KR, he's not even close as a CB), Evans and arguably Lindell. That's it.

Honestly, and I"m not even taking an intentional shot at the Bills, but NOBODY but Peters and maybe Moorman are in the TOp 10 at their position.

Lynch may be one day, but NO WAY is he a Top 10 back in this league right now.

Evans is not either. TOp 20 perhaps, Top 10-- no way.

Lindell is a dime a dozen and a pure Kick Returner shouldn't even count.

realdealryan
01-04-2009, 11:10 PM
Ed Reed is the BEST safety I've ever seen.
and was Jim Leonhard just that poorly coached and used in Buffalo? Cause this guy looked a hell of a lot better than WHITNER, Simpson, Scott, Wending or Wilson to me.. WTF
fixed.

DrGraves
01-05-2009, 12:26 AM
ed reed is amazing. i wish the bills had good players on their team!

acehole
01-05-2009, 04:10 AM
And spare me, "but he has the front 7 that gets so much pressure" line.

Reed makes plays when the ball is in the air. He makes plays when the ball is near him.

Period.

Having almost no holes on defense does allow him do do his thing a bit better (Roam)....but he looked light years ahead of donte last night...

Did anyone see the rookie Flaco....wow...

That arm is somthing else.

jamze132
01-05-2009, 04:23 AM
I agree that we need playmakers Sal, but I think we lack physical players more than anything. Look at the Ravens defense, take note of Suggs, Lewis, Scott, Pryce and Ngata.. Would you really want to be tackled by any of them? It looks like their biceps are about to explode from their arms. Look at the way they hit people and force fumbles. Who on our defense strikes fear into the offense like that? Stroud? Who else? We lack physical specimens, PERIOD.
Keith Ellison? :idunno:

PECKERWOOD
01-05-2009, 11:34 AM

In all fairness, I'm really optimistic about McKelvin as a CB, he clearly showed flashes. Plus, he did get robbed of an INT against NE if you ask me. He should've had 3 INT's on the year as a rookie, which immediately says to me that he is a bigger playmaker than Nate ever was. Finally, we may have a ballhawk in our secondary.

There is no question that our front 7 needs to get bolstered as well. Lastly, why didn't you have Stroud on your list? I think that Stroud is clearly in the top 10 for his position.

Keith Ellison? :idunno:

:rofl:

EDS
01-05-2009, 02:42 PM
In all fairness, I'm really optimistic about McKelvin as a CB, he clearly showed flashes. Plus, he did get robbed of an INT against NE if you ask me. He should've had 3 INT's on the year as a rookie, which immediately says to me that he is a bigger playmaker than Nate ever was. Finally, we may have a ballhawk in our secondary.

There is no question that our front 7 needs to get bolstered as well. Lastly, why didn't you have Stroud on your list? I think that Stroud is clearly in the top 10 for his position.

:rofl:

Of course, Nate Clements had 3 ints as a rookie, 6 ints his second year . . .

Crisis
01-05-2009, 03:41 PM
we had him ranked in the top 10 of our draft board. he wasn't a need and a top 5 ranked player dropped to us that year (which really blew our mind, he should have gone in the top 5 picks let alone where he did).

I remember Reed kept falling and we tried to get back into round 1 to take him. Just didn't happen.

we had a good draft that year anyway. But i will never know or understand why teams skipped on him.

who's we